Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2897621

Subject: "Kickstarter for Abiodun Oyewole (OG member of The Last Poets)" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 04:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kickstarter for Abiodun Oyewole (OG member of The Last Poets)"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/643963950/gratitude-album-release

(swipe)
Please help support "Gratitude". The latest solo album project from Abiodun Oyewole, one of the original members of The Last Poets.

We are Sons Rising Entertainment and we are excited to announce that our father, Abiodun Oyewole, is finishing up his latest album project entitled "Gratitude". Those of you gracious enough to support this project will receive rewards and, of course, our sincerest gratitude!

As a founding member of The Last Poets, a group considered by many to be the 'forefathers of rap', Abiodun has dedicated almost 50 years to using his poetry to articulate the struggle, glorify the beauty, and protest the injustices of the Black experience worldwide and in America particularly. He has recorded numerous albums and his work is still very influential today. Phrases he coined like "Party and Bullshit" have become a mainstay in the hip-hop lexicon.

As an active member of The Last Poets, traveling the world performing and teaching, Abiodun always had a strong desire to record a solo project that was more contemporary. Last summer he teamed up with his grandson, Arrendo "A.D." Liles, a dynamic young producer out of Brooklyn, and began recording what Abiodun claims is "one of the greatest pieces of work that I've ever done." From the outset it was clear that this album would be much more personal than his collaborative efforts with The Last Poets. Poems such as "My Life", "Spirit", and "The Rain" (a poem dedicated to his parents), would help set the tone for an album that not only provides a window into Abiodun's world but also features collaborations with three of his closest proteges, Apollo Legend Jessica Care Moore, Grammy Award-winning poet J. Ivy, and Abiodun's youngest son Ade.

“Gratitude is a real testament to my values, ideals and my abilities. I am grateful for my life and the life of my family members to create what I think is a wonderful sacred object.” Abiodun Oyewole

___

WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP

Over the past year we have been recording this album on a very modest budget and while we are nearing the finish line there is still work to do once we complete the album. We plan to release the album independently and that is where your monetary support is most needed. Our fundraising goal of $20,000 will cover the following expenses:

Mixing and mastering the album
Marketing and promotion of the album (hire publicist to promote the record in U.S. and overseas)
Manufacturing - CD duplication and Vinyl pressing.
Digital Distribution
Video Production - Music video for first single "Harlem" directed by Jamal Joseph.
Album Artwork
Abiodun Oyewole Website
Album Release Party - Costs include venue, band, and DJ
Fulfill Kickstarter rewards - t-shirts, buttons, etc...
Any funds in excess of the initial goal will go towards additional marketing and promotion. This includes everything from creation of a 2nd video, to getting more bandwidth from print, radio, and online media. With additional dollars we will also look to create additional merchandise (posters, t-shirts) to accompany the release.

___

WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO

We can’t do this without your help. A pledge of any size today is greatly appreciated. But beyond that contribution, we ask that you help us publicize our campaign by posting updates about your support on social media - especially Facebook and Twitter. Your donation and participation makes you a part of the story just as much as we are.

Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We are confident that backers will not be disappointed. Aside from some unforeseen circumstance, we can't see any reason why we won't be able to finish the album and share it with the world before the end of summer. All of the basic tracks have been recorded. Now we just need your help to finish the project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/643963950/gratitude-album-release

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dope. I'll definitely contribute.
Aug 21st 2014

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 01:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Dope. I'll definitely contribute."
In response to Reply # 0

I went to college with one of his sons, and saw them perform while I was there. Would love to hear this.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2897621 Previous topic | Next topic