Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2918371

Subject: "new Matana Roberts (stream)" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Jan-27-15 08:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"new Matana Roberts (stream)"

Coin Coin part 3, "River run thee":
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/19/matana-roberts-coin-coin-chapter-three-river-run-thee-exclusive-album-stream

Read a review or two that suggested the sound was really different (see: http://thequietus.com/articles/17094-complete-communion-jazz-reviews-3). I heard chapter 2 late and was just blown away (and I already loved chapter 1) ... can't wait to hear this, but can't decide whether to stream or wait for a hard copy...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
out today
Feb 03rd 2015
I still need to digest volume 1
Feb 03rd 2015
      yeah, chapter 1 is intense
Feb 03rd 2015
content wise it's a great followup
Feb 03rd 2015
listened once through
Feb 03rd 2015
      be sure you catch up
Feb 03rd 2015
           RE: be sure you catch up
Feb 05th 2015
pfork review
Feb 05th 2015
also...
Feb 05th 2015
She's awesome
Feb 06th 2015
what am i chopped meat?
Feb 06th 2015
Sorry?
Feb 06th 2015
ha
Feb 06th 2015
      I might not have heard about her at that point...
Feb 06th 2015
RE: She's awesome
Feb 06th 2015
      I wrote it...
Feb 06th 2015
      In all seriousness...
Feb 06th 2015
Did not like it as much...
Sep 16th 2016
OKP TODAY
Sep 16th 2016
RE: OKP TODAY
Sep 16th 2016
      Still a leftie doug...
Sep 16th 2016
Spunksluts...
Sep 16th 2016

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 09:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "out today"
In response to Reply # 0

About to give it a quick skim but probably won't have time for a full listen until later tonight... anyone check it out yet?

-thebigfunk

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 11:33 AM

2. "I still need to digest volume 1"
In response to Reply # 1

Got it years ago, listened once and was blown away, but it was kind of overwhelming and I've never revisited it.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 04:33 PM

4. "yeah, chapter 1 is intense"
In response to Reply # 2

I'd recommend revisiting it, though, and checking out ch. 2 while you're at it... can't describe why, but ch. 2 is a bit less heavy as far as the music itself goes

-thebigfunk

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 01:09 PM

3. "content wise it's a great followup"
In response to Reply # 0

definitely sounds different as there's no band on this one. even more to my ears it's produced rather than played. it still has her visceral feeling, but knowing that she's doing everything makes it impossible to believe it's all happening at the same time and it slightly cuts into the edge of it. but... that's just a comparison thing. on its own it's sounding great.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 04:36 PM

5. "listened once through"
In response to Reply # 3

>definitely sounds different as there's no band on this one.
>even more to my ears it's produced rather than played. it
>still has her visceral feeling, but knowing that she's doing
>everything makes it impossible to believe it's all happening
>at the same time and it slightly cuts into the edge of it.
>but... that's just a comparison thing. on its own it's
>sounding great.

Yeah, that's the biggest shift --- feels more like musical collage composition, and much more vocal-centric. Love the rhythmic layering of vocals. Thought I heard a few references to bits from the earlier records, eager to give a closer listen and track those down. Easily the most abstract of the lot so far.

Read she's doing twelve of these records --- unbelievable.

-thebigfunk

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Feb-03-15 04:55 PM

6. "be sure you catch up"
In response to Reply # 5

>Read she's doing twelve of these records --- unbelievable.

started as a live thing and there are more than a few early takes here:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Matana+Roberts%22

it's evolved through these releases though, so it'll be interesting to see where the all end up.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 10:36 AM

8. "RE: be sure you catch up"
In response to Reply # 6

>started as a live thing and there are more than a few early
>takes here:
>https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Matana+Roberts%22
>
>it's evolved through these releases though, so it'll be
>interesting to see where the all end up.

Did not know about those early sets - will check out asap, thanks for the heads up.

-thebigfunk

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 10:35 AM

7. "pfork review"
In response to Reply # 0

I actually find this review to be rather thoughtful:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20025-matana-roberts-coin-coin-chapter-three-river-run-thee/

Also, the review links to a tumblr Roberts is keeping while living in a houseboat for a while:
http://boatafloatbrooklyn.tumblr.com/

Looks like some good stuff there for those interested in the Coin Coin project.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Thu Feb-05-15 10:45 AM

9. "also..."
In response to Reply # 0

I find it interesting that several jazz-ish/instrumental artists have been flirting with ultra-long-form epics that specifically tackle aspects of black history. The Coin Coin project reminds me in some ways of Wadada Leo Smith's Ten Freedom Summers. Although they are very different in compositional approaches, both take up black history/histories as their inspiration and subjects.

