Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2897090

Subject: "J Dilla - Pizza Man beat tape" Previous topic | Next topic
unheard78
Member since Aug 17th 2014
9 posts
Mon Aug-18-14 04:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"J Dilla - Pizza Man beat tape"

Okay, first time poster, long time lurker. I figured if there was somewhere I could ask about this, it would be right here. That said, I've been hearing about Dilla's Pizza Man beat tape for a while, as it was considered release worthy alongside Donuts. I reached out to Jordan Ferguson, author of the 33 1/3 series volume on Donuts, to ask if he knew more about this and if he'd heard the original beat tape of Donuts (before it was polished for release), but he never got back to me. So, that brings me here.

I'm specifically wondering about whether Pizza Man is out there but under another name. I've always suspected one of the semi-unidentified beat tapes, usually labeled Dilla Beats 3, to possibly be it, mostly because it includes Signs and the beat used on the revised version of Jaylib's The Red and Raekwon's 10 Bricks. Kinda makes sense to use tracks from another Dilla beat tape they liked almost as much as Donuts. This might not be as important, but it also includes several of the tracks from Jay Love Japan, along with the beat for Steve Spacek's Dollar.

I've heard from folks who don't think this leaked, and maybe it hasn't, as Dilla had made so many beat tapes prior to his death, but as the original Donuts beat tape seems to have leaked, I have to imagine this quite possibly leaked too.

On the topic of the original Donuts beat tape for a minute, when I bought my copy of the 45s box, I'd read how it included the intro (aka Donuts (Outro)) again, several tracks into the album, and how they had reinstated it into the album as it appeared on the beat tape. I have no idea why they did that, but the leak I found included that reprise of the intro, in the same place. There were some other interesting but minor differences, like Workinonit and The Diff'rence being split into two tracks, and the untitled interlude that appears before Airworks and at another point in the album getting its own track, albeit without a name. Some of the tracks were shorter than the versions officially released, but that's not too surprising, considering how most tracks on beat tapes aren't meant to be too long.

So, does anyone have any insight as to the status of Pizza Man? Or does anyone else know anything about the original Donuts beat tape? Anything you can tell me would be a godsend!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: J Dilla - Pizza Man beat tape
Aug 18th 2014
Aug 18th 2014
Aug 18th 2014
I'm gonna let you in on the dark secret of Dilla's fanbase
Aug 18th 2014
Leave J. Rocc alone lol n/m
Aug 19th 2014
even now?
Aug 19th 2014
RE: even now?
Aug 19th 2014
It was the same way with Pac...(not sure if it still is)
Aug 19th 2014
yep....exactly.
Aug 19th 2014
It is elitist. But let me say this...
Aug 19th 2014
Paintings should be in museums
Aug 19th 2014
if you were meant to hear it it'd have a barcode n/m
Aug 21st 2014
      I would happily pay for unadulterated beat tapes, for the record
Aug 21st 2014
           me too but just because
Aug 28th 2014
                Agreed
Aug 28th 2014
so there's more?
Aug 21st 2014
      Tapes, tracks, remixes, loops he would ride around to…all that.
Aug 31st 2014
that's part of the reason I started the blog
Aug 21st 2014
whoever has this feel free to inbox me with a link, thanks...
Aug 21st 2014
RE: whoever has this feel free to inbox me with a link, thanks...
Aug 21st 2014
^I'm with the Chief on this one.....inbox me too
Aug 21st 2014
send my way too please
Aug 21st 2014
Inbox?
Aug 21st 2014
If this isn't one of the 05 tapes and it's being inboxed
Aug 21st 2014
      i second that
Aug 22nd 2014
      RE: If this isn't one of the 05 tapes and it's being inboxed
Aug 22nd 2014
           I think that one was called "Dill Withers"
Aug 22nd 2014
Please hook me up
Aug 22nd 2014
RE: Please hook me up
Aug 22nd 2014
      I hope no one does
Aug 22nd 2014
           RE: I hope no one does
Aug 22nd 2014
This thread is a great example of Dilla's fan base mangling the integrit...
Aug 22nd 2014
Are those internet titles given to those tapes?
Aug 22nd 2014
RE: Are those internet titles given to those tapes?
Aug 28th 2014
I'm thinking all 3 of those "Beat CD '05" ones were made in 2003
Aug 28th 2014
      no.
Aug 28th 2014
      agreed...
Aug 28th 2014
      RE: I'm thinking all 3 of those "Beat CD '05" ones were made in 2003
Aug 29th 2014
           Yep, and he got this sample wrong:
Aug 31st 2014
Can 15 or someone confirm it's not one of the tapes we all have?
Aug 22nd 2014
Speaking of Dilla treats, does anybody have the Get Dis Money remix?
Aug 31st 2014

unheard78
9 posts
Mon Aug-18-14 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: J Dilla - Pizza Man beat tape"
In response to Reply # 0

