Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2902820

Subject: "Someone Actually Told Lenny Kravitz To 'Get Rid Of The Guitar' (VIBE Swi..." Previous topic | Next topic
murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 08:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Someone Actually Told Lenny Kravitz To 'Get Rid Of The Guitar' (VIBE Swi..."
Thu Sep-25-14 12:31 PM by murph71

This was one of the more intriguing interviews I've had in a minute...Being black and a rock & roller has always been a crazy person's mission...When you make it (Jimi Hendrix) u are deemed otherworldly...A super Negro who has some natural mastery of the blues...But usually, black folks have been placed in a box on some "know your place!" shit when it comes to jumping in that rock world....Lenny Kravitz, while achieving that rare rock god success beyond race, understands this reality all too well...

I was always interested in asking the man what he thought of the uber negative reviews thrown his way early on in his career...The way critics claimed he was biting '60s rock (Let Love Rule= Beatles!!!!) so hard that he was a mere cliche...How hard was it being turned down by record labels because they wanted him to do R&B or sound like Prince....? Dude was very candid during our chat...Even if you are not a Lenny K. fan the story about his grind is worthy of a read...And he's a major STAN when it comes to Stevie Wonder's drumming...Who knew? Check it...

---

Someone Actually Told Lenny Kravitz To 'Get Rid Of The Guitar'
K. Murphy

Lenny Kravitz is 50. While you ponder that surreal piece of reality that proves Father Time can be a cheeky bastard, it's important to note that the seemingly forever young singer-songwriter-producer, who first hit the scene with his 1989 '60s rock inspired debut Let Love Rule, is still consumed by the music monster. His 10th studio album, Strut, is the first release off of his independent imprint Roxie Records, and it finds Kravitz visiting some familiar and foreign musical territory.

There's the straight ahead Lenny Kravitz classic rock mojo that has helped him sell over 40 million albums. Then there's the surprising slight nods to everything from Duran Duran to Cameo. VIBE sat down with the veteran artist, actor, and father of actress Zoe Kravitz to discuss everything from the eyebrow-raising inspiration behind Strut; the racial politics he had to endure in achieving his full blown rock star cred; and finally gaining acceptance in the black community to what makes Stevie Wonder, Prince and Paul McCartney the ultimate badass musicians.--Keith Murphy (@murphdogg29)

VIBE: Listening to some of the songs that have been released off of Strut, there seems to be a lot of things going on. I'm hearing a little Roxy Music meets Duran Duran on "The Chamber" I'm hearing some of that crunchy Lenny Kravitz guitar sound with a wink to the jabbing funk of the Ohio Players and Cameo on the title track "Strut." Were you in a late 70's, early '80s mindset during the recording of this album?

LENNY KRAVITZ: You know what? I didn't think about it, I just played. I create what I hear, but I definitely feel a lot of my high school era on "Strut." Those artist analogies that you mentioned were definitely part of that time. It definitely has a late 70's vibe and an early '80s feel. That time in my life really comes out on this record.

Strut is the first release off of your newly christened independent label Roxie Records, which is named after your late mother and legendary Jefferson's actress Roxie Roker. There is a certain freedom that comes with being independent. Can you describe the experience of owning and operating your own label vs. being on a major like Virgin?

I had great days back in the day with Virgin Records. Throughout my career we worked very well together. But with the way things have been evolving in the last years with technology and what not, I didn't think there was a need for a major label anymore once my contract was up. That I could work independently, set up a label, join forces with a distribution company is great. I always had a hand in the business, but now I can have more freedom with how the business goes and how the money is controlled. That's just the direction today. People are putting out music on their own. Kids are doing it...young bands. It's great for artists to have that control in their own hands.

There is some nasty bass being played on this album, especially on the title track "Strut."

It's just that funk. It's definitely a rock kind of tune, but like you said earlier it's in that Cameo way when they were blending rock and funk really well. It's about catching that groove where you are playing the least amount of notes and just keeping it real sparse. I was going for that space.

I always felt that you being an multi-instrumentalist was the most underrated part of your skill set. Do you get off showing that side of you as a pure player and is there one musician that makes you say, "Shit, I have to go back to the lab?"

