Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2929401

Subject: "CHOPS15 Challenge#8 – Teamwork The Angles" Previous topic | Next topic
_Torchbaras
Member since Jun 03rd 2011
2031 posts
Sun Apr-26-15 03:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"CHOPS15 Challenge#8 – Teamwork The Angles"

Props to HERBIEHOWSERMC for this rounds concept!

Aight, for this challenge to work we need

A) Providers, and
B) Beatbutchers

A) digs up a beat that never quite made it to the finishin line, exports each channel (instrument) as individual .WAVs and uploads those stems, BPM included in the title/comment/tag, to his/her Soundcloud, preferably as a set, filename(s) bein the original beat title followed by the instrument name -

A) then replies to this thread, headline bein his/her name in ALL CAPS. Inside the reply yall can add whatever you want besides the links to the provided stems – random notes, vision for the original beat, wishes for the remix, whatever... All communication concernin your stems and the use of them, plus the actual reworked versions are to be kept under the providers all caps reply, as subposts, for structure.

Remember that puttin ya work outthere like this, doesnt mean you lose prod credits – it simply means you gets to share em with us!!!

B) Chooses a provider, and reworks their beat to make it whole, includin mos of, if not all the original stems. Tweak and add as much as you like, but remember youre dealin with somebody elses groundwork, so do it with respect, I.E. dont just lift the drums, and use em as if they was your own etc. etc....

When ready, upload your version of the beat, with a nod to the provider in the title, I.E. ”HerbOne – Random Joint (Torchbaras remix)”, and post it as a subpost, under the chosen providers group in the thread...

Thats that, now go bounce some dope lines for us to mess with!!!

----------------------------------

NEW Edo.G album FreEDOm coming soon!!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
TORCHBARAS
Apr 26th 2015
STEMS are up...
Apr 27th 2015
Downloaded yours
May 10th 2015
      You know,
May 10th 2015
Dayum, soundcloud cats be cooold...
Apr 28th 2015
      Soundcloud Be Having Some Sound Jackers
May 13th 2015
           Maan,
May 14th 2015
UP WE GO!
Apr 30th 2015
Here's a beat that I'm not sure I want to give up on...
May 08th 2015
No sweat man!!!
May 10th 2015
#2, my take on this.
May 14th 2015
      This is very chill. Nice work.
May 15th 2015
           Interlude challenge it is!!!
May 15th 2015
Hey Torch...
May 11th 2015
YOOO...
May 12th 2015
      RE: YOOO...
May 13th 2015
           RE: YOOO...
May 14th 2015
                Still crazy busy with the move
May 15th 2015
                     Haha, maan, everytime we talk -
May 15th 2015
Reworked The Stems
Jun 24th 2015
Hah yooo Joe!!!
Jun 24th 2015

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sun Apr-26-15 03:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "TORCHBARAS"
In response to Reply # 0

JUST FOXXIN WITH YALL - I aint got no sketches, I only do whole beats lol lol...

Back later. With heat.

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Mon Apr-27-15 06:16 PM

2. "STEMS are up..."
In response to Reply # 1

for grabs @

https://soundcloud.com/torchbaras/sets/challenge-8-stems-for-gun-go

Seriously, do WHATEVER yall want with these. Id rather hear them remodelled into yalls sounds, instead of just a finish-the-job job!

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Sun May-10-15 03:49 AM

7. "Downloaded yours"
In response to Reply # 2

I'll mess with these when I get a minute.

Where is everybody else at?

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sun May-10-15 03:58 AM

8. "You know,"
In response to Reply # 7

I KEEP askin myself that question lol...

On another note, thx for shootin me those files so quick!!!

Ima load them up and see where they take me.

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Tue Apr-28-15 12:59 PM

3. "Dayum, soundcloud cats be cooold..."
In response to Reply # 1

jackin lol lol...

On some, snare has double x plays compared to the rest of the layers... Wonder why lol.

