Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2896217

Subject: "how does a musical act referring to "their brand" make you feel?" Previous topic | Next topic
febreeze
Member since Jul 19th 2014
295 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 01:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"how does a musical act referring to "their brand" make you feel?"
Mon Aug-11-14 08:28 PM by febreeze

for me it's basically the full realization of corporations successfully introducing the financial concept of lessening "risk" and applying it to artistic mediums such as american music & film.

when the "artists" themselves are espousing marketing terminology in reference to their own "art".

that's a pretty solid indicator to let you know their music completely sucks based on their aversion to... taking risks.

hence, my post 1-2 years ago (deleted because obv too hot for the lesson) questioning if music could still genuinely be considered a form of expression anymore.

the neo-squares strike again.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
submitted for your amusement:
Aug 11th 2014
RE: submitted for your amusement:
Aug 11th 2014
      thanks for hollering back.
Aug 11th 2014
           RE: thanks for hollering back.
Aug 12th 2014
Of all the artists I fucks with
Aug 12th 2014
thanks for sharing.
Aug 12th 2014
      I'm so pissed at Trinidad James parlaying his brand to other endeavors!!
Aug 12th 2014
           i think you're focusing too heavily on "branding" as "diversification".
Aug 12th 2014
                the 'brand' ish came with the rise of social media
Aug 12th 2014
                     again...
Aug 12th 2014
Why do you make a fetish of risk-taking?
Aug 12th 2014
sorry i didn't convey my opinion in a logically irreproachable statement...
Aug 12th 2014
      You haven't answered the question.
Aug 12th 2014
           because "risk" in artistic mediums...
Aug 12th 2014
                RE: because "risk" in artistic mediums...
Aug 12th 2014
                     thanks for reading.
Aug 13th 2014
It depends where, and in what context, I hear them say it.
Aug 12th 2014
five years ago it was soul-crushingly depressing.
Aug 12th 2014
^^^^
Aug 13th 2014
RE: five years ago it was soul-crushingly depressing.
Oct 10th 2014
it makes me take the artist less seriously, frankly
Aug 12th 2014
RE: how does a musical act referring to "their brand" make you feel?
Aug 12th 2014
Wu-Tang Clan probably mastered the branding game
Aug 12th 2014
yea people acting like this is something new to hip hop is kind of weird
Aug 12th 2014
RE: how does a musical act referring to "their brand" make you feel?
Aug 12th 2014
I've always hated Kanye, but you're spot-on with that.
Aug 13th 2014
      RE: I've always hated Kanye, but you're spot-on with that.
Aug 13th 2014
           RE: I've always hated Kanye, but you're spot-on with that.
Aug 13th 2014
                all he does is trend-watch and buy art he likes from other artists.
Aug 13th 2014

Aug 13th 2014
half the acts dont know what that word means
Aug 12th 2014
so did j. cole make that mike brown song to further his "brand"?
Aug 18th 2014
I'm fine with it as long as I hear more about the actual music
Aug 19th 2014
The same way I feel about most MBA-ish neologisms
Aug 19th 2014
RE: The same way I feel about most MBA-ish neologisms
Sep 10th 2014

febreeze
295 posts
Mon Aug-11-14 08:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "submitted for your amusement:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ1NW_ZjBz4#at=418

i know we've grown acclimated to this sort of thing...
but put this into perspective.

this an interview between a young (<30) rapper and the wall street fucking journal, not about music but about the business and monetizatin of his music.

one of the key topics: walking back on your lyrics because it might hurt your future earning potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ1NW_ZjBz4&t=03m35s

forget the backward hats, the vernacular, the garb.
the neo-square usually comes cloaked in "counter-culture".

iHoller
Member since Aug 06th 2014
52 posts
Mon Aug-11-14 11:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: submitted for your amusement:"
In response to Reply # 1

what do you mean, and what is it that you're asking?

is it the fault of the said artist that they're referring to themselves as a brand when the climate of the market itself has turned people, music and art into a "product."

febreeze
295 posts
Mon Aug-11-14 11:49 PM

3. "thanks for hollering back."
In response to Reply # 2

how do you personally feel when a musical act refers to his or herself's personal "brand"?