First of all, thank you for the compliment. That's my thing. People always ask me why do you record so much by yourself. Are you a control freak? But it's not that at all. I love playing instruments. I have an absolute passion for playing. I wanted to be a studio musician when I was coming out of high school. I used to listen to all the records and read all the liner notes. I knew who played on what record...this drummer, that guitar player, this bassist and keyboardist. That was my whole world. So I was preparing myself to be a studio musician. One of the main guys that would become a big influence on my playing all the instruments is of course Stevie Wonder was a major influence on my drumming. People don't usually know Stevie as a great drummer. But on those records his drumming was so lyrical and beautiful.

I agree. Some of his best work on the drums was on the Innervisions album. He's acting a fool on that one.

Absolutely! And of course Prince who was also a major influence in terms of playing everything on record. And Paul McCartney's first solo album (1970's McCartney)...another guy who could play all the instruments and make it sound like a great band. That's what I was all about. And that's where I'm coming from. I love jumping from one instrument to the next and becoming a different person. Each instrument I play there's a different personality. It's fun...just like acting.

Take me back to your 1989 debut Let Love Rule. It is viewed as a classic album, but a lot of critics tried to pick you apart at that time for wearing the 60's sound of the Beatles and others on your sleeve. As a young artist how did you get through some of that harsh criticism you received early on in your career?

I knew they were tripping. Like any artist, whether it's the Stones or the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix or whoever, I wore my influences on my sleeve no more than any of them. And I wrote my own music. Now it's funny...you see some of my heroes, and I'm not talking shit because I adore them, but you look at a great group like Led Zeppelin and where they got a lot of there stuff from. It wasn't just borrowed, it was very exact. But I wasn't doing that. I had my influences; I was all over the place. The critics would say in one sentence, "Oh, he sounds like Hendrix; he sounds like the Beatles; he sounds like John Lennon; he sounds like this and that." They would name 20 artists that I sounded like, but obviously if you have to name 20 things I got my own sound.

You'd look at reviews back in the day...I saw Bob Marley reviews that were horrible. I can't even say one bad thing about Marley. I've seen Led Zeppelin reviews that were horrible. These are people that you grew up idolizing and then you read these negative reviews. Twenty years later, the music is classic. So it's all about timing. Just do your thing and it will all be revealed.

As a black artist, we all know how much of a battle it has always been in terms of breaking into rock & roll. I can think of yourself, Jimi Hendrix, early Funkadelic, Bad Brains, and Prince as musical figures who defied racial stereotypes and jumped head first into music that was seen in the so called white tradition. How hard was it for you to go to a record label at the start of your career and say, "This is the music I want to do?"

It was very difficult. When I was going around with my music people would say, "Okay, we know you are talented and we want to sign you, but you can't make that music. You got to do this kind of music." Whatever was happening in the R&B world at that time that's what they wanted me to do. I would hear, "You have to get rid of the guitars." But I didn't give in and that's why I didn't get a deal at age 17, 18, 19, or 20. I got my record deal when I was 23 because I waited. I had contracts in my face with a pen like, "Sign this, brother. What's wrong with you? We going to give you all this bread and make you famous."

But I wouldn't do it, and at that time I was living a Ford Pinto. So I don't know what made me hold on. I wanted to be me, but when you are being offered recording deals at 17 and you are living in your car you would think I would be like, "Alright, whatever...I'll make the music y'all want me to make. Let me get this money." But I didn't, and I thank God, because you wouldn't be talking to me today. I would have made one album and it would have been over.

On the flipside, how gratifying was it having records like, "I Belong to You" and "It Over Til' It's Over" become such a huge hits with R&B fans?

It was great to being embraced by the community. Music is for everybody. But hearing my music *on R&B radio stations* that really was a great moment for me.

The word is you were inspired to record a cover of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles "Ooo Baby Baby" for Strut after you heard the song while being in a makeup chair for the Hunger Games: Catching Fire film. What turns you on about that classic Smokey-penned track and if you could have toured with any Motown artist who would it be?

Oh God, the Jackson 5 *laughs*. I actually saw them in '71 at the Garden when I was a kid.

You lost your nappy headed mind didn't you?

Yeah, man. And that was the first concert my dad took me to. I was blown. And you know who opened? The Commodores! They weren't even called the Commodores, yet. I ended up working with Lionel years ago and I told him about that show and he was like, "Yeah Lenny...we didn't even have a name." And I chose Smokey's "Ooo Baby Baby" because I heard it that day in the makeup chair and I hadn't heard it years. It was just a reminder of how beautiful it was. It hit me like the first time I was hearing it.

