Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2905457

Subject: "DJ Quik on Bullseye with Jesse Thorn (NPR) (also I'm Jesse Thorn)" Previous topic | Next topic
PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 06:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"DJ Quik on Bullseye with Jesse Thorn (NPR) (also I'm Jesse Thorn)"

https://soundcloud.com/bullseye-with-jesse-thorn/dj-quik-1

Really happy with how this turned out. Quik is a really interesting, nice guy.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Will check it out
Oct 14th 2014
She's a great lady
Oct 14th 2014
This will definitely help me pass the day at work. Thanks for posting
Oct 14th 2014
This was really good
Oct 14th 2014
At first I thought this was Bob Costas / Jim Gray interviewing Quik
Oct 14th 2014
that was a fun listen
Oct 15th 2014
Lmao, loved the hair convo.
Oct 15th 2014
Been way too long since I listened.
Oct 15th 2014
Well, take heart in knowing that your interview>>>>>>Juan Epstein ep
Oct 15th 2014
Without a doubt! Juan Ep was horrible
Oct 15th 2014
      Cipha was geeked, Bitchberg as usual stayed fuckin up
Oct 16th 2014
I really enjoyed this interview
Oct 15th 2014
that was great
Oct 15th 2014
Listened to Big Boi/Catherine O'Hara, also.
Oct 15th 2014
thank you!
Oct 16th 2014
yeah I downloaded this one and a couple others
Oct 17th 2014
I didnt d/l a bad one yesterday.
Oct 17th 2014
that's one of the best as well, for me this new Quik one is my new #1
Oct 24th 2014
Quik related: Pitchfork interview (link)
Oct 15th 2014
this one is good too
Oct 15th 2014
I'd love to hear that riders of the storm track!
Oct 17th 2014
Nice read
Oct 17th 2014
I finally checked this out last night.
Oct 17th 2014
Nice!
Oct 18th 2014
RE: Nice!
Oct 19th 2014
I think you could make a career around being the whitest white guy...
Oct 19th 2014
I'd enjoy that
Oct 24th 2014
      Agreed, plus he's Canadian, which is generally a whiteness trump card
Oct 24th 2014

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Oct-14-14 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Will check it out"
In response to Reply # 0

Dug the previous ep with Merrill.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Tue Oct-14-14 12:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "She's a great lady"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm a little sensitive to Bay Area arriviste hipsterism, but she absolutely positively won me over. What a smart, interesting woman. Great music, too.

-
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44716 posts
Tue Oct-14-14 10:22 AM

2. "This will definitely help me pass the day at work. Thanks for posting"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

mrhood75
44716 posts
Tue Oct-14-14 04:02 PM

4. "This was really good"
In response to Reply # 0

Always heard Quik was a cool guy. The conversation was damn entertaining, especially him talking about his (and Dru Down's) hair. The stuff about working with 3T was great too.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Tue Oct-14-14 07:17 PM

5. "At first I thought this was Bob Costas / Jim Gray interviewing Quik"
In response to Reply # 0

lol

Good interview.

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 01:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "that was a fun listen"
In response to Reply # 0

Quik has always been the shit. n he seems like a reasonable music nerdy kinda dude u could kick it with n chill.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23880 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 07:18 AM

7. "Lmao, loved the hair convo."
In response to Reply # 0

And that he didn't really get your "can't wear all these chinchillas" joke.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6738 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 02:11 PM

8. "Been way too long since I listened. "
In response to Reply # 0

Absolutely excellent interviews.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

mrhood75
44716 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 03:06 PM

9. "Well, take heart in knowing that your interview>>>>>>Juan Epstein ep"
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

16580 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 07:04 PM

13. "Without a doubt! Juan Ep was horrible "
In response to Reply # 9

They didn't even know the man's history.

