Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2913534

Subject: "PJ Harvey's "To Bring You My Love" >> every 90's male rock LP" Previous topic | Next topic
John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 09:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"PJ Harvey's "To Bring You My Love" >> every 90's male rock LP"

Yup, it's great. better than your favorite 90's rock album. Be mad.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Her lack of props and recognition is disturbing to me
Dec 19th 2014
And speaking of Courtney Love, "Live Through This" is phenomenal
Dec 19th 2014
      It's a classic. People have been coming around tho...
Dec 19th 2014
      Nah...
Dec 19th 2014
      In the very name of rock'n'roll...
Dec 20th 2014
           If Tool didn't have tools as fan we would respect them more
Dec 20th 2014
                On the topic of Pantera...
Dec 20th 2014
                     LOL Nah, this is hilarious.
Dec 20th 2014
Agreed and I love 'Is This Desire?' Even More
Dec 19th 2014
My personal fav
Dec 19th 2014
Not even the best rock album of that year.
Dec 19th 2014
*BARF*!!!
Dec 19th 2014
lol, different strokes
Dec 19th 2014
      I used to like them but...
Dec 19th 2014
           RE: I used to like them but...
Dec 20th 2014
                That's the thing for me though...
Dec 20th 2014
Pulp were and are great.
Dec 20th 2014
Can I ride for Team Dresch in here?
Dec 19th 2014
oh fuck yes, does the long snake moan to this post:
Dec 20th 2014
CAAAAAAALLLL ME LAAAAAAAAAAZARUS
Dec 20th 2014
      ^^^Polly Jean Anticipating D'Angelo's Return
Dec 20th 2014
Duh
Dec 20th 2014
... not named Spiritualized, ladies and gentlemen we are floating
Dec 20th 2014
Love that album but I don't think it's best in class
Dec 20th 2014

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Her lack of props and recognition is disturbing to me"
In response to Reply # 0

>Yup, it's great. better than your favorite 90's rock album.
>Be mad.

Considering how many has beens from that era (Corgan, Manson) still get props while she still puts out critically acclaimed work even though its not my cup of tea(she got a little too white people folky for me on Let England Shake.

I don't want to compare female artists, but it always irks me how someone like Courtney Love seems to be the default representation of female rock of the 90's when she's had such a fucking spectacular run of albums even until this day.

Easily the best album run out of any major act in the 90's till now...she don't put out bad.

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "And speaking of Courtney Love, "Live Through This" is phenomenal"
In response to Reply # 1

and people dismis it by saying shit like "Kurt must have written it". But, yeah, Polly= GOAT.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "It's a classic. People have been coming around tho..."
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Dec-19-14 10:57 AM by BigReg

the current fad is the music blogosphere is to revist old albums at the 10 and 20 year anniversary mark to fill in content space and it's been a good place to see people re-review albums underrated without all the other bullshit.

http://thequietus.com/articles/15124-hole-live-through-this

http://www.elle.com/news/culture/hole-live-through-this-20th-anniversary

http://www.stereogum.com/1675044/live-through-this-turns-20/franchises/the-anniversary/

>and people dismis it by saying shit like "Kurt must have
>written it". But, yeah, Polly= GOAT.

I never really understood the critique because it was a logical continuation and just a more mature version (topic, musicianship, songwriting) version of their good debut album which...was written before they met.

Only people who get it worse then female rappers is rock chicks, lol.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 08:49 PM

6. "Nah..."
In response to Reply # 4
Fri Dec-19-14 08:56 PM by Jakob Hellberg

>I never really understood the critique because it was a
>logical continuation and just a more mature version (topic,
>musicianship, songwriting) version of their good debut album
>which...was written before they met.
>

The debut was MUCH more noise-rock and indebted to Sonic Youth and Big Black/Rapeman; only with a more narcissistic "Look at me!"-rock star persona taking the place of the more heads-down/no bullshit/"let the music, energy and vibe do the talking!" garage-rock/post-punk/-hardcore aesthetic. Suffice to say that I didn't like it even then. I'm not saying this to be "cool" or anything but I actually bought Hole's debut single "Retard Girl" at a record-fair in 1990 or so and even *there*, they rubbed me the wrong way...

"Live through this" was MUCH more streamlined soft/loud, faceless instrumentation etc. mainstream 90's alterna-rock; I heard that "some day, you won't ache like I ache"-tune on the radio at work yesterday and it manages to nail EVERYTHING I LOATHE about 90's alterna-rock except the Vedder-yarl in a neat package... Great job!

>Only people who get it worse then female rappers is rock
>chicks, lol.