do you cringe in revilement?
do you nod to yourself in silent approval?

what do you make of this relatively new occurrence?

i shared my own thoughts and i included a clip to re-enforce my stance; but it's not about me.

how do you feel about it?

iHoller
Member since Aug 06th 2014
52 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 08:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "RE: thanks for hollering back."
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Aug-12-14 08:24 AM by iHoller

how do you personally feel when a musical act refers to his or herself's personal "brand"?
it makes me question the substance of that musical "act." or to know to at least make sure not to hold it in the same esteem as those i deem to be more than a brand. brand is more synonymous with style. substance is the art itself. substance = purity, raw. brand=cut

i don't like it but i understand.

do you cringe in revilement?
i used to more than i do now. it's kinda like how women tend to be referred to in hip hop. i don't necessarily agree with it, but i understand why it's done.
do you nod to yourself in silent approval?
see last response.

what do you make of this relatively new occurrence?
it's the internet and broken business model's fault.

i shared my own thoughts and i included a clip to re-enforce my stance; but it's not about me.

how do you feel about it?
music used to be about the art and THEN making money. now it's just a big political election. and most of the time it is won by the person with a better campaign.

MUSIC business. not music BUSINESS. music should come first,

"but people like shiny." and "nice guys finish last..." most of the time.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 12:05 AM

4. "Of all the artists I fucks with"
In response to Reply # 0

I've only really heard it from The Roots and actually came to accept that as a fact before hearing them say it. The interesting thing is that they've utilized that brand to do things which fall more out of what the original brand was. Go figure.

Other artists don't say it but have shown how branding has shaped their careers in the music. So many electronic artists do soundtrack and licensing work and you can hear that. I mena labels foster that because they get rights for licensing and then scour their catalog to put together sync compilations to sell the artists to the brands. Artists that comply start getting checks from sync deals they didn't even realize they earned and then start makign the music for those but rather than separating that as their sync work release it under their brand.

I think in those situations the best ones draw the line. I was kind of disappointed to see Two Fingers listed as the theme music for Orphan Black, but then remembered that it is kind of an alias. But the alias previously featured a rapper and now it was doing gneeric theme music, good mind you but not up to par of the artist himself. Though it did again make the last Two Fingers release which was a watered down version of where they started from, make complete sense. Meanwhile their main brand is still touring the globe on some more out experimental shit.

But I think you're probably talking about artists you don't like in the first place right?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

febreeze
295 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 12:18 AM

7. "thanks for sharing."
In response to Reply # 4

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 12:33 AM

8. "I'm so pissed at Trinidad James parlaying his brand to other endeavors!!"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue Aug-12-14 12:34 AM by imcvspl

Dumb ass labels should have never made that couple mil off his flash in the pan ass one year and used him as a write-off the next year because even though that's how the labels do business, it's wrong because I don't like it. It just makes me so angry that his no talent as was able to use this whole 'brand' thing towards something he actually cared about at the expense of my ears which had to suffer because I don't know how to ignore music I don't like.

HULK SMASH HULK SMASH!!

happy now?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

febreeze
295 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 12:46 AM

9. "i think you're focusing too heavily on "branding" as "diversification"."
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Aug-12-14 12:57 AM by febreeze

while "branding" certainly can allow for exponential growth through diversifying a cachet of other "businesses" based off an initial success found in music (roc-a-wear as one notable example); they aren't necessarily the same thing or was it the point i was making in the OP.

how do you feel about a musical act, proven or unproven, operating or viewing them self as a "brand"...
and explicitly referring to themselves as such... (very trendy)
and presumably guiding their artistry and career choices based on a similar type of "risk management" corporations and other entities employ in free enterprise?
...whether they ultimately have plans of diversification or not.

when a musical act simply refers to "their brand" nowadays, how do you feel about it?
what does it inherently speak to or suggest about that act and how they view their "art"?

is it "avant-garde" artistry or the complete and utter opposite?

