Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2933229

Subject: "Yo! Jamie xx's "In Colour" is the album of the summer." Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Thu May-28-15 01:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Yo! Jamie xx's "In Colour" is the album of the summer."

This shit knocks so hard, I'm sure I'm gonna blow my subwoofers.

Shit is real feel good music.

1. "Gosh"
2. "Sleep Sound"
3. "SeeSaw" (featuring Romy Madley Croft, co-produced by Four Tet)
4. "Obvs"
5. "Just Saying"
6. "Stranger in a Room" (featuring Oliver Sim)
7. "Hold Tight"
8. "Loud Places" (featuring Romy Madley Croft)
9. "I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)" (feat. Young Thug and Popcaan)
10. "The Rest Is Noise"
11. "Girl"

http://pitchfork.com/news/59707-jamie-xx-streams-in-colour-as-visual-album/

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Besides that awful Young Thug track, that shit is dope!
May 29th 2015
Na. That shit is the jam b. But holy shit at SeeSaw!!!
May 29th 2015
Yo but real talk this should've been on the album b.
May 29th 2015
good lookin out. threw it on the end of the album
Jun 02nd 2015
yeah, I'm surprised it wasnt on there
Jun 02nd 2015
i wish the gawd damn stream would stop freezing on me
Jun 01st 2015
RE: Excited to hear this.
Jun 01st 2015
RE: Initial thoughts:
Jun 02nd 2015
      the thugger track is just another color man.
Jun 02nd 2015
      "Stranger In A Room" is a typical xx track
Jun 02nd 2015
           RE: Funny.
Jun 02nd 2015
                RE: Both albums are pretty good.
Jun 03rd 2015
It's out today. Pitchfork gave it a 9.3 and a Best New Music tag *swipe*
Jun 02nd 2015
I wouldn't mind 10+ minute versions of pretty much every song
Jun 02nd 2015
So does he go back to The xx after this?
Jun 02nd 2015
I hope so cause this is what I want from them.
Jun 02nd 2015
^^^
Jun 02nd 2015
Already recording their third album, apparently
Jun 02nd 2015
I'm excited about an xx album veering in this direction
Jun 02nd 2015
      I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who prefers their 2nd album.
Jun 03rd 2015
           RE: I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who prefers their 2nd albu...
Jun 04th 2015
Sleep Sound is THE WAVE
Jun 02nd 2015
Try to find The Rest is Noise and Obvs
Jun 02nd 2015
      yup, only $10 on iTunes right now as well
Jun 02nd 2015
three full listens and I'm loving it so far
Jun 02nd 2015
"Loud Places" is ridiculously good
Jun 03rd 2015
RE: After five or so listens, I deleted it out of my iTunes.
Jun 03rd 2015
The live version of "Loud Places" might be better than the studio
Jun 03rd 2015
RE: That was awesome.
Jun 03rd 2015
Sort of strange that he added Girl to this album
Jun 04th 2015
i was hoping for more tracks like All Together Under One Roof Raving
Jun 04th 2015
Anyone still bumping this? The Rest is Noise still has me in a trance.
Dec 16th 2015
Just listened to it last weekend
Dec 16th 2015
Yep! Still listen to it and love it.
Dec 17th 2015
AOTY
Dec 17th 2015
RE: Yo! Jamie xx's "In Colour" is the album of the summer.
Dec 17th 2015

BNueve
Member since Jul 31st 2008
2068 posts
Fri May-29-15 08:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Besides that awful Young Thug track, that shit is dope!"
In response to Reply # 0

bwood
8614 posts
Fri May-29-15 04:55 PM

2. "Na. That shit is the jam b. But holy shit at SeeSaw!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

This album is gonna get mad spins in the whip.

bwood
8614 posts
Fri May-29-15 06:50 PM

3. "Yo but real talk this should've been on the album b."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk28cgCG3Ho

BNueve
2068 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 08:29 PM

21. "good lookin out. threw it on the end of the album"
In response to Reply # 3

along with far nearer.

dillinjah
Charter member
9029 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 10:10 PM

