Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2928102

Subject: "20 Years ago this was the most popular music on HOT 97....." Previous topic | Next topic
My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"20 Years ago this was the most popular music on HOT 97....."

http://i.imgur.com/t4uBM0c.png

I used to pick these flyers on my way out of dj specialty shop on castle hill ave in the bronx.. i found one that dates back to about this time 20 years ago.. makes me feel old as shit!!!

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Peep the Frankie Knuckles David Morales house show
Apr 16th 2015
RE: 20 Years ago this was the most popular music on HOT 97.....
Apr 16th 2015
Fuuuuck you. You know what you can do? You can lick the twins
Apr 16th 2015
"I LIKE IT"
Apr 16th 2015
ah the good ol NY days...
Apr 16th 2015
Wow @ King Just making an appearance on the charts
Apr 16th 2015
I wonder what these lists
Apr 16th 2015
RE: I wonder what these lists
Apr 16th 2015
Apr 16th 2015
Apr 16th 2015
Apr 16th 2015
           That was a pretty sobering read.
Apr 16th 2015
           Wow
Apr 18th 2015
           I definitely have mixed feelings on all of this
Apr 21st 2015
                did you get an influx of east coast stuff on radio in late 90s???
Apr 21st 2015
                     Hmmm......well the late night shows always played East Coast
Apr 21st 2015
                     RE: did you get an influx of east coast stuff on radio in late 90s???
Apr 22nd 2015
                          RE: did you get an influx of east coast stuff on radio in late 90s???
Apr 22nd 2015
Here's what it would have looked like for L.A....off the top of my head
Apr 17th 2015
      RE: Here's what it would have looked like for L.A....off the top of my h...
Apr 20th 2015
      Not enough to crack the Top 25 though! And what month was this?
Apr 20th 2015
           these daytime airplay rotation flyers came out weekly....
Apr 20th 2015
                Whoaaaa Lil Jon worked on that track?
Apr 20th 2015
      I was expecting to not know most of this list...
Apr 20th 2015
this was a few months after they infused the station with R&B...
Apr 16th 2015
RE: 20 Years ago this was the most popular music on HOT 97.....
Apr 16th 2015
YO!!! thats most cringe worthy thing on the flyer...
Apr 16th 2015
      I have to strongly disagree, sir.
Apr 16th 2015
      u know, thats a solid call too... she was/is HORRID
Apr 16th 2015
      RE: YO!!! thats most cringe worthy thing on the flyer...
Apr 18th 2015
#29-33...bangers!
Apr 16th 2015
Ya'll were fucking lucky. jeez.
Apr 16th 2015
I never heard that AZ 'Sugar Hill' record ANYWHERE
Apr 16th 2015
I think Sugar Hill's play on Hot later led to that SH vs Country Grammar
Apr 16th 2015
miss jones was a hot97 host so they gave it extra push..
Apr 17th 2015
They played it on the radio a lot in Dallas.
Apr 19th 2015
Nahhh that was in heavy rotation on Rap City!
Apr 17th 2015
They played it on the radio in Mississippi like crazy.
Apr 17th 2015
sugar hill and the remix got played a lot in ohio
Apr 18th 2015
They played it on Yo! MTV raps quite a bit...
Apr 18th 2015
Never watched that show till much later, never heard it on the radio
Apr 18th 2015
V103 in Atlanta used to play it ALL the time.
Apr 19th 2015
it was played on Chicago radio.
Apr 20th 2015
#24 is still that fye fye
Apr 16th 2015
Do any of those songs talk abt "eating ass like groceries?"
Apr 17th 2015
If ODB was still alive he'd prolly remix that song.
Apr 17th 2015
Got damn, y'all really were biased as hell!!!!!
Apr 17th 2015
Why is it wrong for a NYC-based rap/R&B station
Apr 20th 2015
      1995 was the 2nd best year for West Coast Rap, and EVERY other
Apr 20th 2015
           I wonder if labels being smaller and not into
Apr 20th 2015
                I mean, I get it but I think it's just that we weren't just local at tha...
Apr 20th 2015
Memories...
Apr 18th 2015
At the height of my "Fuck the Radio" phase
Apr 18th 2015
Wait...now isn't the height of your "fuck radio" phase?
Apr 19th 2015
      i'm still not down with MOST radio stuff today
Apr 20th 2015
No wonder Snoop and em knocked down the buidings
Apr 19th 2015
Adina Howard = Detroit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 20th 2015
      this is the first i've heard of her being from Detroit.
Apr 20th 2015
           wiki says Grand Rapids, Michigan,
Apr 20th 2015
                lol...that's like saying that Buffalo is a borough.
Apr 20th 2015
                     I ain't ever been there so I ain't know, I just remembered Michigan
Apr 20th 2015
                     lol
Apr 21st 2015
                     RE: lol...that's like saying that Buffalo is a borough.
Apr 21st 2015
in the #1 hit the rapper claims
Apr 20th 2015
#16 mentions a womans "stink box" & later references "farting"
Apr 20th 2015
Just for LOLs here's a flyer from 1990 (Pre Hip Hop Hot 97)
Apr 20th 2015
Whoaaa at Mentirosa being #4!!!
Apr 20th 2015
it was a much bigger song than #1 or #2
Apr 21st 2015
that's an all Miami everything list
Apr 20th 2015
2Live all breaking ground n whatnot... lol.
Apr 21st 2015

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Peep the Frankie Knuckles David Morales house show"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't even remember that joint. Crazy.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 10:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: 20 Years ago this was the most popular music on HOT 97....."
In response to Reply # 0

man I loved that grand puba album (2000)

seriously

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Fuuuuck you. You know what you can do? You can lick the twins"
In response to Reply # 2

when I pull em out the skins, and I put em in ya face, and you could tell me how they taste, and that's the klondike nigga.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

maro
Charter member

3. ""I LIKE IT""
In response to Reply # 0

Grand PUBS

man I wore the doubly vinyl copies of that the fuck out!!.

werd.