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Thu Oct-16-14 03:23 PM

17. "Cipha was geeked, Bitchberg as usual stayed fuckin up "
In response to Reply # 13

I don't know why Cipha always plays the back to rosiebitch, he HAS to know that dude is hot trash

Cipha wanted to talk more about production, techniques, the music, which is what Quik is known for, but fuckface kept derailing the convo

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 04:55 PM

10. "I really enjoyed this interview"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 06:09 PM

11. "that was great"
In response to Reply # 0

i really enjoyed that, still need to check out the new album.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

JFrost1117
23880 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 06:51 PM

12. "Listened to Big Boi/Catherine O'Hara, also."
In response to Reply # 0

Went back to subscribe on iTunes and grabbed a few more eps.

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Thu Oct-16-14 01:28 PM

16. "thank you!"
In response to Reply # 12

-

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Fri Oct-17-14 12:46 PM

19. "yeah I downloaded this one and a couple others "

looking forward to listening.

JFrost1117
23880 posts
Fri Oct-17-14 01:20 PM

21. "I didnt d/l a bad one yesterday."
In response to Reply # 19

Big Boi, Bootsy, a talk on "The Room". All very good.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Oct-24-14 04:14 PM

27. "that's one of the best as well, for me this new Quik one is my new #1"

but I highly recommend the Nile Rodgers and Bootsy Collins episodes as well for music fans.

Listening to this Bullseye with DJ Quik compared to the Juan Epstein episode the same week is like Night & Day, the Juan Epstein takes 40 minutes to even get to Quik then when it does gives him 25 minutes in which Cipha Sounds actually has to ask Quik the name of his debut album, Rosenherb repeatedly mis-quotes Quik's 'you left out the G because the G ain't in you' MC Eiht blast (probably his most famous line ever) and both eye-scroll wikipedia to come up with questions during their interview.

I said as much in Quik/Ciph/Rosie's shared tweet of their episode while shouting out the Quik Bullseye interview (sorry for tossing you in their mentions, Jesse) which is a bit of a troll move but completely deserved on all counts IMHO.

16580 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 09:23 PM

14. "Quik related: Pitchfork interview (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

DJ Quik

The preternaturally funky West Coast hip-hop great talks about staying vital for a quarter century, his tumultuous family history, and trying to bring the party back to a fragmented culture with his stunning ninth album, The Midnight Life.

By David Drake , October 15, 2014

When I meet DJ Quik in the lobby of a hotel in Times Square, he appears ageless, dressed simply and accented by a long, untied black du rag. In conversation and on record, the 44-year-old is a lively storyteller, guided by the same intellectual restlessness that has kept him engaged and essential across the last 25 years. As a producer, he's worked with the boldest names—2Pac, Janet Jackson, Jay Z, Snoop—but the best way to take in his wide-ranging skills as a rapper, songwriter, and studio mastermind is by listening to his solo catalog, which now boasts The Midnight Life, his wildly funky ninth—and, he says, second-to-last—album.

Quik received something of a critical reappraisal over the past few years, with many citing his previous record, 2011's Book of David, as an example of a veteran artist finding the key to continued creative regeneration. Meanwhile, his overarching sonic influence on rap and R&B has come into finer focus; a few years ago, he revealed that he had even produced the drums for 50 Cent's "In Da Club". It helps that he's one of the most musically talented producers in hip-hop, someone whose proficiency has always felt like a side effect of the will to create rather than the mercenary craft of an industry employee.

But even now, the recognition must feel like something of a bittersweet consolation prize. Quik's fortunes rose and fell just ahead of his contemporaries in the 1990s, before he lost his major-label deal around the turn of the century, shrinking his recording budgets considerably. Younger artists today may not realize how much the money enabled, but to Quik, the '90s and early 2000s were an industry golden age that inspired some of history's greatest art. Even in that period, though, he didn't quite fit, a round peg in a square hole.

As much as he laments the segmentation of popular culture, the supposed death of R&B and gangsta rap, and the evaporated big budgets of the CD era, Quik's eccentricities still flow unbroken in an effort to make music that brings us together. “We know the industry is in the fucking doldrums, but that's not what it's about,” he says. “We make music to be happy, and people still need to hear that—people still need music, even if there's no music industry.”

Pitchfork: What's the most difficult part of starting a new record at this point?

