Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2894655

Subject: "J Live" Previous topic | Next topic
Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 08:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: J Live"

Where you got J Live when it comes to technically skilled MCs?

Poll result (22 votes)
Top 10 (4 votes)Vote
Top 20 (8 votes)Vote
Top 30 (1 votes)Vote
Top 50 (6 votes)Vote
Top 100 (2 votes)Vote
He ain't got no hits yo (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Top 2o I'd say without thinking hard
Jul 30th 2014
Top 10 purely off of his 1st 2 album
Jul 30th 2014
RE: J Live
Jul 30th 2014
RE: J Live
Jul 31st 2014
He's a top 10 MC, but not my favorite rapper
Jul 31st 2014
he's kinda the definitive preachy nerd guy that talks down to his audien...
Jul 31st 2014
      RE: he's kinda the definitive preachy nerd guy that talks down to his au...
Jul 31st 2014
      i respect the guy a lot & understand your issues w/ what i typed
Jul 31st 2014
      It's okay.
Aug 01st 2014
           RE: It's okay.
Aug 04th 2014
                but the Roots do interesting things musically
Aug 04th 2014
                I agree...
Aug 04th 2014
      Can you give some examples of the "talking down to his audience" thing?
Aug 04th 2014
           first video that comes up when you google his name
Aug 04th 2014
                In the lineage...
Aug 04th 2014
top 20 all time, top 10 of current cats putting out music
Jul 31st 2014
i want to esteem this cat but he's so boring
Jul 31st 2014
RE: i want to esteem this cat but he's so boring
Jul 31st 2014
I somewhat agree...
Aug 01st 2014
      an Oddisee/J-Live album would be potentially great
Aug 03rd 2014
De La Soul-level wordplay. VERY questionable ear for beats.
Jul 31st 2014
he's only had one album with lackluster beats on it though
Jul 31st 2014
VERY underrated.. not sure about rank, i'd guess top 50....
Aug 01st 2014
Technical skill I'll put him in the top 50. Too didactic for my taste t...
Aug 01st 2014
RE: Technical skill I'll put him in the top 50. Too didactic for my tas...
Aug 03rd 2014
I can't agree and here's why
Aug 03rd 2014
      RE: I can't agree and here's why
Aug 04th 2014
      do you really think being a sanctimonious snob is going to...
Aug 04th 2014
           RE: do you really think being a sanctimonious snob is going to...
Aug 04th 2014
                you're one of the least self-aware "Educated Brothas" on here yo
Aug 04th 2014
                     RE: you're one of the least self-aware "Educated Brothas" on here yo
Aug 04th 2014
                          it's not personal, it's a rap music discussion, shit is never personal
Aug 04th 2014
                               ...coming at me...
Aug 04th 2014
      can you cite some specific examples of him doing this?
Mar 04th 2015
he's the Amel Larrieux of rap
Aug 03rd 2014
What's boring about A Charmed Life?
Aug 04th 2014
Lack of ignorance = boring
Aug 04th 2014
i'm normally the first one preaching that gospel but
Aug 04th 2014
RE: Lack of ignorance = boring
Aug 04th 2014
he boring to SOME of us. deal with it
Aug 04th 2014
"Boring" is a stretch but I see your point
Mar 04th 2015
Kinda feel a lot of you are conflating your knowledge of his past profes...
Aug 04th 2014
RE: Kinda feel a lot of you are conflating your knowledge of his past pr...
Aug 04th 2014
new video from new album, "Pay It Forward"
Mar 04th 2015

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 08:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Top 2o I'd say without thinking hard"
In response to Reply # 0

and when I say that he's outside of the top technical guys, I mean that he's not that far behind them really
he's never been the weak point on any of his albums; the lyricism and technical skill is always sharp and intact

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

I. Motion
Member since Jun 17th 2009
836 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 08:31 PM

2. "Top 10 purely off of his 1st 2 album"
In response to Reply # 1

Dude really is shamefully underrated

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 10:38 PM

3. "RE: J Live"
In response to Reply # 0

Brother is all time top 10 MC….that said, I expected so much more from his latest release….

