Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2925772

Subject: "Kutmah speaks at length about the LA clubs, that lead to Sketchbook" Previous topic | Next topic
astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 10:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kutmah speaks at length about the LA clubs, that lead to Sketchbook"

Which let to Low End Theory

http://www.factmag.com/2013/04/03/prince-came-to-my-club-the-birth-of-l-a-beat-scene-as-told-by-kutmah/

A piece of LA's beat scene from a dj/artist in the thick of it

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Kutmah speaks at length about the LA clubs, that lead to Sketchbook
Mar 31st 2015
yeah man, I went one time because the online / myspace presence
Mar 31st 2015
Crazy that L.A. has so many damn scenes. The thing I hate is
Mar 31st 2015
This is very true
Mar 31st 2015
really nice read... kutmah is a don and honest person
Mar 31st 2015
maybe us LA heads need to meetup on some of these nights n/m
Apr 07th 2015

antoniovaladez
Charter member
4545 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Kutmah speaks at length about the LA clubs, that lead to Sketchbook"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember going to Sketchbook and only seeing 7-10 people. Kutmah really put his heart into it and I would hear about some great nights but it seems like people jumped on the gravy train way too late.

Weekends on 89.9 FM // KCRW

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 02:04 PM

2. "yeah man, I went one time because the online / myspace presence"
In response to Reply # 1

Seemed official and there were like 4 people there. I bounced and drank at a dive bar instead

But JuJu and Sound Lessens which he talks about in the piece were dope.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 07:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Crazy that L.A. has so many damn scenes. The thing I hate is"
In response to Reply # 0

that a lot of people...club goers, promoters, and DJ's, act like a scene or a club/spot means nothing if they haven't heard of it. Then they finally go, and it's like.............this exists? Whether they like it or not.

Like for me, on surface, it sounds like I'm limited to say I am only involved in the Rap/R&B/"Black music" scene. Yet, there's so little overlapping out here. It's people who've never heard of Kiss n Grind...or Grits & Biscuits...or The Do Over. The only spots in the Rap/R&B lane that most folks know are the overly Hollywood ones, and even then...some people who only go to the Kiss n Grind or The Room type spots may not even know about those. Such as Toxic, Greystone, Supper Club when it was priming, etc etc.

I'm still learning about new scenes here every single year. It's crazy how some are kept secret...which is actually good in some ways, because the focus gets diluted otherwise. Whenever things become mainstream/commercial, the entire vibe and playlist changes.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:05 PM

4. "This is very true"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm not a "scenster", so I really only hit a spot 1-3 times and KIM; like the Do Over, I went when it first started to crack in 06. loved the alt-Black / mixed / artsy crowd with Dilla, Dwele etc blasting out the speakers, but these summers HELLNAH, way too packed.

I'm glad you posted about Kiss & Grind and Grits & Biscuits cause it's another thing for me to check out one day.

Shit I stumbled into The Room a few months ago with the ex and my cousin and had a good time cause it was low key and they were playing all kinds of 90s rap and R&B

That's what's dope about the Kutmah piece to me. he kinda shows how one bleed or led to another, his rep of Lemeirt was bit over the top, but I understand

agentzero
Member since Apr 12th 2007
1907 posts
Tue Mar-31-15 11:24 PM

5. "really nice read... kutmah is a don and honest person"
In response to Reply # 0

fills me in on some of the details i havent heard about the sketchbook events

thanks for sharing

To people like US, a record is a piece of history. A moment in time.
Most people don't get it.

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Tue Apr-07-15 09:59 PM

6. "maybe us LA heads need to meetup on some of these nights n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

Lobby The Lesson topic #2925772 Previous topic | Next topic