Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2908802

Subject: "Help me spend money on a handful of great instrumental albums" Previous topic | Next topic
amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 04:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help me spend money on a handful of great instrumental albums"
Sun Nov-09-14 04:48 PM by amplifya7

About to start studying for an exam, wanna buy a handful of great instrumental stuff to add to the ipod to get me going. I want an array of genres, from instrumental hip hop, electronic, beat tapes, post-rock, etc.

Here's what I just bought:

DDay One - Dialogue With Life (Instrumental Hip Hop, 2014) - For me this guy is carrying the Endtroducing/Deadringer torch as far as melancholy vinyl samples + breakbeats instrumental hip hop stuff goes. love his old stuff, so I blindly bought this one.

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss (Post-Rock, 2007) - Always seen people on reddit hyping this up as the best Post-Rock album ever, never listened more than a minute but it sounded really good.

Chris Clark - Clark (Electronic, 2014) - I know this guy has been around for a long while, but I never peeped much of his back catalogue but I randomly was checking out samples of the new album and thought it sounded great, still noisy and dark but seems a little more accessible than some of the crazy abrasive stuff i remember hearing on "turning dragon".

Khrysis - Khrysis On The Boards With The Heat Vol. 1 (Vol. 2 is free on datpiff.com)- (Hip Hop, 2006) - Khrysis is one of my favorites for straight up boom bap beats, I could listen to "I'm A Star" all day.

-----

Considering buying the new Aphex Twin, but would rather spend $5-$10 on bandcamp if possible, I'll buy at least 1-2 more from recommendations in this thread. I wanna get at least one new 'futurebeats' Burial-ish type album as well

Also considering Neat Beats 'Cosmic Surgery' http://neatbeats.bandcamp.com/

or one of these lee (asano+ryuhei) albums that rhymesandammo put me onto: http://leeeeee.bandcamp.com/, i have no idea which one to start with though

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Hermutt Lobby - Midi Demi
Nov 09th 2014
i was ready to be put off by the the album description on bandcamp + art...
Nov 09th 2014
supa dave west - beat boxing (2014)
Nov 09th 2014
i cosign this heavy. Dave is my guy
Nov 25th 2014
Floorplan - Paradise
Nov 09th 2014
listened to a few minutes of two tracks
Nov 10th 2014
Three Trapped Tigers — 1–13
Nov 09th 2014
SOLD.
Nov 10th 2014
      man, these guys are so good
Nov 24th 2014
tropes - Hz is all
Nov 09th 2014
this is free? i feel like I heard of it before, but never peeped
Nov 10th 2014
Jake One, Seaplane
Nov 09th 2014
Cul de Sac
Nov 10th 2014
several tracks off of these three releases should give you something
Nov 10th 2014
RE: Help me spend money on a handful of great instrumental albums
Nov 10th 2014
Nov 11th 2014
The Stuyvesants - FINE
Nov 12th 2014
check out Stashboxxx by DJ Harrison if you haven't already
Nov 12th 2014
Prefuse 73's Interregnums
Nov 12th 2014
^^^ and Preparations too
Nov 24th 2014
3 WORDS: Tall. Black. Guy.
Nov 25th 2014
RE: 3 WORDS: Tall. Black. Guy.
Nov 25th 2014
Yup
Nov 27th 2014
Nov 25th 2014
Oddisee's Rock Creek Park is amazing
Nov 25th 2014
Haha, you are correct...According to my bandcamp fan page it was
Nov 26th 2014
RU (AreYou) "Above Me Are The Gods"
Nov 27th 2014
i still gotta listen to some of the stuff in here i didnt reply to, but
Jan 21st 2015

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 06:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Hermutt Lobby - Midi Demi"
In response to Reply # 0

Right up your alley.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

amplifya7
2989 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 07:09 PM

2. "i was ready to be put off by the the album description on bandcamp + art..."
In response to Reply # 1

"I met Barnum at the Lunch Garden in Dolhain on Titan at half past noon on the 15th of January. He was a fairground worker who lived in a caravan on the outskirts of town. I wished to convince to join my menagerie of freaks. Barnum had a blind gut with no intestine or anus, expelling food waste through his mouth. But most of all he could cast off and regenerate all twelve of his fingers and toes. He arrived late, sat down with a belch and ordered the eggplant in tamarind gravy and a bucket. His wretched face betrayed the disgrace of some apocryphal place that did not wish to disturb its masters for too long, piling them up against the wall and enslaving their livers against the better judgement of more bacterial sentiments. His sallow orifice rotated counter-clockwise as he chewed loudly on his food, rivers of broth running down the sides of his mouth, and dripping from his chin. His meal finished, he picked at his five sickly teeth with the help of his fingers and the fleshy appendix that he used as a tongue, and stared at me with youthful candour. "I am a showman by profession" he said, and added that his only personal aim was "to put money in his pocket".

