Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2922028

Subject: "Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast" Previous topic | Next topic
Kil
Member since Oct 06th 2005
971 posts
Sun Mar-01-15 11:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast"

For this week's episode of the Writer's Bench we're chopping it up about all things west coast. First up we've got what are our favorite west coast album, MC, producer not named Dre, slept on MC, our fave west coast moments, the NWA trailer and who's got next on the MC tip out west...Fashawn or Kendrick Lamar? So I got the same questions on tap for ya'll...but the most important question is always what made ya'll choose your picks?

http://www.willmakebeatsforfood.com/2015/03/live-from-writers-bench-best-of-west.html

The Corner Radio Podcast Hosted by Kil
@Kil889
www.willmakebeatsforfood.com
www.soundcloud.com/kil889

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast
Mar 03rd 2015
Mar 05th 2015
Mar 05th 2015
      name a post-Cube song that lyrically compares to Boyz-N-Tha-Hood
Mar 06th 2015
Right and Wrong...
Mar 05th 2015
As long as King T gets shown some love, I won't riot
Mar 03rd 2015
RE: As long as King T gets shown some love, I won't riot
Mar 04th 2015
^^^ This
Mar 05th 2015
Mar 05th 2015
Mar 05th 2015
Mar 07th 2015
Needed more perspective
Mar 06th 2015
I'm from Philly/South Jersey but agree with everything u said here
Mar 06th 2015
You're someone that could do a show like this
Mar 08th 2015
RE: Needed more perspective
Mar 07th 2015
Mar 08th 2015
Mar 08th 2015
                All Good
Mar 08th 2015
great episode
Mar 06th 2015
Mar 23rd 2015
i'd love a follow-up to this discussion after TPAB settles in
Mar 24th 2015

YupYupLikeTeddy
Member since Dec 04th 2004
193 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 02:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast"
In response to Reply # 0

The best west coast album is the Chronic. It's basically the album that introduced the world to the west and that's where the tide started to shift from the east to the west. Best MC gotta be Ras Kas. I know he never had a solid album out but as far as lyrical skills...he was right up there with Nas. Best producer not named dre gotta be Quick. Nobody ever seems to give him his props but Quick is a monster. For slept on I gotta go with the Heiro crew from del to souls to casual. Those dudes were like the west coast we tang clan but again...they don't get their props for that. As far as who got next, it's Fashawn. Like dude said to me Kendrick ain't even the nicest in his crew.

Hiphopsince1974
Member since Feb 05th 2011
143 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 02:54 PM

4. "RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast"
In response to Reply # 1

Niggaz4life the best west coast album EVER? Nah. I'll go with Ev & Beezo with Cypress over anything NWA did. To me they were just always shock value rappers (Except Cube) IMO.

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 04:21 PM

5. "RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast"
In response to Reply # 4

> To me they were
>just always shock value rappers (Except Cube) IMO.

Why do you exclude Cube? He wrote most of the lyrics before he left so he was the "shock value" puppet master.

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com
"Lo-Fi Holiday" Now Available!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lo-fi-holiday/id985794237
https://plazamelodic.bandcamp.com/album/lo-fi-holiday
http://soundcloud.com/beatroom88

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 09:50 PM

12. "name a post-Cube song that lyrically compares to Boyz-N-Tha-Hood"
In response to Reply # 5

Or Fuck Tha Police, Dopeman, Gangsta Gangsta, Nobody Move, Express Yourself.

There was humor, social commentary, storytelling, quotables, etc in those records from a lyrical perspective.

And most were penned before Cube was legal drinking age.

Dre grew as a producer by light years (he was basically just an LA dude doing his interpretation of Bomb Squad on their debut) and Cube did the same with the rhymes once he was he was writing strictly for himself while in New York working with the actual Bomb Squad.

Ren wasn't a 'shock value' rapper, Ren was more an old-school battle rapper, like you hear on If It Ain't Ruff or Compton's In The House.