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

saito2
Member since Apr 12th 2013
28 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 05:14 AM

4. "RE: J Live"
In response to Reply # 0

Top 10 easy J-Live is consistent in his craft. One of the few MC's that still have me rewinding tracks to get a better listen at the content.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "He's a top 10 MC, but not my favorite rapper"
In response to Reply # 0

He's really sound, and his wordplay is phenomenal. However, he's not the most charismatic rapper out there. He's also smarter than most his listeners, and raps at a higher level than 90% of his peers. And to be honest, most people aren't listening to understand how creative his lyrics are. So I understand why he doesn't have the mass appeal, or why he never will.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

CalvinButts
Member since Jun 20th 2014
854 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 07:15 PM

9. "he's kinda the definitive preachy nerd guy that talks down to his audien..."
In response to Reply # 5

it gets as tiring listening to a guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room as it does listening to fools that think they're the toughest

that said his verse on Handsome Boy's first LP was utterly amazing

_________
steamrollin'

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 09:08 PM

11. "RE: he's kinda the definitive preachy nerd guy that talks down to his au..."
In response to Reply # 9
Thu Jul-31-14 09:12 PM by spidey

So you think he should have dumbed it down? Brother does him, and I never got the sense that he was talking down to people. Long live the art of MC'n and what are you saying about the audience? I call BS...

CalvinButts
854 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 09:18 PM

13. "i respect the guy a lot & understand your issues w/ what i typed"
In response to Reply # 11

fair criticisms of my criticisms

that's just how i feel about it, he comes across as kinda snobby but this is Rap so i guess it's kinda a requirement

_________
steamrollin'

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 10:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "It's okay."
In response to Reply # 11

>So you think he should have dumbed it down? Brother does
>him, and I never got the sense that he was talking down to
>people. Long live the art of MC'n and what are you saying
>about the audience? I call BS...

I don't think he talks down to the audience, but just talks over the most rap listeners ears. He could dumb it down, but then he wouldn't be the MC that he is. It works for him, but it isn't that path to fame and riches. Or record sales. Which kinda sucks for me, because I know he's a refined taste, and not something that will be able to be tolerated by most people.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 12:34 AM

23. "RE: It's okay."
In response to Reply # 15
Mon Aug-04-14 12:46 AM by spidey

And I would say it's about elevation, just like a lot of the Roots ish, they always look to elevate what is defined as Hip Hop (with mixed results imo), but to me, this mindset is where Live seems to come from….Elevation of the art. Is there not a lot to be said for an artist that is still eating off of Hip Hop and still is doing it on his own terms? Brother has been in the game for a long time, and best believe he knows he is not going to get mainstream love….Call it what you will, but I don't think at this stage in his career he is motivated by "the fame and riches"…brother is eating, and doing his art how he wants, gotta respect it…

CalvinButts
854 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 07:27 AM

26. "but the Roots do interesting things musically"
In response to Reply # 23

what people are trying to tell you is that we appreciate the effort & recognize the skill but his music is bland & that doesn't balance out his sanctimony enough to put him near the top of any lists

_________
steamrollin'

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 11:15 AM

29. "I agree..."
In response to Reply # 23

I'm not arguing that he needs to change his style to suit the masses, just lamenting that the general populace will never listen to what he has to say.

For instance, I think "School's In" is one of the dopest songs ever. It was also one of the first songs he ever put out. It's essentially a primer on how a hip hop fan should listen to the music, and how to listen and understand deeper. However, he always comes from that perspective that he has taught his fans how to listen deeper, so now it's time for the upper level wordplay and lyricism. Which I enjoy, but I also know that will remover his accessibility from most.

