Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2897904

Subject: "Dummy Turns 20 (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 01:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dummy Turns 20 (link)"

Post up some of your personal memories of the album along with links to your favorite songs.

Aug 22nd '14 by Tom Breihan @ 9:13am

There’s a certain type of drum programming that lets you know that the world is a cold and unforgiving place, that nothing is going to be OK. It’s the kind of drum programming you hear on three of the great bleak, depressive masterpieces of the mid-’90s: Mobb Deep’s The Infamous, Raekwon’s Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Portishead’s Dummy. In retrospect, it’s weird as hell that Portishead got play on alt-rock radio stations, alongside Bush and Silverchair, when they’d really just made one of the greatest rap records of their era. Dummy had exactly zero rapping, but it was a rap record for sure. Geoff Barrow was a clear disciple of DJ Premier and the Bomb Squad and Pete Rock, but he also had that drizzly British sensibility that made his tracks feel vaguely gothic. Beth Gibbons sang with all the heartbreak and gravitas of a Mary J. Blige or a Toni Braxton. But she had none of their fire, and instead she had the sort of icy rural-English reserve that you could hear in the quieter parts of PJ Harvey’s To Bring You My Love. When America’s backpack-rap underground came into its own a few years later, many of the producers on that scene looked at Barrow and Gibbons (and Adrian Utley, the jazzhead guitarist who contributed to every song on Dummy and who became a full-fledged member after its release) with a certain reverence. These people understood, better than most rap producers, how to wring melancholic atmosphere out of cut-up shards of old records. Dummy sounds like an album absolutely out of time. And listening now, it’s weird to think that the reaction to it was ever: Hey! Listen to this cool new sound!

We music critics love to sniff out scenes and shape music into narratives, and what was happening in Bristol in the early ’90s presented a perfect opportunity for that stuff: Here was this loose crew of artists playing around with old music and rap signifiers and dub textures, using them to create this unbearably fashionable mood-music that seemed like the sort of thing ravers listened to on the cold morning drives home. (Maybe it was. I don’t know. I wasn’t there. I also wasn’t a music critic 20 years ago, but I totally would’ve been doing this stuff if I had been.) Trip-hop, as the critical massive unfortunately came to call it, was supposed to be the music of the future; witness, for instance, Tricky’s role in The Fifth Element as “guy who gets blown up.” It’s an understandable way of looking at what was happening with this Bristol scene, which seemed to have no precedent at the time. But then a spectral masterpiece like Dummy ends up getting short shrift, becoming a paragraph in a trend piece. Portishead were from Bristol, just like Massive Attack and Tricky, and Barrow did have some connections to the Wild Bunch crew. But even though there were surface similarities to what those other artists were doing, Barrow and Gibbons succeeded in coming up with a sound that belonged to them entirely, a sound that outlived its context.

On paper, nothing Portishead did really made sense. They took the themerins from ’50s horror movies and the twangy guitars from ’60s spy movies, sounds that had been there to help trigger an instinctive adrenal response, and turned them into downbeat hymns. They took the record-scratching from New York rap — Barrow’s timing on the turntables was as close as anyone else came to DJ Premier-level perfection — but drained it of all hardness. They used breakbeats the way jazz bandleaders used brushstroke drums, letting them whisper instead of thwack. Even when the drums were loud, the way they were on “Strangers,” they weren’t there to crush. Gibbons had some chilly Billie Holiday poise in her voice, but she also had the ancestral sadness of a British folksinger like Fairport Convention’s Sandy Denny. Her lyrics were self-pitying wallows of a type that Robert Smith would have to salute; when she wailed “nobody loves me, it’s true” on “Sour Times,” her follow-up — “not like you do” — felt like an afterthought. These were songs about absolute crushing romantic desolation, about wrapping yourself in misery. And yet they somehow became an entire generation’s greatest makeout soundtrack. I don’t know why or how Dummy worked like white-people Jodeci, but it sure as hell did.

