Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2914851

Subject: "John Legend’s Get Lifted – Celebrating 10 Years" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 12:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"John Legend’s Get Lifted – Celebrating 10 Years"

Happy 10th Birthday to John Legend’s debut album Get Lifted, originally released December 28, 2004.

To the casual observer, John Legend emerged seemingly out of thin air in late 2004 with his debut album, taking the neo-soul and pop scenes by storm, both here in the US and internationally. To the more informed, however, the University of Pennsylvania grad had been honing his professional vocal chops for a handful of years prior, supporting the likes of urban music mainstays like Lauryn Hill, Alicia Keys, Jay-Z, Slum Village and Kanye West. The latter eventually signed Legend to his GOOD Music label and introduced him to the broader music world by releasing Get Lifted. Read more of this post

http://www.soulhead.com/2014/12/28/longplaylove-john-legends-get-lifted-celebrating-10-years-by-justin-chadwick/#more-27958

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I swore John Legend was bringing soul back to mainstream with his
Dec 31st 2014
It's funny how many ain't-shit songs are on there.
Dec 31st 2014
lol
Dec 31st 2014
I always loved the one two three punch of....
Dec 31st 2014
      Exactly.
Dec 31st 2014
my fave album of his ...
Dec 31st 2014
Legend when I used to like U
Dec 31st 2014
He signed to the right label, that's for sure
Jan 01st 2015

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 01:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I swore John Legend was bringing soul back to mainstream with his"
In response to Reply # 0

debut. "Ordinary People", "So High" and so forth gave me alotta hope.
Fast forward 10 yrs later, and he's imitating Adele. His latest album did have a couple
of joints on it though. "Hold On Longer" is one of my favorite songs of recent times.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 06:50 AM

2. "It's funny how many ain't-shit songs are on there."
In response to Reply # 0

Chicks were distracted by his looks, while he sang shit like "Used to Love U", "She Don't Have to Know", etc.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 09:07 AM

3. "lol"
In response to Reply # 2

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 02:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I always loved the one two three punch of...."
In response to Reply # 2

..."She Don't Have to Know," "Number One" and "I Can Change." Perfectly sequenced.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 03:08 PM

7. "Exactly."
In response to Reply # 6

And, all that is at the beginning of the disc, so it doesn't cloud the sentiment of songs like Ordinary People and It Don't Have to Change.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 09:50 AM

4. "my fave album of his ..."
In response to Reply # 0

... damn 10 years though? Some of the songs in retrospect aren't great but it reminds of a time period in my life when I hear certain songs off that album. The new one now does too for the past year.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Wed Dec-31-14 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Legend when I used to like U"
In response to Reply # 0

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Thu Jan-01-15 08:55 AM

8. "He signed to the right label, that's for sure"
In response to Reply # 0

considering the fact his music and ability were vastly overhyped and went off perception and pastiche more than his actual talent. A lot of that record is strictly functional and part of the reason why it never really moved me.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Lobby The Lesson topic #2914851 Previous topic | Next topic