Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2907664

Subject: "T-Pain's NPR Tiny Desk Concert without autotune" Previous topic | Next topic
atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Oct-29-14 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"T-Pain's NPR Tiny Desk Concert without autotune"

http://www.npr.org/event/music/359661053/t-pain-tiny-desk-concert

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is clearly some freaky friday shit
Oct 29th 2014
His lyrics don't lend themselves to stripped down versions
Oct 29th 2014
It's funnier hearing him sing Buy You a Drink like a serious
Oct 29th 2014
      RE: It's funnier hearing him sing Buy You a Drink like a serious
Oct 30th 2014
           Really good point
Mar 30th 2015
RE: T-Pain's NPR Tiny Desk Concert without autotune
Nov 01st 2014
I don't think this was very good.
Nov 02nd 2014
his new mixtape is alright.
Mar 30th 2015

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Oct-29-14 04:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is clearly some freaky friday shit"
In response to Reply # 0

Him and Musiq switched bodies

A Sizzle
Member since Jul 28th 2008
1644 posts
Wed Oct-29-14 09:17 PM

2. "His lyrics don't lend themselves to stripped down versions"
In response to Reply # 0

but he sounds good

http://www.mixcloud.com/adotsizzle/

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Wed Oct-29-14 11:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "It's funnier hearing him sing Buy You a Drink like a serious"
In response to Reply # 2

crooner.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

iHoller
Member since Aug 06th 2014
52 posts
Thu Oct-30-14 06:38 AM

4. "RE: It's funnier hearing him sing Buy You a Drink like a serious"
In response to Reply # 3

but he is though.

and he can really sing. he wasn't flukin it when he had those charts locked. i used to not like him, but i was on some music snobbery nonsense.

i didn't really take him seriously until i heard/saw him jam with his band and play guitar. it was on youtube, and you couldn't really hear it clearly, but i did. it took that for me to realize how skilled and talented he truly was/is. and it made me genuinely start to respect music. he's a genuine songwriter, and those songs are truly good songs.

listenin to that, was so good though. it had true personality and character. it sounds like he used to listen to country, and genuinely liked it, so that naturally fell into his influences as a songwriter. and country music whether you're a fan, or not, always has great songwriting.

the radio/produced versions suggest that he'd be popular and everyone would know him at the club, and he'd get all the ladies and what not. to me, the lyrics suggest that he was more serious than you'd expect, and he'd go over people's (specifically the women he'd approach) heads. radio you hear what he is sayin, but without the beats you get to feel or relate to what he's singin.

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 12:59 AM

7. "Really good point"
In response to Reply # 4

About the country influence

I always thought his songs were well written but it does come off kind of hokey in this atmosphere, maybe because he's too nervous to be having fun with it

But obviously he can sing, and well and that. I wonder if he'll be making any kind of comeback

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Sat Nov-01-14 04:51 PM

5. "RE: T-Pain's NPR Tiny Desk Concert without autotune"
In response to Reply # 0

>http://www.npr.org/event/music/359661053/t-pain-tiny-desk-concert

I'm not shocked but this falls under 'cool to see'. General talent is basically always cool to see if you ask me. It just goes to show that throwing the snob blanket of hatred over all artists who are popular isn't exactly smart money even if you'll be right enough to feel right enough...

I turned the corner enough to 'admit' that I thought he was at least a solid writer..and I've been having a 1-hour playlist of his songs that I can listen to skip-free and enjoy the hell out of. And he always seemed like he was 'in on the joke' of him singing with autotune being hilarious on its own. And the jokes he cracks in the songs? I always viewed that as 'guys, I get it and I know what you're thinking...but c'mon...get the stick outta yo ass and just enjoy this..I know I am'.

Jimaveli

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sun Nov-02-14 01:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I don't think this was very good."
In response to Reply # 0

I only checked this out cause my Twitter timeline was going crazy about it.

Eh...

https://digife.com

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Mon Mar-30-15 10:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "his new mixtape is alright."
In response to Reply # 0

kinda surprised there weren't any non-autotune cuts on it.

And I think he should've given some more time to "Hashtag" and put some polish on it, that sound coulda been some big business. I feel the same way about "Default Picture" from his last album. T-Pain is so close to writing some huge pop single about digital depression but he keeps throwing in an awkward verse or two.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Lobby The Lesson topic #2907664 Previous topic | Next topic