DJ Quik: Just being motivated to do it. Because I feel like if I'm not going to change the game or do something innovative, then I'm not motivated. And sometimes it's hard to listen to new music and get motivated, because it's elementary to me—no disrespect to new artists, because that's where we started, too. But it's like they're way back there in first grade, and I'm in college now. So to be able to impress, you have to get to this middle ground where you're not too advanced so it goes over people's heads, and you're not too minimalist where people think you're just trying to rob the game and not stretch out.

Pitchfork: What are you trying to do with The Midnight Life?

DJQ: Book of David came from a darker place; I was having family trouble and I didn't understand why my family would turn on me just for saying, “No, I can't give you guys free money anymore, I can't help you with these dreams that y'all got that ain't going to come true. I've got to support my own family and myself.” They just went crazy. They wanted to rob me. They felt entitled to my money. That was scary, because these are people who know where you live. Even though they're family, they're dangerous. That leached into my album, like sewage.

With Midnight Life, I had no distractions, no family issues at all. I ended up starting to throw Super Bowl parties and inviting my family over to do karaoke and eat and drink. I was saying, “I forgive you even though you put me in jail and I lost a fortune fighting you. It wasn't worth it. I should have just gave y'all the money instead of going to lawyers.” But hell, I'm over it. You can't hate somebody for the rest of their lives over one mistake. So we've got mutual respect, and I got back to the party.

After I went through so much grief, I was trying to be funny to balance things out. So I started hanging around with motherfuckers like Katt Williams and learning comedic timing. You hear that shit on the opening skit, where it's like, "Hip-hop needs a banjo!" It's retarded. But then the first song “That Ni***r's Crazy” comes on—and there's a banjo. Funky!

I don't take myself seriously; nothing on this album is too serious. Except maybe "Puffin the Dragon", where I delve into what my grief period was like and how I lived through it. That song holds tension all the way to the end, and then just breaks and goes into this '80s-type, Pink Floyd-ish, Fender Rhodes-y, big snare a la Billy Squire's "Big Beat" shit. It turns into some cool jazz and resolves, which is my way, musically, of saying: “Look, you guys gave me olive juice and bitters, and I turned this shit into a motherfucking sweet martini.”

Pitchfork: One of my favorite tracks on the album is the instrumental "Bacon's Groove". Tell me about your longtime guitarist Robert Bacon and that record.

DJQ: I met Bacon when we couldn't get the clearance for War's "Slippin Into Darkness", which was going to be "8 Ball" on Quik Is the Name, my first album. He came in and just strummed around, and the lightbulb went off, like, “Oh my God. This dude is from Detroit, so he knows soul and funk, and he can play all the stuff that I hear in my head—so I don't have to sample it!” I just kept getting him work; he played on everything I produced. He ultimately ended up co-producing my second album, Way 2 Fonky, because we had got close. It was like, “Dude, let's make a musical revolution.” And he taught me. Now, I can do music easily; I turned into a musical beast.

“Bacon's Groove” is like a '70s classic soul ballad instrumental—Bacon is so good, it's like you've got to put him in that era. I love him, man. I wish I could play guitar like that. I envy him when he's doing it, because he doesn't even flinch. He makes the guitar sing, and talk, and cry, and laugh. How do you get all of that out of a piece of wood and some metal strings? I don't even get it. For this track, I invited him to the studio to do a groove with me, and it ended up becoming his own. I did the drums, he did the bass and the guitar. But when I was sitting there mixing it, I was like, "This shit is ridiculous. This don't even belong on a rap record." I don't think The Midnight Life is a rap record, it's a music record. Just real big production and stretched-out musicianship. Really virtuoso, if you will.

Pitchfork: What kind of music are you listening to now?

DJQ: Just old '70s shit. I mean, I do listen to new stuff, like Spoon. I like shit like that. Coldplay, obviously. Anything Dr. Dre still does. I bought Young Jeezy's album, 50's new album. I still support it. But I just keep going back to “Soul Train” and I wonder: How did we lose our culture? Black people used to all do the same thing on Saturdays. We all watched “Soul Train” and “American Bandstand”, got our fashion and dance tips, and then we emulated it and bought those records that we heard. Now it seems like there is no culture. The school of fish are all separate. Everybody's just randomized, listening to their own thing in their earbuds, and there's no uniformity. That bothers me.

