Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2919700

Subject: "Snoop Dogg who been cool with all his musical choices?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 12:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Snoop Dogg who been cool with all his musical choices?"

i mean obviously Snoop made it the level of that cool Uncle and he still drops projects.

thinking about a Cat who put Death row on the map and was the Free Agent Shaq/Lebron to Master P's no limit label and then later to Pharell's star trek label.

thinking about the various things he has tried musically and how his voice was instrumental for alot of projects.

how is his career to you in retrospect and what is his legacy on a whole?

because while his records faded he still has a spot for alot of folks.

and the cat done tried a whole lot of things.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Caricature of his former self n/m
Feb 06th 2015
I look forward to every project he puts out
Feb 06th 2015
It's both good and bad IMO
Feb 06th 2015
Blue Carpet Treatment was the last time I was on board
Feb 07th 2015
i have the chamce to see him as DJ Snoopadelic at Movement Detroit this ...
Feb 07th 2015
About half his work is hit or miss.
Feb 07th 2015
Dropped the greatest Rap album of all time and now he's simply a
Feb 09th 2015
the DamFunk collab was dope.
Feb 09th 2015
RE: the DamFunk collab was dope.
Feb 09th 2015
when he first came out on No Limit I had doubts
Feb 09th 2015
Yea I actually forgot about that first NL album...
Feb 09th 2015
Haven't checked for him in forever, but he's snuck some good songs
Feb 10th 2015
some artists I just don't care to hear a whole album from
Feb 10th 2015

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Caricature of his former self n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 06:27 PM

2. "I look forward to every project he puts out"
In response to Reply # 0

Except that Snoop Lion ish, which was a swing and a miss.

I listen to R&G pretty often, there are a lot of great tracks on it. Even Top Dogg & the one after on No Limit...really all of his 00s output had a lot of great stuff on it. Production-wise it has a soul that's lacking in most hip-hop (although IMO that sound is going to come back around with producers like Kaytranada doing hip-hop (and the Mark Ronson album) and R&G is going to sound ten years ahead of its time - by sounding 25 years before its time).

He fell off as a rapper so hard that people overlooked that he was putting out some really enjoyable music. 7 Days of Funk was also great. Looking forward to the new project.

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 06:45 PM

3. "It's both good and bad IMO"
In response to Reply # 0

The good part is that he can do prettry much anything and it won't matter to his staus. Fuck it-let's make a song about Marijuana with Willie Nelson and call it a deal-it all works because it's Snoop and he can do whatever he wants.

HOWEVER, what will happen when Snoop does a serious project, one he puts his heart and soul into? Could he even do that without people thinking "Oh, it's just another vanity project for Snoop"?

That's the question and also one he might ask himself; like, is he going to be a "clown" with a sprinkled Hip-Hop album everhy then andc now or someone who *once* (well, sionce the Chronic/Doggystyle) actually had an edge and who would try to bring it back...

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18640 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 09:16 AM

4. "Blue Carpet Treatment was the last time I was on board"
In response to Reply # 0

That's a very good run, 1992-2006.

He's pretty much a joke at this point, though.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35261 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "i have the chamce to see him as DJ Snoopadelic at Movement Detroit this ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Curious as to how thats gonna go

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Sat Feb-07-15 11:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "About half his work is hit or miss."
In response to Reply # 0

Another 40% is really good with some "meh" tracks. Then there's Doggystyle and Blue Carpet Treatment which, IMO, are both front to back excellent, with Doggystyle being the obvious "classic, untouchable" album in his catalogue.

So yea - last time I enjoyed a full Snoop album with no skip tracks were BCT. But he's still put out some damn good work since then. I thought there was a lot to like on Doggumentary. Ego Trippin' was half good half bad but the good tracks were fucking FIRE in some instances ("Press Play" and "Those Gurlz" being major standouts...no surprise Quik had his hands in both).

I thought 7 Days of Funk was really good and a cool novelty project.

Snoop Lion stuff was meh but I was actually pleasantly surprised by a couple tracks.

Like most of you have said (and I feel it's the overarching general consensus about Snoop) - at this point he's untouchable and does damn near what he pleases, he's reached that status. He still remains just about the coolest human alive, which is probably the lasting part of his legacy most will remember in the years to come. But yea - his work has been uneven but so much of it is so enjoyable I always find myself checking for his stuff. Snoop was my favorite as a kid (we're even gonna incorporate my youth obsession with him into my wedding later this year) so I have kind of a nostalgic attachment to him. Lyrically I think he's been a caricature for a long time but he still has his moments where he really shines.

And for the record, while he never really says anything, he's one of the only MCs who still truly spits freestyle off the top of his head at alarming speed and accuracy. Again, not saying a whole lot but at least he can do it. That's definitely a part of his legacy IMO, or at least should be.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Fishgrease
Member since Feb 13th 2006
34460 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 09:29 AM

7. "Dropped the greatest Rap album of all time and now he's simply a"
In response to Reply # 0

character.

---------------------------------------
blog: www.wonderfullyhorrible.blogspot.com
instagram: Fishgrease
twitter: wooly_caesar
Podcast www.soundcloud.com/circlegang

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 10:55 AM

8. "the DamFunk collab was dope."
In response to Reply # 0

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 06:25 PM

11. "RE: the DamFunk collab was dope."
In response to Reply # 8

yeah i that's a personal classic in my book

probably my most listened to project since it dropped

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 01:59 PM

9. "when he first came out on No Limit I had doubts"
In response to Reply # 0

but on that last album over there, when he reunited with Dre and started making the kind of music that was more his speed, it's been mostly good.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 02:20 PM

10. "Yea I actually forgot about that first NL album..."
In response to Reply # 9

because I threw it out my window after one listen. I tend to forget he ever made it. His next two on NL were really damn good tho.

But yea - The Game...is his only true TRASH album. Think there's like 1-2 good songs on there.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 09:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Haven't checked for him in forever, but he's snuck some good songs"
In response to Reply # 0

Through the years I'll forget he exists and then hear
some shit like "Oh shit! Dis Snoop?"

A good song is always a possibility for him, because
he can RAP

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Anonymous
Charter member
23229 posts
Tue Feb-10-15 10:37 AM

13. "some artists I just don't care to hear a whole album from"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-10-15 10:37 AM by Anonymous

Busta
Luda
Snoop

...he's in that category for me.

Shit...maybe those three should do a collabo album and then we'd only have to here one verse per song.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2919700 Previous topic | Next topic