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 01:30 AM

12. "the 'brand' ish came with the rise of social media"
In response to Reply # 9

literally everyone on facebook/twitter etc. is trying to manage their brand. you can go on one of them right now and find someone talking about themselves as a brand. this is the new normal.

i mean at the end of the day labels have been branding artists since forever, should we be mad at artists at least nominally owning up to their own brnad. they are more or less laying their labels expectations of them on the table. that's what they got into this shit for because that's how the industry was branded to them. it's ouroboros type shit which is either you focus on or ignore until it has some relevancy to your actual listening habits.

you call it trendy. i'm not so I don't keep up on who said what about their brand. i notice it when it affects my listening. otherwise it's about as hot air as folks talking about their movements in the 90's and 00's.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

febreeze
295 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 01:38 AM

13. "again..."
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Aug-12-14 01:51 AM by febreeze

when an "artist" adopts a "branding" mentality esp. openly in discussing their own "art", have they not almost entirely surrendered the concept of being an "artist"?

it's one thing for an artist to be censored by "powers that be", but when the artist them self bite their own tongue to consciously preserve their "brand"?

imo, it's offensive to the listeners intelligence at the very least.

when supposedly "artistic" people nowadays start talking about "their brand" - it's usually a pretty good indicator that they absolutely suck at what they do.

i mean the mere act of discussing or admitting something like that openly used to be totally unacceptable coming from an "artist".

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 12:09 AM

5. "Why do you make a fetish of risk-taking?"
In response to Reply # 0

>that's a pretty solid indicator to let you know their music
>completely sucks based on their aversion to... taking risks.

You've just proposed this:

1. All music that doesn't take risks sucks.

Is this proposition then true?

2. All music that takes risks doesn't suck.

Or merely this one?

3. Some music that takes risks doesn't suck.

If 1 and 2 are true, then risk-taking is the only factor involved in determining musical merit.

If 1 and 3 are true, then there must be another factor besides risk-taking that determines musical merit. What is that factor?

febreeze
295 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 12:18 AM

6. "sorry i didn't convey my opinion in a logically irreproachable statement..."
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Aug-12-14 12:25 AM by febreeze

replace "completely" with "probably" for the solution.

Buck
16160 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 12:55 AM

10. "You haven't answered the question."
In response to Reply # 6

Why do you place so much value on risk-taking?

febreeze
295 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 01:09 AM

11. "because "risk" in artistic mediums..."
In response to Reply # 10
Tue Aug-12-14 01:28 AM by febreeze

is literally behind driving every innovation and change there has been.

anything "new" comes with a degree of risk attached.

the risk that the "new" idea is untested and won't satisfy.
the risk that the "new" ideas might not be executed in a way so that it resonates with an audience on any significant level.
the risk that said material will not be lucrative as a result of these things.

anything "challenging" whether it be performance or potentially the material composed has different kinds of "risk" involved.

in fact, i theorized in another thread that the risk of failure itself was the innate human drawing power in a physical performance.

when you attempt to hedge music or films through broadening the common denominator, homogeneity or a poor evocation of some previously successful "staple":
imo, you actually end up doing the opposite of what you've set out to do.

running a normal business that way is one thing.
but running "artistic" output with that mentality is something completely different.
and it's a mentality that didn't exist in the entertainment industry to the degree it does now before the late-90's.
the proof of that is evident, as is the recessing financial returns in applying shrewd business concepts to "art".

"risk" has been responsible for most of the greatest grossing music and films in american entertainment history.
but at the very least, the most provocative and critically-acclaimed.
the same "risks" that have been retracted in contemporary times in an attempt to maximize monetization and capturing market share.

piracy is one thing; but perhaps another major cause why the purchasing power of contemporary music is in the toilet?

Buck
16160 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 09:28 AM

17. "RE: because "risk" in artistic mediums..."
In response to Reply # 11

>is literally behind driving every innovation and change there
>has been.

But "change" is something different than "sucks." Now you seem to be valuing change for change's sake.

>anything "new" comes with a degree of risk attached.
>
>the risk that the "new" idea is untested and won't satisfy.
>the risk that the "new" ideas might not be executed in a way
>so that it resonates with an audience on any significant
>level.
>the risk that said material will not be lucrative as a result
>of these things.