I don't want him to change at all. I appreciate the guy and give him props whenever I can. I just want more people to enjoy the wizardry this guy puts on the mic.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 11:38 AM

30. "Can you give some examples of the "talking down to his audience" thing?"
In response to Reply # 9

Not testing you here, just legitimately curious because I never have gotten that impression from his music.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

CalvinButts
854 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 12:10 PM

36. "first video that comes up when you google his name"
In response to Reply # 30
Mon Aug-04-14 12:11 PM by CalvinButts

the recent song produced by Oddisee, Money Matters

it's a good song

but towards the end of the 1st verse and for really the whole 2nd verse he's talking down to folks, telling them how they are mismanaging their money and need to do a better job of it

i understand rappers talking down to their audience is essentially in the job description, but sometimes, as a working person myself who has trouble saving money due to the cost of living vs. what i make, i'd rather not hear some rapper telling me i'm not doing it right

if i wanna blow my cash on a stack of vinyl b/c it makes my life better, who the &^%* is he to tell me i should bank it instead?

the worst part (lol) is he's presenting it as though he's trying to educate and help the masses, speaking to his peers on equal terms, but he's giving instructions to other grown men on how to live, we're grown, we know this shit, life is not a rap song homie.

(awaits "aw you took it personally, stop being a hit dog baby and save more money or shut up" response)

_________
steamrollin'

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 01:18 PM

40. "In the lineage..."
In response to Reply # 36

...of the art, is that not part of the role of the MC to speak knowledge and impart wisdom?

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 06:44 PM

6. "top 20 all time, top 10 of current cats putting out music"
In response to Reply # 0

I will never understand how or why he is so slept on.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

CalvinButts
854 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 07:02 PM

7. "i want to esteem this cat but he's so boring "
In response to Reply # 0

i respect his skill but i just can't give a fuck about him

_________
steamrollin'

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 09:16 PM

12. "RE: i want to esteem this cat but he's so boring "
In response to Reply # 7

Boring? I prefer genius, mature level spit...a few cases in point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqgWDoLl1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdESw7u906A ---Incredible---

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 11:24 AM

16. "I somewhat agree..."
In response to Reply # 7

Hist first two are excellent, but since then its been pointless and borderline unlistenable.

And how under-rated can a rapper be when this thread pops up literally every 2-3 months???

I'm really tried of the "he didn't sell out" or "he's just too smart for listeners" excuse like its still 2002.

That's no longer an excuse to make BORING music.

Dude is incredibly talented, but he makes BORING music. Over BAD beats.

Its not because he's too smart, or because he didn't dumb it down, etc. He just makes boring music.

Now, if he did a full album with say...Oddisee or Kev Brown or someone on the boards the entire album, I'd definitely get hyped.

But then again I would for most rappers.

CalvinButts
854 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 09:00 AM

18. "an Oddisee/J-Live album would be potentially great"
In response to Reply # 16

_________
steamrollin'

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 07:02 PM

8. "De La Soul-level wordplay. VERY questionable ear for beats."
In response to Reply # 0

I suppose the first part would make him Top 10, but the latter makes him not mentioned at all.

It doesn't feel right to rank a guy who only made ~15 songs I REALLY like and would still consider listening to. Even 15 might be a stretch at this point.

I'm not digging rap that requires me to dismiss the beat. Maybe that'll change in the future, but I doubt it.

Big ups to J-Live for all those crazy records though.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Thu Jul-31-14 07:47 PM

10. "he's only had one album with lackluster beats on it though"
In response to Reply # 8

he picks great music usually, that LP he put out with cookie cutter beats was him trying to do everything himself

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 08:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "VERY underrated.. not sure about rank, i'd guess top 50...."
In response to Reply # 0

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 12:11 PM

17. "Technical skill I'll put him in the top 50. Too didactic for my taste t..."
In response to Reply # 0

He's like Posdonous without the wit and charisma.