At the same time, everyone from Courtney/Hole to Babes in toyland to all those horrendous Riot Grrl-bands like Bikini Kill and Huggy Bear seemed to get props for being "strong" and "independent" females in a male-dominating industry and yada-yada (insert cliche here); they sure as fuck benefitted from being female rockers; had they been male, there would have been nothing to talk about...

L7 managed to transcend this by just being a good rawk-band and it's quite telling that "Pretend wer'e dead" (and "Shove"!) are better than anything the loudmouth "Look at us! We are females in doll-dresses rocking out!"-crowd put out (well, Babes in Toyland's "He's my thing" is a classic but every other song they put out was more-or-less dull)...

And of course, you have Kim (and Kelley) Deal (the Breeders), Jennifer Herrena (Royal Trux), Christina (Boss Hog; admittedly, she was naked on their covers and hot as fuck, still, I *think* I would have dug her/them anyway), Bliss Blood (Pain Teens) and-above all-the very subject of this thread so yes, there were tons of cool female fronted rock-acts out there back then, I'm not a sexist pig!

EDIT:And the first Juliana Hatfield-album and Liz Phair's "Exile in guyville" which seems to be somewhat forgotten today in light of the props it got at the time but which is really good IMO...

As for the subject, if you are talking about *solo*-male acts, I might agree; those were lame in the 90's (and yes, that includes Jeff Buckley) but I think male *bands* like Jesus Lizard, Fugazi, Cows, Melvins and a few others did better records...

Still love Polly though and have done so since I first saw "Dress" on
120 minutes back in the day. And I must admit that while I love "To bring...", I kind of prefer "Rid of me" and possibly even "Dry";: I dug the sound of the OG trio, they were not the most distinctive rhythm-section but they didn't need to be because Polly held it down. By comparison, Joe Gore's (who was the head hocho at Guitar Player-magazine at the time BTW; treat that information as you will) "interesting" textures kind of dikuted the impact and made the music sound more 90's; not in a BAD way mind you but not really timeless either whereas the first albums (outside of Albini's time-typical but dope production on "Rid...") felt like they existed outside of any specific era which isn't necessarily a good thing at the time but which helps in retrospect...

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 12:17 AM

12. "In the very name of rock'n'roll..."
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Dec-20-14 12:28 AM by Jakob Hellberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-XQV63E0GU

Not to compare acts just because they are female but this very girly fox of a catty tune obliterates Hole's very existance... I have no idea why I can't let this go; chalk it up to me being very drunk and ignore it tomorrow, of course y'all are allowed to dig Hole and Smashing Pumpkins and Bush and Matchbox 20 and Silverchair and Candlebox and Paw and Jaw and Porch and Fork and Tool (oops!)...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 12:46 PM

17. "If Tool didn't have tools as fan we would respect them more"
In response to Reply # 12

They tried to bring art rock to the Pantara masses.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 01:01 PM

18. "On the topic of Pantera..."
In response to Reply # 17

Phil Anselmo talks about his love for the Smiths:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_kTsbuoTOKs

I don't know why but this shit just cracked me up for some reason...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 03:06 PM

20. "LOL Nah, this is hilarious."
In response to Reply # 18

>Phil Anselmo talks about his love for the
>Smiths:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_kTsbuoTOKs
>
>I don't know why but this shit just cracked me up for some
>reason...

Plus he's doing it with that 'ive been drinking/drugging for decades' conversational tics

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:53 AM

3. "Agreed and I love 'Is This Desire?' Even More"
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:59 AM

5. "My personal fav"
In response to Reply # 3

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:01 PM

7. "Not even the best rock album of that year."
In response to Reply # 0

See: Pulp's Different Class

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:09 PM

8. "*BARF*!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Your'e taking what is a rare example of good *british* rock and replacing it with fucking Brit-pop... *SMH*

Madvillain 626
10018 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:26 PM

9. "lol, different strokes"
In response to Reply # 8

how about alien lanes? you fuck with gbv?

If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:49 PM

10. "I used to like them but..."
In response to Reply # 9

...the whole lo-fi genre has fallen out of favour with me over the years with some obvious exceptions:

1. Royal Trux-SO fucking good; I like them more with each passing year in spite of some seriously embarassing records (only a masochist should listen to "Sweet Sixteen"); still, their lo-fi era shit is still the tops; real rock'n'roll when most other acts like that were either college rock or whiny singer/songwriters

2. Pavement. Still dig them a lot; however, they get enough props as it is...

3. Trumans Water. Prime-era Sonic Youth reborn as a whimsy lo-fi act...

4. Polvo. Maybe more "math-rock" than lo-fi but whatever, "Todays active lifestyles" has the best 2 guitar-interplay since "Marquee Moon"; I'm 100% serious...