So I'm looking at some of the press photos for Strut. Tell the truth, you are not really 50. You trolling us, right?

Absolutely. Age is all in your head, man. I'm a young man...I'm just getting into my prime. I'm not worried about it. My mom wasn't worried about it; my grandfather wasn't worried about it. My grandfather looked 31 years younger than he was. Like I said, it's all in your head...and in the genes *laughs*.

link: http://www.vibe.com/article/someone-actually-told-lenny-kravitz-get-rid-guitar

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Someone Actually Told Lenny Kravitz To 'Get Rid Of The Guitar' (VIBE...
Sep 25th 2014
RE: Someone Actually Told Lenny Kravitz To 'Get Rid Of The Guitar' (VIBE...
Sep 25th 2014
same here i own the first 5 as well. havnt really checked after tht
Sep 25th 2014
      I agree. I liked "Fly Away" with the album, but then it became a hit and...
Sep 25th 2014
dude is fucking 50? crazy
Sep 25th 2014
Great piece and Lenny's having fun again as well
Sep 25th 2014
if he had 'sounded like Prince'
Sep 25th 2014
Or Georgio
Sep 25th 2014
Exotic Storm, Jak, Or Kopper...WHO?
Sep 26th 2014
      all acts that vaguely 'sounded like Prince'
Sep 27th 2014
I had to concentrate on that interview, didn't know who was who at first
Sep 25th 2014
RE: I had to concentrate on that interview, didn't know who was who at f...
Sep 25th 2014
I still like the album he produced/wrote for Vanessa Paradis the most...
Sep 25th 2014
that was my shit back then
Sep 25th 2014
That Cree Summer is very underrated too, personal classic
Sep 27th 2014
his last few albums have been pretty cool imo
Sep 25th 2014
lenny has a funny critical rep
Sep 26th 2014
I think...
Sep 26th 2014
I Agree To The Upmost
Sep 26th 2014
the led zep issue is a bit of a tired comparison
Sep 27th 2014
The zep-hate is rooted in something different IMO...
Sep 27th 2014
      RE: The zep-hate is rooted in something different IMO...
Sep 27th 2014
           Yep!!!!
Sep 27th 2014
           RE: Yep!!!!
Sep 27th 2014
Sep 27th 2014
                Do people even think about Mick Collins as ''black rock''?
Sep 27th 2014
                who makes 'black rock' then, these days?
Sep 27th 2014
                     no, I don't think it has too much meaning anymore...
Sep 27th 2014
                          i think there was even a time when lenny was deemed not
Sep 27th 2014
                               Lenny was considered Black Rock. In the early 90's.
Sep 27th 2014
Sep 27th 2014
                     i dont disagree
Sep 27th 2014
RE: I think...
Sep 27th 2014
he mentioned that on Stern this week
Sep 26th 2014
Agree with this:
Sep 26th 2014
      RE: Agree with this:
Sep 27th 2014
Did anyone catch his iTunes fest set?
Sep 26th 2014

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 12:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Someone Actually Told Lenny Kravitz To 'Get Rid Of The Guitar' (VIBE..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'll def check this out later. I own his first 5 albums. Haven't checked for him much since the late 90s. I know he just released a new album too. You heard it?

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 12:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Someone Actually Told Lenny Kravitz To 'Get Rid Of The Guitar' (VIBE..."
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah...it's just OK...Nothing that is setting the world on fire...The real buzz is that he's doing a lot more stuff outside of his "Lenny" comfort zone....

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "same here i own the first 5 as well. havnt really checked after tht"
In response to Reply # 1

but the album 5 was dope

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 04:23 PM

9. "I agree. I liked "Fly Away" with the album, but then it became a hit and..."
In response to Reply # 3

...it made a shift. Liked "American Woman" before it was added to 5 and I lost interest after that.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 12:38 PM

4. "dude is fucking 50? crazy"
In response to Reply # 0

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 03:26 PM

5. "Great piece and Lenny's having fun again as well"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-25-14 03:28 PM by revolution75

Im gonna gloss over the it's ok statement Mr AOA!!

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 03:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "if he had 'sounded like Prince'"
In response to Reply # 0

we'd be talking about him like we do Exotic Storm, Jak or Kopper.