22. "yeah, I'm surprised it wasnt on there"
In response to Reply # 3

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 07:04 PM

4. "i wish the gawd damn stream would stop freezing on me"
In response to Reply # 0

At the middle of the second song aka I need to get a new cpu

Anyone got an alternative stream link or even an in box

Thanks, astral

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Jun-01-15 10:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Excited to hear this."
In response to Reply # 0

Nardwuar: "Why should people care?"
Archy: "You don't have to care. I don't care. If you like it, you like it."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2015/222933

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 02:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "RE: Initial thoughts:"
In response to Reply # 5

I wasn't anticipating something so melodic. Great melodic ideas and interesting chords all over this thing.

The sequencing is immaculate. I love when there was obviously a lot care put into an album's sequencing, but this thing feels like one highlight after another.

Is the XX anything like this? I've honestly never cared enough to check them out, but if it's anything similar, I need to get on that.

The Young Thug track is unfortunate. I love the beat, but it's completely wasted on immaturity. I was hoping it would maintain the album's integrity, but no.

Overall though: definitely in the running for my favorite album of the year so far.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 03:13 PM

15. "the thugger track is just another color man."
In response to Reply # 14

it works because it's different and it stands out.

also the XX is nothing like this. even the tracks w/ romy have more going on than normal xx fare

<--- Big Baller World Order

201cue
Member since Jan 04th 2007
2204 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 03:54 PM

16. ""Stranger In A Room" is a typical xx track"
In response to Reply # 14

So if you like a whole album of sparse cuts like that, go for it.

--------------------------------------
I ain't NEVER seen a hungry, happy muthaf*cka!

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 08:14 PM

20. "RE: Funny."
In response to Reply # 16
Tue Jun-02-15 08:16 PM by Austin

I went to the used record store after work because they're having a sale and I found both of the XX's albums, so I got them.

It was meant to be, I guess.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 09:01 PM

27. "RE: Both albums are pretty good."
In response to Reply # 20

But yeah, nothing like In Colour.

Not anywhere near as good, either.

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 08:40 AM

6. "It's out today. Pitchfork gave it a 9.3 and a Best New Music tag *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-02-15 08:40 AM by bwood

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20458-in-colour/

The sampler is a memory machine. This is true in both the literal sense—memory is one of the device’s key specs, measuring how much sonic information it can hold in its "mind" at once—but also as a metaphor. When you capture and play back a sound, transposing it to a new context, you are "playing" the memories that have attached themselves to the original piece of music as much as you are playing a particular piece of sound. The producer Jamie Smith, better known to the world as Jamie xx, is a sampling artist and a memory artist. He does things with the music he's absorbed and with the associations that are embedded within it. So when we listen to his music, we aren’t just listening to music played by people in a room. We’re listening to his listening and hearing his hearing; he senses memories in certain sounds—some of which he was there to experience the first time, some of which have been handed down to him—and transforms them into something new and personal.

In Colour, Jamie xx’s full-length solo debut, has been a rumor for a few years now. In 2011, he followed his remix collaboration with Gil Scott-Heron, We’re New Here, with his debut single "Far Nearer". It was strikingly different from his work with the xx and hearing it, it was possible to triangulate and imagine the broader and more varied sensibility that served as an umbrella over both. The emergence of Jamie xx as a producer’s voice is part of what made the xx’s follow-up, Coexist, disappointing. It’s a decent record, but once we had a better sense of Jamie xx’s range, it was hard to square that knowledge with the narrow aesthetic parameters of his main band, lovely as their music could be. All along, this one was coming together. One of the great things about him is he works slow and gets everything just so, treating each project as the one chance to get it right. In Colour gets there: it’s the dazzling culmination of Jamie xx’s last six years of work, gathering up elements of everything he’s done—moody ballads, floor-filling bangers, expansive and off-kilter collaborations with vocalists—and packing them tightly into a glittering ball that reflects spinning fragments of feeling back at us.

