Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2900579

Subject: "DO YOU THINK THERE COULD EVER BE ANOTHER SOUL TRAIN SHOW???" Previous topic | Next topic
Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sun Sep-07-14 03:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: DO YOU THINK THERE COULD EVER BE ANOTHER SOUL TRAIN SHOW???"

Don Cornelius put together as television show that captured the love of dance and music from our past and created a classic show that could never be duplicated, at least not the way that it was back in the 1970's. The 1970's episodes were the most priceless & precious to me. We had a chance to watch very talented free-style dancers and Black entertainers that we would never, ever see anywhere else on television. Can this ever be recaptured??? Is music as important to us as it was back in the past???

Music has always been very important part of African American lives. My 80 year old mother always tells me about the extremes that they went to, to dance and listen to the blues. She came from a strict Baptist home and her father only allowed them to sing gospel music and do holy dances. Somewhere along the line, my mother & her siblings got a taste of the blues!!! My mother's family was poor and lived in the south in a poor neighborhood and they did not have access to record players and she said that they did not play the blues on the radio. She told me stories about how her oldest brother & his friends would go to town and take their small change and put it in the jukebox and learn those Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker & other blues singers songs.

She said that her brothers, sisters and friends could hardly wait for the guys to return home so that they could sneak & hear them sing the blues songs. My mother & her brothers, sister & friends would get together and go way up in the woods to have their little jam sessions. She said one friend made his own guitar, one guy had a harmonica and they made drums out of old cans. She said, they would be singing, dancing, working up a hellava sweat and having a ball!!! One day her father caught them up in those woods, partying up and she said, he beat the shit out of all of them, even their friends!!! She said that she was so afraid that he was going to kill somebody because her father was very mean and physically abusive!!! This did not stop them though, when their wounds from the brutal beatings healed, they just found a new spot and continued to do what the loved doing. She never got a chance to really hear the real blues songs on record until she became an adult but when she did get a chance to hear the real songs by the original artists, it really didn't matter. They knew the songs word by word and beat by beat so it was no big deal to hear the real thing.

I had to tell this story to let you know some of the extremes that Blacks would go to just to live and love their music!!! Back in the day, Blacks really had a hard time getting their music out there to be heard. Blacks were heavily discriminated against getting their music recorded and rarely received in profits for their fine work no matter how good they were, they were treated like dogs & had to use the back door when it came to singing, performing and recording their music but they still carried on.

Black music & dance has become the biggest in the world!!! Some of the other races of people got more soul & dance moves than Blacks in these days in times !!! Thank you Don Cornelius, thank you Mama & so many thousands of others for going to the extreme to keep our soul music alive !!!

If there was to be another real Soul train with free-style dancing & music show, it would be much more different. All people of all colors and cultures would have to participate to make it work???

Nowadays, a lot of young Blacks don't even know how to dance. Is their real "Soul" still there??? Can we really do another classic Soul Train program that will stand the test of time like Don Cornelius's Soul Train did??? It's really hard for me to say whether or not it could ever happen again, but it could never be all African Americans again in my opinion...

Do you really think that there could ever be another classic Soul Train in this lifetime ???

Poll result (4 votes)
Nope, not in this lifetime... (0 votes)Vote
Yes, I do believe that it can... (1 votes)Vote
It's really hard to say for these days & times... (3 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: DO YOU THINK THERE COULD EVER BE ANOTHER SOUL TRAIN SHOW???
Sep 08th 2014
I thought ?uest was working on developing something like it?
Sep 08th 2014
I guess ?love would be the perfect candidate for...
Sep 08th 2014
But what would they do tho?
Sep 10th 2014
R U talking 'bout Soul Train???...
Sep 10th 2014
      Yes.But...
Sep 10th 2014
           RE: Yes.But...
Sep 11th 2014
106 and park is the new soul train
Sep 11th 2014
Not to me...
Sep 12th 2014
people don't dance no mo...all they do is disssssss
Sep 11th 2014

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Mon Sep-08-14 02:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: DO YOU THINK THERE COULD EVER BE ANOTHER SOUL TRAIN SHOW???"
In response to Reply # 0

I LUV ALL A' Y'ALL!!! !!!

quikfit
Charter member
1897 posts
Mon Sep-08-14 09:16 AM

2. "I thought ?uest was working on developing something like it?"
In response to Reply # 0

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Soul music is bad, bad, bad!

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Mon Sep-08-14 01:43 PM

3. "I guess ?love would be the perfect candidate for..."
In response to Reply # 2

a BIG project like this. Now it sounds like a possibility that this could work !!!

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 02:04 PM

4. "But what would they do tho?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-10-14 02:04 PM by HIM

Video a bunch of chicks twerkin' and couples dry humping each other?

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com
"Lo-Fi Holiday" Now Available!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lo-fi-holiday/id985794237
https://plazamelodic.bandcamp.com/album/lo-fi-holiday
http://soundcloud.com/beatroom88

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 09:02 PM

5. "R U talking 'bout Soul Train???..."
In response to Reply # 4

I didn't see any Soul Train episodes that were real "Twerkie", yeah some but not no where near as much as you see in later shows or videos. The show did maintain style and respect...