(no Maxxx-o)

revolution75
3372 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 04:08 PM

7. "Or Georgio"
In response to Reply # 6

He wouldn't have lasted this long if he took that route
Although what drew me to him 25 years ago (his record dropped same day as rhythm nation) was the psychedelic P comparison in the RS review.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 06:08 PM

17. "Exotic Storm, Jak, Or Kopper...WHO?"
In response to Reply # 6

>we'd be talking about him like we do Exotic Storm,
>Jak or Kopper.

Who are these kats, I know you are saying right now "my point exactly" but I haven't seen you guys talk about these kats I as long as I've been diggin' I've never heard of any of them, the only Kopper I know is Al Kopper of Blues Project & BST.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 10:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
37. "all acts that vaguely 'sounded like Prince'"
In response to Reply # 17

from the mid/later 80s.... that's what Lenny would have been if he went that route.

IMO he'd sound like a BROKE Jesse Johnson in the process, glad he didn't do that and went the route he did

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 04:22 PM

8. "I had to concentrate on that interview, didn't know who was who at first"
In response to Reply # 0

It had taken a few attempts for me to complete, but a good interview nonetheless.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 04:26 PM

10. "RE: I had to concentrate on that interview, didn't know who was who at f..."
In response to Reply # 8

yeah...when I do a cut and paste on this site the bolding doesn't show up...

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 05:40 PM

11. "I still like the album he produced/wrote for Vanessa Paradis the most..."
In response to Reply # 0

Compared with his other stuff, it sounded like a very tasteful pastiche of 60's music; I even dug her Velvet Underground-cover. And Vanessa was a babe with a sexy voice; very french even when singing in english.

As for Lenny himself, I've only heard the first four and the first two are *slightly* underrated today (the next two I found horrendous, especially ''Circus''). The underrated part is mostly because people are praising indie-bands for sounding just like Joy Division or whoever and doing a pretty bad job at it whereas Kravitz frequently gets dissed and ridiculed when his best music was actually well-written and well-crafted (a bit too much so; it sounded like "classic rock"/soul/Beatles updated for the "stylish" photo-model set; compare with, say, prime Black Crowes who were just as "retro"and unimaginative but actually sounded "correct").

Overall though, a bit too much of this stylish pastiche-artist for my tastes. It's like "Oh, this song is Hendrix and this is Lennon and this is Mayfield" and so on. I find it strange that he interprets the idea that people compared him with numerous different artists as him being original or distinctive; rather, he put one derivative genre-exercise next to the other.

Whatever, I dug the first two albums at the time and he doesn't really deserve the vitriol he gets from "serious" rock-fans even if songs like "Fly away", "Are you gonna go my way" and that fucking Guess Who-cover are pretty lame. I think people would respect him more if they heard the deep album-cuts rather than just the hits that has frequently been kind of awful...

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 06:59 PM

12. "that was my shit back then"
In response to Reply # 11

>Compared with his other stuff, it sounded like a very
>tasteful pastiche of 60's music; I even dug her Velvet
>Underground-cover. And Vanessa was a babe with a sexy voice;
>very french even when singing in english.
>
>As for Lenny himself, I've only heard the first four and the
>first two are *slightly* underrated today (the next two I
>found horrendous, especially ''Circus''). The underrated part
>is mostly because people are praising indie-bands for sounding
>just like Joy Division or whoever and doing a pretty bad job
>at it whereas Kravitz frequently gets dissed and ridiculed
>when his best music was actually well-written and well-crafted
>(a bit too much so; it sounded like "classic
>rock"/soul/Beatles updated for the "stylish" photo-model set;
>compare with, say, prime Black Crowes who were just as
>"retro"and unimaginative but actually sounded "correct").
>
>Overall though, a bit too much of this stylish pastiche-artist
>for my tastes. It's like "Oh, this song is Hendrix and this is
>Lennon and this is Mayfield" and so on. I find it strange that
>he interprets the idea that people compared him with numerous
>different artists as him being original or distinctive;
>rather, he put one derivative genre-exercise next to the
>other.
>
>Whatever, I dug the first two albums at the time and he
>doesn't really deserve the vitriol he gets from "serious"
>rock-fans even if songs like "Fly away", "Are you gonna go my
>way" and that fucking Guess Who-cover are pretty lame. I think
>people would respect him more if they heard the deep
>album-cuts rather than just the hits that has frequently been
>kind of awful...