But people forget that Eazy, who didn't/couldn't really write, was easily the star of that group when they were active.

I saw NWA when I was 12 in 89 with Public Enemy, Too Short, Kid N Play, Kwame, Salt N Pepa, Steady B, EPMD and JJ Fad.

Yet the show was billed as the 'Eazy-Duz-It Tour'.

So between Eazy and Dre not really being writers, Ren not being the type of writer who could conceptualize for others, NWA became about Dre's production, Eazy's star power and doubling down on the gangsta concept to cartoonish levels.

>> To me they were
>>just always shock value rappers (Except Cube) IMO.
>
>
>Why do you exclude Cube? He wrote most of the lyrics before he
>left so he was the "shock value" puppet master.
>

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 04:58 PM

7. "Right and Wrong..."
In response to Reply # 1

Ras Kass is one of the best MC's from the West Coast ever, and he does have a dope, border line great LP, "Blasphemy". Don't sleep, brother did his thing....

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Tue Mar-03-15 03:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "As long as King T gets shown some love, I won't riot"
In response to Reply # 0

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Kil
971 posts
Wed Mar-04-15 12:26 AM

3. "RE: As long as King T gets shown some love, I won't riot"
In response to Reply # 2

Lol...mos def King Tee got shown love...so did the Lix.

@Kil889

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 07:24 PM

9. "^^^ This"
In response to Reply # 2

King T always did his thing on his albums and every guest spot I've ever heard him on.

I mean... Dude's St Ides commercial was heavily requested on the radio out that way... That has to mean something.

---------------------------

forcing myself to actually respond to you is like bathing in ebola virus. - Binlahab

Like there is stupid, and then there is you, and then there is dead. - VAsBestBBW

R.I.P. Disco D

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 04:43 PM

6. "RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast"
In response to Reply # 0

lol this a east coast ep disguised as a west coast ep lol. at least y'all stayed true and talked about the artists you're familiar with. Salute to another solid ep.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Thu Mar-05-15 05:01 PM

8. "RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast"
In response to Reply # 0

1st things 1st...
I'm not really a west coast dude so I don't feel qualified to provide a professional analysis. So i'm only chiming in on the stuff I feel the most passionate about.

That being said, I pretty much messed with the boom bap sample oriented stuff most as my intro to West Coast hip hop.

Favs:
Del (specifically "I Wish My Brother George Was Here")
Souls of Mischief (specifically "93 'till Infinity"
Def Jef (specifically "Just A Poet With Soul")
The Pharcyde
Aceyalone
I messed with ICE T after Colors too.

I learned to appreciate NWA a bit late since I was all about Dela Soul's "3 Feet High And Rising".
I actually use to dis NWA and Gangsta Rap because in my mind, all Native Tongues, PRT, PE, Brand Nubian...etc were righteous and uplifting and could do no wrong (I later learned otherwise but...).

By the time "Efil4zaggin" dropped, I got it and understood the illness of NWA. BUT THAT WAS ALL ABOUT THE BEATS FOR ME! I wasn't listening to them and being in amazement about the lyrical ability by any means.

As far as producers...

We excluded Dre but I'd like to say that Pre- Chronic 2001 Dre is GOAT material (NWA,EAZY,DOC,both CHRONICS...crazy) but post Chronic 2001, his beats pretty much sound the same. They sound sonically dope no doubt, but pretty much the same stuff(with some exceptions of course) AND
when stuff does sound dif., he hear that someone else made it.

Quik is dope but I tend to feel like he lacks versatility or to put it simply his beats sound too much alike over the years.

The west coast has a lot of dope producers but to get to the point, i'll have to agree with you cats and go with Madlib. He does so much and has so much creativity and then of course, he is a sample based dude that is every bit as much creative as Dilla.

Also, maybe I missed it but did you dudes give Jake One some shine during this episode?
I don't recall hearing his name but I could have missed it because I was doing other things while listening.

