Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2924166

Subject: "Why does who you're a fan of have to be the best?" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 06:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why does who you're a fan of have to be the best?"

Guilty as charged.

Autechre >>>>>>>>>>>

But I'm saying. Why though?

Is it that you actively seek out the best music.

From elitists to the lay, everyone swears by the artist they like, not just that they're good, but that they're the best thing doing it.

Live vicarious much?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's just self-validation.
Mar 17th 2015
an attack on our favorites is an attack on us
Mar 17th 2015
ie. Console Wars. PG Warz.
Mar 17th 2015
Cage--my fav rapper--doesn't have to be "the best"
Mar 17th 2015
I think busdriver is the baddest rapper alive
Mar 17th 2015
      it's cause you love droning noise
Mar 19th 2015
      it's cause you love droning noise
Mar 19th 2015
      He sounds like a weirder open mike eagle
Mar 19th 2015
      nevermind he's too weird
Mar 19th 2015
      spoke too soon I'm kinda digin' this.
Mar 19th 2015
      okay, i FINALLY need to dig into busdriver's catalogue...
Mar 26th 2015
Now that I'm crazy old I don't feel that way
Mar 17th 2015
^ same.
Mar 17th 2015
I've got a few more months before I'm 30, but yeah.
Mar 18th 2015
because otherwise why bother.
Mar 17th 2015
I'd expect that from someone with your tastes
Mar 18th 2015
I don't really think like that about music (anymore?)
Mar 18th 2015
ain't no best.
Mar 18th 2015
I've never thought like this
Mar 18th 2015
I grew out of it.
Mar 18th 2015
at some weird point we started using best instead of favorite
Mar 18th 2015
But the problem here...
Mar 18th 2015
but ultimately opinion is just that
Mar 18th 2015
It irks me too.
Mar 18th 2015
not true..Im a fan of
Mar 18th 2015
Emotional attachment
Mar 18th 2015
When people feel strongly about something aka love
Mar 18th 2015
stats,Jewelry,hits and dominance
Mar 18th 2015
it doesnt but whatever you like is definitely wack compared to what i li...
Mar 19th 2015
as my 10 yr old daughter says....
Mar 19th 2015
ehh, grew out of it
Mar 19th 2015
echoing most things that are said
Mar 22nd 2015
Best is boring. I always ask ppl about their favorites.
Mar 22nd 2015
ie: My top 5...Monch, 3000, Ghost, Lupe, Redman, Jean Grae
Mar 22nd 2015
I always separate the two... I'm kinda a warrior about it lol
Mar 22nd 2015

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 06:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "It's just self-validation."
In response to Reply # 0

people want to like the best things, and don't want to be told their favorite things aren't the best things. somebody somewhere is in a heated argument about how McDonald's is the best food in the world because it's the thing they eat most.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 06:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "an attack on our favorites is an attack on us"
In response to Reply # 1

we heavily judge people's opinions of our favorites, and often draw life altering decisions based on that.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 06:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "ie. Console Wars. PG Warz."
In response to Reply # 1

Shoot, any wars.

https://digife.com

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 06:11 PM

2. "Cage--my fav rapper--doesn't have to be "the best""
In response to Reply # 0

I know he's not everyone's cup o tea. I'm perfectly happy enjoying my cage records while everyone else shrugs.

but I do take d'angelo criticisms very personally.

FUCK YOU IF YOU DON'T THINK D' IS THE BEST EVER.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 06:15 PM

4. "I think busdriver is the baddest rapper alive"
In response to Reply # 2

(when he's rapping)

Nobody's trying to hear me when I'm like he been pimping butterflies for a decade now. They don't hear me.

They right I'm wrong. Except bus really is the best rapper out there.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 02:06 PM

25. "it's cause you love droning noise"
In response to Reply # 4

most of us don't

astralblak
20029 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 02:06 PM

26. "it's cause you love droning noise"
In response to Reply # 4

most of us don't

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 03:31 PM

28. "He sounds like a weirder open mike eagle"
In response to Reply # 4

I'll explore this a bit deeper...

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 03:48 PM

29. "nevermind he's too weird"
In response to Reply # 4

www.anwarmorse.com

stone_phalanges
1813 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 03:54 PM

30. "spoke too soon I'm kinda digin' this."
In response to Reply # 29

www.anwarmorse.com

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Thu Mar-26-15 12:11 PM

35. "okay, i FINALLY need to dig into busdriver's catalogue..."
In response to Reply # 4

I trust your judgment.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 06:29 PM

6. "Now that I'm crazy old I don't feel that way"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-17-15 06:30 PM by Ishwip

Up until a couple of years ago at times I would be determined to "prove" so and so was the best, even providing unsolicited mixes or at least a definitive tracklist/album rankings of concrete evidence.

