Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2924398

Subject: "Love, Peace and Soulquarians (soulhead.com)" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 08:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Love, Peace and Soulquarians (soulhead.com)"

Damn near twenty years ago when the Soulquarians came together and tried to change the world, beginning in 1997 when D’Angelo and Questlove began planning the production of Voodoo(released in 2000), the Soulquarians began a five-year jam session that became the musical bedrock for The Roots black shock-wave Things Fall Apart (1999) and Phrenology (2002), Badu’s fierce Mama’s Gun (2000), Common’s soulfully stimulating Like Water for Chocolate, Bilal’s stellar debut 1st Born Second (2001) and Common’s blackadelic bug-out Electric Circus. The vibe and aura also spilled over into Mos Def’s urban jungle boogie Black on Both Sides (1999), Res’s debut gem How I Do (2001) and Talib Kweli ‘s dope-as-hell Quality(2002).

Looking like b-boy hippies, boho gypsies and hardrock flower children, the Soulquarians were a rotating rhythmic collective that included late beat-master J. Dilla, trumpeter Roy Hargrove, rapper/producer Mos Def, singer/producerErykah Badu, multi-instrumentalist D’Angelo, keyboardist James Poyser, rapper Talib Kweli, singer Bilal, bassist Pino Palladino and rap/producer Q-Tip, whose Native Tongues group A Tribe Called Quest had inspired them all.

http://www.soulhead.com/2015/03/19/love-peace-soulquarians

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That was great - sort of needs to be a book
Mar 19th 2015
Part of the reason I came here....I miss those days
Mar 19th 2015
Same!
Mar 19th 2015

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 08:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "That was great - sort of needs to be a book"
In response to Reply # 0

yep

RaphaelSoulLee
Member since May 21st 2003
3765 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 09:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Part of the reason I came here....I miss those days"
In response to Reply # 0

Just seemed at the time, an endless stream of great music

It takes all kinds to make up a world, son. -My pops

I just live for the comments -Da wiz

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 11:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Same!"
In response to Reply # 2

>Just seemed at the time, an endless stream of great music

And yea - seemed like they would drop great albums forever. Turns out it lasted for like ... 5 years. Haha.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Lobby The Lesson topic #2924398 Previous topic | Next topic