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 02:11 AM

21. "That Cree Summer is very underrated too, personal classic"
In response to Reply # 11

<================================
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4837778/william-moore-wwe-tackle-o.gif

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 08:22 PM

13. "his last few albums have been pretty cool imo"
In response to Reply # 0

"It Is Time For A Love Revolution" was some of his most organic n consistent stuff since "5" i rekn. worth checking out.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 10:57 AM

14. "lenny has a funny critical rep"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-26-14 11:19 AM by GumDrops

hes always been popular but hes never been original, hes just a great stylist (and i say that not as a dis as i love a good stylist, and lenny knows how to write songs too, and hes a brilliant producer)

these days, or since that greg tate feature in vibe some years back, theres a new effort to reclaim him as part of the black rock tradition
which is cool (though hes never been a hendrix or even a ttd, who was much more original), and while i think race def had a part in critics hating him so much (even now i see negative reviews of the reissues), i think a lot of that was due to his pretty boy-ness, same with TTD in the UK, who was not just pretty, but arrogant too in interviews, like if youre a black rocker, they want you to be humble, theres a power play at work, a higher standard to meet if youre a black rocker operating in white rock circles... (though saying that, there were quite a few black rockers who were acclaimed during the same period like living colour, ar kane, or bad brains etc)

really though, lenny is more like a black noel gallagher, just less lumpen lol

he was something of an innovator in cool style-mag rock pastiche, he was making great soulless copies when people still expected you to do something new/express some personality in popular music/rock n roll... maybe that was his mistake... apart from being kinda corny, he just did the retro pastiche thing too early.

revolution75
3372 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 02:00 PM

15. "I think..."
In response to Reply # 14
Fri Sep-26-14 02:06 PM by revolution75

Lenny might have said it in the vibe interview or a recent one that everyone wears their influences on their sleeves at one time or another.
He points to led zep's downright thievery of blues artists getting a pass by critics

Why folks ride him so much for it baffles me
I think he gets more respect for who he is outside of the us
Due to the retro-rock star/sex symbol thing, I think his musicianship gets overlooked
Groundbreaking? Hell no...never will be and that's ok.
He is who he is and 25 years later, I can tell when it's a Lenny record

Hell r&b Jesus D'Angelo rides the same retro highway Lenny rides and gets a pass as well.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 07:01 PM

19. "I Agree To The Upmost "
In response to Reply # 15

>He is who he is and 25 years later,
>I can tell when it's a Lenny record
>Hell r&b Jesus D'Angelo rides the same retro highway
>Lenny rides and gets a pass as well.

People just love to pick & choose who they will pick as the fall guy when he's just as good as the next guy who the praise.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 02:56 AM

23. "the led zep issue is a bit of a tired comparison"

cos yeah, led zeppelin did steal from a lot of artists (and everyone steals, but they were quite liberal in stealing from a lot of genres), but you cant put their songs next to the songs they took from and say they sound all that similar, even if they stole the riff, or the lyrics, or whatever. it *usually* sounds quite different. jimmy page wasnt trying to make a blues record that sounded just like it was made in a particular period from several decades earlier.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 06:57 AM

24. "The zep-hate is rooted in something different IMO..."
In response to Reply # 23

"Everyone" steals, that's a given more-or-less. However, if you are familiar with the backstory of zeppelin with guys like infamous manager/negotiator Peter Grant, roadie Richard Cole and Zeppelin's (=Page more-or-less) own demands and shit, you know that their attitude was kind of like "What Zeppelin wants, Zeppelin gets". If it means old blues-riffs/lyrics, entire folk-songs or thirteen year old girls doesn't matter really; that was the vibe.

Combine that with them having a multi-million industry behind them and them becoming the biggest rock-band in the world within a year or two (Stones were actually not close in terms of record-sales and concert attendances) and you get this vision of decadent rock-aristocrats steamrolling over poor black blues-musicians and obscure folk-singers, just taking what they want just because they could. I think that's originally where it comes because Rolling Stone and mags like that were quite annoyed by the band initially for the reasons explained above; when other acts stole, it was a tribute to tradition and influences but when Zeppelin did it, it was the big corporate monster crushing the little man.