A key idea embedded in the notion of rave is it had something for everyone. Though rave was at one point very fashionable, it was also, early on and at its best, egalitarian. The platonic ideal of the dancefloor, which is obviously never quite fulfilled, is that the dancers meet as equals. Everyone is on their own journey and there is no judgement, and the right drugs at the right time have helped to bring this starry-eyed vision to life. Jamie xx’s music captures some of this spirit by being terribly hip and of-the-moment but also deeply emotional. It’s "cool" music designed to make you feel, and the mechanism is vulnerability.

There are passages on In Colour where the music is huge and anthemic while being simultaneously open and intimate. Opening track "Gosh" is the table-setter. It builds, one loop upon the next, each new brick of groove slotting into place, until it becomes a sky-scraping edifice whose call-to-motion is impossible to resist. And then, just as the last tightly-bound fixture is put into place, there comes a squelchy, slightly awkward synthesizer solo that sounds like it was knocked off in one hurried take by someone who approaches the instrument with the excitement of a newcomer. When the keyboard falls in, which is still exciting and surprising after many dozens of plays, it’s as if our tower of sound is suddenly crowned by a massive cluster of balloons that lifts it into the sky, Up style.

The view from this vantage point never flags. "Sleep Sound" takes a sample of the Four Freshmen’s "It’s a Blue World" and gently cuts it into pieces, the voice tumbling through time in a manner not unlike what the Field’s Axel Willner did to the Flamingos' "I Only Have Eyes for You", but the whole thing is filtered and submerged, a dream of water that’s soothing even as it hints of drowning. "I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)" features rapper Young Thug and dancehall vocalist Popcaan and while the combination of the three was iffy on paper, they wind up clicking. Thug is bursting with joy as he delivers profane couplets in his sing-song cadence, and Popcaan grounds the music and forms a bridge to the ragga of Jamie xx’s jungle heroes. As the album moves on, Jamie xx moves through styles and textures, everything unified by his highly attuned ear.

Three tunes find Jamie xx collaborating with his bandmates, and, like "Good Times", they show how well he straddles the line between "song" and "track." "Stranger in a Room", featuring Oliver Sim, could be a (very good) xx song and is the only thing here that seems like it could have come from the band. Romy’s melody on "SeeSaw" is all hushed confession mixed with longing, but instead of spare guitar and drums, Jamie xx surrounds it with breakbeats and a pulsing synth that suggests the cosmos, merging the closest possible feelings with the vastness of the infinite. "Loud Places", making brilliant use of a sample of jazz drummer Idris Muhammad’s "Could Heaven Ever Be Like This", is a song of contrast in the manner of "SeeSaw". But the sample on "Loud Places" is warmer and more inclusive, and it’s followed by a brilliantly simple lyric about club-going loneliness and desire that might make Morrissey jealous: "I go to loud places/ To search for someone/ To be quiet with."

That clash of feeling, of being overwhelmed by everything at once while also wanting to zoom in on and live inside the tiniest detail, is the animating force of In Colour. Late in the album, the rush comes to a head on "The Rest Is Noise", a track that functions as the flipside to "Gosh", the party turned inside out, as shouting abandon gives way to a huge wash of yearning. There’s even a small nod to "Gosh"’s synth break as the album seems to return from where it started. It makes me think of a comment from Jamie xx regarding one of the record’s most modest tracks, "Obvs", which is is driven by a steel drum lead. Jamie xx is fascinated by the instrument and has returned to it regularly, describing its appeal like this: "You can make it sound quite melancholy…but at the same time, it reminds me of paradise." It’s not a bad description of how In Colour works. It’s the album as raucous party where the thrill of the moment never quite obliterates the wistful sadness that comes from knowing it will all end too soon.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 09:01 AM

7. "I wouldn't mind 10+ minute versions of pretty much every song"
In response to Reply # 0

So damn good.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 09:30 AM

8. "So does he go back to The xx after this?"
In response to Reply # 0

Does he take more of a lead as far as the sound of the band goes? Both vocalists were on here and sounded great IMO.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 09:34 AM

9. "I hope so cause this is what I want from them."
In response to Reply # 8

I was never really a fan until this solo album. They're albums are little too downbeat for me and put me to sleep. With that said some of their songs do knock.