But now I've swung way the other direction.............maybe too far. I almost never recommend anything to friends, even those of similar musical minds, unless directly asked. And I generally don't feel motivated to convince anyone of any album's or artist's greatness.

I like what I like and it pretty much stays there unless I'm forced to elaborate.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "^ same."
In response to Reply # 6
Tue Mar-17-15 09:27 PM by Brew

Went through the same transition. As I came to the realization that it's 99.9% subjective I decided it wasn't worth arguing, for the most part. Like someone said above, there's a few artists I'll go to bat for in the right situations but mostly I'm just like "meh you like what you like..."

I still have passionate music discussions, and often. But these conversations are less combative these days, and more just an exchange of thoughts/ideas which is ultimately more enjoyable. I actually get more out of hearing what other people like even if in the end I don't end up liking it myself. I hear more music by being more open minded to different tastes.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 05:59 PM

20. "I've got a few more months before I'm 30, but yeah."
In response to Reply # 6

High school was when I really got entrenched in discovering music from all eras, still keeping up with new shit, and definitely caring enough about "real hip-hop" to tell you how MF DOOM was lightyears better than Bone Crusher. Easy argument, but I was always down to have it.

That youthful exuberance was still somewhat-present in college, partly-fueled by the fact that I went to a huge music school (Belmont). Conversations about new shit, old records, anything…that was there whenever I wanted it for those four years. I learned a lot of shit. As a DJ though, nothing rang more true than what my man told me almost 8 years ago:

"It's not normal to care about music this much."

This was coming from another DJ/music nerd, but it never really crossed my mind before that. "Normal" people don't give a shit about sampling, originality, genre-melding sublime masterpieces, etc.

They definitely don't care why you think so-and-so is the best out.

As with most things, age has mellowed my desire to *really* engage in super-nerdy music discussion. I relish those times when real music-conversation happens, but I'm far past the days of discussing the merits of a musician like it's a boxing match.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Tue Mar-17-15 09:37 PM

8. "because otherwise why bother."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 10:19 AM

13. "I'd expect that from someone with your tastes"
In response to Reply # 8

in culture, and the reasons why you like things.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 04:14 AM

9. "I don't really think like that about music (anymore?)"
In response to Reply # 0

Actually, I never thought about music like that before going into music discussions on the internet either. The way I feel about music is very much based on what I'm in the mood for at the time so it doesn't really feel right saying that someone is the best (well, Cecil Taylor but he's a special case).

However, unlike others in this thread, I see no problem debating the value of music from a subjective standpoint. Music is my biggest interest, I like to think about it, talk about and read other people's subjective opinions on it. For me, it's not even an issue of trying to sway someone's opinion or "attack" someones taste but ultimately and ideally at least TRYING to express what I like/don't like, WHY I like/don't like it and appreciating reading others doing the same thing.

I don't think my opinion has ever been swayed in terms of stuff I REALLY like/don't like but it's still interesting to read others take on it and at least in the case of shit I don't like, someones positive opinions can draw attention to details I might previously overlooked due to disgust/whatever.

When it comes to stuff I'm on the fence about though, I can EASILY be swayed in one direction or the other and I feel no shame about it either; as I said, people's opinions can highlight details I might have overlooked; I'm not pompous enough to suggest that I can notice everything in music I don't have a strong, previous relationship with.

The type of people who blatantly REFUSE to acknowledge that their music-appreciation doesn't exist in some vacuum totally independent of others are naive IMO and I don't believe them...

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 05:20 AM

10. "ain't no best. "
In response to Reply # 0

not really.

that being said, michael jackson is the greatest of all time
because i listen to him a lot and i can find lots of things to like
about him because i listen so often.

ppl that love ray charles the way i love mike
could do the same.

and they would also be right.

because ain't no best.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 05:42 AM

11. "I've never thought like this"
In response to Reply # 0

Leaving it at emcees and rappers, all things considered and thrown in equally, I maintain that Mele Mel is the best emcee the culture has produced. But he's not my favorite.
It's sort of childish and flimsy to think "my favorite ____ is the best ever" because usually it's based on personal perspective. Contrary to popular belief, you actually can quantify the technical aspects of the art if you had to, when we don't allow for it to be discussed because of personal feelings/contemporary bias, it can get old quickly.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 07:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "I grew out of it."
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe 7 or 8 yrs ago, I think. I gained new perspective and now I don't need errbody or even the ppl I respect to like what I like for the reasons I like it. Or to convince ppl they don't or shouldn't dislike what I dislike. And I'm fine with loving shit that others think is boo-boo (what up, Kenny!).

fuck you.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 11:00 AM

14. "at some weird point we started using best instead of favorite"
In response to Reply # 0

as though YOU liking them somehow elevates their overall status (the same thing work in the reverse, you NOT liking them means "they suck")

perhaps it IS a self-validation thing

either way it's irksome to me

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 11:44 AM

15. "But the problem here..."
In response to Reply # 14

...is that when you say there is a distinction, you are IMOstrongly implying there actually exists such a thing as an objective "truth" and I find that dangerous honestly.

