Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2900793

Subject: "Kind of wanting to start an OKP beatmaker consortium." Previous topic | Next topic
Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 02:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kind of wanting to start an OKP beatmaker consortium."

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about forming a production crew or ever collaborating. Moreso, I'm just thinking if maybe a few of us who are of the same pursuit could just bounce ideas off of each other.

Now, let me explain the genesis for this. I don't know about other budding producers like myself around here, but getting productive feedback is difficult as hell.

Trying to get it from the various online outlets is extremely difficult unless you're part of one of the cliques that run most online forums. Then, you have to sift through the opinions from the cats who just want to burst bubbles because it's so easy to do when you don't have to show face.

THEN, you have the cats who think that they're "next to blow", so, they don't have the time to waste listening to anyone else's material who doesn't have a major placement under their belt.

I can't get it from my friends who "used" to produce because the black man's pride is something strong with them. You know how it goes: because they gave it up and you stuck with it, rather than give you props for your growth, they prefer to either act lukewarm or keep reiterating, "Yeah, I need to get back into it.", without ever listening to the joint that you asked them to check out. But, in the same breath, will say that we need to work together.

There are some cats who I've heard that same story from for years on end.

So, I come to my fellow Lessonheads to find out who might be interested in just forming some kind of collective where, if you just finished a beat, track, song, etc.., you have a select few individuals that you KNOW will listen to your shit and proivde you with "constructive" feedback.

Obviously, we could do it on the producers forum around here, but I was moreso thinking about using something like a WhatsApp or GroupMe, since most of us are attached to our phones by the hip or pocket and it makes it easier to give something a listen while on the go, etc...

If anyone is interested, please reply and we could maybe start exchanging information via inbocks.

So, who's with me?

As an example, here's a post that I contributed to on another forum where I just gave a random cat feedback:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=419543&p=5863075#p5863075

Now, I don't expect everyone to be as detailed as I was, but, that's just to give an idea of what I have in mind.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think that would actually be really tight to do in person
Sep 08th 2014
Wish I was...
Sep 08th 2014
      You all are welcome to come to Beijing to meet
Sep 09th 2014
           Thanks for the invite.
Sep 10th 2014
So, another aspect of this I wanted to explore...
Sep 08th 2014
I think this is the most important thing..
Sep 11th 2014
      RE: I think this is the most important thing..
Sep 15th 2014
I'd def like to do something like this
Sep 09th 2014
Well, we've got three of us in agreement in total...
Sep 10th 2014
Herbie!
Sep 11th 2014
      RE: Herbie!
Sep 17th 2014
that sounds like a great idea! i would love to join
Sep 11th 2014
RE: Kind of wanting to start an OKP beatmaker consortium.
Sep 11th 2014
RE: Kind of wanting to start an OKP beatmaker consortium.
Sep 15th 2014
i'm down
Sep 12th 2014
umm OKP already has that...get over there and make it happen
Sep 12th 2014
Yes, there is a forum.
Sep 15th 2014
      no shade..its a great idea...send me a link
Sep 25th 2014
           Not at all!
Sep 27th 2014
Ok. I've created a soundcloud group.
Sep 15th 2014
what's the soundcloud page name?
Dec 07th 2014
lemme get that groupme invite, lord
Dec 08th 2014
All those who submitted interest have been inbocksed.
Sep 15th 2014
GroupMe channel has been created.
Sep 15th 2014
Just a heads up...
Sep 16th 2014
RE: Just a heads up...
Sep 16th 2014
      Thanks.
Sep 16th 2014
I submitted a track to the group but I made it private..
Sep 20th 2014
I can't see it.
Sep 20th 2014
      RE: I can't see it.
Sep 21st 2014
           RE: I can't see it.
Sep 24th 2014
im down
Sep 20th 2014
Sorry for the delay on getting that info to you...
Dec 08th 2014
      I've Still Haven't Understood That Following
Dec 09th 2014
           They're buying listens...
Dec 11th 2014
Hey this is going on if you still want to join...
Dec 07th 2014
RE: Hey this is going on if you still want to join...
Dec 07th 2014
count me in, as well
Dec 07th 2014
Hey Remedial...
Dec 08th 2014
Cool.
Dec 08th 2014
I'm down. Inbox the info.
Dec 09th 2014

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Mon Sep-08-14 05:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I think that would actually be really tight to do in person"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-08-14 05:50 PM by amplifya7

If there was some type of space where people could play tracks they're working on/finished with and any comments along with it that they want feedback on, and whoever else is there can give feedback/thoughts

Every producers event I've ever seen is either a showcase or a competition...which are cool, but a 'consortium' as you put it would be really cool. I imagine it more like a small/low key red bull music academy mixed with beat society

Any chance you're in Philly?

