Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2893473

Subject: ""Wild Style" break beats to be released on 45 rpm vinyl - RS" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 10:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Wild Style" break beats to be released on 45 rpm vinyl - RS"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lost-wild-style-breakbeats-unearthed-for-lavish-7-disc-vinyl-set-20140723

Lost 'Wild Style' Breakbeats Unearthed For Lavish 7-Disc Vinyl Set
Historic hip-hop instrumentals get first official release in America

By Christopher R. Weingarten

July 23, 2014 8:55 AM ET

On August 12th, DJ and label owner Kenny Dope is releasing all 13 instrumentals produced for historic hip-hop flick Wild Style as a set of seven 45s in "casebook packaging" on his own Kay Dee Records.

There are few documents in rap history more important than the 1983 film, a collaboration between grindhouse director Charlie Ahearn and hip-hop diplomat Fab 5 Freddy that ended up as the most vivid documentation of early hip-hop culture ever produced. However, the music that Grand Wizard Theodore cut, Busy Bee rapped over and the Rock Steady Crew breakdanced to has never seen official release in America.

"There were years of people trying to find out where the beats came from and how they could get some," Ahearn tells Rolling Stone. "There were some bootleg releases as far back as the 1980s.

Much later, Mr. Bongo from the U.K. released an 'official set' on LPs alongside a release of the Wild Style soundtrack. But this is different. The boxed set is like a classic 45 singles booklet that I remember holding my 45 collection in the 1960s."

To skirt the potentially expensive licensing on the records Bronx DJs spun in the parks, Ahearn commissioned original recordings, produced by Freddy and featuring Blondie's Chris Stein on guitar and jazz-and-R&B drummer Lenny Ferrari behind the kit. They pressed 100 copies and handed them off to the DJs who would cut, slice and mutate them throughout the film. Of the 13 breaks on the record, the DJs only utilized five of them, meaning that eight of the tracks will be released in America for the first time.

"The hardest part was convincing Charlie Ahearn on what my vision was for the project," says Dope. "I knew from the beginning I wanted the release to be presented in book form. I wanted people to see the actual track sheets and tapes…When it came to Wild Style, I felt it needed to be celebrated in a special way, not just be released as a simple overpriced piece of vinyl. The history is worth packaging as a collectors item."

The set is suitably lavish: a 28-page book, photos from Ahearn's archives, shots of the tape boxes that were lounging in his closet all these years, a thorough history from writer Brian Coleman and a "14th side" of vinyl featuring Wild Style-themed etchings. And unlike the bootlegs that came before, Dope dug into the master tapes, re-EQed them and extended the breaks — perfect for rapping, dancing or simply geeking out over.

"Just to hold and look at the tapes made me say 'wow,'" says Dope. "Getting my hands on these reals felt like being a kid in a candy store."

Pre-sale orders for the set begin Wednesday at Kay-Dee Records.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
damn that's dope
Jul 23rd 2014
There ain't nothing out here for you. Oh yes there is...... this
Jul 24th 2014
Depending on the $$ im interested in copping this
Jul 24th 2014
its $70
Jul 24th 2014
Copped.
Jul 24th 2014

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Wed Jul-23-14 06:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "damn that's dope"
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42759 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 07:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "There ain't nothing out here for you. Oh yes there is...... this"
In response to Reply # 0

*commenceth the breakage*

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Depending on the $$ im interested in copping this"
In response to Reply # 0

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Johnny
Charter member
4446 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 08:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "its $70"
In response to Reply # 3

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Thu Jul-24-14 02:36 PM

4. "Copped."
In response to Reply # 0

Always wondered where that fantastic music came from myself.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

Lobby The Lesson topic #2893473 Previous topic | Next topic