Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2923571

Subject: "CHOPS15 Challenge#5 - REprogression" Previous topic | Next topic
_Torchbaras
Member since Jun 03rd 2011
2031 posts
Sat Mar-14-15 02:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"CHOPS15 Challenge#5 - REprogression"

In light of this

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2922052&mesg_id=2922052&page=

I dedicate this round to pushin the boundaries, expandin the universe, broadenin the spectrum etc. etc. in terms of SAMPLING...

Whatever you come up with, add a few words to let us know what you did... and why... and how...

Make HEAT!!!

----------------------------------

NEW Edo.G album FreEDOm coming soon!!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
#1, here goes...
Mar 23rd 2015
Whaaagh?
Mar 29th 2015
      Yup, and thanks man!!!
Mar 29th 2015
           RE: Yup, and thanks man!!!
Mar 30th 2015
Here's something I chopped up.
Mar 28th 2015
Yooo,
Mar 28th 2015
      RE: Yooo,
Mar 29th 2015
Mar 29th 2015
Mar 30th 2015

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 06:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "#1, here goes..."
In response to Reply # 0

my take on the challenge...

https://soundcloud.com/torchbaras/reprogression

My tech approach was to get as much sound outa as lil source material as possible, plus takin control of the melodic structure to ensure room to compose.
The artistic focus was on preservin the vibe of my go-to source for sampling - 70s soul/jazz. This in order to create my own prefered style of beats - 90s/early 2Ks boom bap!

Process divided into 3 phases:

#1. Findin suitable 1 note sources, an organ and a strings chop.
#2. Buildin a 10 sec piece from those, as similar to authentic 70s breaks as possible. Addin crackle salways.
#3. Choppin that as I would any sample, makin the beat from that, addin drums, bass, "classic" quote and choir to beef it up!

Fcourse phase 2 was rigged in a sense, since it was possible to leave out elements, for example drums, but hey, why make it harder on yaself?

All in all, a nice lil experiment in how to think samplin diff - lemme know what it is!!!

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 02:37 AM

4. "Whaaagh?"
In response to Reply # 1

Man that phase 2 part is lovely! You made that yourself from those 2 notes?!!!? That sounds exactly like a sample. That could be the track right there as well. Just looping that up and adding drums to it.

Also, really digging the "phase #" vocal samples. Very nice.

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 05:25 AM

7. "Yup, and thanks man!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

I sometimes make a beat straight from Phase 2 but it always lacks that "chopped" feelin plus it tends to sound too constructed, bein that some of the dynamics of an original acoustic piece is HARD or even impossible to mimic this way...

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 09:08 AM

9. "RE: Yup, and thanks man!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

It's Hip-Hop though, just be like "I meant to do that." I use that for everything. Ha ha.

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Sat Mar-28-15 12:10 AM

2. "Here's something I chopped up. "
In response to Reply # 0

I heard the sample source track in a movie and then got ahold of it and chopped it up a couple of days later. (I was wondering why I didn't own this already). I definitely tried to try some new things this time with the way I chopped the bassline and with the drums. I decided to write to it and I'm about half done with the final song. (Go With The Flow) It's about not stressing the small things too much and enjoying life. So look for that in a couple of years. LOL.

https://soundcloud.com/herb-one/dont-dance-instrumental-demo

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sat Mar-28-15 06:17 PM

3. "Yooo,"
In response to Reply # 2

I like what you did on here man! I could never go uptempo like that.

Also,
I think of myself as someone with lots of chops, but you always seem to outdo me in that department lol...

On the real, the two brass and piano main chops are HELLA DOPE, be soundin like some uptempo DITC vibe ish!!! Also, the lil constant guit picks, the extra brass stabs and the choir chops are perfect for the rest of the build!

Drums are fresh, specially the loudclapsnare, Id lift that straight off the Cloud without hesitation lol...

Lots of changeups and downs, dig that!

If I am to point my finger at somethin itd be the bass bein a bit to jumpy, I think since the rest of the beat is so stutter heavy, itd benefit from a few, longer bass notes instead...

NICE one, real good stuff!!!

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 02:44 AM

5. "RE: Yooo,"
In response to Reply # 3

>I like what you did on here man! I could never go uptempo
>like that.

Yeah the track is only 95 BPM's though. I didn't really set out to make any specific style or really like it turned out, I just wanted it to have bounce so I guess it sounds faster than it actually is.

>Also,
>I think of myself as someone with lots of chops, but you
>always seem to outdo me in that department lol...
>
>On the real, the two brass and piano main chops are HELLA
>DOPE, be soundin like some uptempo DITC vibe ish!!! Also, the
>lil constant guit picks, the extra brass stabs and the choir
>chops are perfect for the rest of the build!
>
>Drums are fresh, specially the loudclapsnare, Id lift that
>straight off the Cloud without hesitation lol...
>
>Lots of changeups and downs, dig that!

Thanks, for the props. I really appreciate the feedback. It's good to get input about what I'm doing, so I can know when I'm heading in the right direction.

>If I am to point my finger at somethin itd be the bass bein a
>bit to jumpy, I think since the rest of the beat is so
>stutter heavy, itd benefit from a few, longer bass notes
>instead...

Yeah I added a couple of 808 hits when there's a gap in the chopped bass, but you can't really hear it, so I think I'll make another bassline in Reason and switch between the two (using a more simple but deeper hitting bassline when the music is more hectic) and I'll keep the chopped bass for the breakdown parts. Thanks for the feedback on this.

>NICE one, real good stuff!!!

-----------
Herb-One "The One & Only"

http://www.facebook.com/Herb.One.Music
http://twitter.com/Herb_One
-----------

_Torchbaras
2031 posts
Sun Mar-29-15 05:07 AM

6. "RE: Yooo,"
In response to Reply # 5

>Yeah the track is only 95 BPM's though. I didn't really set
>out to make any specific style or really like it turned out, I
>just wanted it to have bounce so I guess it sounds faster than
>it actually is.

95 fast to me... hell, 93 fast to me at this point in life lol...
And you right, bounce and vibe can pace a beat in mysterious ways!

Props are deserved - theres solid progress when comparin your past work!

>Yeah I added a couple of 808 hits when there's a gap in the
>chopped bass, but you can't really hear it, so I think I'll
>make another bassline in Reason and switch between the two
>(using a more simple but deeper hitting bassline when the
>music is more hectic) and I'll keep the chopped bass for the
>breakdown parts. Thanks for the feedback on this.

Word, theres 808s in there? I know lots of producers use em to beef up the kick. I myself suck just enuff at mixin to make it impossible for me to give the bassline room when Ive got an 808 in there hah!!!

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 02:42 AM

8. "RE: Yooo,"
In response to Reply # 6

>95 fast to me... hell, 93 fast to me at this point in life
>lol...
>And you right, bounce and vibe can pace a beat in mysterious
>ways!

Yeah when I started out I always kept everything between 92 and 99 so I still consider songs in the 83-91 range as a little bit slow. I use slower tempos but when I have to arbitrarily pick a tempo I'm usually picking 95 or 96 for some reason.

>Word, theres 808s in there? I know lots of producers use em to
>beef up the kick. I myself suck just enuff at mixin to make it
>impossible for me to give the bassline room when Ive got an
>808 in there hah!!!

Actually the 808 hits on some of the snares. I think you can hear it during the break parts where it's just bass and guitar and drums. But yeah I'll do a proper bassline and alternate between the two.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2923571 Previous topic | Next topic