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com
"Lo-Fi Holiday" Now Available!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lo-fi-holiday/id985794237
https://plazamelodic.bandcamp.com/album/lo-fi-holiday
http://soundcloud.com/beatroom88

Kil
971 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 02:13 AM

15. "RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast"
In response to Reply # 8

I reached out to Jake for the show so he could give a west coast perspective especially from the Seattle side of things but he was on the road. But yeah, Jake is mos def one of the illest doing it now, not only from the west but period.

@Kil889

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 12:24 AM

10. "Needed more perspective"
In response to Reply # 0

This is one of those shows they needed to either not talk about the West Coast Hip Hop scene if the knowledge is so limited or have the perspective of an informed head from outside of the East Coast. It came across pretty patronizing and narrow in it's scope in my opinion. That said here are my picks:

1. Cube is the West Coast MC period. The whole point about him having 12 albums and only 3 good ones is bullshit. Beyond the fact that he's got 3 certifiable classics that he's a part of most MC's don't have more than 1 classic album. How many bricks did Big Daddy Kane drop? Nas has been coasting on one great album for 20 years.

2. Death Certificate is the greatest West Coast album and possible greatest Hip Hop album period. No other album captured the, feel, anger and attitude of not only LA but Black America at that time.

3. Quik is the greatest producer not named Dre. It's weird to here someone judging Quik's music (or anyone's music for that matter) if they haven't actually listened to any of it. The work Quik did on Second II None's first album, Suga Free's first album and Mausberg's album would be legendary on it's on without even including his own groundbreaking material. Quik added a musicality to Hip Hop production that wasn't really there before him.

4. It's almost laughable to me that anyone would try and suggest that Fashawn has "got next" over Kendrick. Kendrick doesn't even have next..he has now. Fashawn is a solid MC and he dropped a decent new album but I feel like dudes were trying hard to argue that he's got next just to not pick Kendrick on some "I don't want to go with the most popular pick" type of shit. To say that Kendrick isn't even the best MC in his crew? TDE dudes even know better than that and they all have egos.

5. Most underrated MC's I'll go with the Alkaholiks. J-Ro & Tash dropped some serious lyrical heat that doesn't get nearly the amount of recognition that it should.

A true West Coast show would have brought up the Good Life/Project Blowed, Freestyle Fellowship, Above The Law, The Pharcyde, Kurupt, DJ Pooh, Jurassic 5, E-40, Souls vs Hiero, Cube vs Cypress, Cube vs Kam, Ice T & Rhyme Syndicate which gave birth to people like WC, Everlast, etc. No real mention of all of the other West Coast dudes making noise like Tyler, Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, Joey Fatts, Blu. Makes me wonder if you guys are even aware of most of them. Sometimes I forget how area specific some folks ears are. Then I watch an episode like this and I get reminded of that fact.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 10:24 PM

13. "I'm from Philly/South Jersey but agree with everything u said here"
In response to Reply # 10

I had no idea that cats from the East coast like these dudes who were in high school at the time (I was in 7th grade in 89) felt like this West Coast shit was so foreign to them at the time.

I was copping all these West Coast albums (Power, Rhyme Pays, Life Is..., Straight Outta Compton, Act A Fool) on the corner of 8th & Market in Philly at that time.

Was also copping that Luke Skywalker/2Live/Miami bass shit and early Mix-a-Lot then Digital.

I'm listening to this pod as confused as I was when Too Short got booed off the stage at the Spectrum.

Guess I was too young to bother thinking territorially about my rap music, shit rap as a whole was still a foreign thing in the mainstream outside a few records, the divisions to me didn't really exist like that until 94/95.

