Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2927670

Subject: "Scarface is releasing a memoir on 4/21 (Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 04:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Scarface is releasing a memoir on 4/21 (Swipe)"

This flew under my reading radar. I wonder how many other rappers will follow suit? I can't recall many hip-hop memoirs....

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6531681/scarface-diary-of-a-madman-excerpt

Exclusive Book Excerpt: Rap Legend Scarface Reveals Why He Wanted to Die in His New Memoir.
By Billboard Staff and Benjamin Meadows Ingram | April 13, 2015 4:54 PM EDT

Brad “Scarface” Jordan put Southern hip-hop on the radar as a member of the Geto Boys, a pioneering solo rapper and a Def Jam executive, selling millions of albums. But in his brutally honest memoir Diary of a Madman (out April 21 on Dey Street), written with Benjamin Meadows Ingram, the 44-year-old digs into his dark side -- shootouts, drugs, mental wards and repeated attempts on his own life. Read on for an exclusive excerpt from the rap star's memoir.

Courtesy of Dey Street and HarperCollins:

Looking back, I think I just wanted the attention. I see that now. But back then, I felt like attention was the last thing I wanted. I wouldn’t have been able to tell you if it was any one specific thing that had pushed me to that point. I just know that I was mad. Mad and sad. I felt like no one wanted me. My daddy was dead, and my mama didn’t want me. I didn’t really get along with my stepdad, and my grandma already had nine kids of her own, so there wasn’t really a place for me at her house either. I felt like I couldn’t do shit right, and the only way I could get any attention was by f---ing up. No one would come watch me play football or check out my baseball games or any shit like that, but as soon as I popped some kid in the face or busted somebody’s head open in class, everyone was there, telling me I was f---ed up for what I’d done, trying to take away my privileges and shit like that. That was the attention I was getting: for being a f---up.

Q&A: Scarface

I was always being punished or outcast from the rest of the family because of some shit I had done, so every conversation at home was like, “Oh, you know they caught him with some weed, huh?” Or, “You know he was back there selling dope?” Or, “You know he got an F on his report card? “Or, “You know he hit that boy in the head with that baseball bat?” There was just always some kind of f---ed-up shit going on with me, and by the time I was 13 I was over it. I felt like everyone -- my teachers, my classmates, the other parents in the neighborhood, my own family -- was mad at me and on some f--- you shit. So to me it was like, “F--- you, too, then.” You don’t have to tell me twice.

I would spend a lot of time alone. I’d go in my room at my mom’s house and not come out for weeks, just trying to find me. And I didn’t always like what I found. I was raised with the idea that I was born dying. That with every breath you take, you get closer to your last. It’s something I’ve always known. So my mentality, even back then, was always, “What’s the worst that could happen? That I could die or be killed? But I’m born dying, so death is inevitable. Why should I be scared of that?” Being alone just gave me something to really think about. And with shit going so wrong for me then, and with me constantly feeling like everything was f---ed and I couldn’t do anything right, the conclusion I came to was that I might as well just get it over with. F--- it.

I don’t remember too much about that particular day, but I know I was ready for it to be done. I was ready to get up out this bitch. So I went in my mother’s medicine cabinet and took all of her blood-pressure medication. I woke up on the bathroom floor with the ambulance parked outside and the paramedics trying to get me up and out the door. They took me to the hospital and gave me this stuff, ipecac, to clean out my stomach. I spent the whole next day puking my guts out. It was disgusting. I thought that shit was going to kill me! I was like, “Damn, you brought me all the way here to do me in like this?” You could have just left me on the floor and saved everyone a hell of a lot of trouble.

But of course the ipecac didn’t kill me. It probably saved my life. Once they knew my stomach was clear of all of the pills and I wasn’t going to die, they let me go. But then, the next day, my mama brought me back. I thought we were going for a follow-up, or a checkup or some shit, but then she just left me there, dropped me off on the mental-health floor of Houston International Hospital, and that became my life.

Scarface (far left) and the Geto Boys -- Willie D, Bushwick Bill and DJ Reddy -- in the 1980s. Courtesy of Dey Street and HarperCollins
See, it wasn’t like that was the first time I’d tried to kill myself. I’d been trying to take my own life for years. You name it, I’d tried it. Slitting my wrists with a box cutter and bleeding out all over the bathroom floor, putting loaded guns to my head, all of that shit. If you’d asked me then, I’d have told you straight up: I was ready to go. But I never did it. I never cut myself deep enough or far enough away from my family to be left alone to die. I never pulled the trigger. I never went all the way. That’s why I say that I think I really just wanted the attention. If you really want to go, dying is the easy part. It’s the living that’s hard. That shit takes a lifetime. And it will test you every step of the way.

From the book Diary of a Madman: The Geto Boys, Life, Death, and the Roots of Southern Rap by Brad “Scarface” Jordan with Benjamin Meadows Ingram. Copyright 2015 by Let’s Talk LLC. Reprinted by permission of Dey Street Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.

This story originally appeared in the April 18th issue of Billboard.

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Scarface is releasing a memoir on 4/21 (Swipe)
Apr 13th 2015
RE: Scarface is releasing a memoir on 4/21 (Swipe)
Apr 13th 2015
you know i'm getting it
Apr 13th 2015
I'm not even a fan and I'll probably read it
Apr 14th 2015
Stupid question of the day: what's the difference...
Apr 14th 2015
the autobio seems a fancy way of telling some truths
Apr 14th 2015
All I know is Prodigy reading his 'My Infamous Life' is worth a listen:
Apr 14th 2015

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 04:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Scarface is releasing a memoir on 4/21 (Swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

My man BMI finally releasing his book....good shit....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 04:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Scarface is releasing a memoir on 4/21 (Swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

This will be bought

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 10:52 PM

3. "you know i'm getting it"
In response to Reply # 0

having grew up early in H town you always knew his impact and what he meant down there.

yeah i read his interviews and the many stops, turns and bumps his career and life has taken and its all real and even more intense.

he ain't never been one to hold back his feelings.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 12:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I'm not even a fan and I'll probably read it"
In response to Reply # 0

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 07:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Stupid question of the day: what's the difference..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-14-15 07:55 AM by Brew

between a "memoir" and an "autobiography"?

Because if they're basically the same thing, there's a lot of them in hip-hop. But I'm getting the impression they are different in some significant way.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 11:41 AM

6. "the autobio seems a fancy way of telling some truths"
In response to Reply # 5

and fantasy and mixing them up as a cocktail.

Memoir i expect rawness and unpolished and shooting from the hip

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Apr-14-15 12:57 PM

7. "All I know is Prodigy reading his 'My Infamous Life' is worth a listen:"
In response to Reply # 0

They've got each chapter or section up on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvUCs9j3reA

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

Lobby The Lesson topic #2927670 Previous topic | Next topic