On "Broken Down", from this new record, I'm rapping about how motherfuckers don't even kick it the way we used to kick it. We used to throw parties in the park, get booze, barbecue, have fun—the same shit you seen on the "'G' Thang" video. People don't do that anymore. You go to the park and everyone's all pocketed and separate (gestures at an invisible phone). That's going to be the downfall of music, if anything. Nobody enjoys one thing anymore.

Pitchfork: You've made a lot of classic party records records over the years—do you throw parties? Are people still coming to your crib on the weekend?

DJQ: The club scene is different now. I don't want to tear up my home anymore. I still do the music, but I don't partake in the parties as much. The parties happen when we book the studio. That's a safe place. Get alcohol, food, girls, homies, and have these small listening parties while I'm recording. And that energy always gets into the music. But they're more scaled down and not as frequent as they used to be; I used to throw mad parties because I had all this damn money!

Some of them got out of hand. People wanted to fight, steal necklaces off of people's necks. A little weird. I had to have armed security at my house. I was young, 21, 22. But that's what we were inspired by: party music. We had already lived a hard life growing up in Compton, all the violence and police brutality. We just wanted to throw that shit to the wind and kick it.

Pitchfork: On that note, have you been paying attention to what's going on in...

DJQ: … Ferguson? Of course I have. All I have to say is that's been going on forever. It just seems like the people in Missouri couldn't take it any more. That was a pressure point. Hopefully it will bring change to the way they police out there. It's ironic that the officer hasn't even been indicted or brought up on charges. The way he killed that boy, it was macabre.

Sometimes, when cultures feel like they've been abused, they just snap. That's how riots happen. When Trayvon Martin was killed, it built tension in black people. And now with Ferguson it's like, “OK, enough's enough.” People revolt.

Pitchfork: Your music has often been very tied to what you are going through in your own life, but have you ever wanted to be more explicitly political?

DJQ: Yeah, honestly. I say a few political things on this album, like statistics about the schooling of black children—they're 18% of the school population by race, but they make up more than half of the expulsions or suspensions. So it's like, “What are the black kids learning?” I hate those numbers, so I mention them. But I don't think that I could carry the Public Enemy torch. I wanted to do that, you know, but N.W.A. had that lane taken. So there wasn't really much I could do except talk about how not to let the gangs and the drugs and the streets and the police take you down. If I could elaborate more and be more political, I probably would. I think it makes sense for my music. I would be like Gil Scott-Heron.

Pitchfork: Rhythm-al-ism, from 1998, is a record that wrestles with a lot of big ideas as far as violence and music and how they interact.

DJQ: Rhythm-al-ism was a lot of emotion. I had just buried my best friend and was dealing with the grief. My nephew killed my assistant manager out of drug-induced rage. I couldn't believe it; I mean, I knew my nephew was a little touched—he would crash my cars and go try to hide them somewhere like I'm not going to see it. I'm like, "Did you hurt anybody?" "No, I ran!" I still tried to help, but ultimately he was doing some methamphetamine; I didn't even know what meth was back then. How do you go that crazy to where you kill somebody? You know what I mean? It's not that serious.

So he snapped while I was working on the Rhythm-al-ism, and I had to stop recording and bury my friend, take care of his family, adopt his daughter. She's now my goddaughter. Then I had to pick up the pieces and still finish that record. Out of that came records like "Down, Down, Down", and "We Still Party", and "Hand in Hand".

Pitchfork: Most artists reach a stage in their career and are no longer are as good at what they do. How do you maintain such a high level of creativity?

DJQ: The motivation sometimes comes when you least expect it. I try to keep an open mind. I'm not willing to just do shit because it's time. I'll still hone stuff. I listen to the radio, just like a running back trying to hit a hole—he's trying to find some place where nobody is and get there to score. That's what I do now. I've got super creative people around me. I don't think you should ever give up on trying to push the bar a little bit higher.

