Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2900925

Subject: "Got my first taste of The Sea And Cake" Previous topic | Next topic
adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 11:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Got my first taste of The Sea And Cake"

And I like. Listened to Car Alarm on a whim, and found them to be innovative and dope. I hate sometimes starting with a new group out of the blue, but you can't always control how you get intro'd to them. My question going forward is where do I go next? Should I just start from the beginning and go from there? What's the best/worst album? Looking forward to suggestions. Thx.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Their most recent album (Runner) is one of their more diverse.
Sep 10th 2014
Can't go wrong!
Sep 10th 2014
Thanks to u both
Sep 11th 2014

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 12:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Their most recent album (Runner) is one of their more diverse."
In response to Reply # 0

It was my pick for album of the year in 2012.

But most long time fans would say the Fawn and Oui are their best overall records.

They haven't ever really made a bad record. I have soft spots for the Biz and Everybody, but I realize most people would consider those second tier albums in the band's catalogue.

Some essential tracks (skipping Car Alarm, which you already know):
"Jacking the Ball"
"Parasol"
"Leeora"
"Sporting Life"
"The Argument"
"Do Now Fairly Well"
"Afternoon Speaker"
"All the Photos"
"An Echo In"
"Four Corners"
"Hotel Tell"
"Crossing Line"
"Inn Keeping"
"Harps"
"Harbors"
"New Patterns"

They're one of my favorite bands.

``they asked me what the meek would get. picture me: afraid to answer.``

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2014/193910

farbod
Member since Dec 12th 2002
4153 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 12:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Can't go wrong!"
In response to Reply # 0

Man, what an oddly consistent band. Everything to some degree or another has that weird balance of poignancy and effervescence, and you're always kinda charmed by it.

Personally I lean towards Oui and One Bedroom. It's during their more electroacoustic-era, but moreso the melodies on those two are just fucking catchy. Also the pacing and variety of tempos make them the most cohesive and balanced for me.

Of the earlier stuff I prefer The Biz. It's probably the most spacious and jazzy of the first three, but all them jams are worth hearing. Prekop's voice is weirder and looser on those and you might totally prefer that.

My least favorite might be Everybody. I guess it came a while after One Bedroom and they had completely dropped all the electronics. There's nothing particularly bad about it, just not as arresting as the others. Moonlight Butterfly I think I liked better than Car Alarm or Runner as far as the newer stuff.

Really though, the first two Sam Prekop solo records are monsters. Go listen to the song C+F and just say fuuuuuuuck. IMO they're better than all S&C.

-------
www.geographic-north.com

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Thu Sep-11-14 12:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Thanks to u both"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll be sure to follow your advice. Maybe I'll up after I peep.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

Lobby The Lesson topic #2900925 Previous topic | Next topic