Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2918465

Subject: "John Frusciante doin' some electronic - RS swipe and soundcloud link ins..." Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 02:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"John Frusciante doin' some electronic - RS swipe and soundcloud link ins..."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-frusciante-preps-experimental-electronic-lp-20150128

John Frusciante Preps 'Experimental' Electronic LP

Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist will release music under the name Trickfinger in April

By Ryan Reed | January 28, 2015

Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante is venturing into "experimental acid house" with a new self-titled LP under the moniker Trickfinger. The album, a continuation of his recent foray into electronica, will be released April 7th via Acid Test, Resident Advisor reports.

"I started being serious about following my dream to make electronic music, and to be my own engineer, five years ago," Frusciante said in a 2012 statement included with the new album. "For the 10 years prior to that, I had been playing guitar along with a wide range of different types of programmed synthesizer and sample-based music, emulating what I heard as best as I could. I found that the languages machines forced programmers to think in had caused them to discover a new musical vocabulary."

The sonic explorer said his fixation with acid house developed further in 2007, when he learned how to program commonly used instruments and hardware. "I had lost interest in traditional songwriting, and I was excited about finding new methods of creating music," he continues, noting that this new music de-emphasizes his rock skills. "I'd surround myself with machines, program one and then another and enjoy what was a fascinating process from beginning to end."

Frusciante has revealed the album's full track list and shared its hypnotic opener "After Below," which is available to stream below.
Following his 2009 departure from the Chili Peppers, Frusciante has remained prolific in a wide range of genres – from prog rock to synth-pop. He released Enclosure, his 12th solo album under his own name, in 2014 and has collaborated frequently with guitarist-producer Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, playing on several albums from the now-defunct Mars Volta and forming the supergroup Kimono Kult with Rodriguez-Lopez and Teri Gender Bender.

Trickfinger Tracklist:

1. "After Below"
2. "Before Above"
3. "Rainover"
4. "Sain"
5. "Exlam"
6. "85h"
7. "4:30"
8. "Phurip"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
In my Fav 5 Guitarist of all time, but...
Jan 28th 2015
I'm a huge fan
Jan 28th 2015
This has been a LONG time coming...
Jan 29th 2015
RE: This has been a LONG time coming...
Jan 29th 2015
      RE: This has been a LONG time coming...
Jan 29th 2015
           pretty sure that's it
Jan 29th 2015
decent tune. probably a good intro tune for his fanbase
Jan 29th 2015
I love the album he did with Black Knights
Jan 29th 2015
turns out this was kinda boring as far as acid house goes
Apr 23rd 2015

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 03:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "In my Fav 5 Guitarist of all time, but..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've lost track of all his projects. I gotta do a deep dive on John's work this weekend.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 04:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I'm a huge fan"
In response to Reply # 0

But I sure hope this is better than his last, oh, 3-4 albums.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 09:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "This has been a LONG time coming..."
In response to Reply # 0

... did Frusciante and Venetian Snares ever get round to releasing their collaboration project? They were supposed to be headlining a Weekender I was at a few years ago, but cancelled at the last minute when it turned out they'd spent the year getting fucked up rather than actually making any music.

He's certainly got good influences...

))<>((
forever.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 09:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: This has been a LONG time coming..."
In response to Reply # 3

>... did Frusciante and Venetian Snares ever get round to
>releasing their collaboration project?

Not that I've heard - and I usually keep up with what's reported on rollingstone.com and spin.com

Tiger verse Crane
Member since Jul 06th 2003
1071 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 04:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: This has been a LONG time coming..."
In response to Reply # 4

Do you mean something other than this? http://www.planet.mu/discography/TIMESIG002

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 05:10 PM

6. "pretty sure that's it"
In response to Reply # 5

decent record. not mind blowing or anything.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 08:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "decent tune. probably a good intro tune for his fanbase"
In response to Reply # 0

Judging by the comments, the 303 may be new to a lot of his fans

I hope he gives it more of a workout throughout the album

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Thu Jan-29-15 08:19 PM

8. "I love the album he did with Black Knights"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-29-15 08:21 PM by OKdamn

It has a dense basement flavor. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQLd1QWe7ig

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Thu Apr-23-15 04:31 PM

9. "turns out this was kinda boring as far as acid house goes"
In response to Reply # 0

But rockists will be wanking themselves over it

Especially those that arent familiar with the life story of the 303

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Lobby The Lesson topic #2918465 Previous topic | Next topic