Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2893500

Subject: "The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 08:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"

http://raprehab.com/the-music-industry-hates-black-people/

"While watching the video for “Hot N****” by Epic Records’ newest artist Bobby Shmurda, I could hear a voice in my head repeatedly cry out, “the music industry hates Black people.”

Out of countless amazingly talented unsigned artists waiting for their big break, why would a record company sign yet another half-ass artist whose message is all about death, murder, guns, and more death? It couldn’t possibly be about all the money they project making off this Youtube one-hit wonder since the past couple of years have shown us that viral video stars like Trinidad James and Chief Keef don’t necessarily translate to real-world superstardom.

Why would music industry executives who are supposedly astute businessmen invest in the type of artists other labels don’t seem to have been very successful with? While these rappers may achieve short-term popularity, the amount of free mixtapes, guest appearances, and YouTube-to-MP3 music they put out can’t be profitable for the companies.

Why would someone like Bobby Shmurda get a major label deal on the strength of one poorly-produced video? Is it because Beyonce did the Shmoney Dance (Bobby’s signature move) during one of her shows? Is it because Jay Z shouted out the dance in a freestyle at a concert? Is it because Drake, Meek Mill, Raekwon (WTF Rae?) and Busta Rhymes co-signed Shmurda?

Why would a label invest in a mediocre rapper who may be “hot” for a minute but will undoubtedly fade into oblivion like so many of his forgettable predecessors? Is it because Bobby Shmurda is an underground sensation who kids in NY have been listening to for the past few months so Epic Records jumped on who they felt might be rap’s next flavor-of-the-moment before someone else does?

Or is it simply because the music industry’s agenda to promote death and dysfunction to Black youth is bigger than its desire to make money?

Yes, I’m a conspiracy theorist. I don’t care how many people ridicule me. I don’t care how many “real street cats” call me an out-of-touch Hip Hop purist who doesn’t know what today’s kids are into. I don’t care how many industry execs mock my extreme views and so-called lack of music business knowledge. I don’t care how many idiots call me a race-baiter. I don’t care how many call me a hater for criticizing a kid I don’t personally know without even giving him a chance to shine. I don’t care how many dumb asses try to convince me that if he didn’t get a record deal, he’d be out shooting or robbing folks (that seems to be a popular opinion on the internet right now). I don’t care how many tell me that Hip Hop can’t always be positive or that I need to leave the days of De La Soul and Public Enemy behind. I don’t care how many fools try to sell me on the idea that the labels are just giving the fans the kind of music they want. I don’t care how many of you tell me that a record company’s goal is to make money, not save lives. I don’t care how many major artists co-sign this misled kid. And I don’t care how many of his fans insult me.

Nothing you can say negates the fact that Bobby Shmurda and other similar rappers are promoting the worst kind of images and messages. Nothing you can argue negates the fact that what these labels are marketing is toxic, criminal, and racist. No other form of entertainment, be it pop, rock, country, electronic, video games, movies, or TV, glorifies the blatant death and destruction of Black people while passing it off as entertainment you can do a trendy dance to. Mainstream rap is the only form of entertainment that prides itself on depicting reality yet ends up only promoting the ugliest part of that “reality”, often resulting in real-life drama, murder, arrests, and jail sentences. Why does the music industry keep promoting something that any other industry would consider a poor investment and a huge liability? What kind of business can you think of, beyond the field of entertainment, that would knowingly employ someone who glorifies crime and all other forms of disturbing behavior…unless there was a damn good reason?
So what are the music industry’s reasons? Does it have anything to do with “the commercial rap to prison pipeline“? Is it about selling a lifestyle that will send impressionable youth to the private prisons media conglomerates invest in?
I know most of you hate conspiracy theories and will accuse me of spreading baseless allegations. However, how many of you can provide a perfectly ethical answer as to why promoting Black death has become “business as usual”? Please don’t tell me that it’s based on the age-old business model of “supply and demand” when we know that the social and financial cons of signing an artist like Bobby Shmurda outweigh the pros.
However, don’t let the Beyonces and Pharells of the world fool you. These pop artists exist because their mass appeal generates millions for the industry. Their success doesn’t take away from the fact that the worst kind of messages and images are still filtered through many Black artists who, despite never achieving megastar status, become popular enough to have a huge influence on fragile young minds, even if their limited success isn’t profitable for their label. These are the artists in question here.
If it really just came down to the argument that sex and violence in music sells, we’d see it equally produced by all ethnic groups and equally targeting all ethnic groups. However, besides Black people, I can’t think of another group, be it White, Asian, Latino, Christian, Jewish, etc, that the music industry feels as comfortable overtly disparaging without a second thought.

Shame on Sha Money XL, who got Shmurda signed, and shame on L.A. Reid, Epic Records’ CEO, for contributing to the perception of Black people as criminals at a time when so many police officers around the nation already see them as a threat for no other reason than being Black. I’m sure the money and accolades make it all worth it. I can’t help but wonder if L.A. Reid would’ve been as open to Shmurda’s “talent” during his time as a judge on X Factor.