Mongo Slade
Member since Jun 28th 2002
2745 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:41 AM

5. "ah the good ol NY days..."
In response to Reply # 0

when NY radio actually played real hip-hop...

"Glaciers of Ice"...

"Sugar Hill baby!!"

http://mephonics.com/

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Wow @ King Just making an appearance on the charts"
In response to Reply # 0

Just behind Jodeci and a few notches about GZA.

Truly it was a different time.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:50 AM

7. "I wonder what these lists"
In response to Reply # 0

would look like for different regions. Interesting to see so much reggae on that playlist.

Thanks for digging up that flyer and scanning it. Looks like its still in great shape, which is an accomplishment in itself.

I wonder how much politricks Flex had to play over the years to stay on Hot 97 for so long.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "RE: I wonder what these lists"
In response to Reply # 7

>would look like for different regions. Interesting to see so
>much reggae on that playlist.

yeah, dancehall was petty big in nyc..before hot97, kiss & wbls has dancehall reggae shows ..nightclubs played long sets from as early as i can remember going out (prob late 92) ..i still think supercat blowing up really paved the way for the mid90s popular hip hop/reggae stuff..

>Thanks for digging up that flyer and scanning it. Looks like
>its still in great shape, which is an accomplishment in
>itself.

i cant take credit.. someone sent it to me.. also the communications act of 1996 pretty much KILLED regional hometown playlists like this (Thanks Bill Clinton)

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:12 PM

12. "RE: I wonder what these lists"
In response to Reply # 11

>yeah, dancehall was petty big in nyc..before hot97, kiss &
>wbls has dancehall reggae shows ..nightclubs played long sets
>from as early as i can remember going out (prob late 92) ..i
>still think supercat blowing up really paved the way for the
>mid90s popular hip hop/reggae stuff..

I remember being in college during this period, and at house parties and the like the DJs had to be just as good spinning reggae/dancehall as they were at spinning hip-hop. Like, they were at times splitting things 50/50 between the two genres.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:21 PM

13. "RE: I wonder what these lists"
In response to Reply # 11

>i cant take credit.. someone sent it to me.. also the
>communications act of 1996 pretty much KILLED regional
>hometown playlists like this (Thanks Bill Clinton)

The hometown vibe of the playlist is why seeing reggae on the playlist in interesting to me. I think it would be hard to crack a reggae song on a Hot 97 today since it would have to be a national hit and not something that is hot in NYC. A big reason why that list has so many reggae artists is that NYC has a sizable Caribbean population. The list in dominated by folks with a tradition NYC sound with some sprinkles of an island vibe, which represents NYC.

Does that Communications Act you reference have something to do with Clear Channel and companies similar to them?

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:36 PM

15. "RE: I wonder what these lists"
In response to Reply # 13

>Does that Communications Act you reference have something to
>do with Clear Channel and companies similar to them?

Yes, exactly... This is one of the best articles i've seen explaining it's impact on regional hip hop. People blame NYC Hip Hop's demise on a lot of different things.. but that 96 Telecom Act killed it the most in my opinion.

https://futureofmusic.org/article/article/effects-media-consolidation-urban-radio

The Effects of Media Consolidation on Urban Radio

Urban Radio: What It Is and Who’s Down
Eric K. Arnold
Friday, May 16, 2008

Let’s cut to the chase: urban radio sucks. You know it, artists know it, and programmers know it too. It offers little room for creative programming, tends to favor established artists at the expense of new voices, and kills any halfway-decent song that does manage to land in rotation by playing it as much as three times an hour. Most of all, urban radio sucks because it rarely meets the needs of the local community from which its listeners are drawn. Commercial stations and their advertisers are more than happy to have passive listeners who don’t complain about programming decisions. But the truth of the matter is that people have a right to demand greater accountability from their neighborhood stations. Since all broadcasters use the public airwaves, they need to honor their responsibility to serve the public interest. Urban radio is no different, yet its lack of localism is even more appalling since stations often market themselves as being informed by street-derived culture.

Generally speaking, urban radio is defined as programming whose primary demographic targets people of color living in urban areas. This listenership is often broken down into three somewhat overlapping market segments based on age: “Hot Urban” (12-24); “Rhythmic AC” (18-34); and “Urban AC” (25-49). Hot Urban stations tend to spin current rap and contemporary R&B, while Urban AC stations rarely play much rap, preferring a mix of vintage soul and R&B with more recent neo-soul and R&B. Rhythmic AC stations fall somewhere in the middle: typical stations in this category program for both younger and older listeners, so playlists include contemporary artists as well as older, “heritage” acts.

Urban Radio is a multibillion-dollar industry controlled by a handful of large media conglomerates which program the majority of the genre’s stations across the country.

To a large extent, the industry’s current state is the result of media consolidation. Over the last twelve years, independently-owned commercial stations have become a rarity, while corporate radio has become the norm.

Where once innovative program directors broke new music by emerging artists and DJs sought out hot local talent, today’s urban radio has become standardized and formulaic. National playlists and a reliance on market research have made DJs little more than button-pushers with limited say in what records get aired. Pressure to attract and maintain the widest possible market share has resulted in Music and Program Directors choosing commercially-established, major label artists over idiosyncratic or developing acts. In this ratings-driven climate, radio that actively meets the needs of the community — whether it be public-affairs shows or programming featuring local artists — has fallen by the wayside. The net result is that the average listener has fewer choices, especially when it comes to hearing local music.

“There is a need and a desire on behalf of listeners for local music on local radio stations,” says Davey-D, an air personality on community station KPFA and Internet station Breakdown FM. Davey spent a decade at San Francisco Bay Area commercial radio at KMEL — the #1 urban station in the nation’s #4 market. Despite demand for diverse and local content, “radio stations around the country have no desire to play local artists unless local artists are connected to major labels or major independents,” Davey says.