Probably do it myself tho.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed May-13-15 03:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Soundcloud Be Having Some Sound Jackers "
In response to Reply # 3

I think it would've been better to upload all the sounds some place else than there cause as you can tell kats that follow you that make beats (that aren't OKProducers) are probably jacking your sounds when you first posted them up; personally I would've uploaded those files like on dropbox or sendspace.

I will enter the challenge but I'm so behind, I saw the post about the banger joint and I started going thru my collection for a perfect record to sample and haven't had the chance to do anything cause I'm always working on mixes my weekly show, I still got unfinished beats from previous challenges in the past 4 months.

Expect my banger track in the next seven days and then I'll work on this one then try to finish up the other ones in the next month, smh.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Thu May-14-15 01:45 AM

13. "Maan,"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu May-14-15 01:45 AM by _Torchbaras

Im just glad youre gettin some work done even tho its at a slo pace! IMO it works fine to have these different challenges pop back up every once in a while, I think its a dope(r) format compared to the regular monthly chops...

And yeah, I probably shouldve guarded those stems a lil better, but hey, what the hell - Im actually thinkin of puttin out a drum kit sometime soon, so its whatever...

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Thu Apr-30-15 02:55 PM

4. "UP WE GO!"
In response to Reply # 0

Cause I need some sounds to beat up.

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Fri May-08-15 10:03 AM

5. "Here's a beat that I'm not sure I want to give up on..."
In response to Reply # 0

But yeah nothing going on with it really.

Hey Torch, sorry I missed this and then took forever to do something. Thanks for doing this by the way. I went through half of my beats and got kind of sidetracked listening and tweaking old beats (I still think I'm going back to finish all of these beats LOL) and it took forever to decide on this one. This one is pretty recent and I never really had a chance to get it to the next stage of really personalizing it or fixing it's faults. I sort of threw it together and then left it. I think I thought that the loop would be hotter than it was.

https://soundcloud.com/herb-one/233-plan-rough-instrumental-93-bpm

Torch or anybody that's interested in this one, inbox me your email address and I'll send you a folder of stems. (42 MB's)

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sun May-10-15 02:52 AM

6. "No sweat man!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

I always enjoy goin back and findin sketches, theres always some gems in the stash that you forgot about!

Soo, far as your stems go, Ima give it a shot. PM you my mail in a sec!

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Thu May-14-15 03:56 AM

14. "#2, my take on this."
In response to Reply # 5

https://soundcloud.com/torchbaras/challenge8-herb-one-x-torchbaras-plan-teamwork-the-angles

Soo, Ive def. failed at keepin you in the mix here!

Its not a continuation or a finishin touch, much as it is somethin completely new, made from your foundation...

I think its a decent lil interlude/skit, but nothin more than that really...

Ive used tiny portions of the main sample, plus your kick and snare. Added a filtered bass, vinyl static, a clap up under the snare, shakers and some synth fx...

Wudduya think, does it fly?

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Fri May-15-15 03:52 AM

16. "This is very chill. Nice work. "
In response to Reply # 14

Yeah this is dope. It does sound like an interlude though. Hey I think we should do an interlude challenge! I suck at interludes. It'd be cool to set out to make one specifically. I want to start adding them to my projects, so I need to get to making some. /tangent

Yeah this is what I was expecting and I didn't realize at first that I wasn't doing. I can hear the sample but of course can't really ID it. The drums and bassline are dope. I'm really digging the pauses. Really unique, I almost thought they were off until I tried to rap over it to see that it was a regular loop. But yeah put a movie sample, a low-key chorus, or some talking over this and bam, dope interlude.

I hope more people join in I want another crack at this one. When I get a chance I'm going to go back into my vaults as well.

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Fri May-15-15 04:51 PM

18. "Interlude challenge it is!!!"
In response to Reply # 16

Soon.

And yeah, I couldnt take it to "full beat for bars" - simply too lil room to play... Maybe later tho!

And the drums are yours man, kick got that lopass filter but that and the snare I got from the stems...

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Mon May-11-15 09:32 AM

9. "Hey Torch..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/herb-one/torchbaras-x-herb-one-gun-go-off

So I made this last night and tweaked it a little bit more tonight. I think it's where I want it.