Nothing new, of course --- this is terrain first tread by Ellington, Mingus, Roach, numerous others. It's part of the tapestry of jazz history. (One finds it, too, in the often overlooked work of black "classical" composers such as William Grant Still.) It's not the historical anchor that is interesting to me, but the long-form it inspires... and in Roberts and Smith we see that taken to an extreme.

I don't know if there's anything significant there or not, just some thoughts.

-thebigfunk

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 02:19 PM

10. "She's awesome"
In response to Reply # 0

Haven't heard this one yet, will check it out as soon as possible. Was surprised to see a thread on this in the Lesson BTW...

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 02:26 PM

11. "what am i chopped meat?"
In response to Reply # 10

>Was surprised to see a thread on this in the Lesson
>BTW...

pretty sure i posted about the previous two.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 02:29 PM

12. "Sorry?"
In response to Reply # 11

LOL!

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 02:53 PM

13. "ha"
In response to Reply # 11

>>Was surprised to see a thread on this in the Lesson
>>BTW...
>
>pretty sure i posted about the previous two.

Yup, I am pretty sure that's how I got put on, after you posted about the first one. (Don't think I saw your post about the second.)

-thebigfunk

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 06:15 PM

15. "I might not have heard about her at that point..."
In response to Reply # 13

However, I got on the train quite early and I find it quite unlikely since I actually follow the contemporary free-improvw scene. Whastwver4, I did a sear4ch and apparently she has ebeenb mentioned even if nothing implies theres been a thread, more likely based on the threads I've come up with, her name is more likely to be mentioned for socio-po0litical reasons when that isn't necessary; (actually, it is but it is sad state of affairs when the very *core* definition of a black fm musician is one that dance synchronied in a major label video; IO guess my sheer yuruppean whiteness kind of prtetends it's not necessary),

I just wonder why the hell. Eitherway, I guess this says more about me and the lack of my ability to take OKP recommendations seriously or just ignoring them all together because, honestly, that's never why I was here. I never really cared about the "recommendational" aspect of this place because I had my own channels for that (where I found out abhout Matana too of course),I don't know, maybe I should take this place more serously as not a writ44e44r 4bg44u44t a *reader* as well but that's kind of difficult since the ver4y frirst thing that appealed to me about this place was the *reader* aspect; unless you count my first two user-names, I've been here since I was attracted to the *reading*, it never had anything to do with me writing, most of my writing is just automatic anyway, just drivewl...

Anyway, sorry if I missed out on OKP recommendations on her but I was quite early on anyway due to r4eading the wire and following the contemporary imrpov scene at large...

All that matters is the music and I'm looking forward to hearing the new one...

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 02:54 PM

14. "RE: She's awesome"
In response to Reply # 10

>Haven't heard this one yet, will check it out as soon as
>possible. Was surprised to see a thread on this in the Lesson
>BTW...

Would like to hear you thoughts on it at some point, and on her past projects, too.

-thebigfunk

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 07:21 PM

16. "I wrote it..."
In response to Reply # 14
Fri Feb-06-15 07:30 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 07:28 PM

17. "In all seriousness..."
In response to Reply # 14

I will spend my time with this new album as I did with her two previous; I *expect* good music and I'm pretty sure I will be met with nothing less...

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 06:40 PM

18. "Did not like it as much..."
In response to Reply # 0

As dis DUDE, I don't dare saying to muc 'esides "Play de SAX"...LESS POETRY, less pantering to *dem* (=OKP!!!!)...

Anyway, good record-PEEP IT!!!

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 07:57 PM

19. "OKP TODAY"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-16-16 08:01 PM by Jakob Hellberg

...are strictly CUNTS!!!. I WANT YALL To ate dis shitE and as a DRUNKEN bonus, eat dick:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAsHFSrh0i8

cunts!!! hOES!!!i'M GONE-FINALLY!!!

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 08:30 PM

20. "RE: OKP TODAY"
In response to Reply # 19

TALENT=YNGWIE-E AS IT!!!!

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 08:32 PM

21. "Still a leftie doug..."
In response to Reply # 20
Fri Sep-16-16 08:58 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Still a nice guy-STILL REVOLUTIOM so don't ya'll fUcking dare again...

EDIT:USA, lulz--- IQ, rainz, ANYDING,,, sad site and I dig it even more I spell it "wrong"

EDIT GOAT nonsense; I don't understand a word... Enslavements is OK apparently...

Still a dude wo drunk wid dem..

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Sep-16-16 10:46 PM

22. "Spunksluts..."
In response to Reply # 0

...dis plejs, Lolz/lulz/(insert appropriate assolism)

Lobby The Lesson topic #2918371 Previous topic | Next topic