Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2927931

Subject: "Do record labels matter to music consumers anymore?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 08:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do record labels matter to music consumers anymore?"

I'm thinking about back when I was growing up. I was big on Southern rap.
Anything that came out on No Limit or Cash Money Records was bought on sight.
I didn't even have to know who the artist was. I just trusted the label would put out something I liked.
Same thing with Death Row or Bad Boy (This may have just been a rap phenomenon?)

But does this exist anymore? Are people loyal to certain record labels?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm sure Mello MG has those kinds of fans.
Apr 14th 2015
RhymeSayers too. And TDE is trying to create that too.
Apr 14th 2015
Yeah in terms of hip-hop, it's underground labels more.
Apr 14th 2015
I was never that loyal to any record label
Apr 14th 2015
^^^ yup this... i'm loyal to artists/crews not the labels
Apr 16th 2015
      very very true
Apr 16th 2015
A little
Apr 14th 2015
funny enough
Apr 15th 2015
Of course. They are still the bigger machine
Apr 15th 2015
i'm starting to care about Fake Four
Apr 15th 2015
music geeks and industry followers, etc...
Apr 15th 2015
Yes, absolutely.
Apr 15th 2015
This may not be communicated the best way, but...
Apr 15th 2015
i'm not sure about that 'Cant You See' example.
Apr 16th 2015
      Valid points...
Apr 16th 2015
RE: For independents, I check out acts on the same label as bands I like...
Apr 15th 2015
in dance music
Apr 16th 2015
I think Mad Decent is like that
Apr 16th 2015
I absolutely follow record labels...
Apr 17th 2015
Barely. If they did, Young Money would have put out more albums
Apr 17th 2015
Metal is still that way for some fans (mainly in the underground)
Apr 17th 2015
No Cause People Go By Who Collaborates With Who
Apr 17th 2015

bills
Member since Feb 17th 2007
1199 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 09:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm sure Mello MG has those kinds of fans."
In response to Reply # 0

maybe Strange Music.
Maybach MG tries to make itself a "reliable brand" like that.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22104 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RhymeSayers too. And TDE is trying to create that too."
In response to Reply # 1

Blue Note does that too for non hip hop and Bronswood is trying to build it.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Yeah in terms of hip-hop, it's underground labels more."
In response to Reply # 1

I don't even see people really pledging allegiance to boutique labels run by artists they love anymore. They may like a crew, like Odd Future, but not a label.

I think Mello Music Group, Rhymesayers, and Strange definitely have loyalists like that though.

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:38 PM

3. "I was never that loyal to any record label"
In response to Reply # 0

Every label has released some shit I don't like. Including any of my favorites. No Limit, the only artists I bought was Mac, Fiend, Soulja Slim, and Mia X. I did buy C-Murder's first album and Master P's Ghetto D. That's it though.

I think TDE is close. I fuck with all four of the main artists (Jay Rock, Kendrick, Q, and Ab-Soul). Not sold on SZA or the dude from Tennessee.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 08:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "^^^ yup this... i'm loyal to artists/crews not the labels"
In response to Reply # 3

.....every label from def jam, to loud, to rawkus had some wack shit to go along with great stuff

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 09:40 AM

16. "very very true "
In response to Reply # 13

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

handle
Charter member
18950 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 10:55 PM

4. "A little"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-14-15 10:56 PM by handle

I like DFA and Ed Banger stuff still.

But it's not like it used to be with Tommy Boy, Loud, Def Jam, Sugar-Hill, Prism, Death Row, Sleeping Bag, Wild Pitch, etc.

For rock in the 80's we had Sire and IRS too.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "funny enough "
In response to Reply # 0

After hearing the new Lapulux album yesterday, I said to myself "I really need to just listen/cop anything that Brain Feeder is attached to from this point forward."

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 03:00 AM

7. "Of course. They are still the bigger machine"
In response to Reply # 0

The difference is they arent MAKING new artists that are competing on that level. Those artists are doing it on their own and then the label becomes their bitch in meetings. But its very laughable for people to think labels dont matter. That is the case for majority of the industry but not the ones who are on top.

____

TWITTER : Heinz21st

IG : H_N_Z

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 10:24 AM

8. "i'm starting to care about Fake Four"
In response to Reply # 0

ceschi's label. everytime FF puts out a project, I'm gonna check it out.

last time I felt like that was with stones throw, circa 2004-2007.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 01:14 PM

9. "music geeks and industry followers, etc..."
In response to Reply # 0

i mean lets be real who don't know Inteerscope? or anything associated with Dr Dre?

i mean a cat like Dr Dre alone makes you aware of the label from ruthless, death row,aftermath and the whole interscope fan and all the spin offs with eminem,50 cent, etc...

i mean on the majors it was fashionable to follow up to a young money/cash money

so if a label emerges as so then yeah.

generations of the past mainly with Motown onward knew the logo and what it meant.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 01:49 PM

10. "Yes, absolutely."
In response to Reply # 0

People who are into techo, house, ambient, drone, folk or metal are very loyal to certain labels that maintain a high level of quality releases and/or a consistent aesthetic. I'm going to the showcase of a german techno label out of Weimar in May, damn near jumped for joy when I saw it was happening..

