Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2903439

Subject: "Seriously, what do you think of these songs?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Seriously, what do you think of these songs?"

I'm really not trying to start trouble here. I mean it.

But you know, I came across this Soundcloud yesterday and I'm feeling a lot of these songs.

https://soundcloud.com/j_wilde/

Of course, these are rough demos and fragments. Sure, some of them tend a bit toward the derivative. But is it me, or does this cat know his way around a lyric and a melody?

I guess the reason I'm asking is because certain posters on this board have spent years and years ridiculing me for having said that songs by this particular artist were quite good and that in fact they were catchier and more articulate than most of the songs on D'******'s last album. The fact that I said that is brought up again and again and again to illustrate the fact that I have poor taste/I hate "real" music/I hate Black Americans(???)/I'm trolling etc.

But yo... am I crazy or are some of these songs pretty good???

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
from what I've heard
Sep 30th 2014
I thought 'Delicious Females' was pretty funky
Sep 30th 2014
after the first few I was ready to say 'not my thing'
Oct 01st 2014
They're not my thing either per se
Oct 01st 2014
      To be fair they're mostly :57 snippets
Oct 01st 2014
Dude....
Oct 01st 2014
He could have written a breakout hit for Cody Chestnutt
Oct 01st 2014
no, I agree with you
Oct 01st 2014
if you try to login and it doesn't work, uhhhh...
Oct 01st 2014
LOL well... maybe I just have shit taste after all.
Oct 01st 2014
Reminds me of some Van Hunt
Oct 02nd 2014
A few issues to address in this post. there is talent in this work
Oct 02nd 2014
Hi #####
Oct 02nd 2014
Not even close.
Oct 02nd 2014
      LOL
Oct 02nd 2014
           See what u done dun did?
Oct 02nd 2014
                I was aware of the risk
Oct 02nd 2014
                     On topic
Oct 02nd 2014
                          I think this is the root of the issue.
Oct 02nd 2014
                               why do you think he hasn't fleshed any of them out
Oct 02nd 2014
                                    Im not a speculation pundit
Oct 02nd 2014
                                         Is there one you'd like to hear a full version of
Oct 02nd 2014
                                              many
Oct 02nd 2014
                                                   which one'd be at the top of the list?
Oct 02nd 2014
                                                        doesnt really matter tho
Oct 02nd 2014
                                                             just trying to have a discussion about the music
Oct 02nd 2014
                                                                  Id like to hear the full versions of
Oct 02nd 2014
Fucking Beetlejuice.
Oct 02nd 2014
I love OKP n/m
Oct 02nd 2014
do you ACCEPT....
Oct 02nd 2014
lulz
Oct 02nd 2014
See, this is why things are how they are.
Oct 02nd 2014

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 01:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "from what I've heard"
In response to Reply # 0

he's come a long way since "Delicious" ...

but they are at the very least pleasant sounding.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Sep-30-14 01:37 PM

2. "I thought 'Delicious Females' was pretty funky"
In response to Reply # 1

I mean, it was silly on the lyrical tip but it righteously grooved...

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 09:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "after the first few I was ready to say 'not my thing'"
In response to Reply # 0

but I let it play, and it's still not my thing... but I can see why you like it. They're ideas and snippets, but they're generally well-formed and with an emphasis on melody; he seems to have an awareness of the pop-music continuum without aping anything, as is particularly clear with regard to the production, an interesting mix of retro-80s rnb and modern (I was going to say contemporary but I'm not really versed enough in 'contemporary' to call it that) pop with a hit of an appealing bedroom-musician aesthetic.

*shrug*

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 10:26 AM

4. "They're not my thing either per se"
In response to Reply # 3

They're quite reminiscent of, say, Van Hunt... and while I can admire his style of artistry, I don't have any strong desire to buy or even acquire his albums for free.

But yeah.... my thing is that these are "well-written" "songs" and regardless of what we think of the artist based on his behavior on this board, it's not crazy to acknowledge that he's done some "good" work here.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "To be fair they're mostly :57 snippets"
In response to Reply # 4

so it's hard for me at least to describe them as well-written songs based on what I've heard. But it's at least well within the realm of probability, so, yeah.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 11:10 AM

6. "Dude...."
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 12:21 PM

7. "He could have written a breakout hit for Cody Chestnutt"
In response to Reply # 0

on the light, vapid pop tip. I'm not even saying this to completely cite your Cody cosign, I'm serious

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 12:47 PM

8. "no, I agree with you"
In response to Reply # 7

stylistically, a lot of these songs do remind me of THM-era Cody, and the one-after-the-other fragmentary nature of them only adds to that effect.

