Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2911266

Subject: "Nicolas Jaar Interviews Andre 3000 (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Dec-04-14 03:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Nicolas Jaar Interviews Andre 3000 (link)"

"I felt like a sell out, honestly. So I was like, if I'm in on the joke, I'll feel cool about it."—Andre 3000

By NAOMI ZEICHNER, NICOLAS JAAR

At the opening of his art show, Andre 3000 explains his tour jumpsuits to another musician.

Forty-seven jumpsuits Andre 3000 created for Outkast's 20th anniversary tour are now on display in Miami. They're being shown as part of a show, i feel ya: SCAD + Andre 3000 Benjamin, which will run from today through December 14. Andre's had a relationship with SCAD, the Savannah College of Art and Design, for years. "I was actually supposed to go to SCAD before I started rapping. I actually draw and paint for real and I was gonna go to art school, and then me and Big Boi started rapping. So that went down the drain," he told Nicolas Jaar, reporting for The FADER. More recently, SCAD students worked with Andre on designing clothes for his Benjamin Bixby line.

Jaar, the musician and GEN F alum, also happened to be in Miami this week on an impromptu stopover to see friends in town for Art Basel. During a walk through of the exhibition last night, he and Andre spoke about the jumpsuit project. The conversation between two touring musicians—Jaar did his own festival circuit in 2014 with Darkside—was brief and remarkably candid.

"I didn't start the tour like, Yeah, I'm gonna do all of these suits," Andre explained. He started performing in them after the tour's rocky first performance, using each jumpsuit as an opportunity to bring something fresh to an endeavor that he said felt uncomfortably familiar, at first. "My first Coachella show, which was a horrible show, I wore something like my outfit right now. I didn't know what to wear on stage, so it was my overalls."

"Honestly, just, you know—I didn't wanna do the tour. We hadn't performed in 10 years. It was old songs," he said. "I'm like, How am I gonna present these songs? I don't have nothing new to say. So I was like, maybe I can start saying new stuff while doing these old songs. It became a theme where I was more excited about this than the actual show. This is fun, running out in these."

Andre has no Twitter or Instagram account; Jaar asked if the jumpsuits were a physical way, for him, to communicate in the truncated and direct way people do on those networks. "I live my life out on stage and everywhere else, I don't necessarily have to tweet it out," Andre said. "But I felt like it was cool that I could say crazy thoughts or fun stuff. And I think it actually gets more attention because it is what it is instead of tweeting it. And Twitter, from what I know of, you only have a certain amount of characters, like 150. My space was just right here," he said, pointing to his chest. "Everything had to go here. So I had to squash and edit words."

There were a couple suits that didn't ever appear on stage, he continued. "There were ones you didn't see that were too hardcore, they would have pissed a lot of people off." Explaining one of the more opaque slogans that did make the stage, "Wet Poseidon," he said: "That was a sexual thing. Just another way to say sloppy wet pussy. Sloppy wet poseidon, just a funny way of saying it."

Andre paired each word-scrawled suit with a platinum wig and a cartoonish price tag, which read 'SOLD' on one side. He told Jaar the tag was his way of letting fans know more about the thought process behind his decision to head back out on the road.

"I felt weird about going out on stage and doing it again. I felt like people would be like, 'Y'all are doing all these festivals, y'all are just doing it for money,' he said. "And I felt like a sell-out, honestly. So I was like, if I'm in on the joke, I'll feel cool about it."

"It was a decision," he continued. "I'm 39, I got a 17-year-old kid, and I gotta support certain things. And my partner Big Boi is like, 'This is a great thing for all of us.' So I felt like there was a certain sell-out in a way, because I didn't wanna do it—I knew I was doing it for a reason. So maybe if I'm telling people, 'I am selling out,' then it's not as bad as pretending. It's being honest about it like, 'Shit, I did these songs when I was 17 and I'm out here pedaling them now.' But it's the honest thing, that's what it is."

Read story -> http://www.thefader.com/2014/12/03/andre-3000-art-show-jumpsuits-nicolas-jaar-interview

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: still don't get why he hates performing old songs
Dec 05th 2014
I swear... he's up to something
Dec 05th 2014
I wish Kast would drop an album out of nowhere like Beyoncé
Dec 05th 2014
      solo 3k album would be outstanding.
Dec 05th 2014
what a clown
Dec 05th 2014
Quest said it on this site that it was a cash grab...
Dec 08th 2014
its about time for dre to shut up.
Dec 05th 2014
^1,000
Dec 06th 2014
Easiest way to not perform old music is to make new music.
Dec 06th 2014
guess his heart is not interested in performing at all
Dec 08th 2014
I'm empathetic for him.
Dec 08th 2014

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 03:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: still don't get why he hates performing old songs"
In response to Reply # 0

shit is depressing

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 10:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I swear... he's up to something"
In response to Reply # 0

All this press.
I refuse to believe it's not leading up to something.
It's like he's being lured out of his hole and now that's he's out and having a look around. Create create release release

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 01:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I wish Kast would drop an album out of nowhere like Beyoncé"
In response to Reply # 2

Or a solo 3k album

-----------------------------------------------------------------

initiationofplato
Member since Nov 06th 2013
2420 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 02:02 PM

4. "solo 3k album would be outstanding."
In response to Reply # 3

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 04:02 PM

5. "what a clown"
In response to Reply # 0

did anyone really see this as a cash grab in the first place?
this is a group that has been long dormant, but still retains a huge, die-hard following.
everyone was thrilled when they announced this tour.
but he feels like a sellout because of it?
give me a break.
every cpl months dre is in the media pining about his lack of inspiration, he doesn't know what to do with himself, etc
who cares? do something or don't.
meanwhile big boi is largely ignored by the legions that hang on waiting for dre to do something (anything), and he STAYS releasing great music, in addition to edgy stuff like doing remixes with Little Dragon... you know, the kind of envelope pushing we expect from dre.

ChampD1012
Member since Sep 27th 2003
8355 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 09:42 AM

11. "Quest said it on this site that it was a cash grab..."
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Dec-08-14 09:43 AM by ChampD1012

tried to get them for the picnic this year...

I saw them in Tampa during the tour...and it wasn't sold out...you could buy tickets at the door...I was kinda shocked by that...

tariqhu
Charter member
17890 posts
Fri Dec-05-14 11:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "its about time for dre to shut up."
In response to Reply # 0

tired of him with this same story. I get this is old music and he's grown, so stop talking about it. if you got nothing, go away. I'll be one of the few still buying big's albums.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

trouble man
Member since Apr 17th 2005
916 posts
Sat Dec-06-14 11:55 AM

8. "^1,000"
In response to Reply # 6

As if I wasn't before, I'm CERTAINLY team Big Boi. Andre's coming off like a real sucker to me these days. OutKast made that nigga who he is, period.

www.soundcloud.com/domsyncro
www.domsyncro.bandcamp.com
www.twitter.com/domsyncro

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Sat Dec-06-14 01:52 AM

7. "Easiest way to not perform old music is to make new music."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

DunDaDa
Charter member
7411 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 01:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "guess his heart is not interested in performing at all"
In response to Reply # 0

and it sounds like that Coachella show was traumatizing for him.

----------------------------------------------------------------
respect the gift.

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 02:31 AM

10. "I'm empathetic for him."
In response to Reply # 0

Granted, like many have said, it taints the shows a bit. But I'm still glad he said it because, for once, he went against his usual wishes and he gave the fans what they wanted - and he felt terrible afterward. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not upset about him talking about it constantly because I think he's genuinely conflicted about it.

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

Lobby The Lesson topic #2911266 Previous topic | Next topic