But yes, especially many of Zep's blues-thefts would most likely have passed unnoticed had Plant not chosen to incorporate lyrics from the original recordings. Their IMO best tune "When the levee breaks" for example, it's not too easy to recognize the source-material there musically and the drum-pattern and riff kind of makes it their own song, I'm not mad at them for tracks like those.

The most ridiculous example is probably "Bring it on home" on the second album which at the core is an original Zeppelin hard-rock tune with an ace riff but the beginning and ending has Plant singing an old blues tune while blowing harmonica and its just so unnecessary but, again, that's that attitude they had:just take anything and credit it to Zeppelin.

BTW, there were actually quite a bit of "heavy blooze" covers in that era that had quite original arrangements and riffs (see Cactus' "Evil" or Foghat's killer version of "I just want to make love to you" for good examples) but those far less successful band had the decency to credit the original songwriters regardless of how much they rearranged the tunes so the recontextualizatrion bit isn't really an excuse; Zeppelin was playing by different rules because they could and that's the root of the problem I think.

That said, people just shitting on Zeppelin by default has become something of a tired cliche, especially since the context is missing and it often just boils down to "white men stealing black music" when it's more complex than that; they stole from white artists too!

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 10:02 AM

26. "RE: The zep-hate is rooted in something different IMO..."
In response to Reply # 24

>That said, people just shitting on Zeppelin by default has
>become something of a tired cliche, especially since the
>context is missing and it often just boils down to "white men
>stealing black music" when it's more complex than that; they
>stole from white artists too!

Yeah...I hear u...I'm a Zep fan....Got most of their albums...got some live performances on video....Think they had the sickest rhythm section in rock at that time...

But that doesn't take away from the fact that a lot of white rock acts got lauded for reinventing the wheel when it came to tapping into music in the black tradition...

Lenny's point was that black (rock) acts are expected to be otherworldly...They got to project that Voodoo Chile' aura....Jimmy P. and his crew were caught several times lifting actual blues joints...No harm now given the fact that they broke them blues cats off with bread after being taken to court....

But u get the idea....To dismiss Zep and the like as straight vultures is over the top... Them boys put in work...But Lenny spit that truth...Said the same thing about Jack White, too...

It's interesting to say the least...

revolution75
3372 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 10:46 AM

27. "Yep!!!!"
In response to Reply # 26
Sat Sep-27-14 10:48 AM by revolution75

I agree with all of that
When he mentioned Zep, he wasn't taking a shot at them.
He has the utmost love and respect for them
It was to say what you said about the critical double standard

Side question: Did he come across as a "rock star poser" to you?

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 10:58 AM

28. "RE: Yep!!!!"
In response to Reply # 27

rock star poser?

Nah...dude was genuine as hell....He seems to really project that rock star aura without even trying...

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 11:45 AM

29. "RE: The zep-hate is rooted in something different IMO..."
In response to Reply # 26

>Lenny's point was that black (rock) acts are expected to be
>otherworldly...They got to project that Voodoo Chile'
>aura....

theyre not on a mainsteam level like lenny was/is, but where do you see guys like mick collins, tv on the radio, santigold, bloc party, ar kane, dev hynes, or the afropunk guys? just curious.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 12:36 PM

30. "Do people even think about Mick Collins as ''black rock''?"
In response to Reply # 29

Obvioulsy, the music he makes is rooted in black rock (or R&B/rock'n'roll/blues and in some cases soul) but in a black rock (tm) context, it precedes Hendix who seems to be ground zero for "black rock". Alternatively, it ashould be "funky".

It might be a bit of a stretch but if some black guy came out today sounding like a more "modern rock" Bo Diddley, people would say he was doing Stones or garage rock; sad but true...

Basically, that old rhythm&blues/black rock'n'roll/arly soul vibe; I don't think people perceive it as "black music" anymore regardless of how cool it might be to reference the old artists as examples of how white people ripped off black rock. It has been reduced to something you reference for socio-political purposes rather than something viewed as black music... And yes, there are obvious reasons for that, just saying that I've never really seen Mick Collins various projects linked with the "black rock" aesthetic and he's IMO the best black rock-artist of the past 25 years which is why it kind of saddens me even if it's not really in my right to say something...

If a black band comes out sounding like RHCPs though-Now *that's* black rock (tm)!!!

