Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2902971

Subject: "Andre Benjamin interview - RS swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 12:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Andre Benjamin interview - RS swipe"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/andre-3000-outkast-jimi-hendrix-interview-20140926

André 3000 on Playing Jimi, Facebook Imposters and Bowing Out of Rap

"I honestly wish that I could make a dope rap album," Atlanta superstar says, "But I know it would be something else"

By Simon Vozick-Levinson | September 26, 2014

André 3000 first discovered Jimi Hendrix in the late Nineties, when he heard the guitarist's cover of "All Along the Watchtower" in a movie. "Those solos are excellent, man!" says the rapper and singer, who was best known at the time as Outkast's trippier half. "I didn't even know Bob Dylan wrote it at that point. Then I started digging into Jimi's catalog." More than a decade later, André has given a powerful starring performance in the Hendrix biopic Jimi: All Is by My Side, entering wide release this month. He called during a rare break from his 42-date reunion tour with Outkast – the duo's first tour since 2002. "I'm finally at home with a day to chill out," says André, 39. "Time to wash clothes and Netflix."

Did your love of Hendrix influence the music you made with Outkast?

Definitely. When you hear the guitar solo break out on "Bombs Over Baghdad," Jimi influenced that. One of the guys from our backing band played it. At the time – this is going to trip you out – the record company was like, "We've got to take that out. We should get Kid Rock to play it." No joke. They thought it would be a great marketing move.

Seriously? What happened?

I was like, "What?" I love Kid Rock, but I said, "I don't want to go for the name thing."

In the movie, you play Jimi in his midtwenties, on his first trip to London. Where was your head at when you were that age?

It felt like we were riding a nice wave . I was just wide-eyed, taking in the world, figuring out what life is about. In the studio all the time, producing all the time, writing all the time. It was fun. Then, of course, at 39 you figure out you really don't know anything.

Do you like being in your late thirties?

It's just a crossroads. I liken it to knowing that you have three months left in college, but you don't have any prospects. Up until recently, I was living out my high school dreams – that's when we started Outkast. This is the second half: my true adult, grown man life. What are my new dreams? What's André Benjamin's dream right now? What do I want to do? What do I want to say? What do I feel passionate about? It's very exciting and scary.

Your son Seven is 16. Is he different from what you were like as a teenager?

All teenagers are pretty much the same, but I think this generation is a lot cooler. He's not crazy about having to have the name-brand clothes or the new this or the new that. Race is not an issue with these kids. Sexuality is not an issue. They're hopeful. I think that's cool.

You've been known at times as a ladies' man. Have you ever been on Tinder?

Been on what?

It's a dating app for your phone.

I haven't really gotten into the social-media thing at all. I've never had a Twitter, I've never had a Facebook, I've never had Instagram or any of them. It's funny. People come up to me in the street, like, "Yeah, man, I've been following you. We've been talking." I'm like, "Man, that's somebody posing as me!" I've actually reached out to Facebook and Twitter and said, "Please take these people down who are imitating and posing as me," but they don't. They're shitty about it. I guess they just don't care.

What do you do for fun these days? Do you go out much?

I don't go to major concerts, but I like to go into small clubs and see what local people are doing. I'll go to the smallest, shittiest clubs, the dive bars, and see what's going on. That's where it's at.

Do people at the clubs recognize you?

Yeah. They come up and make pitches. Or they ask, "What are you doing here?" And I explain why I'm there, and they get it, and we just sit there and listen to music.

You've talked about feeling bored by hip-hop. Is that how you feel now?

Well, I'm not really bored by rap, per se. It's more that I'm bored with what I can do in rap. I'm always a fan – from the stupidest knucklehead rap to the quote-unquote lyrical gods, I listen to it all. I just don't know what else I can do with it.

Really? You must know how many people would love to hear a new rap album from you.

I understand it. People stick to ideas that they're familiar with. I mean, I honestly wish that I could make a dope rap album, but I know it would be something else. I've always known that there comes a time when you're just not as hip. It happens to everybody, and it has nothing to do with talent. It has to do with intensity and time and the world growing around you.

So what does excite you these days? Is it music, acting, something else?

Ah, man, I don't know. I'm at a stuck place.

Are you suffering from writer's block?

Nah, I write all the time. I jot down ideas and concepts – I'm into the pen to paper concept. I write on napkins, I write in my sketch pad. Maybe it's three words, or one sentence. But I'm not writing songs all the time.

You said recently that you don't get much out of performing live music anymore. So why did you agree to tour with Outkast this summer?

What I meant by that was, when you get out onstage and you're doing these songs that you wrote when you were 17, it's not the same. When I wrote those songs, it was fresh. I meant it at the time. Now, it's just words that you're spewing. But I do have fun onstage. I try to find new ways to perform those same verses. I'm into newness. I hate repetition.

So is this it? Is Outkast done after 2014?

You can never say never, but we have no plans to tour again. The show looks much better at 39 than it will at 60.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Maybe he can just be a ghostwriter, then?
Sep 26th 2014
this part kills me...
Sep 26th 2014
      Nah...Royal Flush and Lookin' For Ya both dropped after that
Sep 26th 2014
I don't need Andre to make a rap album. Any album.
Sep 26th 2014

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 02:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Maybe he can just be a ghostwriter, then?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-26-14 02:05 PM by spirit

"I mean, I honestly wish that I could make a dope rap album, but I know it would be something else."

I don't even know what to do with this. All dude has to do is add verses to a Big Boi album, the label can slap "Outkast" on the front and it's going to sell a million copies. The Big Boi solo albums have been great sonically, I've been dying for someone to sub out some of the Big Boi verses on there with Andre's guest verses with rappers not named Big Boi, so I can feel like I'm hearing a new Kast album.

The thing that kills me is, Big Boi is a better rapper than almost everyone Andre has collaborated with on his guest rapper sprees. Sigh.

At least he can ghostwrite for some of the newer acts. I'd buy a B.O.B. album written by Andre 3K. Ha.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

bc
Charter member
1183 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 03:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "this part kills me..."
In response to Reply # 1

>The thing that kills me is, Big Boi is a better rapper than
>almost everyone Andre has collaborated with on his guest
>rapper sprees. Sigh.

is International Players Anthem is their last official collab? hell of a way to go out tho..

respect,
bc

"my old boy from the Point but I'm from Southwest..."

"Are you really ready to carry some weight?,
Are you ready to design your fate?" -Kelvin Mercer

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 07:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Nah...Royal Flush and Lookin' For Ya both dropped after that"
In response to Reply # 2

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 07:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I don't need Andre to make a rap album. Any album."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think Andre can NOT rap. He tried with TLB and he still rapped here and there. Verses that I love too. I just want the man to put out something. I'll take TLB part 2. I'll take whatever. And if I don't like it. That's fine. I'll wait for the next one. I just want him to create something I can check out.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Lobby The Lesson topic #2902971 Previous topic | Next topic