Who Jacked the Playlist?

The passage of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 irrevocably altered the landscape of commercial radio. Supporters of this legislation claimed it would invigorate radio, but it actually had the opposite effect. The bill eased FCC-mandated restrictions on ownership, meaning that several stations in the same market could now be owned and operated by the same company. It also continued a trend away from community-oriented broadcasting, which began during Reagan administration. (In 1981, officials did away with the “ascertainment” process, jettisoning requirements that required commercial stations to determine and meet the needs of local communities.)

In the five years following the 1996 Telecom Act, a frenzy of consolidation essentially eliminated independent black radio. Locally-owned and African-American-operated stations were bought out by the dozens and reprogrammed as “urban” stations by national conglomerates. Previously, DJs, Program Directors and Music Directors were able to play music of their own choosing. Since ‘96, market researchers and consultants have determined playlists, eradicating a once-proud tradition of supporting neighborhood talent. As Davey-D notes, “This was a rude awakening with respect to local music.”

In 1997, following KMEL’s purchase by Chancellor Media, Program Director Michelle Santosuosso wrote an open letter to PDs in other markets detailing how the station went from a “mom and pop” operation to being owned by a “massive media company” which also owned 100 other stations, including KMEL’s main competitor. In this industry climate, she noted, “balancing the commitment to musical integrity with the pressures of big business ratings demands is increasingly difficult.”

A decade later, her statement seems truer than ever. KMEL’s current parent company, Clear Channel Communications, owns not 100 stations, but well over 1,000. Yet Clear Channel is only one of a handful of companies which own the majority of radio stations in America and are thus in a position to dictate or restrict content as they see fit.

Urban radio programming has become stagnant, alienating many hip-hop heads who once listened religiously to mix shows. According to Bobbito Garcia — former co-host of “The Stretch Armstrong Show,” a New York college radio program known for featuring unsigned hip-hop artists — “It’s become national radio, not urban radio.” The effect of consolidation, he says, is that “artists started making music not for the audience, but for the radio.”

In today’s urban radio market, the sound has become increasingly formulaic. “Real hip-hop sounds weird,” says Julio G., who pioneered West Coast hip-hop radio at KDAY 20 years ago. Julio, who’s credited with breaking Eazy E., says that disc jockeys themselves no longer have the opportunity to champion new music. “I started with a passion to find the best record,” he says. “Why do I gotta be just another guy playing Plies?”

Matt Sonzala, the author of the Houston So Real blog and the hip-hop booker for Austin’s annual SXSW conference, remembers the early days of Texas hip-hop radio well. He recalls hearing local artists like the Geto Boys and UGK on The Box 97.9, who “blew up because they had support in their own city.” Sonzala claims that, despite Houston’s storied history as a breeding ground for rap music, the only local artists getting any sort of commercial radio action these days are those already signed to major labels.

Like Houston, Atlanta’s urban radio stations were also once known for supporting homegrown artists, whether unsigned, indie or major. Recently, however, a PD who had heavily supported local rappers was let go, and “the scene changed,” says Wendy Day, the founder of artist advocacy group Rap Coalition. Day has firsthand experience building acts through neighborhood word-of-mouth. Before moving to the ATL, she lived in Chicago and New York, where, a decade ago, she worked records for Twista and Do or Die out of Chi-town. Back then, she says, radio was loathe to take on “hard” rap: “we could not get our records played on radio.” Instead, she notes, “we blew it up on the street.”

Street culture is by definition different than corporate culture. Radio, she points out, “is definitely a business. It doesn’t play music to reach people or move a culture… its job is to sell ads.”

From a corporate perspective, it’s easier to streamline playlists from media market to media market than to develop entirely separate charts for each station playing a particular format. Yet a playlist for a commercial urban station can contain as few as 300 songs – a tenth of what the average listener has on his or her iPod. This approach often leaves listeners and artists alike grumbling about the exclusion of local or independent talent.

The lack of concern for the needs of the community has not gone completely unnoticed, however. In March 2008, Kansas City alt-weekly newspaper The Pitch reported that despite a wealth of local talent, the region has yet to produce a nationally recognized hip-hop act. According to reporter Nadia Plaum, “Many local artists blame KC radio, complaining that the city doesn’t have a station committed to pushing hometown music on regular rotation.”

Some in Government have commented on the negative impact of media consolidation on the public airwaves. In November 2007, during the sixth and final hearing on media ownership, FCC Commissioner Michael J. Copps reportedly said, “Did you even notice the FCC is always ready to run the fast break for Big Media, but it’s the four-corner stall when it comes to serving the public interest?”

The Commissioner was specifically referring to the likely granting of expanded cross-ownership agreements for TV stations and newspapers, but media is an extremely trend-focused industry, so further consolidation in any sector of mass media would likely affect all segments of the industry.

Back in the Day

Fifteen years ago, the emergence of the “Hot Urban” format revolutionized what had formerly been called black radio. Historically, black-owned stations (many of which had ties to the religious community, especially in the South and Midwest) tended to be very conservative with their programming. With very few exceptions (like the Sugarhill Gang’s 1979 hit “Rapper’s Delight”) black radio shied away from rap and hip-hop, which was edgier and skewed younger than their target audiences. As a result, when hip-hop became a national phenomenon in the 1980s, it was still largely considered “underground,” despite its obvious relevance and appeal to young people in urban communities. Early supporters of hip-hop radio tended to be devoted fans at college and community stations, who played records that commercial radio often wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot dookie stick. Though small in wattage, these stations’ dedicated hip-hop specialty shows developed loyal followings who would tune in to hear “their” music.

