Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2904800

Subject: "Ranking the Seven Rap Albums That Went Diamond (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Oct-09-14 01:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ranking the Seven Rap Albums That Went Diamond (link)"

BY JUSTIN CHARITY

After the summer of 2003, on the strength of "Right Thurr" and "Holidae In," Chingy's Jackpot went triple platinum. I still can't believe it. And as if karma were indeed a motherfucker with some specific vendetta against hip-hop, only a dozen or so rappers have gone even 1x platinum in the decade since.

You know what's cooler than a platinum certification, though? A diamond certification. Rap's only got seven of 'em, issued between 1990 and 2003, one of them to MC Hammer. Before we get into this, you should know that when the RIAA sends you the plaque, it's not even made of diamonds; it's made of wood, glass, and steel. Dr. Dre's "platinum plaque" isn't a real thing, much less a diamond plaque. What's the point even? Let's rank these albums, I guess.

7. MC Hammer, Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em
Release Date: Feb. 2, 1990
Label: Capitol/EMI

MC Hammer was Quavo's prototype, basically. Fast, choppy raps from the diaphragm with dexterity instead of complexity. Plus lots of dance floor chant breaks. People who fucked with Heavy D will swear to you that MC Hammer was the corny one. I don’t get it. Dude could rap. Dude could dance. Dude couldn't dress, but neither could Jay Z until Beyonce took him to Macy's that one time back in '03. Hammer's fashion criminality aside, Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em is a good time. Still, it's the first rap album to go diamond, and it happens to be the least impressive rap album to do so, ultimately. That’s until Iggy’s album goes diamond. *prayer hands emoji*

6. 2Pac, Greatest Hits
Release Date: Nov. 24, 1998
Label: Amaru/Death Row/Jive/Interscope

Interscope didn’t remaster any of this shit! “Keep Ya Head Up” still sounds like an auto repair shop’s PA system! Argh! Unrelated complaint: Lead single “Changes” is a great song until you revisit “I Wonder if Heaven Got a Ghetto,” which “Changes” cannibalizes, and grasp how much better that original beat suited the tone of those verses. 2Pac was not about that "Oh well, that's just the way it is" life. The real 2Pac wondered whether heaven had a ghetto. In any case, Greatest Hits is basically a reissue All Eyez on Me, which pretty much means that All Eyez on Me went diamond twice. Those royalty checks will get you a long way in Havana, Cuba, where 2Pac currently resides.

5. Eminem, The Eminem Show
Release Date: May 26, 2002
Label: Shady/Aftermath/Interscope

Given certain tendencies of his contemporary output, it’s tempting to recall The Eminem Show as Eminem’s pop extravaganza. And while “Cleanin’ Out My Closet,” “Sing for the Moment,” “Superman,” and "Till I Collapse" were the sort of Billboard hits that foreshadowed Eminem's latest run of power anthems and Rihanna collaborations, the white boy was still rapping his ass off on the singles and deep cuts alike. There's the G-Unit-infused “Soldier,” the D-12-styled “Without Me,” the tag-teaming (vs. Jermaine Dupri and Bow Wow) "Say What You Say" with Dr. Dre—all together, it’s a style of autobiography that’s more cohesive and direct than even 2Pac’s All Eyez on Me, with severity of personality and traumas defined that few other rappers have ever achieved, if only because no one could ever dare to try.

4. The Notorious B.I.G., Life After Death
Release Date: March 25, 1997
Label: Bad Boy

Compared to his debut, Ready to Die, the Notorious B.I.G.'s second (and final) studio project is a more inclusive affair that more so resembles the modern rap album: multivariable, loaded with features from various regions, with pristine, boisterous production. Yet none of Life After Death's variety or extravagence ever drowns Big's voice or charisma as the lead force of this project. “Hypnotize” and “Mo Money Mo Problems” are two of the biggest hits of Big's career. “Notorious Thugs” f/ Bone Thugz-n-Harmony and “I Love the Dough” f/ Jay Z are the boldest non-Bad Boy collaborations of Big's catalog. You could rock a house party of well-shaved 33-year-olds wearing blazers with this album. Even though "Another" f/ Lil Kim and "Nasty Boy" both sound like parody records from a club skit on Chappelle's Show.

3. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP
Release Date: May 22, 2000
Label: Shady/Aftermath/Interscope

Eminem's best album went diamond, meaning there's justice in this world and in this industry, occasionally. If you're older than 23, go back and listen to this album; bask in the fact that, as an adult, it's actually rather difficult to reestablish connection with the rage and psychopathy of pre-Rihanna Eminem; "Kill You" and "Kim" especially. This earlier half of Eminem's catalog was custom built for adolescence, engaging, enthralling, exciting until the point in life when you've got to raise a daughter, sustain a marriage, and not murder civilians. 50 Cent may be hip-hop's bad guy emeritus, but Eminem was an American villain. My mother was legit terrified.