>This is one of those shows they needed to either not talk
>about the West Coast Hip Hop scene if the knowledge is so
>limited or have the perspective of an informed head from
>outside of the East Coast. It came across pretty patronizing
>and narrow in it's scope in my opinion. That said here are my
>picks:
>
>1. Cube is the West Coast MC period. The whole point about him
>having 12 albums and only 3 good ones is bullshit. Beyond the
>fact that he's got 3 certifiable classics that he's a part of
>most MC's don't have more than 1 classic album. How many
>bricks did Big Daddy Kane drop? Nas has been coasting on one
>great album for 20 years.
>
>2. Death Certificate is the greatest West Coast album and
>possible greatest Hip Hop album period. No other album
>captured the, feel, anger and attitude of not only LA but
>Black America at that time.
>
>3. Quik is the greatest producer not named Dre. It's weird to
>here someone judging Quik's music (or anyone's music for that
>matter) if they haven't actually listened to any of it. The
>work Quik did on Second II None's first album, Suga Free's
>first album and Mausberg's album would be legendary on it's on
>without even including his own groundbreaking material. Quik
>added a musicality to Hip Hop production that wasn't really
>there before him.
>
>4. It's almost laughable to me that anyone would try and
>suggest that Fashawn has "got next" over Kendrick. Kendrick
>doesn't even have next..he has now. Fashawn is a solid MC and
>he dropped a decent new album but I feel like dudes were
>trying hard to argue that he's got next just to not pick
>Kendrick on some "I don't want to go with the most popular
>pick" type of shit. To say that Kendrick isn't even the best
>MC in his crew? TDE dudes even know better than that and they
>all have egos.
>
>5. Most underrated MC's I'll go with the Alkaholiks. J-Ro &
>Tash dropped some serious lyrical heat that doesn't get nearly
>the amount of recognition that it should.
>
>A true West Coast show would have brought up the Good
>Life/Project Blowed, Freestyle Fellowship, Above The Law, The
>Pharcyde, Kurupt, DJ Pooh, Jurassic 5, E-40, Souls vs Hiero,
>Cube vs Cypress, Cube vs Kam, Ice T & Rhyme Syndicate which
>gave birth to people like WC, Everlast, etc. No real mention
>of all of the other West Coast dudes making noise like Tyler,
>Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, Joey Fatts, Blu. Makes me
>wonder if you guys are even aware of most of them. Sometimes I
>forget how area specific some folks ears are. Then I watch an
>episode like this and I get reminded of that fact.
>
>
>

https://soundcloud.com/matt-koelling-666011203

www.somethinginthewudder.com

https://twitter.com/nostrabombus

https://www.facebook.com/matt.koelling.96

https://www.instagram.com/something_in_the_wudder/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-koelling-438a80

Luke Cage
3047 posts
Sun Mar-08-15 05:40 AM

17. "You're someone that could do a show like this"
In response to Reply # 13

If I'm going to watch some West Coast dudes talk about East Coast Hip Hop I don't want to hear from the dudes who "ain't really East Coast fans". I would want to hear from dudes who are just heads and fans of whoever is dope regardless of where they are from or stylistic differences. There are too many other subjects to talk about and too many other East Coast cats who could do a show like this and give it the proper respect it deserves. Someone like Primo (who's actually from Texas) would do an amazing job with a show like this because he has broad tastes.

>I had no idea that cats from the East coast like these dudes
>who were in high school at the time (I was in 7th grade in 89)
>felt like this West Coast shit was so foreign to them at the
>time.

We always heard it out here and couldn't understand it because when KDAY was cracking back then we literally heard, loved and bought shit from everywhere. BDP, Rakim, Kane, etc would come out here and people would lose their minds at the show. As much love as Ice T got at home he didn't get more than the greats from wherever they came from.
>
>I was copping all these West Coast albums (Power, Rhyme Pays,
>Life Is..., Straight Outta Compton, Act A Fool) on the corner
>of 8th & Market in Philly at that time.
>
>Was also copping that Luke Skywalker/2Live/Miami bass shit and
>early Mix-a-Lot then Digital.
>
>I'm listening to this pod as confused as I was when Too Short
>got booed off the stage at the Spectrum.
>
>Guess I was too young to bother thinking territorially about
>my rap music, shit rap as a whole was still a foreign thing in
>the mainstream outside a few records, the divisions to me
>didn't really exist like that until 94/95.