And one can find countless examples of artists whose inability to change or find something new killed their careers. Releasing the same music over and again = commercial death, in most cases.

>anything "challenging" whether it be performance or
>potentially the material composed has different kinds of
>"risk" involved.

But there's all sorts of challenging music out there, and all of it more available than ever before. Are you choosing to not find it? What body of music are we then discussing? Just what's played on commercial radio?

>when you attempt to hedge music or films through broadening
>the common denominator, homogeneity or a poor evocation of
>some previously successful "staple":
>imo, you actually end up doing the opposite of what you've set
>out to do.

Example?

>running a normal business that way is one thing.
>but running "artistic" output with that mentality is something
>completely different.
>and it's a mentality that didn't exist in the entertainment
>industry to the degree it does now before the late-90's.

Bullshit. How old are you?

>piracy is one thing; but perhaps another major cause why the
>purchasing power of contemporary music is in the toilet?

Concert grosses have never been higher.

febreeze
295 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 04:55 PM

25. "thanks for reading."
In response to Reply # 17
Wed Aug-13-14 04:55 PM by febreeze

rather than go back and forth, i'll agree to disagree.

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 02:18 AM

14. "It depends where, and in what context, I hear them say it."
In response to Reply # 0

If I hear them speak about their brand in a personal conversation, I don't have a problem with it at all. If I hear them speaking about it in an interview, and they're speaking about how they're trying to be successful in their careers, how to fine tune their image, or how to connect with people outside of their music, then I don't really have a problem with it there, either.

Only times I really dislike it is when they're either talking about their brand to 1.) brag about themselves, or 2.) when they're actually talking about attention to their "brand" being involved in the actual creation of their music. That's not to say that I hate if the brand comes up in their creative process, especially if the brand is actually consistent with who they are, but I don't like to hear the marketing/corporate language used when someone is actually talking about their art.

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 03:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "five years ago it was soul-crushingly depressing."
In response to Reply # 0

today, I've more or less accepted as a reality of the business as it exists and even use it myself... but I find it impossible to talk about "brands" without the insulation of sarcastic finger quotes.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous and it is a tacit admission that everything sucks. And I agree about the risk-aversion thing.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 10:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 15

it wasn't really all that explicitly discussed in the music business's heyday; nowadays, it just sounds "fake it 'til you make it" as hell.

it used to bother me, now it's a sad example of even the artists themselves have gone "corporate".

hangin_with_mr_bammer
Member since Oct 10th 2014
63 posts
Fri Oct-10-14 12:00 PM

35. "RE: five years ago it was soul-crushingly depressing."
In response to Reply # 15

thanks for your reply.

CalvinButts
Member since Jun 20th 2014
854 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 09:43 AM

18. "it makes me take the artist less seriously, frankly"
In response to Reply # 0

i see the value in artists building a brand, there's nothing wrong w/ that essentially...they have to engage in commerce to keep making music

but i would think serious artists' brands would be based on their actual art

therefore if an artist is literally *talking* about their brand or their marketing as an actual means of selling you on their art? that reeks of capitalist "cannibalism" & turns me off immediately

rappers like Jay Z have commodofied the image of Rap to the point where cats are selling their hustle ITSELF rather than hustling to sell their actual art

that's ass backwards & tells you how seriously some of these fuckers take their actual art

as for the star-fucking, idol-worshipping idiots that lap this shit up like Spuds Mackenzie in front of a saucer of miller lite?

i feel sorry for their mothers

_________
steamrollin'

Tycredo
Member since Oct 06th 2012
366 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 10:01 AM

19. "RE: how does a musical act referring to "their brand" make you feel?"
In response to Reply # 0

On one hand, it's unfortunate because it equates your favorite artist to Jif peanut butter or something.

On the other, it may more about "giving a name" to something that already exists. I think there's a misconception that only mainstream(ish) artists are "branded"…but this happens in people's minds at a much lower level…Even the "outsiders" are branded…Radiohead, the Roots, even smallish punk bands have an "image" or "brand".

I used to really hate it, but now maybe it's a necessary evil, a way for an artist to survive, because essentially, branding means $.

And…being the "non branded, true artist" can also be a brand….

