Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2916688

Subject: "Steely Dan Appreciation Page" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 01:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Steely Dan Appreciation Page"

one of my favorite musical acts ever. now i don't have the biggest vocabulary in the world however i do understand most of what they say.

love their musical gumbo and the humor and play on words.

what are your favorite SD songs or albums?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Steely Dan Appreciation Page
Jan 17th 2015
Probably Royal Scam or Katy Lied.
Jan 17th 2015
      Don't sleep on solo Fagen either.
Jan 17th 2015
      "can't buy a thrill" that low? thats a classic in my book
Jan 17th 2015
           it's half a classic
Jan 17th 2015
big fan
Jan 17th 2015
Well, I'm both a non-fan and a fan....
Jan 17th 2015
^^^^^*doesnt understand concept of an appreciation post
Jan 19th 2015
      Please...
Jan 19th 2015
           Yeah, you're not a rockist
Jan 19th 2015
           RE: Yeah, you're not a rockist
Jan 19th 2015
           RE: Please...
Jan 19th 2015
                Musically advanced? No
Jan 19th 2015
                     RE: Musically advanced? No
Jan 20th 2015
BTW, the Rosie Vela album...
Jan 17th 2015
Tonto, what A fooking jam (n/m)
Jan 17th 2015
Well, it's kinda funny.
Jan 19th 2015
Just got the new SACDs
Jan 20th 2015
Always Liked Steely Dan
Jan 20th 2015

m_zagnut
Member since Jul 23rd 2006
64 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Steely Dan Appreciation Page"
In response to Reply # 0

Started listening to them super late, like a few months ago late. Started with Aja and haven't been able to pick up anything else of theirs since I don't want to be let down after this personal classic. Where should I go from here?

I Got The News, Deacon Blues and Black Cow are the standouts to me on an outstanding album.

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 01:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Probably Royal Scam or Katy Lied."
In response to Reply # 1

>Where should I go from here?
>
>I Got The News, Deacon Blues and Black Cow are the standouts
>to me on an outstanding album.

Or, if you like the production of Aja, Gaucho has much the same feel.

I'd rank the albums, in terms of must-have-ness:

Aja
Katy Lied
Royal Scam
Countdown to Ecstasy
(tied) Pretzel Logic, Gaucho
Can't buy a Thrill
Two Against Nature
Everything Must Go

Two Against Nature could be higher, depending on my mood. The session playing and production is beautiful on that record.

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 02:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Don't sleep on solo Fagen either."
In response to Reply # 2

Kamakiriad and Nightfly are excellent.

Morph the Cat and Sunken Condos less so, but worthwhile.

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 04:34 PM

4. ""can't buy a thrill" that low? thats a classic in my book"
In response to Reply # 2

colonelk
Member since Dec 10th 2002
5058 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 06:10 PM

6. "it's half a classic"
In response to Reply # 4

Too many songs feel like filler.

--------

hell-below.com

colonelk
Member since Dec 10th 2002
5058 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 05:58 PM

5. "big fan"
In response to Reply # 0

One of those bands that is basically their own genre. Took me until my late 20s to really let go of the cultural associations and hear the music.

Aja is a classic for a reason. Probably their best combo of songwriting, great session work, studio craft.

I love Gaucho for most of the same reasons and don't get the "they finally went to far" rep this album has. People who love Aja and don't like Gaucho mystify me.

Of the earlier, more guitar-driven stuff I'd say Katy Lied. Bad Sneakers is a great song.

Aja
Gaucho
Katy Lied
Countdown to Ecstasy
Royal Scam
Pretzel Logic
Two Against Nature
Can't Buy a Thrill

Haven't listened to the most recent one enough to rank it.

--------

hell-below.com

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 06:15 PM

7. "Well, I'm both a non-fan and a fan...."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jan-17-15 06:18 PM by Jakob Hellberg

What I mean by t5hiis is that I hate absolutely everything Steely Dan *^represents* and yet, I'm quite a fan of the band. Personally, I think "Royal Scam" is the be4st album followed by AJA and "Pretzel logic".

Make no mistake though, none of that shit can compare with what Ramones, Television, Stooges, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Kiss, Alice Cooper etc. where doing in the same era but in the "rock music gone horrribly wrong"-category, they definitely beat Zappa, the Doobies, Fleetwood Macds, Totos or the Bostons/¤Reo Speedwagons/Foreigners (or ¤P¤ink F¤¤loyds for that matter) of the world because they were SMART and knew it and excelled at their smartness without trying to rock out-EXTREMELY intelligent act for numerous reasons...

