Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2927297

Subject: "FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET...25 years old today" Previous topic | Next topic
j3ph
Charter member
1863 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 05:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET...25 years old today"

Where does the Lesson place it among all-timers?
Is it even the best PE record?
Is it the last great Bomb Squad production?
Did it stand the test of time?
Get better with time? Worse?

I'm a little floored with how, when I first heard it, I thought it was just the black perspective and that what Chuck alleged was largely exaggeration, but as I grew older and interacted with the world around me, how true many of Chuck's observations were then and are STILL NOW.

It becomes apparent that, over the last 25 years, we've really gone nowhere in regards to race relations in America. But that's a huge tangent.

Observations?

http://sonofbyford.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET...25 years old today
Apr 10th 2015
I was 12 and my neighbor grabbed the cd on release day
Apr 10th 2015
I know every lyric on this album
Apr 10th 2015
I also had to buy the tape multiple times. Shit keep breaking
Apr 10th 2015
starved for a week savin lunch $ to cop the tape the day it was dropping
Apr 10th 2015
Wow. Can't top that story.
Apr 10th 2015
      Damn, BBD dropped that day? Musta not copped til month or two later
Apr 10th 2015
           RE: Damn, BBD dropped that day? Musta not copped til month or two later
Apr 10th 2015
25 years ago? Man I'm old. That puts me in....10 grade?
Apr 10th 2015
RE: Best ever.
Apr 10th 2015
Salute!
Apr 10th 2015
I bought the cassette...
Apr 11th 2015
Apr 11th 2015
Went back and listened again today. Sequencing on side A is perfect
Apr 12th 2015
the end of there run
Apr 12th 2015
Apr 12th 2015
Apr 13th 2015

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET...25 years old today"
In response to Reply # 0

>Where does the Lesson place it among all-timers?

Yep.

>Is it even the best PE record?

Not their best album, but still a great album. To me, it's number #3 in their discography, but that just shows how great their early discography was.

>Is it the last great Bomb Squad production?

Nah, whatever flaws the YBT and Sons of Bazerk albums had, the production was still extremely dope. Even Apocalypse '91 was dope, even if Sadler was gone by then.

>Did it stand the test of time?

Yep. The lyrics to "Meet the G That Killed Me" are a little dated, but hip-hop barely acknowledged HIV/AIDS back then.

>Get better with time? Worse?

Stayed about the same. Nothing wrong with that. I will say I liked Pollywannacracka more now than I did then.

>Observations?

It's sort of ahead of time with all it's talk/observations on mixed race relationships. It's also one of the most optimistic albums they've ever done.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 09:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I was 12 and my neighbor grabbed the cd on release day"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-10-15 09:52 AM by OKdamn

This was back when cds came in big ass boxes ...you held the discs by their edges MAD carefully and would watch the timer as the song played (at least I did)..

To this day I believe it is one of the best produced & sequenced albums-period.

It's hard to compare it against ITANOMTHUB ..but I think FOABP gets the edge because of the mindblowing production + Chuck was better on the mic.

maro
Charter member

3. "I know every lyric on this album"
In response to Reply # 0

I even had the cassette single to 911 and the B side was revolutionary generation. LOVED that song!

By far my favorite PE album

werd.

mrhood75
44717 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 11:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I also had to buy the tape multiple times. Shit keep breaking"
In response to Reply # 0

First tape got ultra-wobbly and eventually eaten by my Walkman, which was annoying, because I was in Las Vegas at the time and had been waiting for this album to drop for months, only to get it and have it break on the second listen. Really frustrating.

Can't remember what happened with the second cassette, but I know I had to buy a third.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 01:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "starved for a week savin lunch $ to cop the tape the day it was dropping"
In response to Reply # 0

*Warning: Impending-Get-A-Damn-Blog,Bomb-Marathon, Get On Board Or Get Gone*

It felt like this album took forever to come out since it was damn near a year since 1989-a-number-another-summer and rap music was growing/moving/changing/flipping at a dog-years clip.