Nothing?

walterroan
Member since Feb 15th 2006
342 posts
Mon Aug-18-14 06:42 PM

2. "RE: J Dilla - Pizza Man beat tape"
In response to Reply # 0

I've heard neither pizza or donuts BT...and I've heard quite a bit...maybe what it is IS already out there maybe it ain't...the donuts advance was a tad shorter than the retail ..I dunno

r.i.p. dilla

unheard78
9 posts
Mon Aug-18-14 08:10 PM

3. "RE: J Dilla - Pizza Man beat tape"
In response to Reply # 2

The Donuts advance is probably the Donuts beat tape I was talking about. I usually refer to the promo with the voiceover as the advance, though that was the same as the retail apart from the aforementioned voiceover. So yeah, shorter Donuts advance and the beat tape are the same thing.

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Mon Aug-18-14 10:23 PM

4. "I'm gonna let you in on the dark secret of Dilla's fanbase"
In response to Reply # 0

They ain't sharing anything with you unless you have something to share with them. So if there's something out there you think you haven't heard, chances are you probably won't be able to get it.

It's shitty and I hated it at first, but then I just moved on knowing I'll never really hear everything. That's the way the culture works, and it's predicated upon people snickering to each other knowing they have what others want, and sneering at those who, ya know, just wanna fucking hear the dudes music.

Man I'm getting pissed just remembering those days.

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 12:51 AM

5. "Leave J. Rocc alone lol n/m"
In response to Reply # 4

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 03:23 AM

6. "even now?"
In response to Reply # 4

I've never scoured the net looking for Dilla tapes, but I just assumed that by now, anything with the potential to get out would've gotten out. that wouldn't include stuff passed directly to his closest colleagues (Waajeed, Shoes, etc.), but I'd also assume that those cats would be beyond that petty 'I've got this and you don't'-type stuff. I realize that I'm making a lot of assumptions here, tho
basically, I don't see how real gems would end up in the possession of just another asshole on the internet.

personally, I LIKE knowing that there's "new" Dilla stuff out there, even if I don't have access to it. I haven't heard it all.

unheard78
9 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 09:32 AM

7. "RE: even now?"
In response to Reply # 6

It's funny about the whole "I've got it, nyah nyah nyah" attitude that a lot of collectors have. I've been part of those communities, mostly because I was invited or had something someone wanted. I respect their wishes for stuff not to be leaked, but I think it's ridiculous. It's not their music, so why hoard it? Share the wealth already!

Anyway, I definitely think Pizza Man leaked, though it's just a matter of things needing to be properly identified. And regarding my comment about having been part of collector communities, I'm not a member of any group of Dilla collectors. I think it's obvious since I'm asking about this stuff, but I figured I should mention that.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4873 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 10:16 AM

8. "It was the same way with Pac...(not sure if it still is)"
In response to Reply # 4

If you didn't have anything rare yourself, may as well go ask the f*cking wall for help.

Ascension
Member since Aug 25th 2003
6616 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 11:05 AM

9. "yep....exactly."
In response to Reply # 4

Instagram: ascensionmusic

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 04:38 PM

10. "It is elitist. But let me say this..."
In response to Reply # 4

I was fortunate enough to hear some serious Dilla shit about a month ago. Joints that would melt brains. Shout out to HouseShoes, who might still lurk.

The rabbit hole goes deeper than most people could ever imagine.

I didn't ask him for any of it either. I have no business holding that heat on my hard drive.

Dilla didn't want any of that stuff released for public consumption/criticism. We're damn lucky we heard the "usual" beat CDs everybody talks about.

The kind of stuff J.Rocc might play when he takes over Benji B's show is icing on the cake. Cassette hiss and all.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

PCProductions
1217 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 11:16 PM

11. "Paintings should be in museums"
In response to Reply # 10

Why? So people can see them. Are we better off letting rich or lucky collectors be the only ones to see and enjoy them?

Dilla didn't release everything he made because he had quality control, but we still wanna hear that stuff regardless of what he thought. If he made it in the first place and even handed it out to some people, it's certainly gonna be good enough for his fans.