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 02:47 PM

11. "This may not be communicated the best way, but..."
In response to Reply # 0

was it the movement or the music?

The movement was fueled by tons of cross-promotion of artissts. So, you had a preview of what other No Limit artists offered before they even had an album. Chances were that, if you heard a banger on one album, that you'd check for that artist's product as soon as it dropped becuase the movement was that strong.

You heard some heat comin from Fiend on a Master P song/single. Copped the album only to be bumrushed by pictures of all the future albums. So, there would already be name recognition that helps you track release dates. And you cop Fiend when he drops an album.

Bad Boy's Total is the prime example of the movement trumping the music. The "Can't You See" single dropped when Big was hot as shit. When the video hit Video Soul, you see Puffy dancin all in the video. LOL... Big spits. And instantly everybody across the country is now checkin for Total. They couldn't sing worth a damn but the Bad Boy movement was thick.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 08:28 AM

14. "i'm not sure about that 'Cant You See' example."
In response to Reply # 11
Thu Apr-16-15 08:29 AM by SoWhat

b/c that song is hot as shit.

the beat knocks and Big's verse works. those are the reasons i was into the record not b/c it was a Bad Boy release. and most of the ppl around me back then who liked the record were into it b/c they seemed to think it was hot.

i do think a segment of the record buying public was caught up in identifying w/record labels and various groupings of entertainers (aka 'crews') as if they were gangs or some other kind of social club. but the overwhelming majority of us weren't on that.

fuck you.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 09:02 AM

15. "Valid points..."
In response to Reply # 14

And now that I've had time to think about it, the Bad Boy connection didn't really help Taral Hicks or Cherie Dennis. So, they are two exceptions to the Bad Boy movement not really being the impetus behind an artist becoming succesful.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Apr-15-15 03:01 PM

12. "RE: For independents, I check out acts on the same label as bands I like..."
In response to Reply # 0

Some labels, you just know that if you like one thing on the label, your chances of liking something else are fairly high.

Labels like Kranky, Drag City, Thrill Jockey, etc. I definitely am more willing to blind purchase something from these labels because I can predict pretty accurately if I'll like it or not by the cover art.

Nardwuar: "Why should people care?"
Archy: "You don't have to care. I don't care. If you like it, you like it."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2015/222933

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35253 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 03:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "in dance music"
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Apr-16-15 04:29 PM

18. "I think Mad Decent is like that"
In response to Reply # 0

Not to me, but they seem to have a strong following.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 07:09 AM

19. "I absolutely follow record labels..."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't blindly purchase everything my favourite labels put out but I definitely listen to what I can, plus it's a great way to find new acts:
Freestyle, Daptone, Record Kicks, Blue Note and Motema are all awesome independent labels with amazing catalogues.

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 01:21 PM

20. "Barely. If they did, Young Money would have put out more albums"
In response to Reply # 0

from the Jae Millz n those types buried deep on their roster.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 04:31 PM

21. "Metal is still that way for some fans (mainly in the underground)"
In response to Reply # 0

One of the reasons I got into it as a business was the fact that hardcore metalheads are loyal to both labels and physical formats. It's a small niche, but the people that care about it REALLY care about it and devote a significant chunk of their energy and income to it. It's strictly a labor of love for me anyway because there's not a big enough fan base there to make anyone rich, but at least I feel the love is returned from my customers.

--

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Apr-17-15 04:43 PM

22. "No Cause People Go By Who Collaborates With Who"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-17-15 04:56 PM by Dj Joey Joe

Today's standards of an artist being signed on a label and another label mate guest appearing on that artist's album is kind of over these days since it's basically only three major labels and every other label is basically "my boyz n' dem got a label" got a dozen mixtape albums on datpiff, bandcamp, & itunes featuring who's every hot.

Only a few still seek out artists by labels, and even then it's hard cause not everyone is on the same label these days, they jump ship to whoever willing to have them.

The days of Rawkus, DefJam, No-Limit is over, it's barely r&b collectives these days, Shanichie Records use to have some dope smooth jazz & r&b vocalist on their label but back in the 90's they use to be a popular reggae label, rock artists are now moving towards indie labels as well, but like I said before it's about collectives not artists getting signed without knowing or having a relationship beforehand.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Lobby The Lesson topic #2927931 Previous topic | Next topic