If you listen to "Pet Sematary", it's based on the movie Pet Sematary, where you bring dead things back to life, and they're not quite the same. The cat, a baby, whatever. People have been talking about how R&B and gangsta rap are dead, but with that song I did a total gangsta rap lyric to a total R&B track, and people like it. It's like a five-bar arrangement as opposed to the normal four-bar, sixteen bars, and hook. This shit ended up being a musical journey, and that's creative. It just feels good, too. If I'm in the studio, recording and being creative, it sparks other songs. Now we've got to top that one with something else that's cool.

At some point, I probably will run out of rhythms I can use and sounds I can beef up. And the most creative I've ever been on records was not even on my records. It was with Dr. Dre, when we were working with Truth Hurts and 50. I was findings samples and making clap sounds that nobody else was doing. Just super raw, raucous-ass beats. Hopefully I can catch that back and do another "In Da Club". Wouldn't that be awesome.

Pitchfork: Do you see yourself performing for the rest of your life?

DJQ: No. There are times now where I've got to do an hour-and-a-half-long show and I need my hype man. It's like, “I'm gonna take this small aspirin break!” It becomes a workout. I always said if I see Ice Cube and Too $hort still doing it, then I'll still do it. But now I'm looking at both of them like, “Damn, did we miss the stop?” No disrespect, I love Ice Cube and Too $hort onstage. But I just feel the burn myself sometimes.

So I've got probably another year or two before I sit back in the studio and engineer. I still want to be an architect and score films and do other things. I always said as long as I've still got teeth and hair and I look cool when I look in the mirror, then I'll do it. You never want to look like an old fart doing young rap music. At what point does "Sweet Black Pussy" become not explicit, but perverted? (laughs) I look down and see little kids in the audience and I'm like, “Oh man, I hope I'm not poisoning these kids!” The one comment I get all the time is, “Man, you don't understand—I got a whoopin' listening to your music, I got my tape snatched, I got put on a punishment, I got my ass beat!”

But I'm no more explicit than Eazy-E was. Like on "I'd Rather Fuck You", he's like, "Bitch! You don't have to front on me bitch, don't be afraid, it's only a dick!" He's got skits where he's shooting the person in the car, blowing their brains out and shit. We listened to that and it was so over-the-top that we just knew it was fake. So our shit became over-the-top to where it was fake. Then art started to imitate life, and vice versa—you've got motherfuckers trying to come to the studio to kill you and motherfuckers standing outside with fucking ARs and glocks everywhere. You can't thrive in a studio environment like that!

Pitchfork: What is the next step for you?

DJQ: I set out to do 10 albums over my career. I got sidetracked all those years where I wasn't recording, there was just too much personal shit going on, too much trying to get people all on one page so they can be a part of the movement and help me get to the level where Dre is. People like to pull you down, they don't really want to see you up there. In 23 years, I could have had 23 albums! But I would take time off from my own stuff to work with these other artists that were calling for me, like Raphael Saadiq, Jay Z, Whitney Houston, Janet, Rick James—you name it. I was working on everybody's stuff.

Pitchfork: Would you trade that time collaborating for more time to work on your own material?

DJQ: Hindsight being 20/20, I think it's OK. It's one of the reasons I became “underrated,” because people didn't know that I was doing all that shit: helping 2Pac and Pharoahe Monch and trying to produce everybody. I probably should have done more records. But since the music industry is going downhill I want to drop my 10th album immediately after this one, so I can have my discography done. That will be my ultimate book.

Pitchfork: Is there an album of yours you think is slept on?

DJQ: Balance & Options. There were a couple of songs that actually didn't make it to the album. I sampled the Doors' "Riders on the Storm"—I paid 17 grand to get real strings and orchestration, and then Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek, rest in peace, didn't clear it. Manzarek was very picky about who he chose to carry the Doors' legacy. It's like, “Motherfucker, my life mirrors Jim Morrison's more than anyone else! I'm a young poet with this hair and this revolutionary music.” He didn't see it like that. He saw me as an outcast. I was brokenhearted.