4 Better or 4 Worse

MC_LOGIC
Member since Jan 08th 2013
173 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 03:12 PM

19. "RE: Technical skill I'll put him in the top 50. Too didactic for my tas..."
In response to Reply # 17

>He's like Posdonous without the wit and charisma.
>
>4 Better or 4 Worse

this is the perfect discription

http://www.signedtomyself.com/

Twitter: @mclogic

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MC-LOGIC/169137640676?ref=hl

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 08:05 PM

21. "I can't agree and here's why"
In response to Reply # 17

he's a teacher and he approaches his craft like he's a student of it
the way he engages a beat is different than most other emcees because instead of just rapping over it, he tends rap with, under, and through it and he makes it look like he isn't really doing anything impressive
listen to All of the Above and you'll see the different paths he takes within a song, and the music he raps to on that record is really unorthodox rhythmically

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 12:25 AM

22. "RE: I can't agree and here's why"
In response to Reply # 21

…well said, cat is just that nice….what I am getting from this post, which is sad, is people simply not appreciating grown up topics/concepts…as a an educated brother, I appreciate that level of thought put into the art, while still keeping it true school….to each their own, but to call his ish boring, I just don't see where that comes from. Case in point, grown folks can't appreciate stuff like this? The message, the depth…come on y'all…

"Brooklyn Public Pt. 1"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb34jE-Uf6k

Isn't this where we all thought the art of Hip Hop could evolve too? Slick ish with a message….Who in the Hip Hop world is talking about such topics, in this case questioning the educational system...

CalvinButts
854 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 07:33 AM

28. "do you really think being a sanctimonious snob is going to..."
In response to Reply # 22

help your case?

i mean jesus christ dude

just say "the peasants do not understand J Live & my superior intellect, 7 & 7/16ths ounces of brain and maturity level" and save yourself the keystrokes

_________
steamrollin'

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 11:48 AM

33. "RE: do you really think being a sanctimonious snob is going to..."
In response to Reply # 28
Mon Aug-04-14 11:56 AM by spidey

No case to be made it's all conversation...But let me see if I have this right...I am a sanctimonious snob because I see value/talent and am entertained by an artist who truly respects his craft, is schooled (both streetwise and in the traditional sense), is creative, speaks upon social issues...What happened to Hip Hop??? Pass the Grey Poupon son, oh, and once this J-Live track is done, hook up that Sean PPPPPPP ish....

CalvinButts
854 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 11:56 AM

34. "you're one of the least self-aware "Educated Brothas" on here yo"
In response to Reply # 33

if you can't see how someone would find your whole posting style to be sanctimonious and snobbish then i don't know what to tell you

people think your boy is boring and moralizes too much

deal with it, son.

_________
steamrollin'

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 12:18 PM

37. "RE: you're one of the least self-aware "Educated Brothas" on here yo"
In response to Reply # 34

...so now it's personal? I guess the culture pointed me in a different direction than it did you....Alright man, Peace and continue to ELEVATE and be the best person you can be...

CalvinButts
854 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 12:39 PM

38. "it's not personal, it's a rap music discussion, shit is never personal"
In response to Reply # 37
Mon Aug-04-14 12:39 PM by CalvinButts

but you are above throwing shots at the intelligence and maturity level of *any* one who dare be critical of Justice Live

you don't say specific names, or be direct, you choose the passive agressive route of a blanket statement questioning ppl's intelligence and maturity because they don't like one of your favorite rappers and are able to articulate the reasons why, then do the BS "woe is the culture" thing when half the damn people you're taking passive agressive shots at spend their hard earned money on plenty of artists who "elevate" and do good things in the genre...this is just one rapper, taking an issue w/ him and his pretentiousness is not an invalid opinion to have no matter if you feel like you can write off everyone who does so as improperly understanding the culture you apparently are the master key holder of.

which is exactly why i said you are not very self-aware, or either you are being willfully obtuse b/c you think you have moral and intellectual high ground

you can laugh this off and take shots at where "the culture" led me and how you are one of the only true understanders and adherents of the culture, all you want, but don't expect folks not to call you out on it when you're being a sanctimonious pretentious snob.