Ultimately, once Bobby Shmurda’s 15 minutes of fame are up, record labels will quickly move on to the next “shoot-em-up rapper” and the industry’s big decision makers (Jimmy Iovine, The Lipmans, Barry Weiss, Doug Morris, etc) who market this poison will continue to remain silent and unseen, just like Klansmen protected by the anonymity of their hooded sheets. In the meantime, the deaf, dumb, and blind co-signers will keep making excuses for an industry that celebrates the death and destruction of Black people."

---

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

welp

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)
Jul 23rd 2014
Jul 23rd 2014
      The video synching, not the dance itself, is PART of the spark
Jul 28th 2014
Jul 23rd 2014
Yup.
Jul 23rd 2014
smh
Jul 23rd 2014
Jul 23rd 2014
Jul 23rd 2014
Jul 23rd 2014
      you guys are circling this right back to the author's main point
Jul 23rd 2014
      360 deals have made record sales less important
Jul 24th 2014
      generally speaking, Indie has always been best for rappers
Aug 02nd 2014
      RE: you guys are circling this right back to the author's main point
Jul 24th 2014
Jul 24th 2014
           Real talk...
Jul 27th 2014
Drake is a poor example. He is mega-successful
Jul 28th 2014
William Hung is one guy yet I can name ten terrible rappers with
Jul 24th 2014
      RE: William Hung is one guy yet I can name ten terrible rappers with
Jul 25th 2014
Jul 24th 2014
RE: Audience, Artist, and CEO
Jul 25th 2014
Jul 25th 2014
Jul 25th 2014
Jul 26th 2014
he is, and still not answering the Op/Swipe's question
Jul 27th 2014
      RE: he is, and still not answering the Op/Swipe's question
Jul 29th 2014
Wrong. White people hate black people.
Jul 26th 2014
^^^ slept on post right here.
Aug 03rd 2014
Probably this (plus quick cash while they're at it)
Jul 26th 2014
as for non-black artists promoting nonsense, he's wrong
Jul 28th 2014
RE: as for non-black artists promoting nonsense, he's wrong
Jul 28th 2014
      3rd Bass would predate him as a white 'conscious' artist
Jul 28th 2014
           RE: 3rd Bass would predate him as a white 'conscious' artist
Jul 28th 2014
                I thought scale was a typo for sale/sell. My bad.
Jul 29th 2014
                Very on point.
Aug 01st 2014
Um... we live in a society where black folks are killed by police
Jul 29th 2014
Jul 29th 2014
RE: Scarface Weighs In With Some Knowledge...
Jul 30th 2014
RE: Scarface Weighs In With Some Knowledge...
Aug 01st 2014
      sounds like you're following the same playbook
Aug 01st 2014
           RE: sounds like you're following the same playbook
Aug 02nd 2014
                All of this.
Aug 02nd 2014
                lol
Aug 03rd 2014
                     RE: lol
Aug 03rd 2014
Aug 03rd 2014
Aug 03rd 2014
Aug 04th 2014
you have tunnel vision
Aug 04th 2014

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 03:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

>Ultimately, once Bobby Shmurda’s 15 minutes of fame are up,
>record labels will quickly move on to the next “shoot-em-up
>rapper”

This assumption is what has to disappear.

Things can run their course.

I know because "gangsta rap" has been goin' on for a while, people assume it will always be a "plague"....but, it can eventually fade away.

Do I think "gangsta rap" will be replaced with another round of Neo-Soul? eh....not sure, but, even though it might be slow GANGSTA RAP CAN BECOME YESTERDAYS NEWS.

So, folks would be better looking for the next thing and stop thinking things will always continue in this manner.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7006 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 03:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 1

although.. Mr Shmurda is a 'gangster" rapper... to the outside world he is a "dude doing a feminine old lady dance".. I can sync him to slow songs... sync old men to his song.. sync cats to his songs etc...

So imo the "gangsta" part doesnt matter.. w/o the dance he never exists outside of his hood

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 09:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "The video synching, not the dance itself, is PART of the spark"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jul-28-14 10:00 AM by spirit

I don't think the dance itself is taking over clubs (I sure haven't seen anyone randomly busting it out), but all the Vines with R&B songs under the clip of Shmurda doing the dance is definitely part (but not ALL) of what made the song viral.

Nevertheless, people still went back to check out the original video as well. I think if the original video wouldn't have been as camaraderie-filled as it is, complete with the mystery of the flying hat, the dance itself wouldn't have mattered. The "Shmoney Dance" video has one fourth the hits that "Hot N---a" has, that pretty much seals this argument.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

double 0
7006 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 03:27 PM

2. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

They signed William Hung too.... and Rebecca Black and Psy...

They will runs pre roll ads in front of every YT video they can content ID.. and get on radio with a remix (supposedly w/ French)

Once something pierces the zeitgeist it can be monetized..

it's a money grab.. simply

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 03:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Yup."
In response to Reply # 2

>it's a money grab.. simply

While there's ALWAYS race involved, lets not forget America loves its Sex and Violence(c) BDP no matter what the source

CalvinButts
Member since Jun 20th 2014
854 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 04:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "smh"
In response to Reply # 2

_________
steamrollin'

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 05:19 PM

6. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 2

>They signed William Hung too.... and Rebecca Black and
>Psy...
>
>They will runs pre roll ads in front of every YT video they
>can content ID.. and get on radio with a remix (supposedly w/
>French)
>
>Once something pierces the zeitgeist it can be monetized..
>
>it's a money grab.. simply

YES SIR! If all these famous rappers are cosigning an artist, SOMEONE is gonna sign him, JUST IN CASE.