2. 2Pac, All Eyez on Me
Release Date: Feb. 13, 1996
Label: Death Row/Interscope

The first track off B.I.G.’s Life After Death is “Somebody’s Gotta Die,” which is a good song. The first track off 2Pac’s All Eyez On Me is “Ambitionz Az a Ridah,” which, in the grand tumult of humanity, is the only song that’s ever mattered. (Sorry, Big.) With Johnny J, Dre, Daz, and Quik on the boards, 2Pac dropped the biggest number of hits and gems ever squeezed onto a single rap album; admittedly, like B.I.G.'s Life After Death, this one's a double-disc. All Eyez on Me hosts 2Pac's tremendous, notoriously enigmatic range; 2Pac is on here confronting #BlackOnBlackCrime, inventing mixed drink orders, and reconciling his feminism with his dick. “I used to fiend for your sister but never went up in her” is the trillest pledge of brotherhood in a genre that offers much competition on that front. If “Whatz Ya Phone #” wasn't on here, and if 2Pac didn't swear so goddamn much, I swear the deacons of my hometown church would've stomped down the aisles to this album. Gospel instrumentation and all.

1. OutKast, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Release Date: Sept. 23, 2003
Label: LaFace/Arista

As a blockbuster pop single, “Hey Ya!” is indeed The Love Below’s best foot forward, though it's just OutKast getting started. “A Life in the Day of Andre Benjamin” is the most surreal, engrossing bit of artist biography since Prince's "Ballad of Dorothy Parker." From Big Boi's half of the double-disc split, “GhettoMusick,” “The Rooster,” “Bust,” “Flip Flop Rock,” and “Last Call” are the collectively deafening bombast by which Speakerboxxx earns its name. Whereas albums like The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show (rightfully) max out on adolescence and blunt appeals to teen egos, Speakerboxxx and The Love Below are, together, a sort of grand musical experiment in which a band tests the bounds of its historical fluency. Here you have a rap album that's secretly a rock album, and not-so-secretly a feat of funk and R&B. In two parts, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is hip-hop’s Sign o’ the Times, with “Prototype” giving Prince a run for Andre’s advance. OutKast is the greatest American band of all time. Here's one album (among six) to prove it.

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/10/ranking-the-7-diamond-selling-rap-albums/

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So basically, Em is the only one still around*
Oct 09th 2014
Pac, Big, Em, Kast, Hammer. Not really surprised by that list (thankfull...
Oct 09th 2014
That's how I always felt about that particular album
Oct 09th 2014
except for 2pac's GH I got more out of all of them than I did from SB/TL...
Oct 09th 2014
RE: except for 2pac's GH I got more out of all of them than I did from S...
Oct 12th 2014
no. that shit is bad.
Oct 12th 2014
There's a lot of things that make that statement wrong.
Oct 13th 2014
-
Oct 12th 2014
those albums are a perfect pair foh
Oct 13th 2014
      yep. one to listen to, one to roll joints on in the passenger seat
Oct 13th 2014
this shit here
Oct 12th 2014
Most of them are double CDs, Em sold 10 mill with single discs. Twice.
Oct 13th 2014
RE: Most of them are double CDs, Em sold 10 mill with single discs. Twic...
Oct 13th 2014
mine: 1. all eyez 2. life after 3. mmlp 4. sb/tlb 5. 2pac GH 6. tes 7. p...
Oct 13th 2014
5 out of 7 are pretty blah artisticly
Oct 13th 2014
Don't agree Big's Life After Death is blah
Oct 13th 2014
      Blah
Oct 14th 2014
Nelly's debut didn't go diamond?
Oct 13th 2014
Definitely thought 'No Way Out' would make the list.
Oct 14th 2014

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Thu Oct-09-14 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So basically, Em is the only one still around*"
In response to Reply # 0

*actually making records

make of that what you will

Outkast, one of the GOAT, but 3stacks derailed that train with the one album they went diamond with

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Oct-09-14 03:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Pac, Big, Em, Kast, Hammer. Not really surprised by that list (thankfull..."
In response to Reply # 0

well, I guess the Eminem Show was, considering that's not the album I'd consider the "crown jewel" of the Eminem catalog (it's the Marshall Mathers LP) but I guess it's like Mega Man 3: strong on its own, but everyone copped it because Part 2 was the series GOAT

MaxPtah
Member since Mar 06th 2007
5837 posts
Thu Oct-09-14 04:19 PM

3. "That's how I always felt about that particular album"
In response to Reply # 2

That's why I bought it, just off the strength of MMLP. I listened to it two, maybe three times, and it was the last Eminem album I listened to.