In the mid-’80s, as the hip-hop generation came into maturity, music trends began to shift. Hip-hop and electronic dance music became more popular among young urban listeners, and new sounds began to creep onto the playlists of urban stations via late night weekend mixshows, typically featuring DJs with club backgrounds. Yet hip-hop was rarely, if ever, heard during daytime hours. This lack of support didn’t escape the attention of outspoken rap artists like Public Enemy’s Chuck D, who famously declared “radio – suckers never play me” on 1987’s “Rebel Without a Pause.”

With the rise in hip-hop’s national popularity came a rise in the amount of local hip-hop which was being made in regional markets across the country. At the dawn of the 1990s, it became clear that the demand for fresh urban music was not being satisfied by commercial stations. Long before NYC’s Hot 97 adopted the phrase “Where Hip-Hop Lives,” the genre thrived on college radio, which had few restrictions on the type of music that could be played.

In New York, college mixshows became important outlets for unsigned artists hoping to land a record deal. Garcia proudly notes that “The Stretch Armstrong Show” was the first to play artists like Nas, Notorious B.I.G., Big Pun, and the Wu-Tang Clan before they had record deals. Eventually, all of them became platinum-selling, major-label acts.

In Los Angeles, KDAY — the first commercial station to adopt a 24-hour hip-hop and R&B format — was instrumental in introducing locally-bred artists like Eazy-E, N.W.A., Dr. Dre, and Ice Cube to the world. Although influential, KDAY’s impact was somewhat limited by the fact it was an AM station.

Likewise, in the Bay Area, stations like KPOO, KALX, and KZSU were instrumental in breaking local artists like Too $hort, Timex Social Club, Hammer, Digital Underground, and Paris, all of whom went on to national prominence and commercial success.

At first, FM stations played rap on mixshows, a type of specialty programming which features an on-air mixer. But “as the popularity increased, radio started programming past mixshows,” says Garcia.

In 1991, “The Wake Up Show” made its debut on KMEL. The free-form show, which featured live on-air mixing, interviews, and freestyle battles, pushed the envelope of commercial radio by playing hip-hop music that was considered underground. “The Wake Up Show” quickly became a local institution and later became the first hip-hop program to be syndicated nationally.

Buoyed by the show’s success, in 1993 KMEL became the first commercial FM outlet to program what later became known as the “Hot Urban” format. During this golden age, KMEL earned a reputation for often being the first commercial station to break new rap records, including many by local artists. Its commitment to localism was certified by its inclusion of area talent in its annual “Summer Jam” and by its motto, “The People’s Station.” As Davey-D relates, “no other station in a major market had that kind of freedom.”

In 1994, the Hot Urban format was adopted by KMEL’s sister station, KKBT in Los Angeles. This template soon became a blueprint for other commercial stations, including LA’s Power 106 and New York’s Hot 97, whose formats were in turn copied by urban stations in every market in the country. With the advent of Hot Urban, for the first time, hip-hop was no longer limited to late-night and weekend programming, and could be heard during morning drive-time hours as well. But the adoption of a national, standardized format had another, perhaps unintentional, effect: to limit local access to the airwaves and to push urban culture in a commercialized, mainstream direction.

“It’s really disappointing,” says Garcia, who estimates that these days, there are maybe five good rap songs on the radio in any given year. “It’s gotten to the point where I don’t even listen to urban radio… it’s been softened and unsophisticated.”

It’s difficult for members of the community to demand accountability for what’s being aired in New York, he says, “if the decisions are being made in St. Louis.”

What Has Consolidation Done to My Community?

Studies have shown that to a large degree, localism has been one of the greatest casualties of the post-consolidation era. Not only have playlists become standardized, with the same, say, 100 songs by major-label artists in rotation in every major market, but access to stations by community groups has decreased, as has the number of community-affairs programs. In some cases, corporations have cut the number of public affairs department heads per market to just one for as many as eight stations.

With the decrease in community accessibility has come a lack of community accountability. Despite widespread discontent, commercial stations have only responded to the needs of local communities when significant pressure has been put on them to do so – and then only sometimes.

In 2002, a group of concerned community activists calling itself the Community Coalition for Media Accountability (CCMA) studied KMEL’s playlist and its relation to the social, economic, and political issues facing young people living in the urban areas the station reached. The report concluded that not only was KMEL not supporting local music, but that the music they were playing was detrimental to youth in the community. According to the CCMA, young people were “more likely to be depicted in the context of crime and violence than through issues such as health, education, family and community life, and KMEL is consistent with this trend.”

Yet KMEL isn’t the only urban station in a major market to come under fire by community groups. In 2005, New York’s Hot 97 aired the now-infamous “Tsunami” song, a “We Are the World” parody which was widely criticized as being racially insensitive. Despite firing a producer and donating $1 million to tsunami relief efforts, however, the station made few if any structural changes and soon returned to its old ways. According to a press release by Rosa Clemente of R.E.A.C.(Representing Education, Activism and Community) coalition, one year after the incident, Hot 97 continued to air “racially offensive remarks against Asians, African-Americans and Caribbean members of our community, which happen to make up the majority of their listenership.”

Joined by members of the New York City Council, R.E.A.C. demanded “corporate accountability and responsibility” from Hot 97 and its parent company, Emmis Communications. Yet no real commitment to community-responsible programming resulted. Instead, in recent years, a disturbing number of highly-publicized violent incidents have been linked directly to Hot 97, including several shootouts between rival rap crews.

Likewise, follow-up meetings with the CCMA and Clear Channel executives also resulted in no clear commitment by KMEL to address community concerns, although it did ultimately result in a smattering of more airplay for local artists — for a brief time. Playing more hometown acts was a way for KMEL to “legitimize themselves in a community that was restless over the lack of local music,” says Davey-D.

What the “Radio Heads” Think About Localism

According to KMEL Program Director Stacy Cunningham, the station has again backed off of spinning local music, because “we were becoming a joke around the country” – despite the fact that the station had its highest Arbitron ratings ever in 2005, when it was playing a significantly higher amount of local records than it is today.