Record labels, from what I've seen, are NO LONGER interested in artist development. You have to already have a hit on your hands and they'll just assist in getting it greater recognition outside of your region.

If you get enough spins, you MIGHT get an album. Look at Trinidad. No album in sight. He may tell you that he's working on it, but I'm pretty sure that's just to make things seem brighter than their truly bleak state.

Of course the coons are gonna sign quickly, cause they're just in it for the quick money. Music is just a hustle to them.

All the TRULY talented up and coming artists aren't signing to majors due to the MANDATORY 360 deals that they are forced to sign if they want to fulfill that dream of being on a major.

Look at Nipsey, Chance, Mensa, etc...

Drake signed and got done in. I think cats are learning and we will see a resurgence of forward thinking hip hop without the restrictions of being on a major label. It just takes one cat to do it, and do it well, and the rest will follow.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

double 0
7006 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 05:36 PM

7. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 6

>>They signed William Hung too.... and Rebecca Black and
>>Psy...
>>
>>They will runs pre roll ads in front of every YT video they
>>can content ID.. and get on radio with a remix (supposedly
>w/
>>French)
>>
>>Once something pierces the zeitgeist it can be monetized..
>>
>>it's a money grab.. simply
>
>YES SIR! If all these famous rappers are cosigning an artist,
>SOMEONE is gonna sign him, JUST IN CASE.
>
>Record labels, from what I've seen, are NO LONGER interested
>in artist development. You have to already have a hit on your
>hands and they'll just assist in getting it greater
>recognition outside of your region.
>
>If you get enough spins, you MIGHT get an album. Look at
>Trinidad. No album in sight. He may tell you that he's
>working on it, but I'm pretty sure that's just to make things
>seem brighter than their truly bleak state.
>
>Of course the coons are gonna sign quickly, cause they're just
>in it for the quick money. Music is just a hustle to them.
>

This part was true... now below..

>All the TRULY talented up and coming artists aren't signing to
>majors due to the MANDATORY 360 deals that they are forced to
>sign if they want to fulfill that dream of being on a major.
>
>Look at Nipsey, Chance, Mensa, etc...
>
>Drake signed and got done in. I think cats are learning and
>we will see a resurgence of forward thinking hip hop without
>the restrictions of being on a major label. It just takes one
>cat to do it, and do it well, and the rest will follow.
>

Truly talented huh... Nipsey already HAD a deal. You know him BECAUSE he was signed to a major not in spite of. Chance had a nice little monetary cushion and Kids These Days (Vic) was signed (Universal) before they broke up.

Look. If you can make money on the road w/o a major and are not worried about scaling/radio then there is no need to sign. But if you want to be as big as you can be. Then some form of major involvement is inevitable. Especially now that so many white rappers are soaking up the indie money...

Drake is the biggest rapper currently and top 5 artist in the world. That doesn't happen w/o a major

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 06:50 PM

8. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 7

>>>They signed William Hung too.... and Rebecca Black and
>>>Psy...
>>>
>>>They will runs pre roll ads in front of every YT video they
>>>can content ID.. and get on radio with a remix (supposedly
>>w/
>>>French)
>>>
>>>Once something pierces the zeitgeist it can be monetized..
>>>
>>>it's a money grab.. simply
>>
>>YES SIR! If all these famous rappers are cosigning an
>artist,
>>SOMEONE is gonna sign him, JUST IN CASE.
>>
>>Record labels, from what I've seen, are NO LONGER interested
>>in artist development. You have to already have a hit on
>your
>>hands and they'll just assist in getting it greater
>>recognition outside of your region.
>>
>>If you get enough spins, you MIGHT get an album. Look at
>>Trinidad. No album in sight. He may tell you that he's
>>working on it, but I'm pretty sure that's just to make
>things
>>seem brighter than their truly bleak state.
>>
>>Of course the coons are gonna sign quickly, cause they're
>just
>>in it for the quick money. Music is just a hustle to them.
>>
>
>This part was true... now below..

Like what you did there.

>>All the TRULY talented up and coming artists aren't signing
>to
>>majors due to the MANDATORY 360 deals that they are forced
>to
>>sign if they want to fulfill that dream of being on a major.
>>
>>Look at Nipsey, Chance, Mensa, etc...
>>
>>Drake signed and got done in. I think cats are learning and
>>we will see a resurgence of forward thinking hip hop without
>>the restrictions of being on a major label. It just takes
>one
>>cat to do it, and do it well, and the rest will follow.
>>
>
>Truly talented huh... Nipsey already HAD a deal. You know him
>BECAUSE he was signed to a major not in spite of. Chance had
>a nice little monetary cushion and Kids These Days (Vic) was
>signed (Universal) before they broke up.

Personally, I found out about Nipsey from the mixtape circuit, which, true, may have been facilitated by his being signed to a major at the time. I was moreso speaking about his stance right now. I never really found out why his Atlantic deal fell through...

>Look. If you can make money on the road w/o a major and are
>not worried about scaling/radio then there is no need to sign.
> But if you want to be as big as you can be. Then some form
>of major involvement is inevitable. Especially now that so
>many white rappers are soaking up the indie money...