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Sep-08-14 06:07 PM

2. "Wish I was..."
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Sep-08-14 06:09 PM by Remedial

>If there was some type of space where people could play
>tracks they're working on/finished with and any comments along
>with it that they want feedback on, and whoever else is there
>can give feedback/thoughts
>
>Every producers event I've ever seen is either a showcase or a
>competition...which are cool, but a 'consortium' as you put it
>would be really cool. I imagine it more like a small/low key
>red bull music academy mixed with beat society
>
>Any chance you're in Philly?

Instead, out here in Miami. But, truth be told, although I am with you on the local thing being way more interactive, I do think that something via the web could also be VERY functional as long as we keep it small. Let's say, if we could get a SOLID like 6-10 cats, that's enough folks where we could do a Google Talk or Skype group meeting.

If we say, set a Friday deadline for any tracks that anyone wants to have critiqued, and a Sunday meetup time, then, we all can be on the same page.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 02:25 AM

5. "You all are welcome to come to Beijing to meet"
In response to Reply # 2

if it's convenient. You guys could head for the airport on Friday late afternoon and then head out on Sunday morning. Let me know!

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 11:24 PM

6. "Thanks for the invite."
In response to Reply # 5

>if it's convenient. You guys could head for the airport on
>Friday late afternoon and then head out on Sunday morning. Let
>me know!

But, won't be able to take that kind of trip on such short notice.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Sep-08-14 06:33 PM

3. "So, another aspect of this I wanted to explore..."
In response to Reply # 0

Was to give cats a place to vent, because, trust, I know we all need it.

It TRULY is amazing the kinds of characters you encounter on the outskirts of the music industry.

So, here's a recent tale I have to tell, for example.

So, I'm speaking to my boy (cat I've know for 15+ years) and he starts telling me that his younger brother is really into rapping and, since I make beats, we should link. So, I say okay, cause, this is my dude.

Now, link with his brother, hear some of his material, which I'm not too impressed by, but, I'm like, I'll throw him some throwaways and see if, maybe just MAYBE he surprises me.

So, send him a few joints. Next thing I know, he's pressing ME to get more joints to him. Now, one would be led to believe that, damn, this cat must be hungry. But, one would be misled.

After sending him a few tracks and having YET to hear anything from him over ANY of the beats, I tell him that, look, I won't be sending anything else over until he sends me SOMETHING he's done with one of the beats. I get the ole:

"Yeah, yeah, I'm on it. It's just that the engineer that I work with has traveled, but, as soon as he gets back, I'm ON IT."

That was late January, early February. No word since.

Moral of the story: Pay ABSOLUTELY no attention to what cats say, but rather what they do. And, sometimes even the ones with no talent expect superstar treatment.

Alphabet
Member since Jun 28th 2003
4402 posts
Thu Sep-11-14 07:25 AM

10. "I think this is the most important thing.."
In response to Reply # 3

>Was to give cats a place to vent, because, trust, I know we
>all need it.
>
>It TRULY is amazing the kinds of characters you encounter on
>the outskirts of the music industry.
>

^^^ Its alot of frustrating things that producers go through that only other producers can really understand..lol

The getting together and feedback on tracks is cool too..although it seems those type of things fall off over time (see the Make The Music forum on this very site for a perfect example).

Its hard to have a collection of beatmakers/producers (or ANY craft for that matter) get together and not have competitive nature kick creep in at some point..but if its presented in a way of venting, bouncing scenarios off each other, stories on things we've experienced along the road ect.. that would be a greater approach.

#PicABeat Audio Photo series. Where the beat is inspired by the photo.
http://soundcloud.com/KingAkai

http://kingakai.com

“I love these bitches, man. I really do.”
- Andre 3000

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 06:30 AM

15. "RE: I think this is the most important thing.."
In response to Reply # 10

>>Was to give cats a place to vent, because, trust, I know we
>>all need it.
>>
>>It TRULY is amazing the kinds of characters you encounter on
>>the outskirts of the music industry.
>>
>
>
>^^^ Its alot of frustrating things that producers go through
>that only other producers can really understand..lol
>
>The getting together and feedback on tracks is cool
>too..although it seems those type of things fall off over time
>(see the Make The Music forum on this very site for a perfect
>example).
>
>Its hard to have a collection of beatmakers/producers (or ANY
>craft for that matter) get together and not have competitive
>nature kick creep in at some point..but if its presented in a
>way of venting, bouncing scenarios off each other, stories on
>things we've experienced along the road ect.. that would be a
>greater approach.

