Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2920833

Subject: "what is the soundtrack of your adult life and what was the one" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Feb-17-15 01:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what is the soundtrack of your adult life and what was the one"

of your childhood?

and are they still the same and how did it come to that for you and why?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Do you mean most listened to or songs that describe these life stages?
Feb 17th 2015
it could be that
Feb 17th 2015
The Soundtrack for my life is Sign of the Times.
Feb 17th 2015
Gang Starr raised me
Feb 17th 2015
nice post.
Feb 22nd 2015
Leave It All Behind by Foreign Exchange...
Feb 18th 2015
Great one!
Feb 18th 2015
what part of adulthood?
Feb 18th 2015
any stage you want
Feb 19th 2015
The Miseducation of LH for my childhood
Feb 21st 2015
Wow!
Feb 22nd 2015
      Its really impossible to pick a fav...
Feb 23rd 2015
RE: what is the soundtrack of your adult life and what was the one
Feb 22nd 2015
Feb 22nd 2015
1999 & Velvet Rope
Feb 23rd 2015
Feb 24th 2015

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Tue Feb-17-15 04:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Do you mean most listened to or songs that describe these life stages?"
In response to Reply # 0

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue Feb-17-15 01:17 PM

2. "it could be that"
In response to Reply # 1

or it could be a whole album. depends on your own personal feelings and where things come down.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Tue Feb-17-15 01:56 PM

3. "The Soundtrack for my life is Sign of the Times. "
In response to Reply # 0

Man there isn't a mood or state of life that I am in that can't find a song to express it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Tue Feb-17-15 02:56 PM

4. "Gang Starr raised me"
In response to Reply # 0

No More Mr. Nice Guy: I was in 8th grade and saw the Positivity video on Yo! got my cousin to cop me the tape immediately. Rap City with the mayor Chris Thomas also had it along with Jazz Thing. Somehow randomly I found a syndicated radio show that came on at 11 pm on Saturdays with Greg Mack.

Step: 10th grade. Everyone was dressing like the Just To Get a Rep video: airbrushed overalls with one strap down, starter hats and jackets, BKs and Ewing sneakers, and walkmans. Dudes were getting jumped for starter jackets and Jordans. Looking back, it's crazy how our whole world revolved around brands and beats.

I remember this cat from another crew that we didn't really get along with showed up one day with a Triple F.A.T. Goose jacket and shut the cafeteria down. We had to give him props.

Daily Op: going into my junior year, Ex Girl to the Next was on constant rotation cuz that's how I was living. I was going to house parties as well and Soliloquy of Chaos reflected the fights (started buck whylin tryin to snatch kid's jewels). I had done a bit of reading so Conspiracy was one of my favorites.

Hard to Earn: Senior year, along with the other 100 classics that dropped in 94. I was in the golden age and didn't even know it, just took it for granted that dope records were dropping every other day it seemed. Taping the college radio shows, trading mixtapes, trading the source, rap pages, rap sheet, getting into graf, ciphers in the cafeteria and after school...best year ever in hip hop.

Moment of Truth: By now the hip hop scene in MIA had blown up, no longer an underground thing. Khaled was playing dirty versions on pirate radio in the daytime (he's a clown now, but back then he played dope shit). DJ Craze was winning DMC titles, the city was drenched in graffiti, and I had started a local mag.

When I heard Above the Clouds for the first time, everything stopped. I had never seen Gang Starr live, not only was I a shorty but before the Hoodstock and how can I be down conventions hardly anyone came down to perform. But I saw and interviewed Guru at club Boca before a show, shit was out of control. He was drunk, mad at the media for being misquoted in some article, and answering my questions all belligerent. I was just geeked to be backstage with a tape recorder in his face. RIP to a legend, a true MC.

connectpoliticditto
Member since Aug 29th 2006
2739 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:56 AM

10. "nice post."
In response to Reply # 4

wisdom31
Charter member
1695 posts
Wed Feb-18-15 08:52 PM

5. "Leave It All Behind by Foreign Exchange..."
In response to Reply # 0

That classic album just struck a nerve with me as an adult...it touches on many different emotions and chords...I can't really pinpoint an album that was a childhood soundtrack...perhaps Songs In The Key Of Life by Stevie Wonder since I'm one of the OKP ol' heads here lol!