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 01:09 PM

20. "Wu-Tang Clan probably mastered the branding game"
In response to Reply # 0

Way back in the day.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 01:53 PM

21. "yea people acting like this is something new to hip hop is kind of weird"
In response to Reply # 20

RUN DMC
Wu Tang
Big Daddy Kane
etc
it's been going on

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 01:57 PM

22. "RE: how does a musical act referring to "their brand" make you feel?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ye's whole "brand" is built on risk...

I think ppl can hide behind the idea or use it to move the ball forward... always depends on the artist though...

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 05:24 PM

26. "I've always hated Kanye, but you're spot-on with that."
In response to Reply # 22

IMO, his critical acclaim post-2007 is mainly rooted in the idea that he's not "afraid" to do something different.

His brand remains strong, but his co-production list is long.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

febreeze
295 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 05:48 PM

27. "RE: I've always hated Kanye, but you're spot-on with that."
In response to Reply # 26
Wed Aug-13-14 05:51 PM by febreeze

>His brand remains strong, but his co-production list is long.

buying your "risk" from unknown struggling up-and-coming "artists" to perpetuate your "brand" another year isn't cheap!

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 05:59 PM

28. "RE: I've always hated Kanye, but you're spot-on with that."
In response to Reply # 27

C'mon bro.. I've been up to Shangri-la a few times.. He isn't "adding hi hats" ... Everything he is doing including the people he collabs with are his vision from the onset..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

febreeze
295 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 06:14 PM

29. "all he does is trend-watch and buy art he likes from other artists."
In response to Reply # 28
Wed Aug-13-14 06:17 PM by febreeze

then goes on tirades championing his own "artistic" abilities to shout down his own internal deep-seated insecurities of being found out as a complete phony.

he's not making the beats, writing the rhymes, taking the pictures, filming the videos or likely even picking his own clothes.

yet... HE'S the "artist"?
no, he's a pop-star.

he's an "artist" the same way someone who curates a tumblr page full of re-posts is an "artist".

he creates nothing. he owns. © gordon gekko

but at least he's taking "risks".
albeit, by buying the "risks" other people are taking in their art.

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Wed Aug-13-14 11:12 PM

30. ""
In response to Reply # 28

>C'mon bro.. I've been up to Shangri-la a few times.. He isn't
>"adding hi hats" ... Everything he is doing including the
>people he collabs with are his vision from the onset..
>
>

His "vision" is cloudy as hell.

I just wish the music was good.

You're the type of dude to say "you just don't get it" though.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

jeanlouis61
Member since Dec 02nd 2005
3416 posts
Tue Aug-12-14 03:45 PM

23. "half the acts dont know what that word means"
In response to Reply # 0

its just a sexy word to kick around to make you sound smart. but the idea should be that i understand what appeals to the people, but balances with my arts. from what I am creating, to how I am going to push it. the labels will do the branding for you, but u might not like what they give u. Nas was a victim of that.

a lot of people dont realize how limited their brand can be. if your brand is I'm an ill hood rapper, than its like "cool, but what separates you from the last million guys that wanted to do that?"

follow me @oldirtyplaster on the Twitter thing.....i say awesome stuff

febreeze
295 posts
Mon Aug-18-14 12:54 PM

31. "so did j. cole make that mike brown song to further his "brand"?"
In response to Reply # 0

smh.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 10:20 AM

32. "I'm fine with it as long as I hear more about the actual music"
In response to Reply # 0

Nothing wrong with brands, it's a natural progression and should be used as a means to maintain integrity

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Tue Aug-19-14 07:51 PM

33. "The same way I feel about most MBA-ish neologisms"
In response to Reply # 0

Like the person relies on catch phrases a lot and probably makes a living by getting other people to do stuff rather than doing much of anything himself

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

fish_grease
Member since Sep 08th 2014
17 posts
Wed Sep-10-14 12:43 PM

34. "RE: The same way I feel about most MBA-ish neologisms"
In response to Reply # 33

>Like the person relies on catch phrases a lot and probably
>makes a living by getting other people to do stuff rather than
>doing much of anything himself

ha.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2896217 Previous topic | Next topic