In order to be considered for rotation, Cunningham adds, local music must justify its inclusion alongside national, major-label artists. “I know Mary J. Blige is a winner,” says Cunningham. “What’s gonna make me give up that slot?” In order for local records to compete in the current radio climate, she says, “your stuff has to be hotter.” What qualifies as “hot,” however, is not explicitly clear.

There is, however, another motivator to stick to “safe” playlists. In a corporate radio environment, Cunningham explains, “everything’s run on fear. Fear of losing money and fear of losing (your) job.” As a result, there’s “no real impetus to be innovative.”

Her comments are echoed by Sterling James, a 20-year veteran of commercial radio who’s currently the afternoon DJ at SF Urban AC station KBLX. “With all of the consolidation, the industry has become monopolized,” James says. “Has it resulted in a lack of innovation? Absolutely.”

James notes that a mainstream crossover artist like Beyonce might be in rotation on several differently formatted stations simultaneously, adding, “most PDs in SF are listening to what NY and LA are playing.” With very few exceptions, she says, “an unsigned artist can’t get on the air.” One persistent indie R&B singer was able to get spins, but only after performing at a party for one of the station’s executives, she says. The reality is that PDs and MDs “have to play the hits and be competitive.” Which means DJs have little to no voice in what gets aired. “I can’t choose the hits, let alone what I play,” James adds.

Still, there are some PDs willing to break the mold, where the possibility exists. Mark Adams, PD for Jammin 95.5 in Portland, Oregon says, “I personally struggle with the desire to support/expose local music and artists with my need to run a successful, mass-appeal, commercial radio station. The two things are often at odds.”

What’s The Solution?

It’s probably unrealistic to think that, even with a change in leadership in Washington, consolidation could be reversed overnight. Commercial radio is unlikely to change unless major changes happen first at the policy level. And with major labels cutting their A&R departments and worrying about job security, it’s equally unlikely that every single deserving local artist in every region of the country will land a lucrative major-label deal anytime soon. This means they can expect a difficult time getting on commercial radio.

Yet some influential artists are advocating less reliance on commercial radio in the first place. Legendary rappers Chuck D and KRS-One have frequently criticized radio for exploiting hip-hop culture. Recently, an email from rap pioneer Too $hort was posted on Davey-D’s website, which read in part: “I just wanna inspire the local artists & fans to be realistic & keep hip-hop in our area alive without help from the radio stations … I believe in street-level movements creating the atmosphere for national movements & radio is only one outlet to create those movements. If U know that’s not an option then U won’t waste time, energy or money trying to please radio.”

Instead, many artists are turning to user-generated content and social networking sites like YouTube and MySpace to find their fans and post their music or videos, while listeners starved for content and substance can log on to Breakdown FM or stream Hard Knock Radio online. Another buzzworthy outlet is Current TV, which is making an increased commitment to covering urban music and trends in their mini-documentary “pods.”

Still another option is low-power FM radio, which doesn’t offer the cachet (or advertising dollars) of commercial radio, but is affordable, accessible, and locally available. Recently, there have been encouraging signs that the FCC and Congress will remove caps preventing LPFM stations in urban markets, a condition originally imposed by powerful commercial broadcasters.

Finally, for those completely fed up with the state of urban radio, here’s what you can do:

Help remind Big Media that it broadcasts on public airwaves. Community members have the legal right to examine radio stations’ public files upon request. And commercial radio licenses must be renewed every eight years. The FCC does accept comments from the public during the renewal process; any station which is found to be operating outside the public interest can be fined or have its license revoked.

Get Involved. Becoming a part of an organized effort seeking more community accountability in commercial radio is an effective way to put pressure on stations. At the very least, undertakings like the CCMA’s campaign or R.E.A.C.’s crusade have let urban radio’s corporate bosses know that somebody’s watching them, and at best, have hit these companies where it counts – in the pocketbook.

Become an active listener. Without community feedback, MDs and PDs can only rely on research and consultants. If a station gets enough requests for a song by a local artist, it could result in increased mixshow spins or even being added to rotation.

Use the Internet. Usually, Web addresses for key station personnel can be found on that station’s homepage. It only takes 5 minutes to send an email to every urban station in your region!

Inform urban stations of events they should be covering. Most of the time, a commercial station’s idea of outreach is to send their promotional street teams to clubs and concerts. If you know of an event promoting positive community values, don’t hesitate to contact the station and let them know about it.

About the author: Eric K. Arnold has been writing about urban music culture since the mid-‘90s, when he was the Managing Editor of now-defunct 4080 Magazine. Since then, he’s been a columnist for such publications as The Source, XXL, Murder Dog, Africana.com, and the East Bay Express; his work has also appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle, Vibe, Wax Poetics, SF Weekly, XLR8R, the Village Voice and Jamrock, as well as the academic anthologies Total Chaos and The Vinyl Ain’t Final. Eric began his journalistic career while DJing on college radio station KZSC, and remembers well the early days of hip-hop radio, before consolidation, and commercialization set in. Urban radio remains a subject near and dear to his heart; his recent SF Weekly cover story, “The Death of Hyphy,” touched off an impassioned debate about the role of commercial stations in local communities which continued in the streets and online for months after the article’s publication. He currently lives in Oakland, California.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 03:17 PM

16. "That was a pretty sobering read."
In response to Reply # 15

Sounds like a pretty miserable job to work in radio if you actually care about the music. As much as I can't stand the dude, Ebro kind of spelled this out after he trolled folks with the Minor Leagues phrase usage on his Combat Jack episode.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 10:15 PM

35. "Wow"

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 10:51 AM

63. "I definitely have mixed feelings on all of this"

I surely hate how it is now, but I think I'm the type that prefers a bit of both sides in play.