EDIT: Not sure I've heard a single vintage Steely Dan tune that make me think "Oh, the4y are embarassing their art right now", no, a VE¤R¤Y "real" and "pure" act-I appreciate that shit...

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 01:00 AM

10. "^^^^^*doesnt understand concept of an appreciation post "
In response to Reply # 7

Caught up in typical rockist bias

dude

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 02:41 AM

11. "Please..."
In response to Reply # 10

I appreciate the hell out of Steely Dan-you can appreciate and still have reservations.

And *SMH* @ "rockist bias"; I mentioned fucking *Kiss*-is that a band "rockists" like? I may be RAWKIST but I sure as fuck ain't "rockist"-I swear people don't know what that term means...

And the very fact that I recommended an album by a photo-model without a voice who got a record-deal on the strength of being connected show you just how "rockist" I am. Is that something a rockist would do?

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 12:01 PM

12. "Yeah, you're not a rockist"
In response to Reply # 11

I would classify you more as a guy who wants a particular thing out of rock music, and gives a suspicious eye at bands that pretend to rock but don't actually rock. However, real rockists have different tastes than you in rock music, AND the thing that makes them rockists at all - that is, seeing all music through a prism of rock, and placing it on the highest tier of musical accomplishment - you do not have. You seem to definitely appreciate each genre as its own thing.

--

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 08:41 PM

14. "RE: Yeah, you're not a rockist"
In response to Reply # 12

>I would classify you more as a guy who wants a particular
>thing out of rock music, and gives a suspicious eye at bands
>that pretend to rock but don't actually rock. However, real
>rockists have different tastes than you in rock music, AND the
>thing that makes them rockists at all - that is, seeing all
>music through a prism of rock, and placing it on the highest
>tier of musical accomplishment - you do not have. You seem to
>definitely appreciate each genre as its own thing.

Yeah that's true

dude

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 09:28 PM

15. "RE: Please..."
In response to Reply # 11

>I appreciate the hell out of Steely Dan-you can appreciate
>and still have reservations.
>
>And *SMH* @ "rockist bias"; I mentioned fucking *Kiss*-is that
>a band "rockists" like? I may be RAWKIST but I sure as fuck
>ain't "rockist"-I swear people don't know what that term
>means...
>
>And the very fact that I recommended an album by a photo-model
>without a voice who got a record-deal on the strength of being
>connected show you just how "rockist" I am. Is that something
>a rockist would do?

Maybe not rockist in a technical definition but the same sort of attitude, steely dan doesn't compare to those groups you mentioned. Please. If YOU like them better that's cool I have respect for those groups. But none of them are more musically advanced or innovative or original than than Steely Dan

dude

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 10:15 PM

16. "Musically advanced? No"
In response to Reply # 15

However, innovative and original are terms that can not be removed from the context of the time and thus, I think Ramones were both more innovative and original; while their music may at least partially seem like a throwback to the more minimalist and primitive strains of garage-rock, the context of the mid-70's rock culture and what it sounded like give them an edge not to mention that their post-modern recontextualization of pre-british invasion melodicism in a punk-context adds yet another dimension.

Steely Dan had a lot of recontextualization going on in their music too but I for one think it's more impressive and, yes, original and innovative to pull that off in a minimalist, simplistic context than in an expansive, "prog-jazzy" fusion one where it is pretty much expected and par for the course...

I'd say that Television were more original than Steely Dan too. As for the rest-no, I'd agree that Steely Dan were more original if we just look at the music, "innovative" is kind of difficult to measure I think, I find that term a bit problematic, let's just say that "innovative" isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think about Steely Dan.

Also, music isn't just a sum of its parts and influences; its innovativeness is IMO better measured in terms of the type of aesthetic and "vibe" it manages to project and how fresh that one is. While Steely Dan delivered in that area, there was SO much rock in the early 70's that pulled off similar feats-everyone from pompous guys like Genesis or Queen to "lab-coat" rock like King Crimson to the various approaches the kraut-rock bands took; there's a LOT of advanced and original music in that era musically and/or lyrically and the relevant question is thus how much the aesthetic Steely Dan projected deviated from the "general" norm. Since being advanced, sophisticated, lyrically obtuse, clever etc. was very much the norm then even amongst platinum acts, I tend to think that bands who bypassed that and took a different approach were more innovative.

