Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2925418

Subject: "Classic Hip Hop FM Radio Station" Previous topic | Next topic
maro
Charter member

"Classic Hip Hop FM Radio Station"
Fri Mar-27-15 02:26 PM by maro

and I don't mean satellite

Not sure if this has been discussed, but a few months ago, Philly launched an FM old school Hip-Hop station Boom 107.9 and it's dope. They straight play Hip-Hop from the 80's - 10's with a big emphasis on classic 90's shit... with little commercial activity.. for now.

It was bound to happen and it's all I hear playing from cars ridin by. Does your city have this?

werd.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i heard it when I came back home for a bit.
Mar 27th 2015
I looked up the station online
Mar 27th 2015
Atlanta currently has three "classic" hip hop stations
Mar 28th 2015
Classic Hip Hop radio
May 27th 2015
Boston has 96.9 FM
May 27th 2015
Came in here to post this.
May 27th 2015
      Very disappointing
May 28th 2015
BOOM 92 in Houston
May 28th 2015

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 02:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i heard it when I came back home for a bit."
In response to Reply # 0

Monie Love, Kwame, Chubb Rock as personalities and DJs..

I liked it. I hope it stays around. The analyst in me says its a test market station since there is a generational 'market' and 'demand' for old school hip hop in that area now. The station would work now more than it would 10 years ago.

We have sort of a station like that in Arizona. It's not fully like the one in philly because they still pump the BS over 50% of the time. Then again, the demographic is much different here than any east coast city.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Mar-27-15 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I looked up the station online"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds cool so far.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Sat Mar-28-15 06:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Atlanta currently has three "classic" hip hop stations"
In response to Reply # 0

Been up since last fall

Streets won't let me chill.

boombapdame
Member since Apr 22nd 2015
118 posts
Wed May-27-15 10:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Classic Hip Hop radio "
In response to Reply # 3

My city had one in Power 102.1 but it left the air 11/15/2013.

I find the idea of classic Hip Hop stations detrimental to the variety of contemporary Hip Hop. When I say variety I'm speaking of what's outside the terrestrial mainstream.

"If one forces the process, it comes out fake. And to me there's nothing worse than being fake." - Heavy D

Mack
Charter member
7372 posts
Wed May-27-15 02:37 PM

5. "Boston has 96.9 FM"
In response to Reply # 0

started off strong when it first debuted but now they just play Fat Joe, Ja Rule, and 50 Cent plus some current radio stuff and every once in a blue moon play something like Mass Appeal.

"Dressed up like an evil villain dressed up like a soccer dad"

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed May-27-15 09:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Came in here to post this."
In response to Reply # 5

>started off strong when it first debuted but now they just
>play Fat Joe, Ja Rule, and 50 Cent plus some current radio
>stuff and every once in a blue moon play something like Mass
>Appeal.

Have been super disappointed in that station over the last year or so. They started off on fire but now it's the same, like, 10-12 throwback songs over and over and over then the same shitty new shit I can hear on 94.5 so it lost its luster.

Oh well. They tried. What's strange is that they have an endless well of "throwbacks" but choose to rotate the same dozen songs over and over and over?

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Mack
Charter member
7372 posts
Thu May-28-15 07:10 AM

7. "Very disappointing"
In response to Reply # 6

I've heard the Philly station when I'm down there for work and it's pretty decent for radio. If 96.9 was that, it would be okay.

"Dressed up like an evil villain dressed up like a soccer dad"

Oakley
Charter member
7810 posts
Thu May-28-15 03:19 PM

8. "BOOM 92 in Houston"
In response to Reply # 0

some time last summer it was a news talk station that never blipped on my radar, then that format went off air, and i guess the station owners didn't have a new format ready when they took the news format off the air because they played Beyonce 24/7 for like 3 weeks straight.
then came the classic hip hop format, and for the first few months of that they didn't even have any DJ's on the air.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2925418 Previous topic | Next topic