They had suspended Griff, briefly split, got back together seemingly as soon as the prior news hit but Chuck told the crowd at the Philly Spectrum while on the Eazy-Duz-It-Tour (which I at age 12 was blessed enough to be able to see from seats in the top balcony) that this was probably the last time we'd see PE on a stage, then they started pushing thru it but Def Jam kept pushing back the release date, Chuck got in trouble for the 'crucifiction' line in Terrordome (which was in my guestimation one of the first real released-to-radio-months-before-the-album-or-an-A-side 'street single' campaigns in rap up to that point.......or maybe it just felt that way because PE were everything from 88 thru 90.

Had to tape Terrordome off Power 99 and it was only played after 10 PM.

Grabbed the promo poster for the album at least a month before when the 'Fight The Power Live' VHS dropped.

Anticipating this album felt like slow torture, especially since the press had it before us and were analyzing it the way network news would grill/vet a presidential candidate (peep The Village Voice's original review if you can find it for how ridiculous it was.....actually ending by expressing objection to Flav's 'eatin welfare turkey out the can, I can't do nuttin for ya man' from Flav's solo cut previously on House Party soundtrack as if Flav's lyrics were things worthy of study or to be taken seriously).

Anyway, on the personal front after middle school that day me and my man went to go cop it.

But fate intervened in another delay, as we were for the first time in our turnstile-hopping-punkass-kid-lives spotted by a PATCO train conductor with camera confirmation of ditching the fare (shit, I had that Sam Goody tape price calculated down to the 6% sales tax, I wasn't risking being short to pay for a train).

Unwittingly we still waited down on the platform, hopped on the Westbound train headed to The Gallery on 8th & Market.

Train stopped one or two stops later, doors stayed open for a long time, walkie-talkies were heard and then next thing you know a Collingswood cop is telling us to get off the train to come talk to him, then follow him out to his car, then promptly cuffing and stuffing us (we were 13/14 at the time, first time in cuffs and he wandered away once we were in back, to do paperwork or holla at a meter-maid, when he came back to me squirming and expressing discomfort with the arrangement, he started laughing and said 'oh, I didn't tell you that? If you move, they tighten up automatically' as they were now cutting into my wrists/arms.

Cop takes us back to our neck of the woods to have a pow-wow with our parents, electing to take me to my house first but with my parents both working in mid-afternoon and the door locked, he ends up walking me up to the old lady next door's house with my hands still behind my back in bracelets, neighbors across the street looking/whispering and my boy still stuck in the back of the squad car.

Cop then uses that phone to call my father at work at RCA in Camden, he was in a staff meeting, secretary comes in to tell him he's got a phone call, he tells her take a message, she says 'it's a police officer, your son's been arrested' in front of all his co-workers and his boss.....at that point he slinks out to take the call, speaks to the cop, calls my grandmother to come sign off on the paperwork plus open our door so I could stop sitting in the neighbors kitchen.

My buddy (who they bring inside my folks house with me once Nana arrives) makes some kind of wise-crack in the midst of this now two-hour-long-parade-of-scared-straight-cop-talk-bullshit and my grandmother explodes, goes in on him and me with a riot act the intensity of which I only ever heard from her one other time in my life right up to now (as she still exists at the tender age of 96).

And despite all that acrimony, the anxiety of knowing when my mom & pops get home from their respective long days at work I'll likely be hearing it again, all I can think about was 'I'm not going to get the new PE album dropping today'.

That was a punishment far worse than abrasions from tight cuffs or watching my Nana morph into McGruff.

I got so much trouble on my mind but the wheels were already turning as new inspired thoughts came racing, crunching the unofficial numbers, with the realization that my savings was still in my pocket untouched while one more abandonment of 85 cent lunch meant that tomorrow afternoon even if I had to pay for a PATCO pass that I would have enough.

This latest PE-related hiccup would also (like Griff, Kress and assassination-by-press) soon be overcome.