That Portishead sound was deceptively simple, and plenty of people tried to recreate it — I’m thinking of the Sneaker Pimps, or Morcheeba — but nobody quite got it right. Portishead more or less left that sound alone after that first album. They spent three years recording their self-titled follow-up, and it felt like forever, especially as word leaked out that Barrow was putting together his own orchestral spy-movie soundtracks just so he could sample the things. Portishead moved from that Dummy sound into something darker and headier, something that had less to do with breakbeats and wickety-wickety scratches. But it was a quickie follow-up compared to Third, which came out 11 years after Portishead and which left behind Portishead’s old sound completely switching up its style on every track and embracing punishing electro and doom metal. So that original sound was a flame that burned bright and fast. We didn’t know it was happening at the time. It took a while for the album to attain dorm-room-fixture status. But listening to it now, it serves as, among other things, a lesson: Don’t neglect something because of where it fits into the narrative that you’ve already concocted for it. It might turn out to be more resonant and important than you know. Now, let’s watch some videos.

http://www.stereogum.com/1700497/dummy-turns-20/franchises/the-anniversary/

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
good read
Aug 22nd 2014
Good read BUT...
Aug 22nd 2014
^^^ignore post above
Aug 22nd 2014
Now I realize why I love/hate Tom Breihan
Aug 22nd 2014
One of my favorite albums of all time
Aug 23rd 2014
FOH
Aug 23rd 2014

drugs
Charter member
9149 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 08:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "good read"
In response to Reply # 0

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 09:01 PM

2. "Good read BUT..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-22-14 09:02 PM by Jakob Hellberg

I for one can't disassociate this album from that era and Trip-Hop as a form of "PC" Hip-Hop for people with then new and interesting jobs like web designers and trendy noodle-bars muzak. In USA, I guess this was more underground and FAR less successful than "regular" Hip.Hop but amongst 90's hipsters in sweden, that was SO not the case.

For example, I remember this dude I went to highschool with who was all about detroit-techno and house and he used to refer to Hip-Hop as "pek-neger" music (=ignorant swedish term for Hip-Hop; the rappers are black and they are "pointing" with their hands). Fast forward a year or two and he was spinning Trip-hop and Mo'wax and Ninja Tune in "cool" bars but bring up Gang Starr or Wu-Tang or DITC or whoever and it was still "ignorant macho music" to him whereas Portishead and their colleagues approach to Hip-Hop beats were correct and non-offensive.

Anyway, I liked this album for a few weeks in 95 but the general vibe and aesthetic it set off kind of pissed me off after a while; it's perfectly possible-even likely-that my view is clouded by non-musical circumstances but at the same time, music does not exist in a vacuum and the vibe/aesthetic/whatever that "Dummy" represents to me (=90's anglophile hipster muzak) is not one I'm interested in revisiting. At all. Maybe a decade from now...

That being said, USA wasn't really anglophilic and obsessed with the latest british hype like that then so I can see why people hear it differently; to *me*, this is a time-period relic best forgotten, like Huey Lewis&the News or Eurythmics or Poison in the 80's...

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 09:35 PM

3. "^^^ignore post above"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Aug-22-14 09:36 PM by Jakob Hellberg

To late to edit apparently. There's absolutely no valid reason for me to shit on an album I actually haven't played in almost 20 years... Sorry!!! Drunk posting gone wrong...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 11:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Now I realize why I love/hate Tom Breihan"
In response to Reply # 0

While I hate how he loves to compare one artist to another (no matter how distant the link), lines like this make me fucking chuckle.

"I don’t know why or how Dummy worked like white-people Jodeci, but it sure as hell did."

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sat Aug-23-14 12:50 AM

5. "One of my favorite albums of all time"
In response to Reply # 0

This was a great read. Portishead are definitely one of my favorite bands of all time. I was first introduced to them by hearing "Sour Times" and it was a wrap, although this rarely ever happens to me, I think I knew then that they would be one of my favorite bands of all time and they are. 3 Stellar studio albums and one live album that is of the same quality. I have actually never heard a Portishead song I dislike. The first time I listened to "Dummy" (which is probably their best album, marginally) I instantly fell in love with Beth Gibbons' voice. It works perfectly with the dark, noir-like vibe allot of their work gives off, because it is chillingly beautiful. Honestly its hard to pick stand out tracks on any of their albums, because they are all so good, but off of their first one I really really dig "Biscuit" and "Roads". I really hope they do a US tour soon.....

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Sat Aug-23-14 06:49 AM

6. "FOH"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Aug-23-14 06:50 AM by howardlloyd

Dummy had
>exactly zero rapping, but it was a rap record for sure. Geoff
>These people understood, better than most rap
>producers, how to wring melancholic atmosphere out of cut-up
>shards of old records. Dummy sounds like an album absolutely
>out of time. And listening now, it’s weird to think that the
>reaction to it was ever: Hey! Listen to this cool new sound!

white people gone mad as fucking usual

exactly what jakob referred to in his drunken post.

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #2897904 Previous topic | Next topic