I inquired as to when and how he had discovered his extraordinary capacity to regenerate. He explained that he had forgotten the safe word when indulging in mild odaxelagnia with his then partner, and lost his pinky in the process. The following day a stub had appeared, which progressively grew to reform the lost appendage (albeit of a whiter hue). He added that when his finger was sectioned he had enjoyed his most intense climax yet. He then excused himself, picked up the bucket and vomited his feces into it in three long bursts. "So, we have a deal?" I asked him, as he wiped his mouth on his sleeve. "Got to have something for everyone no?" he replied. On opening night Barnum, distraught with stage fright, had drunk himself into a stupor. Instead of merely cutting a finger or two, he hacked off his arm just past the elbow. Grimacing with ecstasy, he passed out when it came off, leaving his forearm twitching in the sand. Barnum never came to, spent a week in a coma and eventually passed away. His arm however survived and began to grow a body of its own. Within a month it had developed into a completely new individual. We named it "Chuck", and kept it on roster. It was a full house on the night of his debut."

what?? lol. can't go wrong for the price of free.99 though, I d/led it - first track sounds really cool. thank you!

banco_popular
Member since Nov 08th 2014
75 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 07:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "supa dave west - beat boxing (2014)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/beat-boxing/id900633828

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 09:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "i cosign this heavy. Dave is my guy"
In response to Reply # 3

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35249 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 08:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Floorplan - Paradise"
In response to Reply # 0

amplifya7
2989 posts
Mon Nov-10-14 07:29 AM

9. "listened to a few minutes of two tracks"
In response to Reply # 4

really nice, thanks

Auk_The_Blind
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
1282 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 08:31 PM

5. "Three Trapped Tigers — 1–13"
In response to Reply # 0

https://bloodandbiscuits.bandcamp.com/album/numbers-1-13

Can be too abrasive and/or too melancholy for proper studying, but otherwise seems like the kind of thing you're looking for (in a broad sense).

amplifya7
2989 posts
Mon Nov-10-14 07:33 AM

10. "SOLD."
In response to Reply # 5

>https://bloodandbiscuits.bandcamp.com/album/numbers-1-13
>
>Can be too abrasive and/or too melancholy for proper studying,
>but otherwise seems like the kind of thing you're looking for
>(in a broad sense).

hell yeah, this is awesome, and i don't have anything that sounds anything like this. Abrasive and/or melancholy is fine for me for studying...I mostly get distracted by vocals or too many melodic changes (can't listen to jazz while studying, solos distract me)

amplifya7
2989 posts
Mon Nov-24-14 09:44 PM

18. "man, these guys are so good"
In response to Reply # 10

i might have to start listening to some more instrumental math-rock type stuff now...

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 08:41 PM

6. "tropes - Hz is all"
In response to Reply # 0

hip hop beats at the core, but the usage of static and warbly effects turns 'em into a kind of hazy meditation music. https://tropes.bandcamp.com/album/hz-is-all

also, let me humbly suggest a mix I put together specifically for situations like yours. covers a lot of genres (inst hip hop, electronic, jazz, post-rock...) with the common thread being a mellow, low-key vibe. check it: https://opsfromchi.bandcamp.com/album/telekinesis-vol-0-mix

amplifya7
2989 posts
Mon Nov-10-14 07:35 AM

11. "this is free? i feel like I heard of it before, but never peeped"
In response to Reply # 6

blindly downloading both those links and throwing them on the ipod, thanks!