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 12:41 PM

31. "who makes 'black rock' then, these days?"
In response to Reply # 30
Sat Sep-27-14 12:45 PM by GumDrops

i keep thinking bruno mars. and thats not a dis.

i think black rock is kind of a nebulous term, it could just as easily be written as funk-rock.

i get what youre saying (little richard, chuck berry et al are sort of seen as belonging much more to the (white) rock tradition than jazz or R&B artists of the same period, so much as i dream about bilal covering little richard songs, i know it will probably never happen), but even for things like the black rock coalition, or afro punk, the remit is so wide, and could include everything from the gories to tv on the radio, so im not sure theres a precise criteria for it, even if on this board, it tends to mean post-hendrix rock n soul or funk-rock.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 12:48 PM

32. "no, I don't think it has too much meaning anymore..."
In response to Reply # 31

I tend to view it from this Living Colour/Fishbone/late (NOT early) 80's Bad Brains/24-7 spyz/freaky fukin werdoes/mindfunk/etc. "funky" alternative heavy perspective which hasn't really been relevant for 100 years.

At the same time however, it seems to be more attempts to claim TV on the Radio or even Bloc Party as "black rock" than Mick Collins. Shit, you might as well call Suffocation or Crackdust (Botswanian death metal band in the vein of Cannibal corpse) black rock then because that's about as "stereotypically" black music as Bloc Party sound...

The afro-punk thing meanwhile, I'm not sure I know what it means in terms of *sound*...

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 01:11 PM

33. "i think there was even a time when lenny was deemed not "
In response to Reply # 32
Sat Sep-27-14 01:17 PM by GumDrops

funky or soulful enough (even in spite of it aint over etc) to be considered black rock.... (never mind bad brains etc etc and tvotr who iirc in the past seemed to lol at people trying to call their music 'black music') so yeah, its a term that always seems to be in flux. but i dont think its about a sound really... at least not anymore. that time/movement has passed. the afro punk artists ive heard, their artists' sound is so broad that its hard to really say what it is except to say that it isnt R&B or rap. its not especially punky either so...

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13963 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 04:42 PM

35. "Lenny was considered Black Rock. In the early 90's. "
In response to Reply # 33

He just didn't have to associate with the scene because he "crossed-over".

Just like the Afro-punk scene today, there were lot's of different sounds in the late 80's early 90's Black Rock scene.

Living Colour dominated and there was lots of hard rock heavy metal influence but funksters (without the metal) and reggae influenced and R&B influenced bands/artists were in the scene.

This band The Breathing Light who I found out about in this locked Lesson post:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2902349&mesg_id=2902349&page=3

seems to be a good example of what I would expect the old Black Rock scene to have transformed into in the now Afro-punk era:

Lilquoy moon

http://vimeo.com/40374851

Real

http://vimeo.com/40375431

Friends (Pansy)

http://vimeo.com/29536979

Nothing at all

http://vimeo.com/16412458

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 04:36 PM

34. "RE: The zep-hate is rooted in something different IMO..."
In response to Reply # 29
Sat Sep-27-14 04:37 PM by murph71

>>Lenny's point was that black (rock) acts are expected to be
>>otherworldly...They got to project that Voodoo Chile'
>>aura....
>
>theyre not on a mainsteam level like lenny was/is, but where
>do you see guys like mick collins, tv on the radio, santigold,
>bloc party, ar kane, dev hynes, or the afropunk guys? just
>curious.

I think a lot of the acts u named are critical darlings who are left field enough to get respect...They are not huge commercial sellers so it's easy for critics to laud them as underdogs....

But when it comes to an act like Lenny, who has sold more than 40 million albums, he is expected by a lot of white critics to be much more than a global rock star....He doesn't get the same passes as say Jack White or the Black Keys....I agree that he has been blatant with his influences. I've criticized him for some of his work in the past. But it seems like the whole jabbing of Kravitz for wearing his influences on his sleeve was over the top...

