Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2901894

Subject: "Cassette Culture with Stretch Armstrong" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Thu Sep-18-14 09:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cassette Culture with Stretch Armstrong"

Welcome to Cassette Culture, a column devoted to the content and context of audio cassette tapes.

First, let me introduce myself. I’m a born-and-raised New Yorker who fell in love with the sounds of the city at a young age. I went from The Beatles, Elton John and Fleetwood Mac to Queen, The Police, The Clash and Talking Heads to Chic, Stevie Wonder and Donna Summer to Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, Black Uhuru, Kurtis Blow and Run-DMC and finally to the vast world of underground music, 12-inch vinyl and DJing.

In 1990 I adapted the moniker Stretch Armstrong in the tradition of some of my favorite hip-hop DJs taking names from comic books or superheroes (Flash, Clark Kent, Richie Rich). I also befriended a Def Jam employee named Bobbito Garcia who, in October of that year, joined me on the radio on Columbia University’s WKCR. For nearly a decade we produced a radio show which gave the world unsigned or as-yet-unheard future rap stars like Nas, The Notorious B.I.G., Jay-Z, Eminem, Big L, Cam’ron, Fat Joe, Big Pun, Mobb Deep, Common and many more. The Source magazine voted it the Best Hip-Hop Radio Show of All Time, a flattering (though slightly embarrassing) accolade. Through the 90's and beyond I wore many hats in music but always considered myself a DJ first. That’s true to this day.

Now, let’s talk cassettes.
https://medium.com/cuepoint/cassette-culture-with-stretch-armstrong-73e1a14652ea

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2901894 Previous topic | Next topic