True. I've even said the same as you in previous posts where we've discussed similar topics. This time around, I was mainly stating that you can maintain some form of viability in the mainstream while remaining indy.

Although, I disagree somewhat that you can't be as big as you want without a major being involved. The reason why most folks have been unsuccessful is because they are unwilling to reinvest whatever profits they see into themselves. It's much easier to get the record label to front the bill and then complain about lack of marketing, distribution, etc., afterwards.

If they were willing to take the Ani Difranco route, and keep pumping that money back into the brand, they MIGHT see those heights, or at least some sliver of it.

>Drake is the biggest rapper currently and top 5 artist in the
>world. That doesn't happen w/o a major

This I agree with fully, but, Top 50 would be amazing for an independent hip hop artist.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

CalvinButts
854 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 07:09 PM

9. "you guys are circling this right back to the author's main point"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed Jul-23-14 07:11 PM by CalvinButts

if Snuggle Bear Drake is what actually sells...

and Rap doesn't really do numbers anymore unless its popified for a larger audience...

why are these labels so insistent on pushing utterly nihilist street crime rap?

_________
steamrollin'

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 06:40 AM

10. "360 deals have made record sales less important"
In response to Reply # 9

if they get a cut from action outside of deals(show,appearances,features) then without little to no promotion a profit can be made
Bobby Shmurda will drop mixtapes and perform this one song for 2 years and get dropped
epic will make its money
Bobby will learn indie is the best route for him
rinse wash recycle for the next cat

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sat Aug-02-14 12:55 PM

38. "generally speaking, Indie has always been best for rappers"
In response to Reply # 10

>Bobby will learn indie is the best route for him
>rinse wash recycle for the next cat

Years ago, Pooh Man explained to The Source the benefit of being on an indie label (Paris' Scarface Records) over a major (Jive/RCA, who released his first two albums). He said that he could sell "only" 100K on an indie and get paid way better than on a major 'cause the label would get about $600K in profit and his cut of that would be larger thanks to a more generous contract on Scarface over Jive.

During the 90's, I was trying to get my own label going and did a tremendous amount of research into it and, if you want to retain control over yourself as an artist and make decent money doing it, indie is ALWAYS the way to go.

---------------------------

I miss Tha D... But I'll never move back there.

R.I.P. Disco D

double 0
7006 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 01:22 PM

12. "RE: you guys are circling this right back to the author's main point"
In response to Reply # 9

Rap "ALBUMS" don't do numbers...

Rap singles are fucking selling like crazy.. just ask people like Kid Ink..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

double 0
7006 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 01:35 PM

13. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 8

Cats have done it... Rhymesayers, Strange Music etc...

but Hard CD sales were actually quite profitable. That isn't this game anymore...

Peep the FKA twigs article on Pitchfork. She has bigger (video) numbers and song plays than any Rapper really in the indie space yet she is borrowing 50 pounds from her step-dad just to eat.

Like does Bobby have the dough to pay for publicist at 10k a month? Radio at 250k plus? He isn't on the road and probably will never be in any real way since most promoters would much rather have a DJ or non-threatening rapper. Maybe he can get some club dates. Whose paying for Itunes co-op? Best Buy co-op?

You NEED their money when you scale so fast. W/o getting to deep most of these kids you see scaling on the new indie rap scene are trust fund kids or their team has dough

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sun Jul-27-14 10:17 AM

22. "Real talk..."
In response to Reply # 13

>You NEED their money when you scale so fast. W/o getting to
>deep most of these kids you see scaling on the new indie rap
>scene are trust fund kids or their team has dough

I always wondered how they went about things, but, this sheds some light. Back in the days, the dopeboys were using drug money to fund their rap dreams. I'm guessing trust funds are the counterpart of drug money in the underground scene.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 10:04 AM

26. "Drake is a poor example. He is mega-successful"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Jul-28-14 10:04 AM by spirit

Even if Baby is getting him for every unit he sells and taking a piece of the tour money, 50% (hell 10%) of the money Drake is making off touring and features alone is more than basically every indie artist on Earth will ever see.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 07:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "William Hung is one guy yet I can name ten terrible rappers with"
In response to Reply # 2

the same message that have been signed and most of the time shelved.

Also William Hung ain't selling products in his music these niggas do they are walking promotional videos and commercials.

And with that william hung ain't hip hop and he ain't on syndicated "urban" USA radio markets.

Sure its about money but its also about agenda and imagery.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

double 0
7006 posts
Fri Jul-25-14 06:08 PM

17. "RE: William Hung is one guy yet I can name ten terrible rappers with"
In response to Reply # 14

I named a number of people...

You really think Bobby Shmurda is gonna have an album??

Urban radio will play this (maybe) and that's it. One and done..

I do not think the song is strong enough to do anything...

The dance is what got anyone paying attention.. and that is harmless

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Tycredo
Member since Oct 06th 2012
366 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 09:37 AM

11. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

I read this and have mixed feelings about it…

On one hand, I feel like mainstream hip hop is pretty unbalanced…the amount of basically ignorant party/gangsta/thug rap is literally 95% of what's out there… I looked at a couple websites that covered Common's new album and there were 0 reactions from people.