I always loved going to other cities and hearing their local songs, as others have mentioned. Yet...for people who don't get to go to other cities, their taste STILL reflects the local bias that their stations and clubs had.

So in 2015, I am STILL finding amazing songs from the South and even NY that are 15-20 years old, mainly because our stations never got it, and it never made BET...AND because it came before the internet.

Back in 2009, I remember OKP being on my head x100 when I told them I hadn't heard The Purple Tape. Being in a city like L.A., there was a greater chance of me hearing it, but age came into play as well.

My issue with seeing zero West Coast songs on the Hot 97 list is because I see that as being "our" year, and 20 years later, there's more songs from CA that the average person knows than what came from NY. But I have no problem with it being more songs from NY on a NY list, that's not the case. L.A. radio played local flavor, just as Miami or ATL radio did...but we still played a good amount of everything.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 10:59 AM

64. "did you get an influx of east coast stuff on radio in late 90s???"
In response to Reply # 63

....i ask because it seems west coast artists actually SOLD records unlike a lot of east coast stuff ...diamond D stated that "Stunts.." didnt even go gold ..same can be said for a lot of stuff we loved out here ..i think so many great mixshows and mixtapes may have played a part in stifling sales here, but i'd hate to admit that

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 02:22 PM

66. "Hmmm......well the late night shows always played East Coast"
In response to Reply # 64

How can I describe it...

So I feel that the late 90's is when the West Coast underground peaked, so we heard a LOT of those Defari, Cali Agents, J5, Dilated type records on the late night mix shows. But for commercial music, we surely did get more East Coast on the stations after 96-97. It happened right as folks saw the West Coast as dying...yet, we still had plenty West Coast songs that were in rotation at the same time. The Quik songs from Rhythmalism, Suga Free, E-40 "Hope I don't go back," Mack 10/WC songs like "Backyard boogie" "Cheddar" "Jus clownin" and all the Cube songs....yeah, it was still a whole lot of West Coast played as well.

The South didn't get a whole lot of play on our radio until later on. But yeah, in the mid 90's, the East Coast music got more play on the late night mix shows, so it kind of reversed.

That's wild to hear that those East Coast artists didn't sell, but I can see how West Coast artists did sell. The Bay was even better than L.A. at supporting their local artists.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 02:43 AM

69. "RE: did you get an influx of east coast stuff on radio in late 90s???"
In response to Reply # 64
Wed Apr-22-15 02:45 AM by Jakob Hellberg

>diamond D stated
>that "Stunts.." didnt even go gold ..same can be said for a
>lot of stuff we loved out here ..i think so many great
>mixshows and mixtapes may have played a part in stifling sales
>here, but i'd hate to admit that

I obviously wouldn't know due to being swedish and all but I remember hearing that albums like Brand Nubian's "One for all" and even an act like Lord Finesse in the very early 90's were massive in New York but that the records didn't sell due to a combination of bootlegging and lack of general crossover appeal. Meanwhile, the more "gangsta" west coast acts sold a lot because after the NWA and Ice T thing, this music actuially crossed over, not in the pop-sense (well, G-funk did) but beyond locally, like it was the most popular form of Hip-Hop in general. I even saw it here in sweden where Ice T and Ice Cube and even dudes like Spice-1 were very popular amongst general rap-fans whereas most east coast stuff in that post-PE, pre-Wu tang era primarily appealed to music dorks (=people like me).

How much impact do you think the combination of mixtapes, bootlegs and lack of crossover appeal hurt sales for NYC Hip-Hop? Did people in NYC in general not buy records because one would think many of those albums would have sold better. Even Gang Starr didn't go gold until years later...

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Wed Apr-22-15 10:20 AM

70. "RE: did you get an influx of east coast stuff on radio in late 90s???"
In response to Reply # 69

>How much impact do you think the combination of mixtapes,
>bootlegs and lack of crossover appeal hurt sales for NYC
>Hip-Hop? Did people in NYC in general not buy records because
>one would think many of those albums would have sold better.
>Even Gang Starr didn't go gold until years later...

I know a lot of people back then who would rely on the street mixtapes like Ron G, Doo Wop, Clue, Kid Capri..and they'd also have the flagship hip hop albums from De La, Tribe, EPMD etc..but it was more rare to come across someone with a Showbiz&AG or Lord Finesse album..in 11th grade i put so many people on to Runaway Slave, hard to believe such a classic could be so slept on..and this is where i grew up in lower westchester which is just a few stops from the Bronx..

I think bootleging hurt some, but also, the sheer amount of groups and artists out there in NYC at the time.. just not enough time to listen to everyone, and people couldn't afford to buy every album..

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 12:45 PM

28. "Here's what it would have looked like for L.A....off the top of my head"
In response to Reply # 7

If this list was for like the Summer of 95...here's some songs that would have been on our list for sure

1. Mack 10 - Foe Life
2. WC ft. Mack 10 and Ice Cube - West up
3. Skee-Lo - I Wish
4. Kausion - What you wanna do
5. DJ Quik - Safe and sound
6. Ice Cube - Friday
7. LAD - Ridin low
8. Dr. Dre - Keep their heads ringin
9. Ahmad - Back in the day
10. Luniz - I got five on it (Bay of course, but got major play here)
11. Montell Jordan - This is how we do it
12. 2Pac - I got five on it
13. 2Pac - Dear mama
14. LBC Crew - Summertime in the LBC
15. Dove Shack - Round and Round
16. Alkaholiks - Daaamn!
17. Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise (may have been more Fall)
18. LV ft. Kam - Throw your hands up
19. Tha Liks - Daaaamn!
20. The Click - Hurricane (Bay as well)

And then, the Bay woulda had....
E-40 - Sprinkle me
E-40 - One luv
Luniz - Playa hata
Too Short - Cocktales
Cellski - Livin in the bay
C-Bo - Birds in the kitchen
Young Lay ft. Mac Mall - All about my fetti
Little Bruce - Mobbin in my old school

