Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2921669

Subject: "hip hop production is stale" Previous topic | Next topic
organix
Member since Jul 10th 2002
855 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 02:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"hip hop production is stale"

sorry to troll. maybe i'm just jaded and old. but i don't hear too much progression in hip hop. granted i don't follow it religiously like i used to in the 90s, but what i do hear doesn't really impress me that often, especially from the legends.

drum and bass, on the other hand, constantly turns my head. granted, this is my musical passion: i follow, DJ, and promote events on the regular. any new podcast by a top DJ will be full of cutting edge sounds and dubplates. the sound is always interesting and evolving. what these guys are doing with drum sequencing (and new bass and synth sounds) is mind boggling.

maybe that's the nature of dance music, where there are little to no vocals, so there is more room to play with the sound. while in hip hop, the beat is just the backdrop to the story being told. nonetheless, the production doesn't seem to be going anywhere special, at least to these old ears.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: hip hop production is stale
Feb 25th 2015
will check them out
Feb 26th 2015
heres your problem right here
Feb 25th 2015
The legends are doing better by sticking to what they know.
Feb 25th 2015
a college buddy of mine is making a name for himself in dnb. and i agree...
Feb 26th 2015
I mean....in what lane? Commercially, maybe
Feb 26th 2015
i don't even think that's state and it's too subjective.
Feb 26th 2015
the progression debate...meh
Feb 26th 2015
RE: the progression debate...meh
Feb 26th 2015
It's not strange if viewed historically...
Feb 26th 2015
I actually think the production is growing and the rapping is stale
Feb 26th 2015

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 02:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: hip hop production is stale"
In response to Reply # 0

Do you listen to instrumental hip hop guys??

Mr Carmack
Kaytranada
Soulection folks
Flume

Even cats like Cashmere cat are doing some dope shit..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

organix
Member since Jul 10th 2002
855 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "will check them out"
In response to Reply # 1

and i do listen to soulection podcasts recently, but most of that stuff is instrumental - not necessarily hip hop.

-----------------------------
http://www.shenzhenphotos.com

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 02:28 PM

2. "heres your problem right here"
In response to Reply # 0

>but what i do hear doesn't really impress me that often, especially from the legends.

you can't look to the guys that set the trends to make new ones
you've got to check for the younger cats

Flying Lotus
Blockhead
Exile
Jake One
Illmind
Oddisee

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 03:03 PM

3. "The legends are doing better by sticking to what they know."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-25-15 03:04 PM by phemom

I don't want Primo to buy a Roland or Pete Rock getting some trap drums lol.

The new sounds are here right now. That list Double O posted is a great start, but the people that they re-post is where the real innovation is IMO

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35253 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 02:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "a college buddy of mine is making a name for himself in dnb. and i agree..."
In response to Reply # 0

Goes by Graphs. Om Unit has been putting his tunes in mixes for a while. I fell out of dnb for a few years in the late 00s but its grabbed my soul again.

Anyways i agree, at least in terms of what makes the radio. That Truffle Butter song has been bugging me ever since i first heard it and today i figured out why. Everything interesting about it was lifted cleanly from a really good Maya Jane Coles song.

I have no idea what mainstream hip hop would sound like without house/techno or even commercial EDM to point the way.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 04:37 AM

5. "I mean....in what lane? Commercially, maybe"
In response to Reply # 0

But in 2015 it's soooooo many rappers and so many sounds out there that continuously evolve, hard to say its stale, even if you don't enjoy it all.

The more Boom Bap hippity hop samples Rap is a bit stale, depending on the producer you're listening to, but I really think you'd have to listen to more varied artists. Who are you speaking about?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:30 AM

8. "i don't even think that's state and it's too subjective."
In response to Reply # 5

>The more Boom Bap hippity hop samples Rap is a bit stale,
>depending on the producer you're listening to, but I really
>think you'd have to listen to more varied artists. Who are you
>speaking about?

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:28 AM

7. "the progression debate...meh"
In response to Reply # 0

>sorry to troll. maybe i'm just jaded and old. but i don't
>hear too much progression in hip hop. granted i don't follow
>it religiously like i used to in the 90s, but what i do hear
>doesn't really impress me that often, especially from the
>legends.
>

This seemingly only happens in Hip-Hop, this incessant thirst for the "next" thing. This so-called chase for innovation is weird.

Anyway, the list Double O put up is a great start. I have a much longer response for this post but I'm in the middle of working on an article and I need to focus.

]

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 11:34 AM

9. "RE: the progression debate...meh"
In response to Reply # 7

Happens in Rock too no?

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 12:08 PM

10. "It's not strange if viewed historically..."
In response to Reply # 7

The development of Hip-Hop coincided with changes in technology with new drum-machines, samplers, different ways to react to sampling-laws etc. Already in the 90's, I remember a lot of people whining about how Hip-Hop wasn't "interesting" anymore musically and instead focused on stuff like trip-hop, drum&bass and various forms of electronica.

Actually, I have no proof of this but I suspect that the people with the most complaints are older guys who can remember when not only production- but also rhyming-styles/trends changed fast; younger people who take the various brands of Hip-Hop for granted and grew up when the style was already "pop" and an established form of music probably have less complaints, at least it's true in my experience...

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 12:31 PM

11. "I actually think the production is growing and the rapping is stale"
In response to Reply # 0

Funny how we got the opposite.

~Experience is the currency of the soul.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2921669 Previous topic | Next topic