I also think artists of predominantly "Black genres" (soul, R%B, gospel) do get publicity and shine without all the thug trappings. There are still HUGE artists of those genres getting promoted…maybe they're not as much in the mainstream eye.

I'd like to just see a little more balance…Listen to mainstream hip hop and you hear something like J. Cole and he sounds like Einstein compared to most of the artists out there…it's a pretty sad scenario.

Goodgame
Member since Nov 25th 2012
40 posts
Fri Jul-25-14 09:22 AM

15. "RE: Audience, Artist, and CEO"
In response to Reply # 0

I myself, am a fan of hip hop, and an artist to boot, so I have some pretty strong feelings about the subject that you have addressed. Just to keep it short, I would break the blame down into 3 sections...

Audience-- 13 to 26yrs of age is the main demographic. Rebelious, easily influenced, and often ignorant to the realities of life itself. These people want sex, drugs, violence, money, and materialistic shit. They have spent their entire lives sheltered from these things and once they get some freedom, they want to experience it in any way possible, and hip hop music is an avenue to provide that experience for youths and young adults. You would be surprised the number of people in that age range that don't listen to the songs that they like attentively, and by that I mean that they love Kendrick Lamar's "Swimming Pools", but have no idea that it is really more of an anti-alcohol song because they are too busy taking shots while the hook plays. These people need to hear curse word riddled bars sprinkled with N-Words or the music loses its appeal and authenticity to them. Non-Black listeners tend to view the songs as scores to small scenes in their lives, while the younger black listeners treat the songs as an audio version of the Bible, hence it becomes their way of life. And that is the 1st ingredient of this recipe to destruction. And for anyone thinking this...If you don't speak French would you listen to french rappers all the time, even though if you put in the effort to learn you could figure out what they were saying??? Well that is why these kids don't listen to Lupe, Talib, Pharoahe etc... Meek Mill or Wiz Khalifa is more on their level.

Question: What does the 27-45 yrs age group listen to???

Artist-- Like I said, I am an artist, so with this I am speaking from my own experiences. The middle ground artist have the best quality of music, but the toughest road to success because the majority of consumers push us to take one of two paths. You either make a really shiny pop hit, or you come with a really gritty grimey street banger. Anything else gets a lukewarm reception because like I said, the majority of listeners want one of two things. So why do we buckle under the pressure and pick something other than being true to what we really want to do.... because music is sooo disposable nowdays. Nobody buys albums, they by singles and specific tracks, so that fact increases the pressure to make a sure fire hit, and you end up with a saturation of lollipop bullshit or ignorant ass ni2Gershit. And it all starts to sound the same because everyone is emulating whats hot in the particular path that they chose, and hell sometimes they blur the two paths to the point of you not knowing whether the track is pop or street (ie. YMCMB). It is genius on one hand, but on the other it is the DEATH of ORIGINALITY. And of course, adding to the cluster fvck, are the countless number of no talent producers and artist who are in it strictly for a little fame and a quick buck that get lucky with that enormous "1 Hit Wonder" and write a success story that others aspire to duplicate. (The Laffy Taffy guys, Chief Kief, and now the dude who inspired this post)

Thought: Nas and Jay are both dope beyond argument, but Jay is by far the more successful of the two. No doubt, true story. But, what if, Esco and Hov switched FLOWS???? And when I say flows, I don't mean lyrics, I'm talking about DELIVERY styles.... Music is a very psychological animal.

CEO's-- You don't become a label head by being dumb. They know damn good and well every bit of what I just said is truth. If you had the knowledge that the average person is too blind to see right in front of their face, wouldn't you use it to your advantage??? You'd be a fool not to in this cutthroat world of business known as the music industry. Not only do these people hold all of the cards that they are about to deal, but they also stacked the deck before you even got to the table. That's real talk!!! Bottom line, if they help you in any way whatsoever, they are going to get at the least 65% of what you earned. It's not about black, white, red, brown, or yellow...its about GREEN. They know pennies have babies and make dollars, so they take every red cent they can get. And they know that if they throw what they consider to be crumbs your way, they can get a nice slice of your pie, and its been like that since music started getting pressed and sold. From publishing, to the pyramid scheme record label imprints, and now the 360 deals. When one avenue of cash flow dries up, they just open a new lane. They want the most people to consume their product, as possible. That's all there really is to the plan. So they take the knowledge that they have and use it to make that happen, and I would say that they are the least at fault in this cluster fvck called entertainment. Are they greedy, yes, but do they have it out for any certain color or creed, NO. Now there are people above these Ceo's of record labels and media outlets that have a more sinister agenda but that's a different post my friends. Open your eyes y'all, movies, music, and news run the world from an influential standpoint. So if someone had a devious plot and could line the pockets of a record company, a film production company, TV media outlet, or magazine publication to juuusssttt give the people a little more of THIS, wouldn't they be able to carry out their plan in an inconspicuous manner all the while leaving a trail of scapegoats in the path???!!!??? Wake-Up!!!

