Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2921648

Subject: "help me navigate bebop. " Previous topic | Next topic
Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 11:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"help me navigate bebop. "

I went back and started listening to bebop,
and I couldn't tell if I liked it or was fooling myself
into liking it.

I mean, it was cool hearing the runs and the off
kilter rhythm sections, but... and I know this
must have been obvious to everyone but me...

Jazz doesn't resolve.

Pop is the opposite of that.
Pop songs are geared towards reslolving.
Good pop doesn't reslove exactly how you'd expect it to...
but your ear can subconsciously predict where it goes.

All this time I thought folks listening to charlie parker
had a jazz ear that could predict his choices and
sense where he was going with his solos.

And maybe they can to a degree.

But the appeal of bebob to me s least is that you CAN'T
predict the solos, and it doesn't resolve, yet something makes you listen. It can't be all peer pressure.
Charlie parker solos make me want to listen to them.

But I still couldn't identify a wrong note.
Not even if you put a gun to my head.
Maybe that's the point. Maybe there ain't no wrong notes, not really.

Which brings me to miles in the 70s.

These songs resolve even less. You can't play it on piano.
You certainly can't hum it. (Or at least I can't.)

And I can see how some would say that's a cop out...
But what makes it any less indecipherable than bebop?
There's just SOMETHING there. the challenge is to find what that something is.

When ppl say miles sold out, I think that's unfair.
He wanted to be modern.

George clinton said once that your music has to hit the frequencies kids listen to. You can play how you want, but if uou don't put your work in the context of sounds that somewhat resemble what kids like, ppl won't dig it.

So if miles didn't want to stay still... he HAD to
addresss the fact that rock sounds were a thing. He also had to address funk.

So his 70s albums have traces of those sounds, even though it it could be confused for rock or funk.

I mean, I still can't tell if he's ever playing a wrong note...but it's intriguing music.

Even an album like tutu gets me.
It's taking sounds from the 80s,
and playing his trumpet in that context.

Is it good?

Maybe nobody will ever know for sure. I'm starting to think it doesn't matter.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE:
Feb 25th 2015
Maybe Duke Ellington said it best...
Feb 25th 2015
lol I prefer Sun-Ra to Miles as well, same kind of reason, yet I
Feb 27th 2015
What do you mean "doesn't resolve?"
Feb 26th 2015
i mean the part your ear is waiting to get to.
Feb 26th 2015
      Generally more useful to think in terms of types of resolution.
Feb 26th 2015
           that's really helpful.
Feb 26th 2015
                That said, I can't hum a Bird solo either.
Feb 26th 2015
                     nah, Hard Bop was more ''populist''...
Feb 26th 2015
                          That's true. Couldn't be any less, surely.
Feb 26th 2015
Charlie Parker's Music...
Feb 26th 2015
keep struggling at how to approach this so i'm just gon ramble
Feb 26th 2015
bebop has a rep as all brain and not danceable but
Feb 27th 2015
^^ edited above post to address the topic of navigating it early on
Feb 27th 2015
I'd say Dizzy was more ''out'' than Charlie tonally...
Feb 27th 2015
      No, I completely agree
Feb 27th 2015
I COMPLETELY agree with that George Clinton perspective btw
Feb 27th 2015
I think I'll make a mix of what I think might be accessible bop.
Feb 27th 2015

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 10:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-25-15 10:02 PM by obsidianchrysalis

With bebop, there aren't really any 'wrong notes' and so the only way to determine if a song is 'bad' is if the song is able to keep some thematic sense and doesn't devolve into a couple of saxes, a drummer and a pianist playing solos. The 'music' is the reaction you get, not so much the notes being played.

As far as I know, it helps knowing jazz standards to better appreciate the virtuosity of the musicians. That being said, I haven't made time to listen to those standards.

In the case of 'My Favorite Things', Coltrane was able to take something poetic and romantic and turn it into the feeling someone has when their head catches on fire. (side note: Is 'My Favorite Things' about heroin?)

In that case, bebop seems to have unintentionally birthed a style that hip-hop grew into 30 years later - recontexting older music.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Feb-25-15 10:11 PM

2. "Maybe Duke Ellington said it best..."
In response to Reply # 0

'If it ain't got that swing, it don't mean a thing...'

My dad is a big Miles fan and one day he mentioned, 'Bitches Brew'. I hadn't heard it and didn't until after I turned 21. I can only say that it was 'interesting' but it wasn't so that it was worth listening to again.

About four years ago, I tried again with Miles' 'In a Silent Way' and it was interesting, but I don't have any reason to listen to it again.

Mostly because it's more Art than music. The release comes from deconstructing the elements, rather than simply experiencing the timing of the horns or the keys.