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 01:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "if you try to login and it doesn't work, uhhhh..."
In response to Reply # 0

i don't know nothin' about nothin'.

nigga sound like Mikki Free(base).

FOHWTBS.

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 01:15 PM

10. "LOL well... maybe I just have shit taste after all."
In response to Reply # 9

>FOHWTBS.

I really did LOL at this though:

>nigga sound like Mikki Free(base).

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 01:47 AM

11. "Reminds me of some Van Hunt"
In response to Reply # 0

I think someone else in this post mentioned that as well. It's raw of course but it was decent. If there was a finished product I'd check it out to see what dude can do.

ReyOfLight
Member since Oct 02nd 2014
7 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:09 AM

12. "A few issues to address in this post. there is talent in this work"
In response to Reply # 0

First of. AKAP is right. There is major talent in these songs and yes I made up an alias as, as I am a regular poster, I do not want to get caught up in the nonsense and being anonymous is easier'

AKAP. you dont need cosigns on what you like. If you like dude's music, you like it. I feel hes talented, others do not, but the naysayers do not determine his talent.

I dont know if you listened to all of his songs, but the breadth of styles he covers is immense. How can anyone blanket say he sounds like van hunt? did you listen to "Dont Let Me Down?" Thats straight Depeche Mode. Did you listen to "Under Control?" Thats straight lenny. Did you listen to "you are my everything?" Thats a prince extended jam. Did you listen to "Im Yours and You Are Mine?" Thats a straight george-michael "faith" riff. How about "Finger on the Trigger?" Is that not wolfmother?

People dont go back far enough. The sound isnt necessarily van hunt. I feel thats the issue with this generation. Their references dont go back far enough, and ppl are in a rush to seem impressive with their assessment. As I said, many of these songs sound nothing like Van Hunt, esp "End Of A Love Affair" which I think is the best song. Also, while at first glance "You make my day" may sound like van hunt, its the deeper reference at play: Curtis Mayfield. Think of his song "Diamond in the Back."

think.....

And my personal opinion, without hyperbole, this guy is immensely talented, but take that for what its worth to you.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22102 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Hi #####"
In response to Reply # 12

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

ReyOfLight
7 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:17 AM

14. "Not even close. "
In response to Reply # 13

Im one of the most respected posters in the lesson

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:18 AM

15. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 14

>Im one of the most respected posters in the lesson

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:28 AM

16. "See what u done dun did?"
In response to Reply # 15

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:35 AM

17. "I was aware of the risk"
In response to Reply # 16

but it had to be done.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:48 AM

19. "On topic"
In response to Reply # 17

There's probably a decent "100 Deaths" in the bunch but I'm not in a hurry to find it. For me it sounds like someone who's having fun and I can't knock anyone for that, but it'd take a little more polish for me to admit any kind of talent.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

ReyOfLight
7 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:58 AM

20. "I think this is the root of the issue. "
In response to Reply # 19

When proffering opinions ppl are inclined to believe theirs is a determining factor. Artists march to the tune of their own drums. Ray Charles (and by no means am I comparing _____'s talent with his) said

"The most important thing my momma told me is "Not everyone is gonna like you."

Its to the point in this matter.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 11:05 AM

21. "why do you think he hasn't fleshed any of them out"
In response to Reply # 20

you think he's just content doing sketches?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

ReyOfLight
7 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 11:16 AM

22. "Im not a speculation pundit"
In response to Reply # 21

I have no idea.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 11:18 AM

23. "Is there one you'd like to hear a full version of"
In response to Reply # 22

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

ReyOfLight
7 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 11:19 AM

24. "many"
In response to Reply # 23

not just one

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 11:20 AM

25. "which one'd be at the top of the list?"
In response to Reply # 24

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

ReyOfLight
7 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 12:59 PM

29. "doesnt really matter tho"
In response to Reply # 25

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 01:24 PM

30. "just trying to have a discussion about the music"
In response to Reply # 29

you?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

ReyOfLight
7 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 01:59 PM

31. "Id like to hear the full versions of"
In response to Reply # 30

Finger on the Trigger
End of A Love Affair

but the track that really shocked me is the dance track "Kill Switch." Is a big departure from the other linked tunes

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 10:44 AM

18. "Fucking Beetlejuice."

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22286 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 11:37 AM

26. "I love OKP n/m"

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 12:23 PM

27. "do you ACCEPT...."

dula dos pistolas
Member since Sep 12th 2006
3295 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 12:29 PM

28. "lulz"

___

low end crazy, eastside crazy, wild hunnids crazy, englewood crazy.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Oct-02-14 08:22 PM

32. "See, this is why things are how they are. "
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Lobby The Lesson topic #2903439 Previous topic | Next topic