----------------------------------
www.maxptah.com
"you gotta be real white to hate on a nxgga for eating." (c) okp infin8

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35246 posts
Thu Oct-09-14 05:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "except for 2pac's GH I got more out of all of them than I did from SB/TL..."
In response to Reply # 0

The Love Below was totally worthless. Speakerboxx I actually really liked, but that shit is a package deal

Sometimes attempts for originality simply become novelty.

16580 posts
Sun Oct-12-14 05:01 PM

5. "RE: except for 2pac's GH I got more out of all of them than I did from S..."
In response to Reply # 4

>The Love Below was totally worthless. Speakerboxx I actually
>really liked, but that shit is a package deal

"A Life in the Day of Benjamin André (Incomplete)" Makes this statement wrong.

cgonz00cc
35246 posts
Sun Oct-12-14 08:33 PM

8. "no. that shit is bad."
In response to Reply # 5

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 07:54 AM

9. "There's a lot of things that make that statement wrong."
In response to Reply # 5

>>The Love Below was totally worthless. Speakerboxx I
>actually
>>really liked, but that shit is a package deal
>
>"A Life in the Day of Benjamin André (Incomplete)" Makes
>this statement wrong.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

16580 posts
Sun Oct-12-14 05:01 PM

6. "-"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun Oct-12-14 05:02 PM by Nick Has a Problem..

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 08:24 AM

10. "those albums are a perfect pair foh"
In response to Reply # 4

cgonz00cc
35246 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 03:31 PM

14. "yep. one to listen to, one to roll joints on in the passenger seat"
In response to Reply # 10

I think people enjoyed letting other people know how great it is more than they actually enjoyed listening to it

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Oct-12-14 08:13 PM

7. "this shit here"
In response to Reply # 0

>OutKast is the greatest American band of all time. Here's one album >(among six) to prove it.

they're not even the best Hip Hop group ever, and even if they were there's a strong argument for a few other groups
but this is too much even for an article like this, and almost makes it seem like the writer wrote the whole thing just to be able to say that with a straight face

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 01:29 PM

11. "Most of them are double CDs, Em sold 10 mill with single discs. Twice."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-13-14 01:29 PM by spirit

Dude's following is monstrous.

*insert racial commentary*

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

16580 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 01:39 PM

12. "RE: Most of them are double CDs, Em sold 10 mill with single discs. Twic..."
In response to Reply # 11

>Dude's following is monstrous.
>
>*He white*
>
>Peace,
>
>Spirit (Alan)
>http://wutangbook.com

osu_no_1
Member since Feb 26th 2003
9414 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "mine: 1. all eyez 2. life after 3. mmlp 4. sb/tlb 5. 2pac GH 6. tes 7. p..."
In response to Reply # 0

Gotta admit i liked please hammer don't hurt em a lot when it came out. Almost would consider 2pac greatest hits last because it sort of doesn't count...

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 04:07 PM

15. "5 out of 7 are pretty blah artisticly"
In response to Reply # 0

>7. MC Hammer, Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em
Blah to ick.

>6. 2Pac, Greatest Hits
Double blah

>5. Eminem, The Eminem Show
Blah

>4. The Notorious B.I.G., Life After Death
Blah

>3. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP
Surprisingly good if you skip the cuts with features.

>2. 2Pac, All Eyez on Me
Blah

>1. OutKast, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Super blah. (Bloated blah?)

Alphabet
Member since Jun 28th 2003
4402 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 04:40 PM

16. "Don't agree Big's Life After Death is blah"
In response to Reply # 15

at all...bloated? yes..but what double disc isn't? But Biggie as an artist really mastered his craft on that album...As a MC he was may more refined and complete than on Ready To Die....

#PicABeat Audio Photo series. Where the beat is inspired by the photo.
http://soundcloud.com/KingAkai

http://kingakai.com

“I love these bitches, man. I really do.”
- Andre 3000

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Tue Oct-14-14 01:07 AM

18. "Blah"
In response to Reply # 16

I don't care for Biggie - plus the discs are bloated.

I realize tens of millions of people thing he's not blah - but they are wrong

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Mon Oct-13-14 06:45 PM

17. "Nelly's debut didn't go diamond?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-13-14 06:47 PM by High Society

Just checked - it may get there.

As of May 2013, it has sold 8.5 mill.

edit:
It would be the first hiphop DEBUT album to go Diamond.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Af-1
Member since Apr 22nd 2008
3461 posts
Tue Oct-14-14 03:37 AM

19. "Definitely thought 'No Way Out' would make the list."
In response to Reply # 0

-----
Check me out, say hi...
Visit our soul/jazz/funk internet radio station, Blue-in-Green:RADIO: http://www.blueingreenradio.com/
https://www.mixcloud.com/Blue_in_Green_Sessions/
http://soundcloud.com/user305437292

Lobby The Lesson topic #2904800 Previous topic | Next topic