Also...the thing about 95 is that Death Row was basically preparing for Dogg Food, eventually getting Pac, and then Snoop and Dre's 2nd albums...so they weren't in as heavy rotation until late in the year and early 96.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 09:15 AM

41. "RE: Here's what it would have looked like for L.A....off the top of my h..."
In response to Reply # 28
Mon Apr-20-15 09:16 AM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

>If this list was for like the Summer of 95...here's some
>songs that would have been on our list for sure

>8. Dr. Dre - Keep their heads ringin
>9. Ahmad - Back in the day
>10. Luniz - I got five on it (Bay of course, but got major
>play here)
>11. Montell Jordan - This is how we do it
>13. 2Pac - Dear mama
>16. Alkaholiks - Daaamn!
>17. Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise (may have been more Fall)

^^^ these all got heavy hot 97 radio play in NYC in 95...

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 10:33 AM

45. "Not enough to crack the Top 25 though! And what month was this?"
In response to Reply # 41
Mon Apr-20-15 10:41 AM by -DJ R-Tistic-

I know a lotta West Coast music drops May-June, but still.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 11:54 AM

48. "these daytime airplay rotation flyers came out weekly.... "
In response to Reply # 45

....I remember dear momma being a #1 song at some point ...motel jordan joint was HUGE due to the slick rick beat jack ..prior, Dancehall Reggae star, Capelton already had a nyc club smash using the childrens story/mona lisa beats (it was Lil Jon's first music credit on that remix)

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:41 PM

50. "Whoaaaa Lil Jon worked on that track?"
In response to Reply # 48

And can you find any more of these lists from like 90-92?

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 01:43 PM

54. "I was expecting to not know most of this list..."
In response to Reply # 28

But most of these songs were as big as any in the original post (I was in college in 95). The original list being NY-centric shouldn't take away that a ton of west coast artists were blowing up at thime too.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:53 AM

8. "this was a few months after they infused the station with R&B..."
In response to Reply # 0

....for a while it was strictly HIP HOP ...people were PISSED when this happened, but obviously it worked out for the station

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:58 AM

9. "RE: 20 Years ago this was the most popular music on HOT 97....."
In response to Reply # 0

Fuckin Lisa Evers. Jesus Christ. Curtis fuckin Sliwa. What a dumb life we've all lived.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 12:23 PM

14. "YO!!! thats most cringe worthy thing on the flyer..."
In response to Reply # 9

>Fuckin Lisa Evers. Jesus Christ. Curtis fuckin Sliwa. What
>a dumb life we've all lived.

she was married to that ass clown!!!

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 03:33 PM

17. "I have to strongly disagree, sir."
In response to Reply # 14

The worse thing by far on that flyer is Wendy Williams. Horrible, horrible memories of listening to her rotting trash bin of gossipy lowest common denominator cackling voice filled my head when my eyes ran on her name the first time that pdf popped up on my screen. It's comical how high brow she tries to portray herself now that she has her TV show.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:03 PM

18. "u know, thats a solid call too... she was/is HORRID"
In response to Reply # 17

...and for some reason I was reading your post as Joe Rogan and lol'ed

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 09:10 AM

32. "RE: YO!!! thats most cringe worthy thing on the flyer..."
In response to Reply # 14

>>Fuckin Lisa Evers. Jesus Christ. Curtis fuckin Sliwa.
>What
>>a dumb life we've all lived.
>
>she was married to that ass clown!!!
>
>
>
>

I used to see those sloppy bastards all the time, fam. Life is really, really absurd.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 11:59 AM

10. "#29-33...bangers!"
In response to Reply # 0

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:10 PM

19. "Ya'll were fucking lucky. jeez."
In response to Reply # 0

that is all

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

csuave03
Member since May 20th 2007
3067 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 06:28 PM

20. "I never heard that AZ 'Sugar Hill' record ANYWHERE"
In response to Reply # 0

until hearing the album, then again I'm from the South

It's crazy how regional the music was back then, I actually never heard a couple of the songs on the radio

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 06:35 PM

22. "I think Sugar Hill's play on Hot later led to that SH vs Country Grammar"
In response to Reply # 20

Lesson Post that was an extension of a debate between Fire and some other poster.

I would occasionally listen to Hot 97 during summers in Jersey where it would come in during that era but that record was not ever getting played anywhere else I was (Philly, BMore, Boston) during '95.

But I guess to New Yorkers it was a hit on at least some level.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 12:29 PM

25. "miss jones was a hot97 host so they gave it extra push.."
In response to Reply # 22

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 09:02 PM

40. "They played it on the radio a lot in Dallas."
In response to Reply # 22

So, it got burn down south.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 12:34 PM

27. "Nahhh that was in heavy rotation on Rap City!"

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 09:55 PM

29. "They played it on the radio in Mississippi like crazy."

Was a certified hit in my town.

I also play it in Texas and everybody knows it.

So don't blame the south lol.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 06:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "sugar hill and the remix got played a lot in ohio"

93.1 saturday night fred the jammer and lenny b

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 06:05 AM

31. "They played it on Yo! MTV raps quite a bit..."

I even remember the video and that I found the girl somewhat cute. Otherwise, I never liked neither the song nor the album it was culled from; it got very good reviews here in sweden, probably more so than in the US BTW...

csuave03
3067 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 10:48 PM

36. "Never watched that show till much later, never heard it on the radio"
In response to Reply # 31
Sat Apr-18-15 10:48 PM by csuave03

the song is dope, just sayin

I also not trying to blame the South for anything, we had a lot of quality music playing on our stations that wouldn't have been in other regions

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 07:51 PM

37. "V103 in Atlanta used to play it ALL the time."

