Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2897996

Subject: "The Underachievers - Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium" Previous topic | Next topic
mwasi kitoko
Member since Jul 15th 2007
60768 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 08:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Underachievers - Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium"

let's talk about it.

www.royallegacy.org
http://therapfest.com/up-next-artists/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Only listened once so far
Aug 22nd 2014
you mean on the acid dropping?
Aug 22nd 2014
im into it
Aug 23rd 2014
ha!
Aug 23rd 2014
RE: The Underachievers - Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium
Aug 23rd 2014
Aug 28th 2014
Aug 28th 2014
           agreed. the great thing is, they're mad young & just getting started
Aug 28th 2014
so I listened to their mixtapes again just now on a car ride home
Aug 28th 2014
anyone else?
Aug 29th 2014
      I've listened to a few songs here and there
Aug 29th 2014
           i'd say if you didn't like anything off their first mixtape you probably
Aug 31st 2014
i like the beats on the mixtapes better than the beats on the album
Aug 29th 2014

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 09:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Only listened once so far"
In response to Reply # 0

I know I had higher expectations, but this is really still a solid effort. I was hoping for a departure from the Indigo sound with the signing to Brainfeeder but it seems like they ain't with them no more and so stuck to the bread and butter, which was still good.

Pleased they toned down on the pill popping, and just generally love the energy of the spit. Still think they can do more but not sure where they go from here.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

mwasi kitoko
60768 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 09:59 PM

2. "you mean on the acid dropping?"
In response to Reply # 1

yea on twitter issa gold was saying how at one point in his life he was dropping acid a lot (btw 15 up until they recorded indigoism, but not even as much as their music let on. they don't do it as much if at all according to him.
as young as they were when doing it i think they were just really fascinated with the effects of
dmt but are 'over it' now. he was saying weed and astral projection is where it's at lol
the other dude don't talk too much on twitter but issa gold be tripping me out sometimes

anyway as for the album i think they kept to a similar sound bc this is their first official album
and didn't want to disappoint the fans they picked up with that sound. i give them a couple
of years before they give us their 'aquemini' (start experimenting with diff music more).

i still gotta listen to the album more but upon first listen i am not disappointed at all.
i just wanted to go ahead and get the convo started to see what ppl think about it.

have you heard the mix tapes they released a week before the album dropped?
ak - blessings in the grey
issa gold - conversations with a butterfly

both are really dope.

www.royallegacy.org

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Sat Aug-23-14 02:00 AM

3. "im into it"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont think its quite like indigoism - they seem to have let up a bit on the verbal assault. i mean, theyre still rapping like they usually do, but it feels less intense/samey this time. i love how they flow but i think it got a bit tiring before. i get a kind of dead prez vibe from them, but with more emphasis on the spiritual aspects rather than militancy. which is what makes me like them - i get a good energy from listening to them.

mwasi kitoko
60768 posts
Sat Aug-23-14 08:01 AM

4. "ha!"
In response to Reply # 3

i mad damn near the same exact observation when i first heard them re: dead prez
i was saying to my brother the whole indigo movement is this generations 5% movement
i think its pretty dope. i gotta listen to the album more but so far i agree
they do seem toned down but not in a bad way.

www.royallegacy.org

yaOverstand
Member since Jul 21st 2009
184 posts
Sat Aug-23-14 05:13 PM

5. "RE: The Underachievers - Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it for sure that they aren't Brainfeeder anymore? I had really high hopes for this album but I feel like they kind of missed the mark. I feel like they need a solid producer behind them (ie the EP with Lex Luger) to really make the listening experience worthwhile. I'm really feeling AK regardless though. "Radiance" is dope, but I think it's because of Statik Selektah's beat. I'd really like to hear them rock out to an entire album of Erick Arc Elliot's production....or even a collab with him and Meechy Darky and AK.

mwasi kitoko
60768 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 12:54 PM

6. "RE: The Underachievers - Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium"
In response to Reply # 5

>Is it for sure that they aren't Brainfeeder anymore?

i have no idea! i never even knew who they were signed to lol

I had
>really high hopes for this album but I feel like they kind of
>missed the mark. I feel like they need a solid producer
>behind them (ie the EP with Lex Luger) to really make the
>listening experience worthwhile. I'm really feeling AK
>regardless though. "Radiance" is dope, but I think it's
>because of Statik Selektah's beat. I'd really like to hear
>them rock out to an entire album of Erick Arc Elliot's
>production....or even a collab with him and Meechy Darky and
>AK.

i was listening to it again today and while i don't think they quite missed the mark (i really like it) sonically it definitely feels like a singular theme/mood throughout. while i liked playing it beginning to end and enjoyed every minute nothing blows me away. indigoism is the
superior project to me after hearing cellar door a few more times.

the underachievers are really easy for me to enjoy though because (in my humble opinion)
their shit ranges from good to great. i've yet to hear a song from them and be like
this is plain wack. they have set the bar high for themselves though.

www.royallegacy.org

yaOverstand
Member since Jul 21st 2009
184 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 01:22 PM

7. "RE: The Underachievers - Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium"
In response to Reply # 6

I definitely agree that they are consistent and always good to great with everything that they drop. I feel like, as you said, the mood and musical theme of the album is very singular...Issa leads off almost every song...it just feels like they need a muse or some guidance or something to make a truly great album. And I say all of this as a huge Underacheivers fan.

mwasi kitoko
60768 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 05:59 PM

8. "agreed. the great thing is, they're mad young & just getting started"
In response to Reply # 7

so theoretically they have time altho issa gold has hinted at retiring from rap sooner than later (boo! hope he's selling wolf tickets).
flatbush zombies is their people too i def would love to hear them over dude's beats for a whole project and just expand. a diff vibe will help expand their already incredible flows
as well

www.royallegacy.org

mwasi kitoko
60768 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 10:32 PM

9. "so I listened to their mixtapes again just now on a car ride home"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-28-14 10:33 PM by mwasi kitoko

Blessings in the grey - ak
Conversations with a butterfly - issa gold

Both are better than the album
IMO
they gotta find a way to blend their creativity more
its almost like they hold back when theyre together
and get a lil more creative when theyre on a track alone

www.royallegacy.org

mwasi kitoko
60768 posts
Fri Aug-29-14 05:59 PM

10. "anyone else?"
In response to Reply # 9

shocked at how few ppl around here fk with them.

www.royallegacy.org

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Fri Aug-29-14 06:29 PM

11. "I've listened to a few songs here and there"
In response to Reply # 10

Off the first mixtape and whatever videos they have on youtube - nothing's really done it for me so far. Beats & rhyme-wise, nothing has really been memorable

Can you give me a few songs to mess with?

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

mwasi kitoko
60768 posts
Sun Aug-31-14 07:55 AM

13. "i'd say if you didn't like anything off their first mixtape you probably"
In response to Reply # 11

won't like anything i suggest.

www.royallegacy.org

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Fri Aug-29-14 07:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "i like the beats on the mixtapes better than the beats on the album"
In response to Reply # 0

when UA dropped indigoism they seemed to be doing a very modern and classy take on ny boom bap by slowing it down a bit and spitting southern style double time lyrics over the beats. it was still sample based, jazzy, hard, and aggressive (not necessarily simultaneously) but it felt fresh and unique. in my mind this is what separated them from the less sutble outright regurgitation of 90s rap beats by acts like pro era and to a lesser extent asap, raider klan, and flatbush zombies. i'm not getting the feeling that i got listening to indigoism from cellar door, although ak and issa seem to be rapping better than they were on indiogism

Lobby The Lesson topic #2897996 Previous topic | Next topic