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 11:31 AM

11. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 9

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 09:34 AM

10. "Already recording their third album, apparently"
In response to Reply # 8

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 04:26 PM

18. "I'm excited about an xx album veering in this direction"
In response to Reply # 8

their debut is a personal classic, but they mastered that sound so thoroughly, the diminished returns on their second album were huge. this could be a nice reboot for them.

--------

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 02:23 AM

23. "I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who prefers their 2nd album."
In response to Reply # 18

>their debut is a personal classic, but they mastered that
>sound so thoroughly, the diminished returns on their second
>album were huge. this could be a nice reboot for them.

Goose
Member since Feb 05th 2006
4635 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 10:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "RE: I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who prefers their 2nd albu..."
In response to Reply # 23

I love the second album. Liked how they stuck to the formula of the first one, but tweaked it just enough.

I hope they go even further into the edm-sounding stuff for the next album.

http://smallkidbigcity.tumblr.com/
www.facebook.com/zgase
www.facebook.com/pages/Goose/207963479294713
www.twitter.com/gooseohio
www.dwightschrutebeetf

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 12:08 PM

12. "Sleep Sound is THE WAVE"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fOHh5Q7Q1E

just a great song

all I've heard besides that are Gosh, Girl, SeeSaw, Loud Places and the Thugga song, which I guess is half the album, but still IDK if I want to buy before I hear the other tracks

bwood
8614 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 12:27 PM

13. "Try to find The Rest is Noise and Obvs"
In response to Reply # 12

Those are stand out tracks as well. The album flows and is well worth your $13.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 04:23 PM

17. "yup, only $10 on iTunes right now as well"
In response to Reply # 13

>Those are stand out tracks as well. The album flows and is
>well worth your $13.

--------

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Tue Jun-02-15 04:26 PM

19. "three full listens and I'm loving it so far"
In response to Reply # 0

--------

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 07:38 AM

24. ""Loud Places" is ridiculously good"
In response to Reply # 0

The whole album is great,
Young Thug's performance is the only cringe worthy moment,
the rest is pure bliss, can't recommend this enough.

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 09:04 PM

28. "RE: After five or so listens, I deleted it out of my iTunes."
In response to Reply # 24

>
>Young Thug's performance is the only cringe worthy moment,
>

No need to sit through that interruption of a song again.

Album flows better without it anyway.

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 08:04 AM

25. "The live version of "Loud Places" might be better than the studio"
In response to Reply # 0

version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB9mSIxXef4

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Jun-03-15 08:55 PM

26. "RE: That was awesome."
In response to Reply # 25

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 06:55 AM

29. "Sort of strange that he added Girl to this album"
In response to Reply # 0

From a mix and concept perspective, The Rest is Noise is the perfect ender. Could have tossed Good Times and put Girl in that slot. But its one of the few electronic albums I've heard in a while that makes sense from start to finish, absent that.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Thu Jun-04-15 11:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
31. "i was hoping for more tracks like All Together Under One Roof Raving"
In response to Reply # 0

Which itself sounds unfinished

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

bwood
8614 posts
Wed Dec-16-15 11:59 AM

32. "Anyone still bumping this? The Rest is Noise still has me in a trance."
In response to Reply # 0

Jamie needs to go solo b.

So glad this album has ended on various best of lists.

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Wed Dec-16-15 09:10 PM

33. "Just listened to it last weekend"
In response to Reply # 32

On the headphones outside. Great album, definitely top 5 for me in 2015

Fav tracks are good times, loud places, seesaw and girl

BNueve
2068 posts
Thu Dec-17-15 08:48 AM

34. "Yep! Still listen to it and love it. "

Top 5 of the year for me.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Thu Dec-17-15 10:23 AM

35. "AOTY"

--------

funklectic
Member since May 04th 2005
471 posts
Thu Dec-17-15 01:19 PM

36. "RE: Yo! Jamie xx's "In Colour" is the album of the summer."
In response to Reply # 0

Shit album. Got maybe 3 spins and then I dropped it.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2933229 Previous topic | Next topic