The rest was unimportant and went by in a forgettable haze while soon would be better days *insert-Bomb-Squad-'haze'-Hendrix echo-chamber vocal sample ad-lib here*

At that age of pubescence, with KRS, Ra and especially Chuck teaching me a litany of eye-opening lessons......lectures by figures of authority all just formed one Charlie Brown teacher loop in my brain.

Subordinate terror, kickin off an error, cold deliverin pain.

To the old folks and the lames, there was just no way to explain.

On April 10th, 1990, the only thing I had to fear was not being able to hear 'Fear' itself.

A situation that would be rectified approximately 22 hours later.

So while today officially marks a quarter-century anniversary for the release of this classic LP, it's technically still only 24 & 364 for me.......regardless, just checking in decades later to once again salute P.E.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

mrhood75
44717 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 01:28 PM

6. "Wow. Can't top that story."
In response to Reply # 5

All I did was take the money I'd saved up, walk into a Las Vegas Rainbow Records, and buy the cassette. My younger brother ended up buying the BBD's "Poison" album that dropped on the same day. I felt bad after the fact for hogging "Fear" and than having it "break" soon after. He might have got one listen of it.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 01:48 PM

7. "Damn, BBD dropped that day? Musta not copped til month or two later"
In response to Reply # 6

>All I did was take the money I'd saved up, walk into a Las
>Vegas Rainbow Records, and buy the cassette. My younger
>brother ended up buying the BBD's "Poison" album that dropped
>on the same day. I felt bad after the fact for hogging "Fear"
>and than having it "break" soon after. He might have got one
>listen of it.

I did actually go see BBD, Keith Sweat, Johnny Gill and Monie Love as my next show after that.

For some reason I was most excited to see Monie and she came out very pregnant, with no stage setup, jacked up PA, yelled at the sound crew in a Cockney accent, did Monie In The Middle and Its A Shame then stormed off the stage to scattered boos in a still half-empty arena.

BBD was the headliner but Keith Sweat kinda stole the show to my surprise.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

mrhood75
44717 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 02:00 PM

8. "RE: Damn, BBD dropped that day? Musta not copped til month or two later"
In response to Reply # 7

From what I recall, yes. Wikipedia is saying a few weeks earlier, but they're not always the most accurate. I did find it funny at the time that both albums shared Bomb Squad production.

>I did actually go see BBD, Keith Sweat, Johnny Gill and Monie
>Love as my next show after that.

This was during the day I wasn't really fucking with '80s/'90s R&B (thought it was too soft). I vaguely remember hearing about the tour and being surprised Monie Love was on it.

>For some reason I was most excited to see Monie and she came
>out very pregnant, with no stage setup, jacked up PA, yelled
>at the sound crew in a Cockney accent, did Monie In The Middle
>and Its A Shame then stormed off the stage to scattered boos
>in a still half-empty arena.

Ah, gotta love shitty sound-system and unappreciated opening acts. At you got a "name" performer. Lawd at some of the opening I've seen at other hip-hop shows back in the days.

>BBD was the headliner but Keith Sweat kinda stole the show to
>my surprise.

I guess I can see that. Keith probably had the ladies going crazy.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 03:12 PM

9. "25 years ago? Man I'm old. That puts me in....10 grade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Millions is probably their best album, but Fear is definitely my favorite. Much like ATCQ and Outkast, PE managed to raise the bar higher on their 3rd album than they did on their 2nd.

I do remember getting the Welcome To The Terrordome single a while before the album dropped. Maybe it was the CMS, because it had at least 2 different dub versions if memory serves. I found it strange the video only showed concert footage and various clips, but no lyrics (and to this day I can't seem to find the video anywhere). All I know is that song was the definitive sound of chaos and mass confusion. The song felt like it had at least 30 samples and some of them you only heard once. I had never heard the Temptations and James Brown sound as dangerous as on that song. Even today the intro stands the hairs on my neck straight up.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 04:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "RE: Best ever."
In response to Reply # 0

Nardwuar: "Why should people care?"
Archy: "You don't have to care. I don't care. If you like it, you like it."