Don't fall for the Okey-Doke and let them slant your vision that they are picking on a select few because then the conspiracy, just becomes a silly theory. We've gotta look at the world in general, as a whole. Fox News, CNN News, BET, MTV2, Teen Mom, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Soprano's, Trailer Park Boys, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Real Housewives, Love and Hip Hop, Flava of Love, Basketball Wives, The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, The Real World, Duck Dynasty, (I'm sorry for this, but I gotta keep it 100) MMG, YMCMB, Lil Jon, Trinidad James, Wiz Khalifa, Kid Ink, Iggy Azalea, Trey Songz, Young Jeezy, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Jay-Z (and that's my man, on everything I love) Snoop Lion, The Wolf of Wall Street, Paid In Full, The Hangover, The Armed Forces Commercials full of minorties front and center, Mcdonald's commercials, Some of the Car Commercials, The Hair and Beauty Infomercials on late at night, Extenze, Adam & Eve commercials, Hugh Heffner, Victoria Secrets, Versace, LV, Hilfiger, 50 Shades of Gray, Family Guy, The Tea party, the shit written in school text books, and I'm just gonna stop there, because I'm sure you get the point.

Now, without making a statement, let me make another list.... Marvin Gaye, JFK, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Bob Marley, Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Lauryn Hill, D'Angelo, Katt Williams, Dave Chappelle, Chris Tucker, J Cole, Obama, Black Panthers, Allen Iverson, The Boondocks, Tyler Perry, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Paul Mooney, Farenheit 9/11, 2pac, Muhammed Ali, Abe Lincoln's coin, DMX, Cousin Jeff, Tavis Smiley, Stephen A Smith, Eminem, Jesus, Ghandi, Public Broadcasting Stations, Historically Black Universities, Tiger Woods, Poncho Villa, Che Guerrera, Geronimo, Big Krit, Outkast, FUBU, Phat Farm, Behold A Pale Horse, books banned from public schools and libraries, Occupy Wall Street, and I will stop here, right after, the TRUE details of World History.

When I was a little kid, like 9 or 10, my dad told me that its not a coincidence that all the reruns of black comedy shows air between 5-6:30pm, and made me watch the News with him because it was important that I know what is going on in the world. I thought he was being mean at the time, but now, I see it, and its not just the reruns of black sitcoms, its also George Lopez, Friends, 106th and Park, and others. Its amazing the lengths that they will go to, to shield, hide, and/or bury the TRUTH.

1, William Goodgame

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Fri Jul-25-14 02:30 PM

16. ""
In response to Reply # 0

bottom line dude could be trinidad james or soulja boy

double 0
7006 posts
Fri Jul-25-14 06:26 PM

18. ""
In response to Reply # 16

We can't put Souljah and Trinidad in the same sentence...

Souljah made a genuine national #1 SMASH in his bedroom. Then followed up with two strong as records.. Souljah Girl... Turn My Swag on...

He really did capture and help influence a generation latching on to and promoting Lil B and trying to help other artists break.

That kid was/is an industry and quiet as kept innovator and influencer... These other dudes are not anywhere near that..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Sat Jul-26-14 12:42 PM

21. ""
In response to Reply # 18

sb was perceived as a one hit wonder, but changed the game and was able to be a trendsetter a la riff raff, lil b, etc. he's a credible producer (yass bitch)
tj came & went
i was saying it could go either way

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Jul-27-14 10:39 PM

23. "he is, and still not answering the Op/Swipe's question"
In response to Reply # 16

double 0
7006 posts
Tue Jul-29-14 11:09 AM

32. "RE: he is, and still not answering the Op/Swipe's question"
In response to Reply # 23

Lol.. I thought I did...

IMO the label is looking at this more Harlem Shake/Macarena than "I Don't Like". I Don't Like was a HIT song (and the window to a movement) proven moreso by the fact that Kanye made it HIS song (I mean how many more ppl know the remix). "Hot Nigga" is a dance craze.

Few other things

1. We don't know if these are loss leaders for the labels. Sony/Epic is an investor in Vevo, partner with Youtube. Soon as the deal is done the video is immediately monetized. When it's officially released it'll stream well since people just want to imitate. We don't know the details of the deal but I'm sure they'll make their money back.

2. The noise is super thick in this industry. So when ANYthing cuts through it is worth looking at (possibly investing in). This kid won the lottery. He made a video posted it and somehow some woman dance took off. Doing what the writer is doing only increases visibility.

3. Whatever song he puts out next will do well on the sheer fact that he's being discussed now. So they'll make some money on that too

4. The path to profitability is ALWAYS to the right never to the left. So this will be the most extreme we will see him IF there is a long term goal.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Kid Ray
Member since Sep 23rd 2010
1702 posts
Sat Jul-26-14 06:56 AM

19. "Wrong. White people hate black people."
In response to Reply # 0

They open all the doors. Tyler Perry being on top is not cause of his hard work, it's cause cacs want coonery at the forefront of black entertainment. That's why YG, Young Thug, Cheif Keef, get all the shine they want dumbness at the top.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 01:08 AM

41. "^^^ slept on post right here."
In response to Reply # 19

---------------------------

I miss Tha D... But I'll never move back there.

R.I.P. Disco D

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Sat Jul-26-14 09:37 AM

20. "Probably this (plus quick cash while they're at it)"
In response to Reply # 0

>So what are the music industry’s reasons? Does it have
>anything to do with “the commercial rap to prison pipeline“?
>Is it about selling a lifestyle that will send impressionable
>youth to the private prisons media conglomerates invest in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn1rL6Tvsy8

Michelle Alexander, author of "The New Jim Crow"

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 09:54 AM

24. "as for non-black artists promoting nonsense, he's wrong"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-28-14 10:09 AM by spirit

"If it really just came down to the argument that sex and violence in music sells, we’d see it equally produced by all ethnic groups and equally targeting all ethnic groups."

