Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2921750

Subject: "New music Tuesday no more. Friday to be announced as global release day ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New music Tuesday no more. Friday to be announced as global release day ..."

http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/friday-to-be-announced-as-global-release-day-sources/060970

The IFPI is on the verge of announcing Friday as the chosen global release day, Music Week understands.

The move would bring all territories in line with Australia and Germany, amongst others, but would mean big changes in other countries including the UK and the US.

Music Week sources have said that US retailer Target could even drop music from its stores altogether as a result of the costs incurred.

Those in favour of choosing Friday as the global release day hope to benefit from higher footfall in shops at the end of the week.

Although she would not confirm the chosen global release day, or exactly when an announcement would be made, IFPI CEO Frances Moore told Music Week, "The whole dynamic of the global release day consultation has been driven by one thing and one thing only - how best to serve the music consumer."

"We've had a long consultation involving retailers artists and record labels, and we have looked at a large amount of insight and research. The good news has been the widespread support we've seen around the world for global release day - no one has seriously questioned the concept, the only debate has been about the day. The artist organisations and many retailers and record companies internationally support Friday, and this is backed by consumer research in many countries.

"There are other voices who prefer other days, and that's not surprising. It would be very surprising if a project like this, involving over 50 national markets, didn't lead to some objections in some markets. However, there is no doubt we have had a long and thorough consultation with the stakeholders involved and we now intend to make an announcement as soon as possible."

Those 'other voices' include Beggars Group boss Martin Mills who, during a speech at an ERA conference in London today, suggested that discussions around a global release day have not included the independent community – describing consultations as a “charade”.

“I have concerns about the proposed global release day,” he said. “Whilst I acknowledge the needs of a digital world for co-ordination, it seems to me to be crazy to throw away one of the trading week’s two peaks, and the ability to re-stock and rectify errors before the week’s second peak.

“It astounds me that the major labels are not listening to their customers, their interface with their artists’ fans. I fear their consultation has been a charade, and the market leaders were always going to push this through. I fear this move will also lead to a market in which the mainstream dominates, and the niche, which can be tomorrow’s mainstream, is further marginalised. I fear it will further cement the dominance of the few – and that that is exactly what it is intended to do.”

The IFPI confirmed discussions about a global release day with a range of stakeholders across the music industry in August last year – with a Friday release day being proposed at the time.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
*sheds tear*
Feb 26th 2015
this actually impacts me directly
Feb 26th 2015
RE: this actually impacts me directly
Feb 26th 2015
      not really sure
Feb 26th 2015
does this mean the leak will be on tues or wed?
Feb 26th 2015
Or not at all?
Feb 26th 2015
      leaks don't come from the stores
Feb 26th 2015
It'll be weird, but as the guy who still buys CDs, I'll live with it
Feb 26th 2015
So it starts next week
Jul 02nd 2015
Ugh, Tuesday's now completely suck
Jul 02nd 2015
^^^
Jul 02nd 2015
Wait a day and get into comics bruh! n/m
Jul 02nd 2015
      that's what i did!
Jul 06th 2015
why was it ever Tuesday to begin with?
Jul 02nd 2015
It gave stores a little leeway on ordering
Jul 02nd 2015
so next week...does anyone know how this works?
Jul 02nd 2015
RE: so next week...does anyone know how this works?
Jul 02nd 2015
      Statik Selectah is coming out on the 7th...
Jul 06th 2015
           it's looks like a very few things came out today...
Jul 07th 2015
           I'm pretty sure it's coming out on the 10th. Just ordered it from Amazon
Jul 07th 2015
                I downloaded Statik's Lucky 7 on iTunes this morning
Jul 07th 2015

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "*sheds tear*"
In response to Reply # 0

Not that it matters but...

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5466 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:47 AM

2. "this actually impacts me directly"
In response to Reply # 0

working for Billboard
we might end up changing our weekly production schedule based on when charts data gets compiled going forward

part of me always liked the idea of new music tuesdays, but I'm realizing the reality is that even if I wind up buying an album when it drops, I always cop the leak because I have no patience, which happens wheneverthefuck it happens, so "new music tuesday" hasn't actually existed for me in quite a while.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 01:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: this actually impacts me directly"
In response to Reply # 2

Yea.. that should be pretty interesting huh?