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2015/222933

ceeq9
Member since Jul 21st 2005
871 posts
Fri Apr-10-15 07:37 PM

11. "Salute!"
In response to Reply # 0

====================================
when cannibal confronts missionary, who is religious and who insane..the one eating people, the other converting them... (c) James Hillman

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Sat Apr-11-15 10:59 AM

12. "I bought the cassette..."
In response to Reply # 0

I still remember reading the lyrics and the shoutouts on the foldout paper inlay, I studied that paper.

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Apr-11-15 03:09 PM

13. "RE: FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET...25 years old today"
In response to Reply # 0

The album that had some of hip-hop's most genius production moments EVER...

Bomb Squad and Chuck were in a fucking zone....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Sun Apr-12-15 12:39 AM

14. "Went back and listened again today. Sequencing on side A is perfect"
In response to Reply # 0

Contract on the World Love Jam is like the fuse. The vocal snippets just get you set up for something big, something controversial. When the scratch comes in and the beat drops on Brother's Gonna Work It Out, you're ready to act, ready to mobilize, ready to riot, and Chuck gives you all the vocal reasoning to do so. Then as if to cool things down, keep the peace, you get a Flavor Flav track. He's funny, right? But while you're laughing, 911 Is A Joke is skewering the PFD, and rightfully so. So you're laughing, but the anger is still simmering. They turn the heat up a bit on Incident at 66.6FM. You can get your dance on if you want, but the clips from the news interview will do nothing but anger you. Then the monster comes on. You get the TS Monk sample, the HARD ass scratch and a SONIC WALL OF TOTAL CHAOS that id Welcome To The Terrordome. Samples come at you from every angle, as Chuck manages to piss off white people, black people, Jewish people and Asian people. But at this point you're ready to sign up to be a S1W because you're so riled up. At this point PE knows they can do and say whatever they want and you're gonna listen, so they go in on AIDS (Meet The G That Killed Me), inter relationships and self hate in the community (Pollywannacracka), racism in Hollywood (Anti-Nigga Machine and Burn Hollywood Burn) before they close out the first side with the 'we shall overcome' message of Power To The People. You're simultaneously wiped out and extremely focused for side 2. It's really amazing.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Apr-12-15 12:48 AM

15. "the end of there run"
In response to Reply # 0

because from 87-90 they could do no wrong
and seemed fresh.

i got this album about 3rd and it can almost wink at number 2 in there catelog.

put it like this had PE stopped after 91 they would be no less than 2 on the all time Greatest Rap Groups list period.

always dug the Production and the way things flowed and moved.

i had the tape back in the day.

i had Griff's tapes when he went to luke records for a minute.

PE's music back then was like Michael Jackson's albums in that the hype and anticipation was high high big time

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Chancellor
Member since Sep 08th 2011
46 posts
Sun Apr-12-15 11:04 PM

16. "RE: FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET...25 years old today"
In response to Reply # 0

"Every brother ain't a brother cause of color,just as well to be undercover". Amazing album. I was 10 when it dropped but had a pretty good grasp of the content. Great time in music. Completely in love with the production and the whole feel of the album.

-Scholar's Mind. Servant's Heart

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Mon Apr-13-15 01:18 PM

17. "RE: FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET...25 years old today"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-13-15 01:23 PM by cbk

>Where does the Lesson place it among all-timers?

up there!

>Is it even the best PE record?

still gotta give it to "it takes a nation"

>Is it the last great Bomb Squad production?

hmmm...according to the wax poetics article, they were never all in one room working collectively as they were with "it takes a nation," so although it's credited to "the bomb squad" it wasn't really THE bomb squad as it was on "it takes a nation."

but by default, I'd say it was the last great bomb squad production by all the players involved.

>Did it stand the test of time?

I think so.

>Get better with time? Worse?

always a great record, no matter the time.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Lobby The Lesson topic #2927297 Previous topic | Next topic