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 05:45 PM

36. "i dont disagree "
In response to Reply # 34
Sat Sep-27-14 05:52 PM by GumDrops

the hatred he gets can be very strong, rather than people just taking shots for laughs, but then ive also read a lot of derisive stuff about oasis, the strokes, white stripes, libertines, interpol, arctic monkeys and a dozen others being too retro/lazy etc.

the thing is, while i am actually a lenny fan (ive seen him live a few times, and enjoyed it), he is unashamedly cheesy and derivative lol. e.g - im listening to sex from this new album for the first time, with its blatant steals from bowie's fashion, and wondering why he just doesnt get what people are talking about. see, the thing about lenny is that he doesnt borrow from 'cool' or obscure sounds like jack white did (punk, garage, rural blues, etc) or the strokes or interpol, he takes from the popular stuff that everyone knows and is canonised! hes like the rock puffy.

makes me think of something i read in a review of the new prince album where the reviewer dislikes a song as it sounds like prince doing kravitz and then he remembers that actually he likes lenny more than he wants to admit lol.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 08:06 AM

25. "RE: I think..."

>Why folks ride him so much for it baffles me
>I think he gets more respect for who he is outside of the us
>Due to the retro-rock star/sex symbol thing, I think his
>musicianship gets overlooked

The problem with Lenny is that there's no there there - it's not just that he's either a) wearing influences on his sleeves (like a lot of the neo-soul folks) or b) stealing and incorporating shit directly into original stuff (like Zep) ... it's that he's the copying has always seemed to be pretty much *all* there is... and on top of that, while I'm sure he's a better musician than people know, very little of it has come through on record. On record he tends to sound fine. Which is a perfectly good word for Lenny: he's fine.

But I'm someone who loves to joke about how much I hate his music, and to some degree it's true... (which is odd for me, because I usually find things to like about just about anything, music-wise). But if I stop joking and am serious for a minute, what gets under my skin about Kravitz is that he seems so empty of anything substantial. It's all style, it's all pose, and it's mediocre style and pose at that. It's the total package that bothers me, not any one piece.

His first two records were, imo, his best. There you can sense a lot more attention to the craft of the music. The aesthetic, the shine seemed to come out of that, not before it. The homage felt authentic and thoughtful. Get much later though and he just seems like a giant tool with pretty mediocre shit.

>
>Hell r&b Jesus D'Angelo rides the same retro highway Lenny
>rides and gets a pass as well.

Except that with D'Angelo, he was able to pull the heavy influences on his stuff together into something pretty original, *especially* on Voodoo (but I'd argue on Brown Sugar, too). Like other folks who get hit for sounding too much like a given time period or a given artist but still get acclaim, D created his own *musical* sound that felt genuine, even if its influences were easy to trace...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 02:35 PM

16. "he mentioned that on Stern this week"

>hes always been popular but hes never been original, hes just
>a great stylist

how he has always got criticized for being derivative bit folks like Jack White get acclaim

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 06:51 PM

18. "Agree with this:"

>
>he was something of an innovator in cool style-mag rock
>pastiche, he was making great soulless copies when people
>still expected you to do something new/express some
>personality in popular music/rock n roll... maybe that was his
>mistake... apart from being kinda corny, he just did the retro
>pastiche thing too early.

Had he come out a decade or so later, I suspect that magazines like Mojo and Uncut would have went crazy over him even if he would have needed to scrap the more cock-rockish tunes which he probably would have done anyway if he came out later but whatever...
>

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 02:47 AM

22. "RE: Agree with this:"
In response to Reply # 18

>
>>
>>he was something of an innovator in cool style-mag rock
>>pastiche, he was making great soulless copies when people
>>still expected you to do something new/express some
>>personality in popular music/rock n roll... maybe that was
>his
>>mistake... apart from being kinda corny, he just did the
>retro
>>pastiche thing too early.
>
>Had he come out a decade or so later, I suspect that magazines
>like Mojo and Uncut would have went crazy over him even if he
>would have needed to scrap the more cock-rockish tunes which
>he probably would have done anyway if he came out later but
>whatever...
>>

in a way, music has come round to the lenny kravitz way of thinking.

i think the fact he wasnt just retro but ripping off the most popular artists from old rock n soul didnt help his cause. noel gallager got slack for that when oasis did that years later, but oasis werent as interested in the period details like lenny, who studied books on old production etc... lenny should do more producing really. he could have been a mark ronson kinda guy. theres a lot of people doing retro production like him, and whenever lenny tries to sound modern, it usually sounds a bit weak.

revolution75
3372 posts
Fri Sep-26-14 10:15 PM

20. "Did anyone catch his iTunes fest set?"
In response to Reply # 0

It was a great show!!!

Glad to see Cindy Blackmon Santana back with him!!

I took for granted that he's 25 years into his career and has hits!!!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2902820 Previous topic | Next topic