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Sun Nov-09-14 09:32 PM

7. "Jake One, Seaplane"
In response to Reply # 0

Not up on too many but this recently dropped and is pretty chill

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

JayEmm
Member since Feb 06th 2004
3294 posts
Mon Nov-10-14 12:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Cul de Sac"
In response to Reply # 0

I could go on all night about post-rock/experimental shit, but if you're diggin' Yndi Halda, then Cul de Sac is one band that fits into a similar artist map

http://youtu.be/2tBGaQevgqc
http://youtu.be/WuLG1ZZDGrA
http://youtu.be/znFGHYrVcc4

also,
Do Make Say Think: http://youtu.be/VN8GXJBJpr0
Flying Saucer Attack: http://youtu.be/gLzjsJgIUhs
Natural Snow Buildings: http://youtu.be/MGlcxjKfU8A

just a few I can think of on the fly. I tend to favor the more ambient/drone side of things, but it's not everyone's cup of tea

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Mon Nov-10-14 01:00 PM

12. "several tracks off of these three releases should give you something"
In response to Reply # 0

the soundclips give a good representation of the tracks - they are all very repetitive

sound of all

http://www.amazon.com/During-Sound-All/dp/B00FK2JR6G/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1415642092&sr=1-1&keywords=sound+of+all+during

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Sound-All/dp/B00EU6N3GS/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1415642138&sr=1-1&keywords=sound+of+all+before

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-After-Sound-All/dp/B00GOY0WZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1415642162&sr=1-1&keywords=sound+of+all+after

tdervan
Member since Nov 10th 2014
16 posts
Mon Nov-10-14 09:22 PM

13. "RE: Help me spend money on a handful of great instrumental albums"
In response to Reply # 0

Highly suggest anything by-

Mount Kimbie
Blockhead

and of course... RJD2

Oh, amon tobins earlier stuff, and bonobo

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Tue Nov-11-14 05:21 AM

14. "RE: Help me spend money on a handful of great instrumental albums"
In response to Reply # 13

>Oh, amon tobins earlier stuff

this dude's name consistently comes up in convos with music heads. 'bout time I check him out.

Soulroe
Member since Dec 25th 2009
1518 posts
Wed Nov-12-14 01:43 AM

15. "The Stuyvesants - FINE"
In response to Reply # 0

http://thestuyvesants.com/

phlipout
Member since Nov 11th 2014
309 posts
Wed Nov-12-14 08:18 AM

16. "check out Stashboxxx by DJ Harrison if you haven't already "
In response to Reply # 0

your ERA never low enough

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Nov-12-14 11:19 AM

17. "Prefuse 73's Interregnums"
In response to Reply # 0

Starks dunked on Bulls
Member since Dec 07th 2011
12028 posts
Mon Nov-24-14 11:51 PM

19. "^^^ and Preparations too"
In response to Reply # 17

>

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36965 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 01:14 AM

20. "3 WORDS: Tall. Black. Guy."
In response to Reply # 0

8 Miles To Moenart
The Brazillian Chronicles
Hollyweird

https://digife.com

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 01:23 AM

21. "RE: 3 WORDS: Tall. Black. Guy."
In response to Reply # 20

YES...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Soulroe
Member since Dec 25th 2009
1518 posts
Thu Nov-27-14 12:01 PM

27. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 20

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 02:03 AM

22. "RE: Help me spend money on a handful of great instrumental albums"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayatollah ish…brother is STILL nice...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Tue Nov-25-14 09:19 AM

24. "Oddisee's Rock Creek Park is amazing"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sure you have that already.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

amplifya7
2989 posts
Wed Nov-26-14 07:27 AM

25. "Haha, you are correct...According to my bandcamp fan page it was"
In response to Reply # 24

the 3rd album I ever bought from bandcamp. I've played that and travelling man to death, but definitely need to give the newest instrumental one and his "101" "102" instros more spins.

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Thu Nov-27-14 07:56 AM

26. "RU (AreYou) "Above Me Are The Gods""
In response to Reply # 0

http://ruareyou.bandcamp.com/album/above-me-are-the-gods

a couple vocal features but this is what I've been playing a ton lately

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

amplifya7
2989 posts
Wed Jan-21-15 06:54 PM

28. "i still gotta listen to some of the stuff in here i didnt reply to, but"
In response to Reply # 0

just wanted to say the solo album by kingston of bsbd, 88 Ultra - Sirens, is some great study music

Blockhead's new one, despite the cover art, is pretty top notch as well

Lobby The Lesson topic #2908802 Previous topic | Next topic