Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2905364

Subject: "Live From the Writer's Bench - How the Years '97 & '98 Changed Hip Hop" Previous topic | Next topic
Kil
Member since Oct 06th 2005
971 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 05:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Live From the Writer's Bench - How the Years '97 & '98 Changed Hip Hop"

One of my homeboys told me that he looks at the hip hop game as before BIG died & after BIG died. I see what he's saying but for me it was Jay Z's Hard Knock Life album when I first saw the split in hip hop. Before that album it seemed like most heads agreed on 90% of everything hip hop but after that album it seemed like it was a split in the game and it became an "us" and a "them" now. And that album dropped in '98.

Then when we did our sophomore slump show I realized that the bulk of the albums that we named dropped in either '97 or '98. And then when I looked at sophomore albums that dropped prior to '97 the bulk of 'em were all dope. So what happened? And that's when I realized that it was sumthin about those two years that changed the landscape of hip hop and after that there was no going back. So what happened? Was it Puff's/BIG's formula that EVERYONE tried to replicate? Was it the rise of the south and No Limit? Was it the money and when Parish couldn't say "I haven't seen one rapper living comfortably" anymore? Welp, we try to answer all of those questions this episode when we try to find out how those two years changed the culture of hip hop forever. And what do ya'll think? Do ya'll think what happened in those two years changed the game or were we already on that crash course?

http://www.willmakebeatsforfood.com/2014/10/live-from-writers-bench-97-98-twilight.html

The Corner Radio Podcast Hosted by Kil
@Kil889
www.willmakebeatsforfood.com
www.soundcloud.com/kil889

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
s0o0o tired of talking about rap from the 1990's.
Oct 13th 2014
RE: s0o0o tired of talking about rap from the 1990's.
Oct 13th 2014
I'll tune in but I'm not terribly interested in those years
Oct 14th 2014
RE: I'll tune in but I'm not terribly interested in those years
Oct 14th 2014

hangin_with_mr_bammer
Member since Oct 10th 2014
63 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 05:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "s0o0o tired of talking about rap from the 1990's."
In response to Reply # 0

i'd be way more interested if this was about how rap changed in 2001/2002 or 2005/2006 or 2009/2010.

Kil
971 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 07:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: s0o0o tired of talking about rap from the 1990's."
In response to Reply # 1

To me this show is a throwback of "the good ole days of the 90's" but more of a show of how hip hop became what it is right now. Plus to be honest with you, I don't know how rap changed from 2000-2001 or the rest of the '00's outside cats really don't know how to rhyme, they were tight jeans and everyone's favorite drums are 808's but school me on the 00's.

@Kil889

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Tue Oct-14-14 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'll tune in but I'm not terribly interested in those years"
In response to Reply # 0

And part of it is my age I imagine. I am fascinated by 95-96 and a lot of 93-94.

I'm equally amazed at what's happened between 2005-7.

I think I'll write about it.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

Kil
971 posts
Tue Oct-14-14 09:49 PM

4. "RE: I'll tune in but I'm not terribly interested in those years"
In response to Reply # 3

And keep in mind it's not nuthin positive about those years, it's basically how I feel those years ruined hip hop. My bad, I should've made the title reflect that.

@Kil889

Lobby The Lesson topic #2905364 Previous topic | Next topic