Most of the territorial stuff back then was really all NY based in my opinion. NY shitted on everyone including Philly! I knew a lot of Philly heads who loved NWA, Ice T, etc and it always made sense to me because of Schoolly D's influence on the whole Philly scene.
>
>>This is one of those shows they needed to either not talk
>>about the West Coast Hip Hop scene if the knowledge is so
>>limited or have the perspective of an informed head from
>>outside of the East Coast. It came across pretty patronizing
>>and narrow in it's scope in my opinion. That said here are
>my
>>picks:
>>
>>1. Cube is the West Coast MC period. The whole point about
>him
>>having 12 albums and only 3 good ones is bullshit. Beyond
>the
>>fact that he's got 3 certifiable classics that he's a part
>of
>>most MC's don't have more than 1 classic album. How many
>>bricks did Big Daddy Kane drop? Nas has been coasting on one
>>great album for 20 years.
>>
>>2. Death Certificate is the greatest West Coast album and
>>possible greatest Hip Hop album period. No other album
>>captured the, feel, anger and attitude of not only LA but
>>Black America at that time.
>>
>>3. Quik is the greatest producer not named Dre. It's weird
>to
>>here someone judging Quik's music (or anyone's music for
>that
>>matter) if they haven't actually listened to any of it. The
>>work Quik did on Second II None's first album, Suga Free's
>>first album and Mausberg's album would be legendary on it's
>on
>>without even including his own groundbreaking material. Quik
>>added a musicality to Hip Hop production that wasn't really
>>there before him.
>>
>>4. It's almost laughable to me that anyone would try and
>>suggest that Fashawn has "got next" over Kendrick. Kendrick
>>doesn't even have next..he has now. Fashawn is a solid MC
>and
>>he dropped a decent new album but I feel like dudes were
>>trying hard to argue that he's got next just to not pick
>>Kendrick on some "I don't want to go with the most popular
>>pick" type of shit. To say that Kendrick isn't even the best
>>MC in his crew? TDE dudes even know better than that and
>they
>>all have egos.
>>
>>5. Most underrated MC's I'll go with the Alkaholiks. J-Ro &
>>Tash dropped some serious lyrical heat that doesn't get
>nearly
>>the amount of recognition that it should.
>>
>>A true West Coast show would have brought up the Good
>>Life/Project Blowed, Freestyle Fellowship, Above The Law,
>The
>>Pharcyde, Kurupt, DJ Pooh, Jurassic 5, E-40, Souls vs Hiero,
>>Cube vs Cypress, Cube vs Kam, Ice T & Rhyme Syndicate which
>>gave birth to people like WC, Everlast, etc. No real mention
>>of all of the other West Coast dudes making noise like
>Tyler,
>>Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, Joey Fatts, Blu. Makes me
>>wonder if you guys are even aware of most of them. Sometimes
>I
>>forget how area specific some folks ears are. Then I watch
>an
>>episode like this and I get reminded of that fact.
>>
>>
>>
>

