Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2912606

Subject: "Live From the Writer's Bench - Low End or Midnight? Mecca or Main Ingred..." Previous topic | Next topic
Kil
Member since Oct 06th 2005
971 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 12:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Live From the Writer's Bench - Low End or Midnight? Mecca or Main Ingred..."

This week, we're having one of those classic hip hop debates we've ALL had...what's better Tribe's Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders? Marvin's What's Going On or I Want You? D'Angelo's Brown Sugar or Voodoo? Pete and CL's Mecca and the Soul Brother or Main Ingredient? Plus a rack of other albums, plus Grap Luva chops it up about the recording process of both of those classic Pete & CL albums and drops some jewels on some subliminal lines that were going back and forth between CL Smooth and Wu Tang. But for the top two debates, what's better to ya'll...Low End or Midnight and what's better Mecca or The Main Ingredient and why?

http://www.willmakebeatsforfood.com/2014/12/live-from-writers-bench-choice-is.html

The Corner Radio Podcast Hosted by Kil
@Kil889
www.willmakebeatsforfood.com
www.soundcloud.com/kil889

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - Low End or Midnight? Mecca or Main In...
Dec 15th 2014
Low End > Midnight. Mecca < Main Ingredient
Dec 15th 2014
Everybody should have been a Ghost fan by the 4th Chamber verse
Dec 16th 2014
Midnight & Main Ingredient
Dec 16th 2014
^+1,000 n/m
Dec 16th 2014
Low End and Main Ingredient....probably my 2 favorite albums ever too
Dec 16th 2014
RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - Low End or Midnight? Mecca or Main In...
Dec 18th 2014
Concept for next episode...
Dec 19th 2014
RE: Concept for next episode...
Dec 19th 2014
Midnight, Mecca, Voodoo, What's Going On for me
Dec 20th 2014
RE: Midnight, Mecca, Voodoo, What's Going On for me
Dec 21st 2014
      man, so many reasons
Dec 22nd 2014
           RE: man, so many reasons
Dec 23rd 2014

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 04:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - Low End or Midnight? Mecca or Main In..."
In response to Reply # 0

Low End > Midnight

Mecca > Main

/thread

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Dec-15-14 09:22 AM

2. "Low End > Midnight. Mecca < Main Ingredient"
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 01:53 PM

3. "Everybody should have been a Ghost fan by the 4th Chamber verse"
In response to Reply # 0

If he hadn't won you over by then, you may not love emceeing.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 02:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Midnight & Main Ingredient"
In response to Reply # 0

trouble man
Member since Apr 17th 2005
916 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 09:21 PM

5. "^+1,000 n/m"
In response to Reply # 4

www.soundcloud.com/domsyncro
www.domsyncro.bandcamp.com
www.twitter.com/domsyncro

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18639 posts
Tue Dec-16-14 09:43 PM

6. "Low End and Main Ingredient....probably my 2 favorite albums ever too"
In response to Reply # 0

Hiphopsince1974
Member since Feb 05th 2011
143 posts
Thu Dec-18-14 02:50 PM

7. "RE: Live From the Writer's Bench - Low End or Midnight? Mecca or Main In..."
In response to Reply # 0

Another nice episode...I would have to say I prefer Low End over Midnight because Low End was the album that kinda introduced me to Tribe and it's just one of my favorite albums. I actually prefer Main Ingredient over Mecca and the Soul Brother. I always felt like if you took Troy off Mecca then it's really not that great of an album. It's still a good album but I don't think it's still the classic people say it is. I also gotta agree with Off the Wall over Thriller and Dah Shinin over Enter The Stage. But I don't even see the comparison between I Want You and What's Gong On because What's Going On is one of the most important albums ever! I Want you is tough but What's Going On is on another level IMO

Anonymous
Charter member
23227 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 10:22 PM

8. "Concept for next episode..."
In response to Reply # 0

I like the part where you say you have like 5 albums that define you and Voodoo is one of those.

That would be a dope topic. It kind of puts a different spin on "favorite albums"

With that said... I'm going to go with (from what I remember)

Midnight Marauders
Dah Shinin'
Ironman
The Main Ingredient
Voodoo
What's Going on
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...I feel everyone picked Livin' Proof based off of beats instead of production. The thing about Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords is the entire package and cohesiveness of those albums from start to finish. The interludes, the atmosphere, the production to me as a whole is better. And I say this while easily liking Premier better as a producer and liking the beats on Livin' Proof better.

A little surprised you guys didn't discuss a few...but I know you said there would be more so I'm hoping to see the following;

ATLiens vs Aquemini
The Chronic vs Doggystyle
Cuban Linx vs Liquid Swords (would've been better to me)
Black On Both Sides vs Train of Thought
Word...Life vs Jewelz

Kil
971 posts
Fri Dec-19-14 11:48 PM

9. "RE: Concept for next episode..."
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Dec-19-14 11:55 PM by Kil

Good looking fam! That's a DOPE topic...that's gonna be on tap next after we finish part 2 and some of the jawns you named are on the menu! And you're right, Liquid Swords vs, Cuban Linx would've been better. Like I said that was an old argument from when both those albums dropped but I think your jawn is much better. Good looking for always checking us out! Salute!

@Kil889

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Sat Dec-20-14 01:23 PM

10. "Midnight, Mecca, Voodoo, What's Going On for me"
In response to Reply # 0

>This week, we're having one of those classic hip hop debates
>we've ALL had...what's better Tribe's Low End Theory or
>Midnight Marauders? Marvin's What's Going On or I Want You?
>D'Angelo's Brown Sugar or Voodoo? Pete and CL's Mecca and the
>Soul Brother or Main Ingredient? Plus a rack of other albums,
>plus Grap Luva chops it up about the recording process of both
>of those classic Pete & CL albums and drops some jewels on
>some subliminal lines that were going back and forth between
>CL Smooth and Wu Tang. But for the top two debates, what's
>better to ya'll...Low End or Midnight and what's better Mecca
>or The Main Ingredient and why?
>
>http://www.willmakebeatsforfood.com/2014/12/live-from-writers-bench-choice-is.html

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Kil
971 posts
Sun Dec-21-14 05:09 PM

11. "RE: Midnight, Mecca, Voodoo, What's Going On for me"
In response to Reply # 10

I know you're a big D'angelo dude...at least from that ill mix you did. I agree with Voodoo over Brown Sugar but just curious, why do you pick Voodoo?

@Kil889

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Mon Dec-22-14 01:14 AM

12. "man, so many reasons"
In response to Reply # 11

In a nutshell...

Lots of personal memories tied to Voodoo. 2000 was a good year.

But strictly musically speaking, Voodoo was a quantum leap progression from Brown Sugar to me. Clearer vision for what kind of artist D'Angelo wanted to be, darker, more meticulous, more cohesive, etc. Voodoo changed how I listened to music too. Since things were more in-your-face and sparse, it allowed the listener to see all the details. After Voodoo I was more engaged with what I was listening to and tried to learn shit in addition to being moved.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

YupYupLikeTeddy
Member since Dec 04th 2004
193 posts
Tue Dec-23-14 03:46 PM

13. "RE: man, so many reasons"
In response to Reply # 12

My votes are Low End, because it basically introduced me to Tribe. Main Ingredient because I remember I Got A Love being one of my favorite songs that year. One word for why I pick Brown Sugar over Voodoo and that's LADY. I actually prefer Thriller to Off the Wall because I loved the sound of the early 80's vs. the 70's and I know you all said just the beats for Cuban Linx vs. Group Home but I look at them as a whole project so I gotta go with Rae on that one.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2912606 Previous topic | Next topic