I agree. That's kind of why I want to keep it small, so as to lessen the impact of our competitive nature's creeping in. So, in a way, it will have to be a multi-tiered effort. If you don't want to participate in the portion that revolves around receiving feedback on your track, that's cool. You can opt to just vent it out in whichever outlet is provided for that.

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Tue Sep-09-14 02:21 AM

4. "I'd def like to do something like this"
In response to Reply # 0

I live in Beijing so I don't often get a chance to build with people about Hip-Hop music. I haven't been producing that much recently because I've also been trying to learn more about the promotion side and trying different things to get ready for upcoming releases. So, I'm really itching to get back into producing much more consistently and one thing that would really help is to be able to learn from other like-minded people and get some feedback.

I always try to participate in the beatmaking posts in The Lesson and I try to comment as much as I can. I've got a bunch of full songs with vocals that need to be mixed but I think I'm going to focus on putting a beat tape out first, so I'm going to be working on half finished beats and finishing 10-12 beats soon, so it would be great to get some feedback on which ones fit and which should be cut and what particular tracks could use, etc.

So yeah, I would be down to submit tracks and critique other people's work, as much as my schedule will allow.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 11:25 PM

7. "Well, we've got three of us in agreement in total..."
In response to Reply # 4

>I live in Beijing so I don't often get a chance to build with
>people about Hip-Hop music. I haven't been producing that much
>recently because I've also been trying to learn more about the
>promotion side and trying different things to get ready for
>upcoming releases. So, I'm really itching to get back into
>producing much more consistently and one thing that would
>really help is to be able to learn from other like-minded
>people and get some feedback.
>
>I always try to participate in the beatmaking posts in The
>Lesson and I try to comment as much as I can. I've got a bunch
>of full songs with vocals that need to be mixed but I think
>I'm going to focus on putting a beat tape out first, so I'm
>going to be working on half finished beats and finishing 10-12
>beats soon, so it would be great to get some feedback on which
>ones fit and which should be cut and what particular tracks
>could use, etc.
>
>So yeah, I would be down to submit tracks and critique other
>people's work, as much as my schedule will allow.
>

Which is more than enough. So, I'll figure out all the particulars and get back to you guys early next week.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Thu Sep-11-14 02:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Herbie!"
In response to Reply # 4

What's happening? Haven't seen you around here for awhile. Got any new music to share? Would love to hear it.

I posted this a couple weeks ago but there wasn't much response. I got a kick outta hearing it cause I made the beat around 15 years ago and a friend of mine decided to dust it off. Even then...I think his revamped version was done 4 years ago but I didn't hear it until now:

http://magnolius.bandcamp.com/

All I've been doing is live stuff. Accompanying singers with classical guitar. I really need to get my home studio cooking again but I've been saying that forever.

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Wed Sep-17-14 04:38 AM

23. "RE: Herbie!"
In response to Reply # 8

Hey Denny!
Hey, good to 'see you'. So you are doing sound for live shows? How does that compare to engineering? Yeah I know what you mean about getting things up and running at home. I've got it going at 10% capacity and it's been forever. I got some things set up earlier this year but haven't capitalized on it.

Things have been good. I'm sort of working on music but my job and family life have slowed things down a whole lot. I'm sitting on a couple albums worth of material that needs to be mixed with a few of tracks that still need vocals. I'm still writing as well and I'm trying to put some finished product out by the summer. New semester means not much gets done so hopefully things will settle down at the end of the month. Besides a few beats on Soundcloud I haven't put anything out. Soon!(—er or later)

I dl'ed the track. It's very cool. Is that live trumpet or all samples?

-----------
http://soundcloud.com/herb-one
-----------

CB_010
Member since Mar 01st 2006
725 posts
Thu Sep-11-14 07:05 AM

9. "that sounds like a great idea! i would love to join"
In response to Reply # 0

being a father of 2 is effecting my beats per month(!) ratio lulz..
i still love to chop tho!