Kil
971 posts
Sat Mar-07-15 02:10 AM

14. "RE: Needed more perspective"
In response to Reply # 10

I see what you're saying fam and that's why I started the show off with the whole "this ain't our lane" intro cause the west coast ain't our thing but you do know that everyone you picked got named right? I mean outside of Death Certificate being named the best album ever, I picked Cube as the best MC, Beezo said Quick and/or Battlecat (I can't remember right now) as the best producer and I named the Alkaholiks as the most slept on group. That's like saying the grammy's were wack but ya'll both had the same picks outside of 1. And I agree with you Nas has had a lot of duds but come on...you're really gonna put Cube and Nas in the same sentence? I've NEVER heard ANYONE east or west coast say "who's the best MC? Biggie, Jayz, Nas...or Cube? The fact is Nas just dropped a VERY dope album 2 years ago. Do you honestly believe Cube could do the same? I work with teens in SE Washington DC and when I told them Cube was a rapper they didn't even believe me. Let alone a gangster rapper! They're like the guy from Barbershop 2 and Are We There Yet?!?! And trust, me and Beezo weren't saying Fashawn to try to be different, that's what we believe. And as far as Kendrick having now, I feel like he's got now by default cause who else is that big with a Dre cosign reppin' the west? If Kendrick dropped in '94 when Snoop was Snoop he'd be lost in the sauce. In fact dude would be looked at how cats look as Ras Kas...a dope lyrical dude who couldn't push his way or his skills past the Aftermath/Death Row crew.

As far as what a "real west coast show" would've been...it's like I said earlier we tried to stay in our lane. To be honest, I have no idea why so many subscribers and cats who watch the show wanted US to do a west coast show. Follow me on twitter and you'll see how many folk get at me like "when ya'll doing a west coast show?" Surprises the hell outta me so we tried to do it justice by talking about what we knew. And to be honest I've heard from all of the MC's you named (Blu, Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt) and outside of Blu I'm not really feeling them. Gave that Vince Staples EP he dropped a nice run cause cats were going crazy over it and I don't see it. Like I said we can only talk about what we know but don't worry...we'll be staying in our lane more often then not. But either way, good looking out for checking the show and giving us your time. If you ever wanna sit in and school us on the real west coast culture there's always a seat for ya!

@Kil889

Luke Cage
3047 posts
Sun Mar-08-15 05:28 AM

16. "RE: Needed more perspective"
In response to Reply # 14

>I see what you're saying fam and that's why I started the
>show off with the whole "this ain't our lane" intro cause the
>west coast ain't our thing but you do know that everyone you
>picked got named right? I mean outside of Death Certificate
>being named the best album ever, I picked Cube as the best MC,
>Beezo said Quick and/or Battlecat (I can't remember right now)
>as the best producer and I named the Alkaholiks as the most
>slept on group. That's like saying the grammy's were wack but
>ya'll both had the same picks outside of 1.

It's not just a matter of what was named it was the whole tone. To say that you've never heard a Quik album but because other people say he's dope you will name him as the most slept on producer is the most backhanded of compliments. You aren't really critiquing the music because you admit to not liking it and not even listening to it so why even bother naming him? Just go ahead and pick the more East Coast sounding producers that you actually listen to like Alchemist instead.

And I agree with
>you Nas has had a lot of duds but come on...you're really
>gonna put Cube and Nas in the same sentence? I've NEVER heard
>ANYONE east or west coast say "who's the best MC? Biggie,
>Jayz, Nas...or Cube? The fact is Nas just dropped a VERY dope
>album 2 years ago. Do you honestly believe Cube could do the
>same? I work with teens in SE Washington DC and when I told
>them Cube was a rapper they didn't even believe me. Let alone
>a gangster rapper! They're like the guy from Barbershop 2 and
>Are We There Yet?!?!

The fact that you don't think Cube even belongs in the same conversation with Nas is just more proof that you guys really shouldn't be discussing West Coast Hip Hop because there is little to no respect. Cube is a top 5 MC period and his 3 album run from Straight Outta Compton to Amerikkka's Most to Death Certificate ranks with any great 3 album run in the history of Hip Hop. Simply because he is a more known as an actor now and kids who weren't even born when he was making the best Hip Hop around don't know that is more a statement about their own lack of knowledge than it is an indictment about Cube's skills an MC or place in history. I'm sure those same kids think of Dre more for his headphones than for groundbreaking production since he hasn't dropped an album in over 15 years but that shouldn't negate his place in Hip Hop history because of their limited knowledge.

