Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2932904

Subject: "faith evans appreciation thread" Previous topic | Next topic
gilmore happy
Member since Apr 22nd 2015
97 posts
Mon May-25-15 04:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"faith evans appreciation thread"

faith gotta be 1 of the most underrated artists of the last 20 some years

that debut album of her's "faith" is a classic
"keep the faith" was an excellent follow up
"faithfully" was a really good album

then after a few years she came back with "the first lady" and i remember being wowed by that album with that first single "mesmerized" because it was different and almost "funky"
then she dropped a very underrated christmas album, good album

i still ain't checked out her "something about faith" from a few years back and her latest album "incomparable" yet.

but yeah, faith is underrated as an artist, songwriter and producer

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
liked her first album and stuff she did with mary,however
May 25th 2015
She wasn't meant to be a cross over artist tho.
May 26th 2015
      expect Puffy spent big money on her
May 27th 2015
           where does she come in as a singer?
May 27th 2015
                Faith wasn't seeing Mary, L Boogie,Toni brax back then
May 27th 2015
I'm listening to her first album for my first time, damn I'm 20 years la...
May 26th 2015
that first album, "faith" is a classic to me. great from start to finish
May 27th 2015
She released an album late last year that was really, really good.
May 26th 2015
i'll have to check it out then
May 27th 2015
She is EASILY my second favorite female singer....
May 27th 2015
REASONS
May 27th 2015

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon May-25-15 11:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "liked her first album and stuff she did with mary,however"
In response to Reply # 0

she didn't have "Mary's IT and she didn't have Jennifer Lopez's cross over and appeal and that is why Puffy had her in the wings with Kelly Price.

faith is cool however just not a threat threat.

a decent middle 2nd tier act IMO.

liked her voice,and she could write a bit and knew some hooks, however she put alot of heads to nap.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Tue May-26-15 02:48 PM

2. "She wasn't meant to be a cross over artist tho."
In response to Reply # 1

Like you said she didn't have that 'it' factor, she was too low key, but she excelled at playing the jilted lover or lonely wife in her songs, and that character is the meat and potatoes of R&B. She is a great genre artist, and i'm glad she didn't try some bullshit pop song. That said, if anyone can do this generation's song with the impact of "At Last," and sell it the way Etta did, then I think Faith could be that singer. I don't know much about her, but her voice is very authentic for the songs she chooses.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed May-27-15 02:09 AM

5. "expect Puffy spent big money on her"
In response to Reply # 2

she had budgets for videos and PR.

she wasn't some tax write off act.

the reason why i said she didn't have "IT" was because her material didn't hit with folks and she didn't with her persona
and as far as the jolted lover well Mary J Bliege proves the point that Faith never had that It.

faith was a better singer and writer however she didn't have Mary's grit and believe me if Puffy could have sold Faith beyond as sideline wifey suffering,he would have.

puffy knows a thing or three about marketing,he had that ring,judge and ceremony as a bad boy production however he couldn't make faith click with wider audience despite the money on her

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

gilmore happy
97 posts
Wed May-27-15 04:40 AM

6. "where does she come in as a singer? "
In response to Reply # 5

like if you were to compare to someone of say like the 80's or 70's

faith has had an interesting career because while she's had hits, as you said, she never achieved that mary j blige status

i think faith is definitely an unsung act though

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:46 PM

11. "Faith wasn't seeing Mary, L Boogie,Toni brax back then"
In response to Reply # 6

however Faith was a step over Kelly Price,and two cars ahead of Syleena Johnson.

Faith is one of those acts that flirted with the big time and yet could never connect all the way.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue May-26-15 04:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'm listening to her first album for my first time, damn I'm 20 years la..."
In response to Reply # 0

Still sounds greaaat too

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

gilmore happy
97 posts
Wed May-27-15 04:41 AM

8. "that first album, "faith" is a classic to me. great from start to finish"
In response to Reply # 3

TheUltimate
Member since Jan 25th 2005
358 posts
Tue May-26-15 10:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "She released an album late last year that was really, really good."
In response to Reply # 0

I bought Incomparable a couple of weeks ago and I was impressed. It was solid from beginning to end.

gilmore happy
97 posts
Wed May-27-15 04:40 AM

7. "i'll have to check it out then"
In response to Reply # 4

RaphaelSoulLee
Member since May 21st 2003
3765 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:44 AM

9. "She is EASILY my second favorite female singer...."
In response to Reply # 0

...Oh, I'm glad you asked....Jill over everything, ...but Faith, I just love her style..her vibrato (she uses it so well, and it's not over the top), and her interludes were always crazy!!

It takes all kinds to make up a world, son. -My pops

I just live for the comments -Da wiz

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Wed May-27-15 12:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "REASONS"
In response to Reply # 0

I have nothing else to see but REASONS.

https://digife.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #2932904 Previous topic | Next topic