When these guys that have all of this rare Dilla shit die, where will his stuff go? What if it gets lost? What if we never get to hear ANY of it because these idiots were too greedy to think of the consequences of hoarding his shit?

There's no excuse for this behavior. It's simply people relishing in the power they have over their peers in having what they want. Basic human instinct shit. And it's shameful and embarrassing, not to mention lame.

It made me embarrassed to call myself a fan of his for a while.

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 12:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "if you were meant to hear it it'd have a barcode n/m"
In response to Reply # 11

PCProductions
1217 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 12:45 PM

14. "I would happily pay for unadulterated beat tapes, for the record"
In response to Reply # 13

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "me too but just because"
In response to Reply # 14

*we* would doesn't necessarily mean *they* should release it.

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 09:23 PM

35. "Agreed"
In response to Reply # 33

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

CB_010
Member since Mar 01st 2006
725 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 09:33 AM

12. "so there's more?"
In response to Reply # 10

>The rabbit hole goes deeper than most people could ever
>imagine.
>

like whole tapes? or just tracks?

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Sun Aug-31-14 06:45 PM

40. "Tapes, tracks, remixes, loops he would ride around to…all that."
In response to Reply # 12

Bowls

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 02:46 PM

18. "that's part of the reason I started the blog"
In response to Reply # 4

this doesn't necessarily have to do with Dilla

but there was a comment I saw on a Youtube video of some song I was listening to, that pissed me off. said something like, "you shouldn't put the whole song up because people will turn it into MP3s" or something.

I went and found that record, transferred it digitally, cleaned it the hell up and uploaded the FLACs and gave people links.

GTFOH.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 01:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "whoever has this feel free to inbox me with a link, thanks..."
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

walterroan
342 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 01:32 PM

16. "RE: whoever has this feel free to inbox me with a link, thanks..."
In response to Reply # 15

Word up ..send it. Haha I,agree with sweeny a bit but some of the stuff not available to the masses that some of us have heard / been blessed with is a shame it won't be heard by more heads...I've been given stuff I was told to never share and I never will but it is a bummer sometimes..and trust and trustworthiness is alot to it..now I sound like an asshole..

r.i.p. dilla

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 02:01 PM

17. "^I'm with the Chief on this one.....inbox me too"

lol

worth a shot, at least

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 02:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "send my way too please"

no harm in asking

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

LuccaTunes
Member since Mar 11th 2008
372 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 10:26 PM

20. "Inbox?"
In response to Reply # 19

Muchobliged!

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Thu Aug-21-14 10:29 PM

21. "If this isn't one of the 05 tapes and it's being inboxed"

I'll take one.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

CB_010
Member since Mar 01st 2006
725 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 06:11 AM

23. "i second that"
In response to Reply # 21

inbox if you please

jaestat
Member since Dec 30th 2003
198 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 11:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "RE: If this isn't one of the 05 tapes and it's being inboxed"
In response to Reply # 21

Is it not? I feel like it has to be vol 3 of the 05 tapes

PCProductions
1217 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 12:51 PM

26. "I think that one was called "Dill Withers""
In response to Reply # 24

PhilWithers
Member since Jul 09th 2006
3702 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 12:55 AM

22. "Please hook me up"
In response to Reply # 0

If anyone has it.

I've been trying to to track this down for years.

walterroan
342 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 12:14 PM

25. "RE: Please hook me up"
In response to Reply # 22

Phil noone has this on here ...I've seen nothing to say otherwise I think,it's just one of the 05 mislabeled

r.i.p. dilla

PhilWithers
3702 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 02:19 PM

28. "I hope no one does "
In response to Reply # 25

Except for dillas family and dillas boys.

How awesome would it be to see that released?

Maybe on the 10th year anniversary of donuts?

I'm not too hopeful though. Seeing how his music has been handled since he passed is so sad.

walterroan
342 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 05:44 PM

30. "RE: I hope no one does "
In response to Reply # 28

I hear ya..it is sad how shit been handled..IM wit my boy shoes on this tip( he prolly don't remember my ass from the Detroit record store days hipp'n me to buy don't nobody care about us 12") the way the estate handle they business ...but who the funk am I to say..only dude I ever heard mention This beat tape anyways is .PBW and I agree wit pcp on internetz mislabeled beat tapes (made up stuff)

r.i.p. dilla

PCProductions
1217 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 12:54 PM

27. "This thread is a great example of Dilla's fan base mangling the integrit..."
In response to Reply # 0

Of everything he made. Hiccuped classix? It's the 2002 batches, idiots. 2005 Beat Tape #2? Was made in 2003. Old Donuts? Uh, the 1998 Batch?