Your point about Miles taking the spark of creativity that jazz musicians have and applying it to new or modern sounds is a valid one. I think when Miles heard Hendrix, he was driven to incorporate electric instruments. His GF/Wife at the time, Betty Davis, might have had something to Miles going into electric as well.

But that being said, I can relate more with Sun Ra, because there's an atmosphere to his music, or some way to relate, but with alot of Miles' stuff, I feel I need an interpreter because I just don't think there's anything to 'get' or at least that I can 'get' from his works.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 12:49 PM

15. "lol I prefer Sun-Ra to Miles as well, same kind of reason, yet I "
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Feb-27-15 01:01 PM by Jon

do genuinely enjoy a lot of Miles, Bitches Brew included. But Sun-Ra has that atmosphere and flavor, while a lot of Miles stuff feels a tad sterile and dry for me. Its not like Miles is strictly for the experts, but I think its easier to get bored quicker after the initial shallow pleasure if you don't have the expertise to unpack the theory. Similar experience as Steely Dan imo. If you really get what they're doing or if you are an audiophile who loves "perfect" mixing techniques, you can listen for Steely Dan for days, but if you're like me, you have a handful of Steely Dan songs you love and get next to nothing out of their albums.

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 08:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "What do you mean "doesn't resolve?""
In response to Reply # 0

All tonal music resolves, depending on your definition of "resolve."

Do you mean "the harmonic progression does not clearly establish a tonic, and end on it?"

Joe Corn Mo
15139 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 12:32 PM

4. "i mean the part your ear is waiting to get to. "
In response to Reply # 3

a hook.

Ex: billie jean...
tension builds when he's like

People always told me, be careful what you do...
don't go around breaking young girls hearts.

it builds more when he's like

but she came and stood beside me
I could smell her sweet perfume.

There is frantic tension when he goes

this happened much to soon...
she called me to her room.

the bass line drops for the hook
and you feel relief.
no more (or less) tension.

I essentially mean you can hum it
and there are spots you look forward to humming.

I couldn't hum a charlie parker solo unless I
practiced for a long time.

but I could hum a song like I just called to say I love you
after hearing it once.

I can hum the head of "night in tunisia,"
but that seems more rare.

I listened to a lot of charlie parker last night,
but if you put a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to
sing a run he did back to you.

I don't remember how they go.

>All tonal music resolves, depending on your definition of
>"resolve."
>
>Do you mean "the harmonic progression does not clearly
>establish a tonic, and end on it?"

Buck
16160 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 01:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Generally more useful to think in terms of types of resolution."
In response to Reply # 4

Without getting too theory-ish, you're hearing in Billie Jean etc., types of melodic and harmonic cadences that firmly establish a starting/ending spot. Strong cadences create a firm sense of resolution, while weaker cadences leave things (relatively) unresolved. Jazz styles often choose weaker, or less common cadences, both melodically and harmonically. Resolution is relative, in the modern context.

Joe Corn Mo
15139 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 02:22 PM

6. "that's really helpful. "
In response to Reply # 5

Buck
16160 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 02:41 PM

7. "That said, I can't hum a Bird solo either."
In response to Reply # 6

Or even understand what he's doing without looking at a chart, most of the time.

Bebop, and certainly hard bop, is a case of musicians starting to play much more for other musicians than for a general audience, at the cost of mainstream/commercial appeal.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 03:00 PM

8. "nah, Hard Bop was more ''populist''..."
In response to Reply # 7

Slower rhythms, less hectic and jerky/more "groovy", more pronounced blues- and gospel-influences etc.

Buck
16160 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 03:28 PM

9. "That's true. Couldn't be any less, surely."
In response to Reply # 8

DigiSoul
Member since May 04th 2011
108 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 07:47 PM

10. "Charlie Parker's Music..."
In response to Reply # 0

and bebop in general definitely does resolve. The genius of Bird's solos is in the way that they resolve. In pop music, we tend to look for cadences at the end of a chorus, maybe a tag ending or the ninth bar of a blues. In other words, tension is built up and resolved over a longer span of bars. In a bop solo, tensions can happen in the melodic structure and be resolved in a matter of a few notes.

Here's an example of a typical bop resolution: play the flat 5th interval of a chord, skip forward to the 6th and then step backwards to the perfect 5th. Here, the dissonance comes courtesy of the flat 5th which is then resolved by ending the phrase on the more consonant perfect 5th.

It's the constant cycle of introducing non-chord tones in a melody and then resolving them on chord tones that makes up a lot of what you hear in a bop solo.

