Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2925580

Subject: "Screw Run The Jewels..El P should do an album with Jeezy next" Previous topic | Next topic
Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 08:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Screw Run The Jewels..El P should do an album with Jeezy next"

remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKWjRw41Ods

an album with those 2 would be incredible...and would inject new life into jeezy's stagnant career

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
nope, t.i.
Mar 29th 2015
RE: nope, t.i.
Mar 29th 2015
him & T.I. would be CRAZY
Mar 29th 2015
      yup
Mar 29th 2015
as long as he doesnt rap....nm
Mar 29th 2015
RE: Screw Run The Jewels..El P should do an album with Jeezy next
Mar 29th 2015
couldn't disagree more
Mar 29th 2015
      No, you're wrong
Mar 29th 2015
           I didn't say he wasn't versatile
Mar 29th 2015
Great track.
Mar 29th 2015
Jeezy gets less relevant by the day, T.I. becomes less a rap star, more
Mar 29th 2015
You're not wrong but
Mar 30th 2015
      its not intended to, named regional reps in each category to avoid that
Mar 30th 2015
El P and Keak Da Sneak album would be classic
Mar 29th 2015
lmao..does keak still rap?
Mar 30th 2015
Yeah I remeber that track. It's heat.
Mar 30th 2015

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 12:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "nope, t.i."
In response to Reply # 0

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 01:33 PM

5. "RE: nope, t.i."
In response to Reply # 1

>

T.I. absolutely sux.

im_freshhh
Member since Oct 26th 2007
1675 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 03:27 PM

7. "him & T.I. would be CRAZY"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun Mar-29-15 03:28 PM by im_freshhh

im not even the biggest fan of T.I. but he fit El's production so well on that "Big Beast" track

_________________________________________________________________________________

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast foods.
IG/Twitter: @sammiie_b

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 06:23 PM

11. "yup"
In response to Reply # 7

guru0509
Charter member
45358 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 12:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "as long as he doesnt rap....nm"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

spidey
Charter member
13126 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 12:49 PM

3. "RE: Screw Run The Jewels..El P should do an album with Jeezy next"
In response to Reply # 0

Boo to all that….EL needs to get Pharaohe Monch on the line...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Anonymous
Charter member
23229 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 03:40 PM

8. "couldn't disagree more"
In response to Reply # 3

Monch is at his best over soulful production.

Dark El-P beats would only make him rap on some weird shit like butt fucking MCs

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4882 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 05:37 PM

10. "No, you're wrong"
In response to Reply # 8

>Monch is at his best over soulful production.
>
>Dark El-P beats would only make him rap on some weird shit
>like butt fucking MCs

Monch is more versatile than you give him credit.

His early career is built on dark sh!t.

He and El-P would be incredible.

Anonymous
Charter member
23229 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 07:33 PM

12. "I didn't say he wasn't versatile "
In response to Reply # 10

I said he is at his best over soulful production.

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 01:13 PM

4. "Great track."
In response to Reply # 0

That whole compilation was dope and was def ahead of the curve as far as setting up the Southern Rapper/Industrial Production pairing of Run the Jewels...matter of fact weren't El-P and Killer Mike originally paired by Adult Swim?

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 02:25 PM

6. "Jeezy gets less relevant by the day, T.I. becomes less a rap star, more "
In response to Reply # 0

a TV personality every week, Rick Ross if it hasn't already happened will with one more facsimile album of diminishing returns (inevitable since he's only got one lane) is poised to fall off musically like 50 or DMX once the public grows weary of buying the same thing for 4-5 years.

And none of those MC's really have much material aimed at radio, while the albums are being pushed as a connected body of work rather than the 'song for the street'/'song for the bitches'/'song for the club'/*insert-three-hottest-producers-here/etc way of building rap albums by the late 90's.

And none of the young dudes are really trying to go on press junkets, visit stations regionally, be on talk shows, take ads out or do much of the previous standard of promotion.

They've already identified their audience, built a relationship with them via touring/free-mixtapes/social-media and having established a track record of quality output even if it doesn't sound much like the earlier record they liked.

Contrast that with Luda who this week and the upcoming one we'll be seeing on TV more than Kevin Hart as he tries to push this comeback to rap.