I have no problem saying that something sucks because it does... to *me*. And whose else perspective can I possibly write from? The general consensus? A non-existing truth???

I think it's pretty much a given that someones opinion is, in fact, their opinion because there are no truths or facts when dealing with something as subjective as appreciation of art.

Of course, if someone say that Melachi the nutcracker was a *technically* superior rapper to Nas, then I would like to see that person deliver a strong argument for their case since it's such an unusual opinion and I would actually find it interesting to see how someone could come to such a conclusion.

I think cases like these are a bit different from just saying that someones music sucks though which ultimately isn't really an opinion worth debating even if it's obviously a plus if someone will say *why* they think it sucks...

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 12:42 PM

16. "but ultimately opinion is just that"
In response to Reply # 15

saying its good/better/than/best (or the opposite) doesn't make that true for anyone BUT you and those who agree

which is why ">>>>>" or "<<<<<" conversations are fine to get a peek into the thought processes of the speaker, but really don't establish anything other than a pooling of like minds

and beyond *that*

it is increasingly rare to really even get much of an actual discussion of "why", as opposed to "it just is..."

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 02:10 PM

17. "It irks me too."
In response to Reply # 14

fuck you.

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 02:19 PM

18. "not true..Im a fan of"
In response to Reply # 0

The Cult and theyre not the best anything

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 02:55 PM

19. "Emotional attachment"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-18-15 02:55 PM by Musa

Most people cannot be objective.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 07:59 PM

21. "When people feel strongly about something aka love"
In response to Reply # 0

there is nothing better or sweeter on the planet. think about your s.o when you first get together, you literally think sunshine comes out of their ass (c) juno's dad, but other people don't.

we love something and want to share how we feel about it with the world, and there is literally nothing better in that moment.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Mar-18-15 11:11 PM

22. "stats,Jewelry,hits and dominance"
In response to Reply # 0

of course you earned the right to brag and be loud about it.

the music busines is competition and its a business and nobody wants to be seen as old news or a never was.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

guru0509
Charter member
45357 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 01:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "it doesnt but whatever you like is definitely wack compared to what i li..."
In response to Reply # 0

:)

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

tariqhu
Charter member
17892 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 09:07 AM

24. "as my 10 yr old daughter says...."
In response to Reply # 0

my opinion is superior.

that's really all it is, just a bit of ego.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

astralblak
20029 posts
Thu Mar-19-15 02:07 PM

27. "ehh, grew out of it"
In response to Reply # 0

i still side eye folk who don't like certain shit though

autechre = trash

Delajoo
Member since Jul 30th 2010
1331 posts
Sun Mar-22-15 07:54 AM

31. "echoing most things that are said"
In response to Reply # 0

By the day I care less if my favorite is accepted as consensus of the best rapper. I hold my top 5 of things dearly to my heart, and its more important to me that someone whose opinion I respect has some sort of crossover with my top 5 with their own, than that we both agree that one is the best.

The same way I think that Pineapple is the king of fruit, but find people who throw up Mango or Strawberry (my 2 & 3) in their top to be my people .

I do think that there is another thing about being what is considered the "best" being important beyond validation, and that is a larger cultural mobility sort of thing. If what I think is the best, is also considered the best, and recognized as such (i.e The Grammy's), then the culture might move towards that style/taste/level of excellence. If something I consider mediocre or even bad gets touted, i hope that it's place at the top gets dissected in fear of cultural movements towards that end of the spectrum.

But that in itself its own form of validation seeking so I guess it all stems from the same place.

-------------------
village.fm/okayplayer | @delajoo
"Whether you're a rock star or a garbage man, if you think about yourself all the time, you won't be very good at what you do." - Frusciante

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Mar-22-15 08:31 AM

32. "Best is boring. I always ask ppl about their favorites."
In response to Reply # 0

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Mar-22-15 08:34 AM

33. "ie: My top 5...Monch, 3000, Ghost, Lupe, Redman, Jean Grae"
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck I care if that's technically "six"

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14018 posts
Sun Mar-22-15 11:05 AM

34. "I always separate the two... I'm kinda a warrior about it lol"
In response to Reply # 0

I stay checking ppl who can't separate the two

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Lobby The Lesson topic #2924166 Previous topic | Next topic