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Thu Sep-11-14 10:08 AM

11. "RE: Kind of wanting to start an OKP beatmaker consortium."
In response to Reply # 0

I think something like this would benefit me. I've been making beats for a while, and lately I think my skill has been improving, but I feel like I've plateaued a bit. I have a lot of trouble making myself work on a beat after the "sketch" or "donut" phase. I wanna get better at turning a cool little beat into a structured song.

I have buddies who make beats but it's like pulling teeth getting people to even listen to a rough draft once. And then when they do what do they have to say? "Sounds dope". Ah thanks dude..

Anyway, I like the idea a lot. What do you think of using something like Soundcloud and its time-based comments? With the free account it lets you upload a track and share it privately via link only.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 06:28 AM

14. "RE: Kind of wanting to start an OKP beatmaker consortium."
In response to Reply # 11
Mon Sep-15-14 06:51 AM by Remedial

>I think something like this would benefit me. I've been
>making beats for a while, and lately I think my skill has been
>improving, but I feel like I've plateaued a bit. I have a lot
>of trouble making myself work on a beat after the "sketch" or
>"donut" phase. I wanna get better at turning a cool little
>beat into a structured song.

Been there, bro. It's just another one of those mountains you have to climb in the production game. Just listen to some of your favorite tracks and notice the slight differences they make to the beat to differentiate the chorus from the verses.

>I have buddies who make beats but it's like pulling teeth
>getting people to even listen to a rough draft once. And then
>when they do what do they have to say? "Sounds dope". Ah
>thanks dude..

Mehn, I'm with you. I think folks are just that self-centered.

>Anyway, I like the idea a lot. What do you think of using
>something like Soundcloud and its time-based comments? With
>the free account it lets you upload a track and share it
>privately via link only.

I'm willing to use any platform that the group is willing to utilize or is a better fit for its members.

My only qualm with soundcloud is it's limits on the amount of tracks you can submit (for the free accounts). I'd like something that is limitless in that facet so that no one has to delete tracks to put up new ones. I'll do some research and see if there are any alternate options.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 12:35 PM

12. "i'm down"
In response to Reply # 0

i just finished a project last summer and haven't had the motiviation to do anything creative since.

but maybe this will give me my beatmaking energy back!

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 03:11 PM

13. "umm OKP already has that...get over there and make it happen"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topics&forum=26

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 06:31 AM

16. "Yes, there is a forum."
In response to Reply # 13

>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topics&forum=26

But that place is a mess and, if most folks are like me, they stay far away from there because there's WAY too much self-promotion and not enough feedback or support.

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 12:46 AM

29. "no shade..its a great idea...send me a link"
In response to Reply # 16

its not just for hip hop beats is it??

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sat Sep-27-14 04:13 AM

30. "Not at all!"
In response to Reply # 29

>its not just for hip hop beats is it??

As long as you're producing SOMETHING, you're free to participate.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 07:39 AM

17. "Ok. I've created a soundcloud group."
In response to Reply # 0

Right now, it has no avatar. If any of you guys are pretty proficient in graphic design (I'm halfway decent, but, it takes me TIME), maybe you can dub up an OKProudcer logo or something like that. I can contribute a nice font or two to choose from. Would maybe like something that has a three dimensional aspect for now.

All those who HAVE expressed interest in this communion will receive the link for the group in their inbox. Don't want to post it in this post, just to cut down on the amount of random submissions from passerby's that we may receive.

At this point, I have the group set so that I'll moderate and have to ok (pun intended) any track that has been submitted for the group. Reason being, I don't want any ole folk to just drop a track in the group and they're not actually a member of the community over there.

If you send a track for submission, please include your OKP message board username so I can do my lil background check just to make sure you're minimally active SOMEWHERE around these parts.

My only other rules for the group are: Only one track submission per week (Sunday - Saturday) and I would like to have any feedback posted by Saturday on the tracks that were submitted for that week. PLEASE try to listen to ALL tracks submitted and provide something MORE than "It's dope", "Aight", "Cool", etc... Please try to be detailed! If you're not entirely sure of what I'm looking for, refer to my original post for an example on another forum of the feedback i contributed to a member's submission over there. Lastly, if you are NOT providing feedback on other's tracks and just want to keep submitting yours, you know that's become problematic at some point, so, let's try to avoid that. Other than that, please enjoy your stay, welcome to LA.

I'm probably gonna get a GroupMe discussion group going sometime this week. If you're interested in participating in that, please hit me on the inbox or in this post so I can shoot you the link for that.

This IS NOT something that I want to be the lord over, I just wanted to get this thing on the ground and running rather than just letting it become one of those ideas that just fades away without anything coming out of it. I don't expect this to be any LARGE group. Like I said previously, even if it is just 3 cats, that's more than enough.