The string/piano/bells pattern that you had every second bar was just too perfect I couldn't break it up. Actually I didn't realize you had two versions of the strings when I first made the beat so I was only using the first one over and over again, which was too repetitive. So I was happy to discover that you made a second string chop when I listened to your version again.

The bassline is made up of a sample I added for the first bar and your piano line filtered down for the second bar. I usually never use snares like this but it was sounding crisp, so I couldn't change it. I usually never do snare patterns like this either (leaving one out of the line) but it made sense and I ended up making it only happen every four bars instead of two. After I was done, I thought about taking out the hihats completely, but decided to leave them in because I'm still trying to keep my identity to a degree with this track. I also thought about taking the tambourines out but again I thought the beat needed some connection to my style. Initially I had some more complex hihat patterns made out of half of your snares and another sample but decided to cut them out because it sounding too busy.

So it was an interesting experience. I'm not sure if I should have changed it more to where it didn't sound so similar to your o.g. version, but I guess this makes it more of a collaboration and not just my own thing. I guess it could also use some vocal samples or something to really put my mark on it, but I usually figure that stuff out when I have a concept and start writing lyrics.

Thanks for sharing your tracks, man. This was fun.

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Tue May-12-15 05:05 PM

10. "YOOO..."
In response to Reply # 9

Dayum, its a TRIP listenin to my sounds reimagined and reworked thru someelses elses ears and hands...

I can hear myself sooo clear on here, but at the same time theres something completely different bout the rhythm and feel of the chops!!!

Im guessin this is what bein in the matrix feels like, whole world as you know it changin before your eyes...

I like what you did with these man, its really evident YOU did this from the way you put it together, and thats without givin up on the vibe that was!

Fun for a change and great perspective on how to think ones own work differently, thx for takin this on man!!!

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Wed May-13-15 01:04 AM

11. "RE: YOOO..."
In response to Reply # 10

I was really interested to hear what you would think of this and after reading your comment I'm more clear about my process. I think I 'finished' your work as in it was incomplete as I kept most of your chops intact and just filled in the missing parts in my style but also trying to match the style of the beat. I guess the question is "does reworking mean that I'm "sampling" your track or completing it?"

Thinking on it now, I'm wondering if I should have chopped it up and made something more original. Either way it was a good learning experience. It was very cool to see how you layered the three sounds for your chops especially the piano because I could see that you put it there but it doesn't seem make sense on it's own. Usually piano like that would be incidental in a sample, so it was cool to see it purposely placed there which subtly added another element to your chops. Very cool.

For me I think I would have probably taken it in a really different direction had there been more tracks to work with. It also felt weird to chop up an obvious chop. I've never done that before. Ha ha. Except my own stuff of course. So the bar-2 section I just "looped" basically.

Just like the beat I uploaded. My unfinished beat is more of a simple sketch than a beat that didn't quite cut it. It's just a slightly chopped loop, some bass sounds, and a break. Very simple. I have a lot of "failed" beats that have like 30-50 different tracks. One of those would be interesting to hear reworked since I've lived with those beats (samples) for 10 years or more. I couldn't give any of them up when I went through my beats though.

Yeah we should do this again and by we I mean The Lesson, come on people!!

A couple of years ago I was talking to Denny about doing a collabo beat where one person did the drums and the other person did the music and I even made a track but it never happened. We should do that sometime. Where one producer gives the other a complete drum track with percussion, change ups and everything. And the second person adds the bass and samples, keyboards, live instrumentation, whatever.

-----------
Herb-One "The One & Only"

http://www.facebook.com/Herb.One.Music
http://twitter.com/Herb_One
-----------

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Thu May-14-15 12:38 PM

15. "RE: YOOO..."
In response to Reply # 11

>I was really interested to hear what you would think of this
>and after reading your comment I'm more clear about my
>process. I think I 'finished' your work as in it was
>incomplete as I kept most of your chops intact and just filled
>in the missing parts in my style but also trying to match the
>style of the beat. I guess the question is "does reworking
>mean that I'm "sampling" your track or completing it?"