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 09:44 PM

6. "Yes.But..."
In response to Reply # 5

What I meant was, do people really "dance" anymore like they did on Soul Train in years past to the point that it would be visually interesting to the viewers at home? I was just wondering if they'd have people on the show doing the nae nae; grinding and twerking.
I wonder what a "soul train line" would look like in 2014.

"They" already fronted on the inclusion of the scrabble board. How lame would "the suits" of 2014 make this show?

I wonder how people would respond to the lip sync aspect now in 2014?
Also, for me, I never felt those other host after Don.
Who'd be your picks for host (aside from ?uest, who'd be my pick)?

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com
"Lo-Fi Holiday" Now Available!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lo-fi-holiday/id985794237
https://plazamelodic.bandcamp.com/album/lo-fi-holiday
http://soundcloud.com/beatroom88

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Thu Sep-11-14 03:54 PM

7. "RE: Yes.But..."
In response to Reply # 6

You have mentioned some things that would be very important for anyone that would want to do another Soul Train classic show to consider. I will try to respond to the best of my ability about this subject...

>What I meant was, do people really "dance" anymore like they
>did on Soul Train in years past to the point that it would be
>visually interesting to the viewers at home?

***Well, it doesn't seem to me that a lot of young Black people are into dancing like they were back in those days but there are some very talented dancers out there, Black & White. I saw some very talented black guys dancing on the Jerry Springer show and they really had it all together and they were excellent, very entertaining dancers. What about the Michael Jackson impersonators??? Some of them are very good and their performances are very entertaining. I also believe that free-style would work better than professional dancers just like they did in the 1970's Soul Train episodes. To me the older episodes were raw and more classic than the newer episodes. Yes, I think they could find some amazing dancers right off of the streets !!!

>I was just
>wondering if they'd have people on the show doing the nae nae;
>grinding and twerking.
> I wonder what a "soul train line" would look like in 2014.

As far as making a classic show, one that will stand the test of time, I think there should be very little to no twerking and booty bouncing because one day these girls and women may become more classy and it might look really stupid later on, maybe 20 years from now. I think the Soul Train line would work, people still do the Soul Train line at parties, I have even heard that they do Soul Train lines in other countries...Yeah, I think the Soul Train line could work !!!

>"They" already fronted on the inclusion of the scrabble board.
>How lame would "the suits" of 2014 make this show?

***The scrabble board??? I think that could be workable...I really see nothing wrong with having a scrabble board with Miguel, R. Kelly, Rick Ross, just to name a few. As far as, "the suits", I am assuming that you mean the clothes??? If the show has classic quality, the clothes that they wear will not matter. No one really wants to dress like the 1970's Soul Train dancers unless they are at a '70's party, but Soul Train is still a classic !!!
>
>I wonder how people would respond to the lip sync aspect now
>in 2014?

***I think they should try to keep it live, if performers can perform live on stage, they should be able to do this in a new Soul Train setting...

>Also, for me, I never felt those other host after Don.
>Who'd be your picks for host (aside from ?uest, who'd be my
>pick)?

***For some reason, after Don left the show, it seemed to turn to something different but I think that was because, the raw talent was gone and they did start to incorporate more hoochie & sexual type dancing and even the female outfits became more provocative and sexual and I think that took away from the quality of the show. I have really thought about this question and aside from ?uest, I think Justin Timberlake would be the next best candidate, but with the name "Soul Train", ?uest or some other Black host for the simple reason that a lot of people might wonder how can they call the show, "Soul Train" with a White person as the host. Justin Timberlake could be the co-host to even things out because as I said in the original post, I don't think African Americans can pull the show on their own because of loss of soul through the years. Back in those days, music and dancing was pretty much or mainly all that we had. Now blacks have become more versatile in most industries in society so dancing is not a priority as it was back in those days. Back then, even people that was not great dancers felt pressure to at least know how to do a few dances in order to be accepted in their circle of friends. Other races of people seem to put more into soul music and dancing and would have to be a significant source for a new Soul train show.

Through the years, priorities amongst Black people have changed and a lot of quality has been lost as far as soul music and dancing is concerned. In these years, money has become top-priority and musical performing and quality has been lost. A lot of Blacks in the music industry don't really care what they say on a song, for instance..."Hanna Montana, Hanna Montana, Hanna Montana..." (c)Gucci Mane...and the boy & other Black performers like him gets paid top $$$'s for this kind of stuff and then there is the twerk dancers and ass-shakers, you get more ass in your face than true talent. It's okay but there is no true quality.

Like I said, to make a new Soul Train show that will be a classic will take a WHOLE LOT of time and thought, I really wish it could happen though !!!

SHAstayhighalways
Member since Sep 03rd 2014
3696 posts
Thu Sep-11-14 05:21 PM

8. "106 and park is the new soul train "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-11-14 05:21 PM by SHAstayhighalways

even though its really a bite off of TRL

www.royallegacy.org

For Real (Official Video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBRoCPO8esE

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Fri Sep-12-14 04:03 PM

10. "Not to me..."
In response to Reply # 8

106 & Park is a really good show, but I don't think that it has that classic quality and it is just different from Soul Train...

>even though its really a bite off of TRL

***What does TRL mean???

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Sep-11-14 08:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "people don't dance no mo...all they do is disssssss"
In response to Reply # 0

therefore:

no

Lobby The Lesson topic #2900579 Previous topic | Next topic