And trust, me and Beezo weren't saying
>Fashawn to try to be different, that's what we believe. And as
>far as Kendrick having now, I feel like he's got now by
>default cause who else is that big with a Dre cosign reppin'
>the west? If Kendrick dropped in '94 when Snoop was Snoop he'd
>be lost in the sauce. In fact dude would be looked at how cats
>look as Ras Kas...a dope lyrical dude who couldn't push his
>way or his skills past the Aftermath/Death Row crew.

It's not even about how big Kendrick is or his cosign. He's making the best music period. If he only sold 100k records I'd feel the same way. Kendrick is a way better MC who makes much better music than Fashawn ever could. He's better when he just spits and he certainly makes better albums. Hell his Section 80 Mixtape was better than anything Fashawn has ever done and people (out West at least) were all over that long before there was any Dre affiliation and he had no hits. Ras is dope but he could never write an album as complete as Section 80 let alone Good Kid Maad City so I totally disagree that he would have been ignored if he came out in 94. Back then the West was begging for an MC to bridge the gap between the Good Life type of MC's and the Death Row/Lench Mob type of MC's which is exactly what Kendrick does. I actually believe he would have been even bigger back then because there was much more attention on the West and record sales were through the roof for albums that were not nearly as good. Back then if you were remotely tied to Dre or Cube you had a chance to sell a shit ton of records. If Warren G could sell 3 million records during that same time you don't think Kendrick could do the same? Assuming he came out with Dre, Snoop, Kurupt and Pac all cosigning him during that time with an album as good as GKMC he would have sold way more records and been an even bigger star than he is today.
>
>As far as what a "real west coast show" would've been...it's
>like I said earlier we tried to stay in our lane. To be
>honest, I have no idea why so many subscribers and cats who
>watch the show wanted US to do a west coast show. Follow me on
>twitter and you'll see how many folk get at me like "when
>ya'll doing a west coast show?" Surprises the hell outta me so
>we tried to do it justice by talking about what we knew. And
>to be honest I've heard from all of the MC's you named (Blu,
>Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt) and outside of Blu I'm not
>really feeling them. Gave that Vince Staples EP he dropped a
>nice run cause cats were going crazy over it and I don't see
>it. Like I said we can only talk about what we know but don't
>worry...we'll be staying in our lane more often then not. But
>either way, good looking out for checking the show and giving
>us your time. If you ever wanna sit in and school us on the
>real west coast culture there's always a seat for ya!

Oh I'm sure people were pushing for you to do a West Coast show and you probably get as many requests to talk about the South and the Midwest. I understand that. My point is just if you have a really narrow version of what is dope in Hip Hop and it's really centered towards one thing then it's really a disservice to those artists to speak on them when you have an inherent bias against them. I wouldn't want to see a show with a bunch of West Coast or South heads talking about East Coast Hip Hop if it were going to be a situation where they basically just pick the artists who sound most like what people in the West or South make. Biggie, Jigga, 50 Cent. And if someone said oh well I guess I gotta say RZA is the best producer not named Primo since all of dudes who actually like East Coast Hip Hop name him I think most East Coast fans would feel some kinda way too.

No disrespect intended on my part just giving you some honest feedback from an LA head who loves Large Professor and DJ Quik.

Kil
971 posts
Sun Mar-08-15 08:05 PM

18. "RE: Needed more perspective"
In response to Reply # 16

No doubt fam! I see what you're saying and no disrespect at all! We want honest feedback! That's why I said if you're ever down to rock with us let me know cause we wanted someone from the west on the show. We actually did a west coast show about a year ago and my man Andres (who's from San Diego) was on there but I didn't put 2 and 2 together to understand that dude is like 8 years younger then me so a lot of the cats he was naming wasn't who we knew. Trust, the last thing I would EVER wanna do is disrespect the west coast. I got WAAAAAAAAAY too much respect for what cats have done. To be honest, I thought we knew enough(obviously we don't lol) to pull the show off. There's absolutely NO WAY we could pull off a down south or midwest show but like I said if you're down to sit in to school us, we'd love to have you school us. Kil889@gmail.com

@Kil889

Luke Cage
3047 posts
Sun Mar-08-15 11:22 PM

19. "All Good"
In response to Reply # 18

>No doubt fam! I see what you're saying and no disrespect at
>all! We want honest feedback!