HOWEVER, GBV, Sebadoh, Smog, Palace Brothers, Archers of Loaf, Built to Spill, Grifters etc. has all fallen by the wayside to me meaning that while I bought their records at the time and dug them (well, most), I got rid of them years ago and simply have no interest in revisiting, I don't even remember any songs or anything...

Since you are a cool dude and all, I'll give that GBV album another shot, I don't really have an opinion since it's *literally* 20 years or whatever since I've heard the record

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 07:53 PM

22. "RE: I used to like them but..."
In response to Reply # 10

GBV wrote good enough songs to overcome their aesthetic choices. Sebadoh has aged really poorly for me, can't listen to them at all anymore.

--

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 08:46 PM

24. "That's the thing for me though..."
In response to Reply # 22
Sat Dec-20-14 08:48 PM by Jakob Hellberg

...I do not suscribe to the commonly held idea that songs(tm) is what matters in the long run. For example, some of the bands I mentioned like Royal Trux and Boss Hog were "swag-rock" to the core; shit that got by on a "cool" attitude and vibe more than anything remotely resembling memorable songs.

However, there are two songs from the early 80's I distinctly remember due to me starting to listen to the radio at that time and recording stuff: Rick Springfield's "Jessie's girl" and Flipper's "Sex Bomb" (the latter was obviously not in "regular" rotation but it was a mainstay on the New Wave show "Ny Våg"):

Jessie's girl is a great *song* (tm) by most objective standards of measurements but it also strike me as very bland early 80's pop-rock; not really my thing.

Sex Bomb on the other hand is clearly not much of a song but the attitude and vibe that Flipper brings to the proceedings feels so distinctive and "fresh" to me that it ultimately doesn't matter that it is as far from Beatles or Rodgers-Hammerstein as it gets; I can *still* rock out to that tune, it never fails to put a smile on my face and I've played it regularly for almost 30 years...

Anyway, the example Boss Hog might sound a bit too "90's cool" in much the same way as jon Spnecer's other band Blues Explosion did but the poseurs in Royal Trux still works for me; I know they were all style and no substance but the style was distinctive and fucked-up enough for me to sustain over the years.

My memory of GBV was that they wrote good songs (tm) but were ultimately very collegiate, dour and-dare I say it?-"white" (in the wrong way; death metal is "white" in the right way), like to the point of being just as boring as modern day Pitchfork-indie...

I'll give them another shot though after two cool dudes come in their defence...

>Sebadoh has aged really poorly for me, can't listen
>to them at all anymore.

Agreed; I just can't listen to them at all anymore (not that I've really tried but still...); it's "indie (tm)" and while I like indie if you apply a more liberal definition that simply means underground rock, I have very little use for indie(tm); even a band as stereotypically "indie" as Sonic Youth has something extra due to their tunings and guitar-sound and Kim Gordon etc; same with Dinosaur Jr due to Mascis songwriting and guitarplaying-they sound like a "real" and distinctive "classic rock" band to me, however, stuff like Sebadoh is just "bleh" to me nowadays and this in spite of Barlow being a good songwriter...

On a positive note, I really like Barlow's songwriting contributions to the reunion-albums by Dinosaur Jr; good shit...

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 04:48 AM

13. "Pulp were and are great."
In response to Reply # 7
Sat Dec-20-14 04:49 AM by shockzilla

Wouldn't take them over Polly, though.

Madvillain 626
10018 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 11:43 PM

11. "Can I ride for Team Dresch in here?"
In response to Reply # 0

One of the OG queer core bands, they fucking rip.Personal Best is one of the best damn rock albums of the 90s.

It's got bangers like Hate the Christian Right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm__ecZMic8

and Screwing Yer Courage which is one of my favorite love songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZVY0jsBEGs

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 05:03 AM

14. "oh fuck yes, does the long snake moan to this post:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://youtu.be/LymzY43nh30

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 06:32 AM

16. "CAAAAAAALLLL ME LAAAAAAAAAAZARUS"
In response to Reply # 14

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 03:27 PM

21. "^^^Polly Jean Anticipating D'Angelo's Return"
In response to Reply # 16

>

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 06:31 AM

15. "Duh"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 02:03 PM

19. "... not named Spiritualized, ladies and gentlemen we are floating"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Dec-20-14 02:04 PM by ZooTown74

in space

And U2

And Nirvana

And a few others I can't think of

Yeah, so I love PJ Harvey but FOH with this dumb shit.

________________________________________________________________________________
Niggas made aliases.

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 08:12 PM

23. "Love that album but I don't think it's best in class"
In response to Reply # 0

However, that claim is clearly just a conversation starter and not really worth dissecting, so... shrug. Great album, great artist.

--

Lobby The Lesson topic #2913534 Previous topic | Next topic