First off, rap is a primarily black art form, so I don't think there will ever be a number of non-black rappers "equal" to the number of non-black rap fans (not in America, anyway).

But of the non-black rappers who have gotten major label deals, they certainly don't come close to being positive artists...

Eminem isn't exactly a healthy role model for white kids to follow.

Depending on your definition of black (because some Latinos would self-identify as black), The Beatnuts and Big Pun are not (non-black?) Latino role models either. Ditto for Cypress Hill (although Sen Dog might self-identify as black).

In fact, the industry almost *never* signs non-black conscious artists to major label deals. Invincible was pressured to change her content (she refused and is still indie). So, considering that *some* conscious black artists get signed, shouldn't the question be why more non-black conscious artists can't get major label deals? I mean, I'll give you Mackelmore (who is arguably indie with major distribution), but who else? It's not like there's a plethora of major label Asian conscious artists out there.

I will say, on the flip side, that the industry does sign a lot of f--kery that is likely harmful to impressionable youth in the hood. But I don't think Eminem is very helpful to an impressionable kid in the suburbs (his varied recent attempts at "inspiring" songs aside...I'm not sure what one would be motivated to do after hearing "Lose Yourself", but anyway...).

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

double 0
7006 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 11:04 AM

27. "RE: as for non-black artists promoting nonsense, he's wrong"
In response to Reply # 24

Really interesting point that Macklemore might be the first Conscious White MC to scale..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 02:41 PM

28. "3rd Bass would predate him as a white 'conscious' artist"
In response to Reply # 27

An argument could be made for the Young Black Teenagers, but not by me because I never listened to their music (LOL).

I'm sure there's at least one other white major label conscious artist I've forgotten. Didn't Bubba Sparx have at least one 'conscious' song? I never really listened to him either.

As a random side note, labels often talk about how they look to see who is moving units independently, to offer those artists deals. There are quite a few white indie rappers who sell reasonably well (El-P, Atmosphere, Aesop, etc). I wonder how many of them have been approached by majors over the years...

double 0
7006 posts
Mon Jul-28-14 03:11 PM

29. "RE: 3rd Bass would predate him as a white 'conscious' artist"
In response to Reply # 28

I said "scaled" specifically.. as in blew the fuck up...

In fact when Bubba Sparxx got more "enlightened" his career went down with it..

I look at Mack in a similar vein as the Rhymesayers artists who have done really well but not 2 number 1's in a row well..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Jul-29-14 09:47 AM

31. "I thought scale was a typo for sale/sell. My bad."
In response to Reply # 29

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 09:07 PM

35. "Very on point."
In response to Reply # 29

>In fact when Bubba Sparxx got more "enlightened" his career
>went down with it..

His second album was pretty much conscious, without being preachy. It was ALSO a very well executed concept album but tanked.

Guess the world just wasn't ready for his music ACTUALLY sounding country rather than him just looking it.

STILL would love to get my hands on the demos that Timbaland heard that made him sign him.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Tue Jul-29-14 03:16 AM

30. "Um... we live in a society where black folks are killed by police"
In response to Reply # 0

pretty damn often.

Where is the news?

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

jeanlouis61
Member since Dec 02nd 2005
3416 posts
Tue Jul-29-14 05:20 PM

33. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-29-14 05:20 PM by jeanlouis61

i will always lend an ear to a "BLACK FOLKS DONT OWN HIP HOP ANYMORE" type of discussion, but i will always enter with this......

we feed the negative stereotype all of the time. it would stop if we just stop feeding the "nigga, nigga,nigga", "all I do is drink, fuck, smoke weed" persona and fill the spectrum with variety. there is variety out there not getting signed everyday, yes, but we have our buying dollars are our protesting voices that will change that, or could......and as far as bringing our white rappers friends, and the "no black rapper was number 1" last year items into it, i will say until it changes that when you have mostly white people buying the music, and white people at the concert you are going to have more and more white people imitating and participating in the artform. the more that happens the less you see us. and the more that THEY sing songs that the world wants to hear the more it looks like racism(not there there arent racists acts in the industry).

and miss me with the macklemore thing. He paid his dues, he is white, yes, but appealing to the gay community in song is a three pointer for the win

follow me @oldirtyplaster on the Twitter thing.....i say awesome stuff

Goodgame
Member since Nov 25th 2012
40 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 05:58 AM

34. "RE: Scarface Weighs In With Some Knowledge..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-30-14 05:58 AM by Goodgame

Here are links to videos where the LEGENDARY, Scarface, talks briefly about what is going on in not only hip hop, but the entire music industry. I don't think Scarface has any reason to lie, and he is an industry insider, so please take a few minutes to check these out if you haven't seen them...They are certainly worth your time if this is an issue important to you.