The tide has turned, it'd already been underway dating back to the beginning of the decade as the actual money in the industry has dried up.

You'll still get your hot club singles that get a rack of downloads but that will basically be what ringtone rap was in the middle of last decade.

But most of the cats in the game now, like in the late 80's, are gonna be people that will on average genuinely love what they're doing (to a point they'd be doing it as a hobby for free which lots already do) and understand that the only way to sustain success is to bring something unique to stand out amidst the clog of content available, while building a fanbase from the roota to the toota on the road with touring, online, etc.

The first three months of 2015 has given us prolly 4 or 5 rap albums stronger than anything that came out in all of 2005 (with I guess the notable exception of Graduation but that will get cancelled out by another Kanye album this year).

Killer Mike didn't have anywhere near the commercial impact or peak that Jeezy did but he got here before him and he will outlast him on the back end.

There will of course be a demo who rocked with it as teens or in college but Jeezy, like Ross even more, will be eventually seen as time-period acts (like Nelly or Ja-Rule) or guys whose regional buzz for a stretch went big national (Trick Daddy, every Houston rapper who popped in 04/05) by the year 2020, rather than the timeless ones (Nas, Hov, the two dead guys, Wu, Kast, Tribe, Snoop, etc) which will be able to headline festivals, clean up overseas, have back-catalog/licensing tie-ins that continue, get features on big new records twenty years into their careers (like Andre, E-40, Eiht, Snoop, Hov, Nas, Meth, etc).

What was the exact point it started is debatable but we are now officially under way with a RAP RENAISSANCE that has the potential to end up being the best era for the genre since '96.

This Renaissance doesn't really include The Snowman, sorry to break that to the stragglers left in his declining audience until it's nobody but weed carriers, nostalgists and Jay Bilas.

I know that was a lot of words at times twisting and turning far away from this post's principal subject but fuck it, in order to make an interesting post about a lot of these cats I had to think about more recent exciting developments in the form.

Meanwhile the lucky members of the early 2000s final crew to suckle a full serving of milk from the corporate record industry cow teet, joined by the scant like Ross who got in for a late lick or two?

"I had to rearrange their faces and give 'em all another name"-Bobby D

peace.

-Bambino

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 01:06 AM

13. "You're not wrong but"
In response to Reply # 6

This is reading is anti-south

I mean couldn't you say the same thing about a lot of rappers from the 90s, i.e. Jeezy stayed relevant longer than most of the Duck Down roster sans Sean P

You're right, some rappers can stick around and craft something that stands the test of time. What did De La say...everybody cools off from being hot, it's about if you can handle being cold or not..

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 06:10 AM

14. "its not intended to, named regional reps in each category to avoid that "
In response to Reply # 13
Mon Mar-30-15 06:29 AM by Bombastic

in this era of niche-driven art, viral promotion, world-wide connectivity, corporations across the country programming the same shitty radio formats and chain restaurants......regions are more meaningless than ever before aside from each artist being able to present their personal and environmental/cultural background they spring from.

After that's established, it's just about who's making authentic and entertaining work.

And there's no model for that.

It just so happened that when the wack music stopped, a few of the prominent mainstream vet names (like the one named in this thread's subject line) left scrambling for a chair happened to be considered "Southern".

Yet Rick Ross on the other hand barely even sounds/feels like "The South" since Miami as a metropolis is kinda its own planet in & of itself while also happening to be filled with the highest concentration of New York City folk outside the five boroughs while co-signing many cold-weather-bred transplants.

However for any of those who happend to be scoring at home, L.A. is now the leader in the cclubhouse for the first time since Death Row fell apart in the late 90-s but I don't expect that to last too long.

And recently from that corner of the map, I dig the youthful exuberance displayed by the Rae Srremmund kids plus look forward to Juvie dropping that Mardi Gras project or that MannieFresh/MosDef surfacing at some point.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

81 DUN
Member since Feb 10th 2009
1674 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 05:15 PM

9. "El P and Keak Da Sneak album would be classic"
In response to Reply # 0

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 02:41 PM

15. "lmao..does keak still rap?"
In response to Reply # 9

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 09:04 PM

16. "Yeah I remeber that track. It's heat."
In response to Reply # 0

But naw, I'm not interested in Jeezy anymore.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2925580 Previous topic | Next topic