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 02:27 PM

33. "what's the soundcloud page name?"
In response to Reply # 17

I'd like to peep some of the music.
Not sure I want to submit yet.
But I'm always interested in hearing what people from this board
are doing production wise.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "lemme get that groupme invite, lord"
In response to Reply # 17

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 07:50 AM

18. "All those who submitted interest have been inbocksed."
In response to Reply # 0

And I will be checking for submissions at least once a day, in the evening more than likely, to make sure no one has to wait for a considerable amount of time to have their work showcased.

Once I get the GroupMe channel going, if you hit me on that, I can expedite getting the track up. Not sure what the capabilities are for moderators of a group on the soundcloud IOS app, but, if it can allow me to approve tracks on there, a turnaround of let's say, an hour, can be expected.

Peace.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Sep-15-14 08:05 AM

19. "GroupMe channel has been created."
In response to Reply # 0

And invites sent out via inbox.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 07:30 AM

20. "Just a heads up..."
In response to Reply # 0

I decided to get the ball rolling by being the first to submit a track.

dustin
4006 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 10:47 AM

21. "RE: Just a heads up..."
In response to Reply # 20

Thanks for setting things up man! will check out your track this evening when I get home

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Sep-16-14 11:27 AM

22. "Thanks."
In response to Reply # 21

>Thanks for setting things up man! will check out your track
>this evening when I get home

Kind of didn't want to be the first person to put something up, but, wanted to show my dedication to this undertaking, nah mean?

Please be sure to send something yourself. Doesn't have to be anything complete. I definitely don't want the group to be about anyone trying to outshine others. Even sketches would be great.

Peace.

dustin
4006 posts
Sat Sep-20-14 08:37 AM

24. "I submitted a track to the group but I made it private.."
In response to Reply # 0

so let me know if that causes any problems and I will try it again or upload something I don't mind being public

Also my soundcloud handle is 'dhaffner'

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Sat Sep-20-14 09:57 PM

26. "I can't see it."
In response to Reply # 24

I saw that you're a member of the group, but I can't see the track on the group's page.

Is there a way that we can post only to the group and not have it on our own timeline?

dustin
4006 posts
Sun Sep-21-14 09:30 AM

27. "RE: I can't see it."
In response to Reply # 26

>I saw that you're a member of the group, but I can't see the
>track on the group's page.
>
>Is there a way that we can post only to the group and not have
>it on our own timeline?

Thanks for checking! Today I will upload/submit another track and leave it public. But yea it would be cool to be able to post only to the group. I had assumed Soundcloud would provide that option

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Sep-24-14 02:20 PM

28. "RE: I can't see it."
In response to Reply # 27

>>I saw that you're a member of the group, but I can't see
>the
>>track on the group's page.
>>
>>Is there a way that we can post only to the group and not
>have
>>it on our own timeline?
>
>Thanks for checking! Today I will upload/submit another track
>and leave it public. But yea it would be cool to be able to
>post only to the group. I had assumed Soundcloud would provide
>that option

I didn't get the submission. I think that private tracks can't really be shared like that. i've tried sending them via email and stuff and most folks aren't able to access them.

Well, let us know...

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Sep-20-14 09:19 AM

25. "im down"
In response to Reply # 0

maaan years ago me and a small handful of us had Make The Music looking like a viable source of what ur trying to create here. we used to give the kinda detailed feedback that Torch provides in the Chops posts. but it just ended up being us small handful being this unofficial council providing feedback to any and everyone, but having none of the cats submitting their work for critique bothering to listen to anyone else's shit.
so thinning the participant number is probly a good idea.
send me the deets, plz.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 12:46 PM

38. "Sorry for the delay on getting that info to you..."
In response to Reply # 25
Mon Dec-08-14 12:49 PM by Remedial

>maaan years ago me and a small handful of us had Make The
>Music looking like a viable source of what ur trying to create
>here. we used to give the kinda detailed feedback that Torch
>provides in the Chops posts. but it just ended up being us
>small handful being this unofficial council providing feedback
>to any and everyone, but having none of the cats submitting
>their work for critique bothering to listen to anyone else's
>shit.
>so thinning the participant number is probly a good idea.
>send me the deets, plz.
>
>V.

And, that syndrome RIGHT THERE that you described is EXACTLY why I did not just post the group link in this post. Because, you'll just get a bunch of cats that want to use it as another promotional outlet and not contribute in any other way.