You guys come across as good dudes just talking about Hip Hop.

That's why I said if you're ever
>down to rock with us let me know cause we wanted someone from
>the west on the show. We actually did a west coast show about
>a year ago and my man Andres (who's from San Diego) was on
>there but I didn't put 2 and 2 together to understand that
>dude is like 8 years younger then me so a lot of the cats he
>was naming wasn't who we knew.

I actually saw that show and I almost commented on that episode. You definitely need a cat with a longer history in Hip Hop and I would say he or she really needs to be from the Bay or LA to give an appropriate accounting. His comments about Ice T just showed that.

Trust, the last thing I would
>EVER wanna do is disrespect the west coast. I got WAAAAAAAAAY
>too much respect for what cats have done. To be honest, I
>thought we knew enough(obviously we don't lol) to pull the
>show off. There's absolutely NO WAY we could pull off a down
>south or midwest show but like I said if you're down to sit in
>to school us, we'd love to have you school us.
>Kil889@gmail.com

I might have to take you guys up on that. Not just about West Coast Hip Hop but any subject in Hip Hop might be cool to chop it up with you brothers. Peace.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Fri Mar-06-15 04:41 PM

11. "great episode"
In response to Reply # 0

it was fascinating getting east coasters' perspective on things out here in the west. I think it was brian talking about discovering/researching too $hort...that was crazy to me cuz out here he was just HERE, basically, always on the radio (kmel, ksfm in sac), displays in the record stores, etc. I never had to actively look for anything too $hort cuz he was everywhere out here.

and y'all were cracking me up on the whole seeing Kendrick's SNL performance/seeing the NWA biopic trailer and THEN liking it. I understood what ev was talking about. beyond seeing a performance or whatever, sometimes just going thru a life experience personally can change your perspective on a song and make you appreciate it more, and hence, realize how powerful a song can be.

and here are my answers...

>favorite west coast album,

"eazy duz it". it had everything: comedy, crime shit, sex, live jams, radio hits, and it ended really...cryptic I guess.

>MC

ice cube is the best. matter of fact, I put him right behind rakim in GOAT discussions. his influence is unparalleled, at least up til kanye arrived.

>producer not named Dre

i'll go with madlib too. dude's eclectic catalogue makes up for the lack of (pop radio) exposure.

but quik..."quik is the name" and the 2nd ii none album RULED consecutive summers out here. really mad that the latter gets forgotten.

>slept on MC

aceyalone. and the entire FF, really. If they had a hit like pharaoh did with "simon says"...man.

>our fave west coast moments

hearing cube on "straight outta Compton" for the first time on my Walkman.

>the NWA trailer

yeah, the newest trailer blew my mind.

>who's got next on the MC tip out west

I think earl will pick the momentum back up and get to that top tier. dude is just way too talented, layered, and moody to be ignored.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Mon Mar-23-15 12:30 PM

20. "RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - The Best of The West Coast"
In response to Reply # 0

Too many dope west coast artists to name, but yeah.. Cosign Ice Cube being thee greatest..

except..i'm more in the "AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted" is the best camp.

Also, I'll just leave this article here re: East Coast bias in Hip-Hop..
http://clashtalk.kinja.com/how-the-east-coast-lost-their-rap-war-and-ruined-everyt-1693078942?rev=1427121102061

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Mar-24-15 01:16 PM

21. "i'd love a follow-up to this discussion after TPAB settles in"
In response to Reply # 0

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Lobby The Lesson topic #2922028 Previous topic | Next topic