Ugh.

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 06:36 PM

31. "Are those internet titles given to those tapes?"
In response to Reply # 27

Hiccuped Classix?
Old Donuts?

LOL. It's bad enough those 05 tapes were given fake titles
for each song.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

unheard78
9 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 03:56 PM

32. "RE: Are those internet titles given to those tapes?"
In response to Reply # 31

>Hiccuped Classix?
>Old Donuts?
>
>LOL. It's bad enough those 05 tapes were given fake titles
>for each song.

Gotta agree on the fake title crap and such. None of the tracks on Donuts probably had titles until they were considered for an official release, so why would any of the other tapes have official track names? I know the beat for the first half of DOOM's Gazillion Ear is named Dig It, but that might have more to do with licensing it after Dilla's death than anything else.

As for the Estate, I don't have anything bad to say about them. And before you say I'm being unrealistic, Dilla's affairs were not in order at the time of his death, and it's taken a long time to get them this far, so I'm sure they want to do a lot of things, but getting them done is really difficult. I'm sure someday we'll see more official releases, even from Dilla's later periods, but there are a lot of clearances to be done. I still don't know how they managed to clear every track off Donuts, or if they did. Let's face it, people making beats are usually not lawyers, and would you want to hear lawyer-approved beats?

uniqueterror
Member since Aug 08th 2003
3906 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 09:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
34. "I'm thinking all 3 of those "Beat CD '05" ones were made in 2003"
In response to Reply # 27

>Of everything he made. Hiccuped classix? It's the 2002
>batches, idiots. 2005 Beat Tape #2? Was made in 2003. Old
>Donuts? Uh, the 1998 Batch?
>
>Ugh.

The first one had the beat De La released in 2003. The second with "Do You" that SV released in 2004. Up until a couple days ago, I realized Nick Speed put out "Checkmate" and "Love is Here" in early 2004, which came off the third one.

You think maybe those goofy track names came from either Shoes, 15 or J.Rocc?

---
http://i.imgur.com/LDctBHv.gif

Ma, your children are OK. 4.7.49-9.21.09

'Come to your house like a check from Columbia House.' - DEE, JAY. "Move." Fuck The Police. Up Above, 2001.

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 10:20 PM

36. "no."
In response to Reply # 34

>You think maybe those goofy track names came from either
>Shoes, 15 or J.Rocc?

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

walterroan
342 posts
Thu Aug-28-14 10:48 PM

37. "agreed..."
In response to Reply # 36
Thu Aug-28-14 10:49 PM by walterroan

No. Don't think they would name them

r.i.p. dilla

PCProductions
1217 posts
Fri Aug-29-14 05:43 PM

38. "RE: I'm thinking all 3 of those "Beat CD '05" ones were made in 2003"
In response to Reply # 34

>You think maybe those goofy track names came from either
>Shoes, 15 or J.Rocc?
>

I haven't confirmed this, but I think the names for the 1996-2000 batches are Questlove's naming. My suspicion roots from the names containing deep knowledge of sample sources along with his trademark, stream of consciousness style of writing.

Example names:
Do It See It Be It Dammit! (1999 Batch)
same tip drums minus the pass (2000 Batch)
Upper Gogypt, Lower Gogypt (1996 Batch)
joe pass and a ding w/ james on the synth

I could be wrong, but those feel like Questlove names to me.

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Sun Aug-31-14 06:43 PM

39. "Yep, and he got this sample wrong:"
In response to Reply # 38

>joe pass and a ding w/ james on the synth
>
>I could be wrong, but those feel like Questlove names to me.

Also, the 1999 batch that I downloaded has the "Dilla is GOD" iTunes tag. Pretty sure ?uest talked about labeling his Dilla beats this way.

Bowls

PhilWithers
3702 posts
Fri Aug-22-14 02:21 PM

29. "Can 15 or someone confirm it's not one of the tapes we all have?"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

PCProductions
1217 posts
Sun Aug-31-14 11:33 PM

41. "Speaking of Dilla treats, does anybody have the Get Dis Money remix?"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijM0EAcFBDA#t=0m22s

Second beat in that video would be cool as well.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2897090 Previous topic | Next topic