Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2920215

Subject: "f%ck 'ye + bey, where's prince's aoty grammy?" Previous topic | Next topic
bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 11:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"f%ck 'ye + bey, where's prince's aoty grammy?"

88 grammys was a travesty, u2 beats out whitney debut, mj's bad & sign o the times
purple rain lost to lionel's vanilla ass 'can't slow down'
i felt like grammys could've gave him a make up award for 'diamonds & pearls' but NOPE
no way parade or atwid get a nomn
BUT NO NOM for 1999!!!
i think he lowkey still hot which was why his swag was on a 1000, especially since they keep asking him back

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
MJ got robbed for Off the wall, Bad,Dangeorus and History
Feb 10th 2015
RE: MJ got robbed for Off the wall, wasn't even nominated
Feb 11th 2015
the powers that Be told MJ that Off the wall was too Black
Feb 11th 2015
      RE: Bad/SOTT got shut out in '88
Feb 11th 2015
           thirty years later niggas still want they validation n/m
Feb 11th 2015
I Agree
Feb 11th 2015
      ?
Feb 11th 2015
      in the neighborhood we always knew who had the "IT" album
Feb 11th 2015
the Grammys are almost ALWAYS late if they don't miss recognizing artist...
Feb 11th 2015
you mean like steely dan winning for two against nature
Feb 11th 2015
SOTT should've won.
Feb 11th 2015
its subjective anyway and lets be real
Feb 11th 2015
U2 didn't beat Whitney's debut...
Feb 11th 2015

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 11:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "MJ got robbed for Off the wall, Bad,Dangeorus and History"
In response to Reply # 0

Marvin Gaye got robbed half his career

R.Kelly got robbed off 12 play, self title album,chcolate factory and love letter

Rick James got Robbed off come and get it and street songs

Barry White got robbed there

as did countless other acts.

when it comes to Black artists at the Grammys the balance ain't never been fair period.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

bucknchange
3590 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 12:54 AM

2. "RE: MJ got robbed for Off the wall, wasn't even nominated"
In response to Reply # 1

shit is atrocious

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 01:22 AM

3. "the powers that Be told MJ that Off the wall was too Black"
In response to Reply # 2

and you wonder how angry he was when he went on to make thriller? and not to mention the fact the grammys purposely don't show grammys being handed out in rap and R&B categorys or back in 89 they didn't even have the category period.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

bucknchange
3590 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 01:31 AM

4. "RE: Bad/SOTT got shut out in '88"
In response to Reply # 3

mj gets shut out but they give him 10min to perform because they know he would get ratings
again, prince NEVER even got an aoty

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 01:38 AM

5. "thirty years later niggas still want they validation n/m"
In response to Reply # 4

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 01:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I Agree"
In response to Reply # 1

I can't say that black artists don't get awards cause they do but it's never that albums that should've won it's usually the album that was good or sold a lot but not as dynamic as these other 3 to 20 albums but I think that's the problem with the r&b & rap category, so many dope albums come out each year that it's never just one that should outright win.

I just wish the Grammys get rid of the idea that an album has to sell 300,000 (aka ghetto gold) to be nominated/win, even though it's has happen before where an album has sold less than 60,000 & won but I think that's cause of the category & who the artist that won cause of their musical history not cause the actual album merits' (and that's a rare case).

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 11:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "?"
In response to Reply # 6

>I just wish the Grammys get rid of the idea that an album has
>to sell 300,000 (aka ghetto gold) to be nominated/win,

this isn't a thing. it's not at all true. you may be confusing the Grammy Award w/the American Music Award or the Billboard Award. nominations for the latter awards are based in part on sales info. Grammy nominations are not based on sales info.

fuck you.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 01:21 PM

11. "in the neighborhood we always knew who had the "IT" album"
In response to Reply # 6

the grammys though are about that conversative safe mindset and they play ball that way and always have.

to me Thriller was the first album that made the grammys have to adapt and get hip. however what they do with rap is play it safe look at how many awards Eminem has. i mean they pick what they want period.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 10:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "the Grammys are almost ALWAYS late if they don't miss recognizing artist..."
In response to Reply # 0

which is why The Roots winning the one they did was a shock. they got them at a high point.

I mean, Beck should have won for Sea Change, not this new album IMO

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 01:24 PM

12. "you mean like steely dan winning for two against nature"
In response to Reply # 7

and eminem doing his own Kayne look at them like who are they? that was the pre twitter moment back in the day remember?

the roots winning wasn't shocking because they aren't a threat.

now if X clan had have won then that would have been something or Kam or somebody.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 11:27 AM

8. "SOTT should've won."
In response to Reply # 0

but U2 winning for Joshua Tree isn't that much of a travesty. it is a great album and was well-received by critics and consumers.

Whitney's or MJ's albums winning over SOTT would've been a huge travesty.

fuck you.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 01:18 PM

10. "its subjective anyway and lets be real"
In response to Reply # 8

MJ, Prince,Whitney had albums with multi hit songs.

truth is out of all of them MJ got robbed the most because he had all of those number 1 songs and yet the grammys who are very conservative had to bow down to MJ with thriller because it was too big and it was the most happening album period and while Bad didn't move me as much as thriller he was gonna pay a price behind forcing the hand.

they shut him out that night and still stole the show with his performance on stage. however they made an example out of him.

i would have picked SOTT over U2 however its all subjective and U2 had finally had a peak album and project.

truth is Whitney benefited the most out of it because she only got better as a few years later " will always love you" took her to a whole new level period.

these things are a trip in hindsight

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 02:56 PM

13. "U2 didn't beat Whitney's debut..."
In response to Reply # 0

They beat her second album "Whitney" (=the one with "I wanna dance with somebody, NOT the one with "How will I know" and all the other hits you still hear).

While I hate U2 with a passion, "Joshua Tree" beating "Whitney" isn't exactly a robbery by most "objective" (=objectively subjective, LOL!) standards...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2920215 Previous topic | Next topic