Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2925424

Subject: "FRIDAY FUN POST - What would your musical career be?" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8750 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: FRIDAY FUN POST - What would your musical career be?"

Everyone who is a passing, or casual fan of music to the John McClain diehards have at somepoint thought of themselves as the STAR. The reason young and women with deeper character scream their lungs out while waiting all day for a sight of them, or wanting hundreds of guys to feel their killer freestyle which will be on Funk Flex the next morning or earn the dap of Prince or D'Angelo during a Grammy Jam.

However, we've also had the slap of reality waking us up from our dreams of musical stardom. So we eek out a life which supports our habitual tendencies of making or consuming music.

This post is about potential fall back plans.

If you had a choice of the following career arcs and couldn't follow your dream to be a star _________, which would you choose.

Also, if you get a chance, post your reasons below. We could talk about our fantasies here.

Poll result (3 votes)
Studio Engineer / Mixer / Masterer (2 votes)Vote
Session Musician (0 votes)Vote
Background Singer (0 votes)Vote
Hype Man / Woman (0 votes)Vote
Label Guy / Gal (1 votes)Vote
W*~*d Holder (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think if I tried, I could have been a middle of the road producer
Mar 27th 2015
Guy who picks music for movie soundtracks
Mar 27th 2015
I actually want to do that now.
Mar 27th 2015
If I'd kept at it, I'd be a mid-tier rapper like Fabolous, etc.
Mar 27th 2015
I definitely wanted to be a label guy. A&R
Mar 27th 2015

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8750 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 02:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I think if I tried, I could have been a middle of the road producer"
In response to Reply # 0

but I always dreamed of mixing an album of The Roots or ATCQ. A big part of the reason I fell in love with those groups was the simple reason that I loved the way those albums and songs sounded. The great music was reason 1-B for the fondness of those groups.

I keep telling myself I need to start buying engineering magazines so I can mix a great album or something....even though I'm 38. HA!

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 02:47 PM

2. "Guy who picks music for movie soundtracks"
In response to Reply # 0

not the scores, the pop songs that need to be licensed.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 03:56 PM

3. "I actually want to do that now."
In response to Reply # 2

I guess I'd have to learn about licensing and publishing, etc. I probably wouldn't help much on "Scandal", but a few seasons ago on "Grey's Anatomy" they were choosing these sad, downtempo, acoustic covers of popular songs that ruined scenes.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 04:08 PM

4. "If I'd kept at it, I'd be a mid-tier rapper like Fabolous, etc."
In response to Reply # 0

Me and my friends were so specifically influenced by the D.F. that we all wanted to be the face of the beats/production like Rico Wade, and as lyrical as Andre, which are both daunting tasks for high schoolers to grasp. I wonder if it'd be different if we had known the dude we laughed at for releasing on the same day as Hov would have more albums than the dude we idolized.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 07:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I definitely wanted to be a label guy. A&R"
In response to Reply # 0

Just thought I could find the right artists and help them realize their vision.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2925424 Previous topic | Next topic