Does that mean that, say, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple, Slade or Grand Funk were more innovative than Steely Dan? Of course not but more "radical" exponents of an anti-sophisticated approach do stand out in that era to me; even AC/DC stand out to me (and no, I'm not saying they were more innovative since they were so firmly rooted in blues-rock/boogie which was already a huge cliche whereas Steely Dan were obviously "fresher" in that regard but there are *aspects* of their style like the single-minded minimalism in drumming, progressions, structure etc. I find quite unique in the context of the time)...

Anyway, the point of my post was more to shine a light on my *own* problems in dealing with and coming to terms with the Dan's aesthetic over the years compared with the type of rock from that era I grew up digging than going into some lame A>>>B shit which isn't really what I'm about unless I'm bored... I can see it getting interpreted as that because many in the Lesson and elsewhere love that type of shit. However, I think people should be able to deal with someone expressing his opinion without viewing it as an attack on their personal taste, even in the context of an appreciation-thread...

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Tue Jan-20-15 06:39 PM

17. "RE: Musically advanced? No"
In response to Reply # 16

Fair enough, I was probably being overly sensitive.

I agree.

dude

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 06:43 PM

8. "BTW, the Rosie Vela album..."
In response to Reply # 0

Any Steely Dan fan who hasn't heard that shit (=Zazu), well, Y'all are losing out. Sure, she cant sing for shit (could Donald?). If you wan't an 80's album after the "Nightfly" that keeps the vibe going, go for that one, ace!!! Magic smile:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaiZL51H6I

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Jan-17-15 07:35 PM

9. "Tonto, what A fooking jam (n/m)"
In response to Reply # 8

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Jan-19-15 02:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Well, it's kinda funny."
In response to Reply # 0

Favorite albums? I don't even think I have one. The whole '72-80 run had something I could rock with. And even the stuff after. I think AJA, of course, is their crowning achievement. What they really were aiming for from a compositional and engineering perspective (I've read the stories about KATY LIED and how Fagen/Becker were mad as hell about how the recording turned out).

While most would think that they were some sort of snarky jazz/fusion band (and that may not be far off the mark for the albums beginning with KATY LIED), I think that they could, when inspired, make some convincing and genuine '70s edgy pop/rock.

This you'll find on CAN'T BUY A THRILL, COUNTDOWN TO ECSTASY and especially in their early-mid '70s live shows when they were still touring. It's weird hearing someone -other- than Fagen singing on some of those early records (think it was David Palmer), but it works in small doses. "Show Biz Kids" with the casual use of "fuck" kind of caught me off guard the first time I heard it.

As for my favorite songs:

"Reelin Through The Years"
"Boston Rag"
"King Of The World"
"Bad Sneakers"
"Night By Night"
"Charlie Freak"
"Black Friday"
"Your Gold Teeth II"
"My Rival"
"The Caves of Altamira"
"Kid Charlemagne"
"Glamour Profession"
"Green Earrings"
"Home At Last" (PURDIE DOGG)
"Daddy Don't Live In That New York City No More"
"Peg"
"Bodhisattva" (Live Version, Jeff (Porcaro) Da God)
"I Got The News"
"The Royal Scam"
"The Fez"
"Aja" (GADD DOGG)
"Babylon Sisters" (PURDIE DOGG)

and I could go on.
This was the soundtrack to the late '90s for me. I was rocking Steely Dan heavily; in fact there's parts of I-77 in SC that I can't drive through without thinking about some of that music now.
I converted a few of my friends with songs like "Bodhisattva" and "The Caves of Altamira". One of them even pointed out the former was in a recent Rock Band game, LOL.

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Tue Jan-20-15 10:47 PM

18. "Just got the new SACDs"
In response to Reply # 0

Countdown to Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic, remastered last year straight to DSD.

Going to listen this weekend.

Reviews;
Countdown: http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/9784
Pretzel: http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/9871

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Jan-20-15 11:12 PM

19. "Always Liked Steely Dan "
In response to Reply # 0

...even before I knew who they were & started diggin' for vinyl, I use to hear "Do It Again" & "Reelin' In The Years" on the radio when I was young, and then to find out later on I had a copy of "Can't Buy A Thrill" on vinyl too.

Donald Fagen got a smooth voice and his solo stuff is dope too.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Lobby The Lesson topic #2916688 Previous topic | Next topic