And another thing: When I listen back to that album, I realize that I was going through a vocal change. There was a raspiness and an urgency, as if I wasn't getting enough sleep. I was getting this growl. There was a lot of struggling going on, then I lost my record deal after Balance & Options and went independent. So, from then on, I had to cut costs, which affected all of my independent records, and I hated that. With this new record, I was able to use my publishing money to record in the studio with no distractions. My voice is back, I sound like the old DJ Quik. It's like I rode through one of those Pacific Ocean storms and made it back to land. That's what it sounds like.

Pitchfork: A lot of people say that you've aged very well. What's your secret?

DJQ: People don't believe this shit, but I had an accelerated life in my 30s because I was trying to do the studio and the personal life. I wasn't sleeping. I started to see these big ass bags under my eyes. Crows feet. Receding hairline. I was like: "AHHH!" So I got rid of my sister Jackie, who was a stress bug, like, "Sis, I love you, but you're taking all my money and going to be happy with other people, then you come to me with problems. You gotta go." She used to do my hair and would put rubber bands in it and just rip it out. I was about to have a horseshoe! My mother was like, "What's wrong with your hair?" I was like, "Your daughter Jackie is doing it." She's like, "Son, you've got to get a new beautician."

So I went to some new beauticians, got my hair back healthy. And I bought this machine that exercises your muscles with an electric pulse. I had jowls and shit coming in, so I used to put baby oil gel on my face and put that thing right by my eye and work those muscles for 30 minutes. And it would burn after a while! It hurt! But I started seeing results. It was the funniest thing: When do mail-order things work? I thought it was a hoax. But before you know it, my face was all tight. The crows feet were gone. My jawlines came back up. My dimples came back. That thing worked! I ended up losing it, and haven't used it in over 10 years, but for anybody that's got some facial issues—fuck plastic surgery. You've got hundreds of thousands of muscles in your face, exercise them and they'll tighten up just like when you lift weights. (laughs) Plus, my moms is a beautiful little creole woman. I got it from her.

Read interview here: http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/9524-dj-quik/

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Oct-15-14 11:42 PM

15. "this one is good too"
In response to Reply # 14

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Fri Oct-17-14 07:30 AM

18. "I'd love to hear that riders of the storm track!"

Great interview!!!

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Oct-17-14 01:03 PM

20. "Nice read"

This post got me listening to some Quik today.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

trouble man
Member since Apr 17th 2005
916 posts
Fri Oct-17-14 02:50 PM

22. "I finally checked this out last night."
In response to Reply # 0

Awesome job. I've been a day one fan of Quik and you pulled a story out of him that I never heard before in regards to the 2Pac album.

www.soundcloud.com/domsyncro
www.domsyncro.bandcamp.com
www.twitter.com/domsyncro

sl_onIce
Member since Jul 22nd 2005
553 posts
Sat Oct-18-14 06:04 PM

23. "Nice!"
In response to Reply # 0

Real good rapport too

http://amatorsa.wordpress.com/

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Sun Oct-19-14 11:37 AM

24. "RE: Nice!"
In response to Reply # 23

took a minute to get him off his phone, but he's an exceedingly pleasant man. And you can see (and hear) how much he loves music.

-

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Sun Oct-19-14 02:57 PM

25. "I think you could make a career around being the whitest white guy..."
In response to Reply # 0

who is knowledgable and at ease interviewing the realest black folks.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/blackpeopleonlocalnews

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Fri Oct-24-14 01:16 PM

26. "I'd enjoy that"
In response to Reply # 25

but I think the element of surprise is crucial.

Anyway: there's no way I'm whiter than Nardwuar.

-

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Oct-24-14 06:11 PM

28. "Agreed, plus he's Canadian, which is generally a whiteness trump card"
In response to Reply # 26

>Anyway: there's no way I'm whiter than Nardwuar.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2905457 Previous topic | Next topic