_________
steamrollin'

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 01:55 PM

41. "...coming at me..."
In response to Reply # 38

labeling me is personal...Live is not everyones flavor, and I have already stated that I felt Live's new LP was weak overall, so this idea that he is beyond reproach by me is faulty. I would expect heads to expect more, really listen to what brothers are saying, attention to detail. I would ask you to take a step back and look at the culture, the art of the MC and where is stands right now. How do you feel about where the art of MC'n is? I am humble enough to evaluate my words, thoughts, but won't apologize for bigging up artists that seek to elevate the art form by adding a certain level of intelligence to the game. Never claimed to be some all knowing guru of Hip Hop, but what I can say is that I grew up in the Mecca and have no problem being labeled an older head who laments where the art has digressed too. Anyway, continue to enjoy what you enjoy and I appreciate the conversation....

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Wed Mar-04-15 09:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
43. "can you cite some specific examples of him doing this?"
In response to Reply # 21
Wed Mar-04-15 09:23 PM by bearfield

>the way he engages a beat is different than most other emcees
>because instead of just rapping over it, he tends rap with,
>under, and through it and he makes it look like he isn't
>really doing anything impressive
>listen to All of the Above and you'll see the different paths
>he takes within a song, and the music he raps to on that
>record is really unorthodox rhythmically

i just skimmed through the album and aside from the intro, like this anna, and stir of echoes what i'm mostly hearing is standard eighth note rhythms interspersed with the occasional pause to break up the flow

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 06:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "he's the Amel Larrieux of rap"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Aug-03-14 06:11 PM by melmag

incredible talented, higly acclaim & respect but ultimately make boring music

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 06:20 AM

24. "What's boring about A Charmed Life?"
In response to Reply # 20

The Best Part?
Like This Anna?
Practice?

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 06:56 AM

25. "Lack of ignorance = boring"
In response to Reply # 24

Remember, music is entertainment not an art form.

CalvinButts
854 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 07:29 AM

27. "i'm normally the first one preaching that gospel but"
In response to Reply # 25

in this case it's a cop out

_________
steamrollin'

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 11:39 AM

31. "RE: Lack of ignorance = boring"
In response to Reply # 25

Right on...this is where the music is as a whole...sad really, now leave me alone peasants and let me get on with my discussion at Cambridge on nuclear physics...

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 12:42 PM

39. "he boring to SOME of us. deal with it"
In response to Reply # 24

you like him that's great.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Wed Mar-04-15 09:30 PM

44. ""Boring" is a stretch but I see your point"
In response to Reply # 20

I think both are probably missing a certain charisma that creates a bigger/more passionate fanbase.

I think the second half of the 00s were when some Best Part/All of the Above fans started checking for his projects less. He probably could've used a good A&R or Exec producer to steer his music at that point. His new stuff sounds quite good though.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 11:45 AM

32. "Kinda feel a lot of you are conflating your knowledge of his past profes..."
In response to Reply # 0

with your stance on the quality of his music when giving your overall summary of him.

I'm just noticing cats mentioning how didactic he is, how he is allegedly "talking down" to listeners, etc., and I can't help but wonder if any of those opinions are partially informed by the well-known fact that in the beginning of his career, he was also a schoolteacher.

I don't get any kind of preachiness or sanctimonious vibe from the man's music. If we're going to step into that arena at all, I can only say that it's evident that he doesn't DUMB down for the music – which isn't to say that he is on some brainiac/genius shit, but J has never come across as a CARTOON CHARACTER, just a realistic human being who is also ridiculously skilled at rapping.

If anything has hurt him, I think it's his sometimes questionable beats. But even in saying that, I don't agree that he has only made 15 listenable songs throughout his career.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 11:59 AM

35. "RE: Kinda feel a lot of you are conflating your knowledge of his past pr..."
In response to Reply # 32

...and I think the beat argument is fair...I can give yall 25 J-Live BANGERS right now, so yes, dude has work...Peace!

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Wed Mar-04-15 08:18 PM

42. "new video from new album, "Pay It Forward""
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWh14DGpkIQ

he is just as good as he ever was.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2894655 Previous topic | Next topic