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 09:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
42. "it was played on Chicago radio."

it SOUNDS like a regional hit.

fuck you.

csuave03
3067 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 06:33 PM

21. "#24 is still that fye fye"
In response to Reply # 0

O lawd hab mercy mercy mercy

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 01:23 AM

23. "Do any of those songs talk abt "eating ass like groceries?""
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 01:58 AM

24. "If ODB was still alive he'd prolly remix that song."
In response to Reply # 23

I think Dirty would find that line funny.

Anyways, a lot of bangers on that list....even through I was 10 lol

The only songs I don't remember are the King Just & Lil Shawn joints.

I miss having different DJ's playing totally different stuff on shows.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 12:33 PM

26. "Got damn, y'all really were biased as hell!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 10:49 AM

47. "Why is it wrong for a NYC-based rap/R&B station"
In response to Reply # 26

to have a top 25 list dominated by artists from the area? That's the main reason why I wondered what similar lists would look like for other regions. Curious what the flavors on the month were for other places at the same time.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:43 PM

51. "1995 was the 2nd best year for West Coast Rap, and EVERY other "
In response to Reply # 47

Region, almost state, had at leaaaast 1-2 songs from us in their rotation. Like, not a single, single one?

And look above to see all the songs I listed. For L.A. back then, or ATL last decade, or either of us even today...it may be dominated by our own music, but we still have the hits that are certified from other regions.

If the list was 97-98, I wouldn't be surprised or care as much. But we had classics that you still hear nationwide today, and to see not a single one listed is just...wow.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 01:58 PM

55. "I wonder if labels being smaller and not into"
In response to Reply # 51

the big dollars yet has something to do with radio being fairly regional in terms of what records got spun. I prefer radio being somewhat regional in that it gives the station it's own identity. Annoying to turn to Hot97 or whatever stations there are in NYC at the moment and only hear what's popular nationwide and not get exposed to local acts.

And this isn't coming from someone that thinks NYC rap is objectively better; Bizarre Ride is one of my favorite albums spread across any genre, much less rap.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 02:15 PM

57. "I mean, I get it but I think it's just that we weren't just local at tha..."
In response to Reply # 55

like I loved going to Memphis and hearing music on their radio that hadn't hit L.A. yet. But, I would still hear a few songs from home.

I do hate when radio stations nationwide all play the same shit because of Clear Channel. But this here is different, because of all the East vs West feuds, and how we were much more mad about this than about anybody dissing Pac.

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 02:13 PM

33. "Memories..."
In response to Reply # 0

NM

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Sat Apr-18-15 09:44 PM

34. "At the height of my "Fuck the Radio" phase"
In response to Reply # 0

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 08:13 PM

38. "Wait...now isn't the height of your "fuck radio" phase?"
In response to Reply # 34

Every year the shit gets worse

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 06:10 PM

60. "i'm still not down with MOST radio stuff today"
In response to Reply # 38

but I guess i'm just not as angry about it.

i mean, I bought ariana grande, taylor swift and nick Jonas albums this year!

Bdiddy04
Member since Oct 28th 2004
1591 posts
Sun Apr-19-15 08:56 PM

39. "No wonder Snoop and em knocked down the buidings"
In response to Reply # 0

Only West Coast artist is Adina Howard. This is when the West was poppin.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 10:34 AM

46. "Adina Howard = Detroit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 39
Mon Apr-20-15 10:38 AM by -DJ R-Tistic-

ONLY West Coast anything is Raphael Saadiq!!!

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 01:36 PM

53. "this is the first i've heard of her being from Detroit."
In response to Reply # 46

we QUICK to claim people. never heard that one before.

latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 02:07 PM

56. "wiki says Grand Rapids, Michigan,"
In response to Reply # 53

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 04:29 PM

58. "lol...that's like saying that Buffalo is a borough."
In response to Reply # 56

not even close.

latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 06:09 PM

59. "I ain't ever been there so I ain't know, I just remembered Michigan"
In response to Reply # 58

and knew she wasn't from L.A!

guru0509
Charter member
45356 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 04:01 AM

62. "lol"

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 01:53 PM

65. "RE: lol...that's like saying that Buffalo is a borough."

>not even close.

Right! I was like, Adina Howard is from the D? LOL!

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 09:38 AM

43. "in the #1 hit the rapper claims "
In response to Reply # 0

he doesn't have sex w/women w/smelly vagina.

in the #19 hit the singer praises oral and/or anal sex.

the singer in the #21 hit sings the praises of marijuana smoking, as do the rappers in the #33 hit.

the singer in the #26 hit praises adultery.

fuck you.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 10:24 AM

44. "#16 mentions a womans "stink box" & later references "farting""
In response to Reply # 43

...what a time to be alive!!

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 12:10 PM

49. "Just for LOLs here's a flyer from 1990 (Pre Hip Hop Hot 97)"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-20-15 12:17 PM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

http://i.imgur.com/wLlnjcV.jpg

This was when they played freestyle and a bunch of mic mac records all the time... Home of NO hip hop. BLS & KISS late friday & sat night was the only place to hear hip hop.. oh and 105.9 late sat nights too..shout out to Teddy Ted & Special K.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 01:06 PM

52. "Whoaaa at Mentirosa being #4!!!"
In response to Reply # 49

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 07:16 PM

68. "it was a much bigger song than #1 or #2 "
In response to Reply # 52

Lisa's only really huge cut stateside was "All Around The World", probably followed by either "This Is The Right Time" or the Barry White "Never Gonna Give You Up" cover where she was walking down the street naked two decades before Badu did it.....but neither of the latter two popped bigger than "Mentirosa" here.

I barely even remember the other song or act.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Mon Apr-20-15 06:49 PM

61. "that's an all Miami everything list"

freestyle and bass never went out of style down here

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Tue Apr-21-15 06:29 PM

67. "2Live all breaking ground n whatnot... lol."

Lobby The Lesson topic #2928102 Previous topic | Next topic