Im not quite sure bout that myself? I think youre rite, you completed my track, as opposed to me sampling your track and makin somethin new... Both things goes by the rules I guess hah!

The way you did it, makes it hard for me to really give some deeper feedback on the individual layers, since its limited what you added in terms of extra sounds - that bein said, the work in itself deserved the credit, as you actually made it whole!!!

>Thinking on it now, I'm wondering if I should have chopped it
>up and made something more original. Either way it was a good
>learning experience. It was very cool to see how you layered
>the three sounds for your chops especially the piano because I
>could see that you put it there but it doesn't seem make sense
>on it's own. Usually piano like that would be incidental in a
>sample, so it was cool to see it purposely placed there which
>subtly added another element to your chops. Very cool.

Thanks man, yeah I love those HARD piano single notes, so whenever I find em, I hold em dear hah...

>For me I think I would have probably taken it in a really
>different direction had there been more tracks to work with.
>It also felt weird to chop up an obvious chop. I've never done
>that before. Ha ha. Except my own stuff of course. So the
>bar-2 section I just "looped" basically.

Youre rite again, bout the odd feel of choppin an obvious chop - I shouldve kept it more open on my end, for you to have more space to get creative... Next time round tho...

>Just like the beat I uploaded. My unfinished beat is more of a
>simple sketch than a beat that didn't quite cut it. It's just
>a slightly chopped loop, some bass sounds, and a break. Very
>simple. I have a lot of "failed" beats that have like 30-50
>different tracks. One of those would be interesting to hear
>reworked since I've lived with those beats (samples) for 10
>years or more. I couldn't give any of them up when I went
>through my beats though.

Haha, when you get around to that, Ill def. take that challenge on, things would def. be a lot easier with more stems to choose from...

>A couple of years ago I was talking to Denny about doing a
>collabo beat where one person did the drums and the other
>person did the music and I even made a track but it never
>happened. We should do that sometime. Where one producer gives
>the other a complete drum track with percussion, change ups
>and everything. And the second person adds the bass and
>samples, keyboards, live instrumentation, whatever.

I remember that post, I actually wanted to participate but as I recall, theres wasnt really anythin to jump aboard!? The idea was great tho... Thatd be dope!

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Fri May-15-15 03:57 AM

17. "Still crazy busy with the move"
In response to Reply # 15

but I've been meaning to catch up with more of these challenges. I'm also trying to write three more songs before I go and then I'll record vocals for ten songs all together, so also gotta focus on that over making new beats if I have to choose between the two. I'm losing my recording studio by moving, so I've got a find a new one in Michigan when I arrive.

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Fri May-15-15 04:53 PM

19. "Haha, maan, everytime we talk -"
In response to Reply # 17

you always busy on makin another album... Thats good you grindin!!! I always think bout puttin somethin out but it never goes beyond thought lol...

If you get a nice place in Michigan, maybe you could do some stuff at home, and not hafta rent!?

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 11:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "Reworked The Stems"
In response to Reply # 0

I started working on this the first week in June right after I finished up challenge #7, I listened to the stems and sampled each one and then added my own kicks & hihats.

I made one but felt it sounded similar to the original so I just flipped or added more programming to the first one I made; anyway here goes rework

"Gun Go Off (Part 2)": https://soundcloud.com/djjoeyjoe/gun-go-off-pt2-okp-chops-15-pt8

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Wed Jun-24-15 05:06 PM

21. "Hah yooo Joe!!!"
In response to Reply # 20

You def. did this justice, even lifted it a bit IMO!!

It actually feels like a complete beat hearin it like this –

the first 8 bars was really how I imagined my own build, but then you went SINISTER on the chops with the verse parts!!!

The machinegun repeats are hella fresh, and works wonders for a change up or even a beat in its own right...

DOPE(!!!) and I preciate you takin this on!!!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2929401 Previous topic | Next topic