"Po' folk need help they call it welfare, but rich folk need it then y'all call it a bailout..."
-----Phonte ("The Best Of Times")

TWITTER: @WisdomSince70
FACEBOOK: Wisdom1970
WISDOM SEEKER Blog: http://wisdom40.blogspot.com
SOUNDCLOUD: http://soundcloud.com/wisdomsince70

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Feb-18-15 09:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Great one!"
In response to Reply # 5

In fact both their first two albums had a heavy influence on my young adulthood. What fantastic work they've done. Phonte is a special artist.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Feb-18-15 09:08 PM

6. "what part of adulthood?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Feb-19-15 02:35 AM

8. "any stage you want"
In response to Reply # 6

20's,30's, 40's and over

OrangeMoon
Member since Feb 01st 2005
3284 posts
Sat Feb-21-15 10:48 PM

9. "The Miseducation of LH for my childhood"
In response to Reply # 0

I was 16 when it came out.

Quality got me through college.

And BE is what I currently bump everyday and have since 05'.

~"You are your own best thing" (c) Paul D in BELOVED

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 01:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Wow!"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun Feb-22-15 01:27 PM by Brew

>And BE is what I currently bump everyday and have since 05'.

I love that album. It stayed in rotation for probably 3 or 4 years but I beat it to death so bad I rarely go back to it anymore. I can recite the entire thing without even hearing it.

Anyway that's wild you still listen to it daily. What's your favorite track? The "Intro" is easily my favorite but you can make a case for really every song on that joint. Such a perfectly constructed, concise album.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

OrangeMoon
Member since Feb 01st 2005
3284 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 09:04 AM

14. "Its really impossible to pick a fav..."
In response to Reply # 12

I have to listen to it like one continuous song...that said the one song I often skip is Testify.

I know folks adore it but it just messes up the flow of the album to me.

Can't pick a fav I love every song except for that one.

~"You are your own best thing" (c) Paul D in BELOVED

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 09:59 AM

11. "RE: what is the soundtrack of your adult life and what was the one"
In response to Reply # 0

>of your childhood?
>
>and are they still the same and how did it come to that for
>you and why?

As a kid (10 and under):
- Thriller (I would listen to it OVER AND OVER with the album and the lyrics in front of me..it wouldn't be the last time).
- Prince (the one with the perm and no shirt with I wanna Be your Lover on it)
- Barry White (greatest hits, a few albums, lots of Barry)
- Adult Contemporary radio, so I knew all of the basic R&B stuff. I remember Send For Me the most..that was my Monte Carlo floating on the road on Sunday nights riding shotgun with my pops shit right there. I would catch a cool as hell feeling off of that song. That and all of the Maze songs that got played: Happy Feelings, Golden Time of Day, etc.

As an adult, it changed quite a bit, but it took a bit to get there...at least a few other phases between the above and now I'll come back later for that though...

Jimaveli

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Sun Feb-22-15 11:48 PM

13. "RE: what is the soundtrack of your adult life and what was the one"
In response to Reply # 0

adult: the foreign exchange "authencity" and d'angelo's "voodoo"

teenage years two albums: de la soul "3 feet and rising" and bad brains self titled

and as a youngster growing up in a single moms home: anita baker's "raptured"

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 05:31 PM

15. "1999 & Velvet Rope"
In response to Reply # 0

Prince's 1999 album was right at the end of an era for me. Sums up a lot about that time period, getting out of high school and all.. R&B still king right at the dawn of hip hop.

Janet's VR because Janet not only is my wife's favorite artist but she passed that along to my daughters so pretty much the whole family dug this album. Reminds me of vacation drives down to Disneyland and stuff like that. Good times

astroman71
Member since Oct 16th 2003
1094 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 03:30 PM

16. "RE: what is the soundtrack of your adult life and what was the one"
In response to Reply # 0

As a kid it was "Songs in the Key of Life" and later "Stevie Wonder's Original Musicquarium".

"Songs" was the first album (8-track!) that I actually remember listening to and being aware of. Not a bad way of being introduced to this music thing.

Later, "Musicquarium' stayed on constant rotation in the house and in the car. It took me years to deprogram myself from the greatest hits sequencing of those songs.

As an adult, "Sign of the Times" was the first album I heard that I conscious new was some next level brilliance. At that point, I was hooked as a "serious" music fan.

And the first Soul II Soul album left a huge imprint as well. I don't know if it was seeing another vibrant black culture making space for itself in a non-black country, the beats, the clothes, Caron Wheeler or what but the general vibe of the album has been something I've always tried to replicate in my life.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2920833 Previous topic | Next topic