Any sort of one day sales predictions and all that would happen on a Saturday? or Monday?

Would that chart update on mondays?

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

fontgangsta
5466 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 01:34 PM

5. "not really sure"
In response to Reply # 4

off the top i don't even know what day of the week the charts flip over currently

I just know we close our issues in the middle of each week for a street date that saturday (and a cover date of the following saturday)

which is a nice way to do it - id rather have our peaks of busy-ness in the middle of the week than either having to stay late on fridays or walking in to a shitshow on mondays. so really hoping we don't change up too much.

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 12:26 PM

3. "does this mean the leak will be on tues or wed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 02:22 PM

6. "Or not at all?"
In response to Reply # 3

Doesn't most store get their shipments of that new new on Thursdays?!? If so, you get it in and put it out on the very next day.

Now if that means that albums have to be delivered a week earlier than you are 100% right and things will leak over the weekend because they have to sit in a back room for a whole week.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

fontgangsta
5466 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 02:34 PM

8. "leaks don't come from the stores"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu Feb-26-15 02:35 PM by fontgangsta

they come from the pressing plant

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 02:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "It'll be weird, but as the guy who still buys CDs, I'll live with it"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

16580 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 08:51 AM

9. "So it starts next week"
In response to Reply # 0

I was looking at some of my pre-orders and realized that new release Friday kicks off next week. Let's see how this goes.

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 11:02 AM

10. "Ugh, Tuesday's now completely suck"
In response to Reply # 0

As someone who usually visits the record store once a week or two it won't matter much in the end, but I liked having something to look forward to middle of the work week.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 11:26 AM

12. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 10

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 12:16 PM

13. "Wait a day and get into comics bruh! n/m"
In response to Reply # 10

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Mon Jul-06-15 04:05 PM

17. "that's what i did!"
In response to Reply # 13

I'm lovin Wednesdays now. got my saver set up at my local comic spot and everything.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 11:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "why was it ever Tuesday to begin with?"
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

relic1203
Member since Sep 07th 2010
57 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 01:29 PM

14. "It gave stores a little leeway on ordering"
In response to Reply # 11

If you have a hot title that you under ordered, or one that just sold out faster than you expected, & you're getting requests for it, you can get an order in & restock before the weekend rush. Plus this is gonna mess up turnaround time or ordering, pressing, & shipping. Any kind of delay in any of those things could create a massive cluster, & if what I'm hearing right now is correct, what used to be a process that happened over the weekend is now being shortened, & it's being put right into the middle of the work week.

Long story short... It's a shitty move that's not going to prevent any of the problems they want it to, & is going to create more problems for stores.

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 01:58 PM

15. "so next week...does anyone know how this works?"
In response to Reply # 0

like, are some new albums gonna drop on the 7th and then, like, the ones that would have dropped on 14th drop on the 10th, or will nothing drop on the 7th and everything that would have drops on the 10th and we go from there?

16580 posts
Thu Jul-02-15 02:14 PM

16. "RE: so next week...does anyone know how this works?"
In response to Reply # 15

>like, are some new albums gonna drop on the 7th and then,
>like, the ones that would have dropped on 14th drop on the
>10th, or will nothing drop on the 7th and everything that
>would have drops on the 10th and we go from there?

From my understanding, all new releases will be coming out on the 10th. Nothing on the 7th.

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Mon Jul-06-15 10:31 PM

18. "Statik Selectah is coming out on the 7th..."
In response to Reply # 16

PROMO
Charter member
30966 posts
Tue Jul-07-15 10:08 AM

19. "it's looks like a very few things came out today..."
In response to Reply # 18

but definitely not the usual slew of releases, so they must drop on the 10th as was mentioned.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Tue Jul-07-15 12:31 PM

20. "I'm pretty sure it's coming out on the 10th. Just ordered it from Amazon"
In response to Reply # 18

Maybe that's the physical CD tho...

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Tue Jul-07-15 02:54 PM

21. "I downloaded Statik's Lucky 7 on iTunes this morning"
In response to Reply # 20

if it's dope..i'll grab the physical copy too...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2921750 Previous topic | Next topic