Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2899537

Subject: "let the rhythm hit em appreciation/has there been a rakim month yet?" Previous topic | Next topic
Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Mon Sep-01-14 10:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"let the rhythm hit em appreciation/has there been a rakim month yet?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Rhythm_Hit_%27Em

definitely one of the first tapes i bought, wasnt the 1st

(1st was the geto boys tape w/ do it like a GO & read these nikes. jount was purple)

but it was DEFN in that 1st 5.

look at that track listing tho, wheres the weak link?

easily one of the great hip hop albums OAT. if this shit dropped today it would be hailed as a masterpiece, as it was then. good music is good music. young thug doesnt have a let the rhythm hit em in em. we were lucky back then

and its established that rakim is like the james brown of MCs right? like...took the art form & elevated it to such a level that everyone after him has some of his DNA in em...right?

Top 5 worst snubs in rock n roll HOF history:
1) maze
2) the smiths
3) chicago
4) new order/joy division
5) eric b & rakim

does it really matter?

vote for bin: http://tinyurl.com/qz8zep5

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's Ra's Greatest Album In My Opinion
Sep 01st 2014
Every Month Should Be Rakim Month
Sep 02nd 2014
You can't go wrong with any of the 4 EB&R albums as a fave.
Sep 02nd 2014

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Mon Sep-01-14 09:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's Ra's Greatest Album In My Opinion"
In response to Reply # 0

It didn't have the club bangers that Paid In Full did but the production was amazing (thanks Extra P) and it's Rakim's finest lyrical performance. In The Ghetto, Let The Rhythm Hit Em, No Omega, Untouchables and one of the greatest Hip Hop ballads of all time Mahogony. Definitely one of the greatest albums of all time.

CanUooooFeeLiT
Member since May 11th 2005
2178 posts
Tue Sep-02-14 02:55 PM

2. "Every Month Should Be Rakim Month"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-02-14 02:55 PM by CanUooooFeeLiT

Follow the Leader is my FAV Rakim album but LTRHE is his best work. No one has matched Ra on the title joint not even himself.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Tue Sep-02-14 03:05 PM

3. "You can't go wrong with any of the 4 EB&R albums as a fave."
In response to Reply # 0

That last verse on "In the Ghetto?"

"No Omega"

"Keep 'Em Eager to Listen"

Man, this album never got the respect it deserved. You're right, there's no weak spot.

I would love to have an exhaustive discussion on OKP about the 4 EB&R albums. But I don't think a lot of folks here really feel them like that.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2899537 Previous topic | Next topic