Watch from 0:00-5:41 on this first video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUpeKyy-CE

Watch from 0:00-9:15 on this second video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-Qn0FG2dQ

1, William Goodgame

double 0
7006 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 09:46 PM

36. "RE: Scarface Weighs In With Some Knowledge..."
In response to Reply # 34

There is no consipiracy man.. they are too much time and effort

There is an effort to make money... simple and plain.. if you look like you can make money then boom..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

CalvinButts
854 posts
Fri Aug-01-14 09:54 PM

37. "sounds like you're following the same playbook"
In response to Reply # 36

_________
steamrollin'

double 0
7006 posts
Sat Aug-02-14 05:22 PM

39. "RE: sounds like you're following the same playbook"
In response to Reply # 37

>
Nah man i just don't need search in the shadows for an answer right in front of my face...

We can argue whether the imagery is detrimental and whether its worth it... But just the premise that 'the industry hates black people' it holds no weight..

The 'industry' did not make this vine dance famous.. Regular ass people did.. They will always be reactive because they are too big to move in any trendsetting manner..

Now...

If you want to try and eliminate horrible records like this you have to start in a place before the industry even sees it.. Thats community based and a whole other fuckin convo

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Sat Aug-02-14 09:26 PM

40. "All of this."
In response to Reply # 39

>>
>Nah man i just don't need search in the shadows for an answer
>right in front of my face...
>
>We can argue whether the imagery is detrimental and whether
>its worth it... But just the premise that 'the industry hates
>black people' it holds no weight..
>
>The 'industry' did not make this vine dance famous.. Regular
>ass people did.. They will always be reactive because they are
>too big to move in any trendsetting manner..
>
>Now...
>
>If you want to try and eliminate horrible records like this
>you have to start in a place before the industry even sees
>it.. Thats community based and a whole other fuckin convo
>
>

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

CalvinButts
854 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 08:24 AM

42. "lol"
In response to Reply # 39
Sun Aug-03-14 08:27 AM by CalvinButts

the industry signed the dude to a deal to make music, not vine videos

and this is after similar "success" stories have failed to even put out an album

their resources could be used in a better way to make them long term money

but they would rather give this clown & his parentless cronies shine

i'm sure they wanna make money, of course they do

but they are also part of something much larger, much more calculated & much more sinister

in my opinion of course

you may just be a little too invested in the industry yourself to muster a wider view of the situation

clearly you have no issue w/ putting on your cape on to protect an industry that has proven time & time again that it will pick the most poisonous products to push

no, you're right "the people" and their demand are to blame, these benevolent masters are simply providing supply, nothing to see here, move along

*shrug*

_________
steamrollin'

double 0
7006 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 07:28 PM

43. "RE: lol"
In response to Reply # 42

Maybe I'm invested.... I should be this is my business...

But I can still be rational..

How many artists have been signed in the last month?

How many albums will never drop from said artists?

Sha Money signed dude because he saw something.. This isn't just a random white guy.. this is a producer who helmed G Unit...

This might be a losing bet.. but it is a much stronger bet than a singer in a bar with no connections, no ability to make their own records and no clue about who they are..

He broke the noise.. and got a deal... that is a first big step.. but there are MANY more important steps he may never see and shit again when it comes down to it..

This record is NOT a smash... so I doubt it will reach any critical mass you have to worry about..

Holler when it does PSY numbers

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

CalvinButts
854 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 08:25 PM

44. "RE: lol"
In response to Reply # 43

>Maybe I'm invested.... I should be this is my business...
>
>But I can still be rational..
>
>How many artists have been signed in the last month?

no clue

>How many albums will never drop from said artists?

depends on who is signing them & why

>
>Sha Money signed dude because he saw something.. This isn't
>just a random white guy.. this is a producer who helmed G
>Unit...

LOL

G Unit's track record in the industry is hardly enough for this discussion

>This might be a losing bet.. but it is a much stronger bet
>than a singer in a bar with no connections, no ability to make
>their own records and no clue about who they are..

that's the only option?

>He broke the noise.. and got a deal... that is a first big
>step.. but there are MANY more important steps he may never
>see and shit again when it comes down to it..

it might in fact never be intended for him to break w/ actual
art

maybe they sign the dude for a quick buck knowing they cam drop him later

that seems to me like a short term investment

>This record is NOT a smash... so I doubt it will reach any
>critical mass you have to worry about..
>
>Holler when it does PSY numbers

PSY's art was nothing like this though he could easily have been signed for a different reason

gotta say, i'd like to see the evidence of the companies behind these signings level of investment in the PIC

_________
steamrollin'

double 0
7006 posts
Sun Aug-03-14 08:35 PM

45. "RE: lol"
In response to Reply # 44

Let's be real..

This is EPIC

They have MIchael Jackson... he did $126m a year... that is their bread plus maybe a few radio hits.. This year they've done A Great Big World, Future .. Tamar did well last year..

TBH they might actually ONLY be going for quick turnover.. It's not like they will every have another MJ

Maybe Outkast... HA we know they aren't dropping..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

double 0
7006 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 10:00 AM

46. "RE: The Music Industry Hates Black People (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

People shouldn't worry too much..

Last night Chance did this http://youtu.be/RAzuD8UQGJA probably 80-100k people there

and Shmurda did greystone manor nightclub in LA...

his impact is light

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Peabody
Member since Jan 18th 2011
10296 posts
Mon Aug-04-14 12:59 PM

47. "you have tunnel vision"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

Lobby The Lesson topic #2893500 Previous topic | Next topic