I really don't need Trapmaster Mike and the Hooliganz Squad flooding the channel with their tracks that have only been up for one day but somehow MIRACULOUSLY have 10,000 listens...

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 01:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
39. "I've Still Haven't Understood That Following"
In response to Reply # 38

>I really don't need Trapmaster Mike and the
>Hooliganz Squad flooding the channel with their
>tracks that have only been up for one day but
>somehow MIRACULOUSLY have 10,000 listens...

I think it's like a kat's entire friends from school who follow each other (and since the revolution of computer beatmakers who don't use their computer for class work but music & porn), so they make a cloudsound page and throw up a lame trap beat and get 500 likes 100 downloads in one day but a producer like Black Milk got to pay to get on a few blogs and hardly gets 100 likes in one week, smh.; hip-hop is truely dead in the ears of the young.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Thu Dec-11-14 04:52 AM

41. "They're buying listens..."
In response to Reply # 39

>>I really don't need Trapmaster Mike and the
>>Hooliganz Squad flooding the channel with their
>>tracks that have only been up for one day but
>>somehow MIRACULOUSLY have 10,000 listens...
>
>I think it's like a kat's entire friends from school who
>follow each other (and since the revolution of computer
>beatmakers who don't use their computer for class work but
>music & porn), so they make a cloudsound page and throw up a
>lame trap beat and get 500 likes 100 downloads in one day but
>a producer like Black Milk got to pay to get on a few blogs
>and hardly gets 100 likes in one week, smh.; hip-hop is truely
>dead in the ears of the young.

There are these cats who will SELL you listens and followers, on both Soundcloud and Youtube. So, they don't even have to go the old school way of getting their friends to keep listening to the tracks in order to pad their stats.

But, as much as I'm against that kind of thing because it really prevents true talent from getting any real shine (if I had a dollar for the amount of times I see some unknown cat with like 100,000 plays on YT, peep it to see what the hub bub's all about, only to hear the most amateurish stuff I've heard in years), it seems to be the norm nowadays.

And, as sorry as you may feel for Black Milk, he WILL get his 100,000+ plays on ANYTHING he puts up on SC or YT (without paying for it) and I'm pretty sure he's not paying blogs to cover him, at this point in his career. Also, let's not forget he charted pretty well on Billboard with AOTY. He's a pretty recognizable name within rap circles. He probably is pigeonholed as that "underground" producer, but, cats will have heard the name at some point or another.

He's put out like what, 7 albums? If anyone is to blame for his somewhat obscurity, I would say it's him and his choice to have put out only one album (AOTY) that felt like a commercial release. By this I mean, an album that was mastered and mixed very well, had a couple songs that ACTUALLY sounded like singles and more than one video was done for the life of the album release cycle.

I know I'm going totally off tangent here, but, truth is Black Milk is doing pretty well by independent artist standards: has his own label, doesn't have to work a full time or part time, and has a pretty lengthy production discography that includes a few major label releases.

He's definitely not the cat you have to worry about when it comes to his internet presence.

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 09:36 AM

31. "Hey this is going on if you still want to join... "
In response to Reply # 0

Me and Remedial have both posted a few tracks and had a few discussions.

Let him or myself know.

Servo
Member since Sep 13th 2007
3452 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 10:58 AM

32. "RE: Hey this is going on if you still want to join... "
In response to Reply # 31

I would love to join this group! I've been looking for something like this and the OKP forum for it looks like a ghost town. I'm just looking for feedback and would be more than willing to give a lot of feedback on other beats as well.

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Sun Dec-07-14 07:07 PM

34. "count me in, as well"
In response to Reply # 0

I like this idea. please send me the group name.

herbiehowsermc
1785 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 06:44 AM

35. "Hey Remedial... "
In response to Reply # 0

I just inboxed everybody a reminder with the link. Let's get this thing going...

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Dec-08-14 12:42 PM

37. "Cool."
In response to Reply # 35

>I just inboxed everybody a reminder with the link. Let's get
>this thing going...

Sent out a few myself, so, my apologies to anyone that got duplicates. I kind of went AWOL from the site for a bit, so, my bad on anyone that had to wait too long for that invite.

chincheckin
Charter member
2481 posts
Tue Dec-09-14 12:51 PM

40. "I'm down. Inbox the info."
In response to Reply # 0

http://soundcloud.com/deemack1

Lobby The Lesson topic #2900793 Previous topic | Next topic