I hope this helps some.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Feb-26-15 08:34 PM

11. "keep struggling at how to approach this so i'm just gon ramble"
In response to Reply # 0

the fundamental of jazz is the head. it's not the melody. it's not the rhythm. it's the head.

the head is a phrase or a series of phrases. take so what and break it up into its phrases. note when there's a new phrase or when a phrase has just been transposed. note which phrases are takes on previous phrases. now when you listen to those solos try to identify those phrases or elements of them. there can be a rhythmic component to the phrase. a melodic component. a harmonic component. a modal component. and all of those things can get echoed back throught the song.

the players weave in and out of the head providing space for everyone to be able to play with the heads. playing with the head happens in various ways. cutting the phrase, drawing it out, transposing it, inverting it, taking it through intervals to arrive at another head and then back.

Jazz is all about making connections to the head, figuratively and literally. the player is constantly trying to improve upon his ability to take any head to new places and then bring it back home again.

that's the resolution, not necessarily in the traditional sense where a chord progression resolves itself, but where the head is called, expand upon and resolved back into itself.

free jazz incidentally is allowing the head to be born in the moment and giving it the authority to transform itself so that it never has to resolve (though it can as well). free jazz frees the player from the head by allowing the head to be free as well.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 11:57 AM

12. "bebop has a rep as all brain and not danceable but"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-27-15 12:19 PM by Jon

Every time I dive into my fairly large Dizzy collection, I want to move. Yeah I'm definitely cerebrally stimulated, but I'm also emotionally stirred and my body gets into it. Sure, it might not lend itself to a particular easily established set of dance steps, but I always found it ironic that Dizzy was simultaneously criticized for co-founding an "undanceable" jazz while also being shorted for being too much of a dancer for serious jazz heads lol.

I know very very very little theory, I'm familiar with a wide range of jazz, and Dizzy Gillespie is my favorite jazz artist period. Bebop or otherwise.

Bebop is cerebral but its not like only theory experts can enjoy it. Its also packed with flavor, at least when it comes to Diz or Sandoval. Charlie Parker might be a bit more "strictly for the sport". I still truthfully find his music more "impressive" than rewarding, tho I'm sure plenty Bird afficianados would object. To me, Diz represents the perfect marriage of Brain & Booty.

For a bebop novice, Dizzy might be the better starting point (over Bird) from which an appreciation of Bird and bebop in general can spring. That's not because Dizzy is less sophisticated (I'm sure ppl would debate both sides of that), but if you're like me you can have more immediate dose of pleasure while organically growing a deeper familiarity with the mechanisms of bebop. I don't have the theory vocab to talk about it the way others in here do, but I'm pretty sure my ear&mind is noticing and picking up on many of the same principles they describe and that comes with familiarity, which comes from really enjoying it enough to listen a lot.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 12:18 PM

13. "^^ edited above post to address the topic of navigating it early on"
In response to Reply # 12

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 04:18 PM

17. "I'd say Dizzy was more ''out'' than Charlie tonally..."
In response to Reply # 12

I think Charlie was more stringently blues-based; granted, he played the blues-scale in keys that were "wrong yet right" harmonically and thus sounds quite wacky at times but the point is that his melodicism was very blues-based.

Dizzy on the other hand was very blues-based too but I think he put in more "off"-notes and chromaticism and non-scale passing-tones in his solos so it was like expanded blues just like Charlie but a bit different in approach, like maybe Dizzy was more in tune with the expected tonality but put a lot of "off-notes" and chromaticism in there whereas Charlie was more "out" harmonically but more "in" melodically if that makes sense.

Then again, it could be because of the relatively more inprecise pitch of the trumpet compared with the sax that make me feel this way; the trumpet is of course a very "out" instrument in terms of pitch...

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 04:30 PM

18. "No, I completely agree"
In response to Reply # 17

In that way and in other ways, you could say Diz took greater risks or whatever (they both took risks)

Yet, I FEEL all that stuff (dissonance and all) in a way that I don't (yet) FEEL it with Bird. And by "feel" I dot mean its more bluesy or whatever, I just mean I feel it in my bones.

Bird is like a supercomputer generating the most intricate mathematically precise shit you can imagine (Eminem), while Diz is arguably just as intricate and precise, but in a way that can't be graphed by a computer, breaking more rules and touching more of those human nerves (Pharoahe Monch)

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 12:38 PM

14. "I COMPLETELY agree with that George Clinton perspective btw"
In response to Reply # 0

You can do all kinds of complex amazing stuff in music (and art) but if it doesn't have the kid-appeal in its core somewhere, it becomes a mere science project. That's not to say that the final product has to be something a kids love, but the kid in people should at least be addressed.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Feb-27-15 01:10 PM

16. "I think I'll make a mix of what I think might be accessible bop."
In response to Reply # 0

It will probably be dominated by Dizzy. But if I do, I'll share.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2921648 Previous topic | Next topic