Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2890264

Subject: "Congratulations Aphex/IDM fans for ethering everybody!! " Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Jun-27-14 03:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Congratulations Aphex/IDM fans for ethering everybody!! "

Oh yeah. Yall laughed when it was like a kickstarter paying $15 for a digital download. But peep what happened though.

For background an unreleased Aphex Twin album had only 4 test pressings which to this point had never been heard in full except for by those four people. Then one popped up on ebay. So the WATMMers did the kickstarter to raise the funds to by that vinyl. It was ripped and then all those who contributed got a download thereby freeing the music from being only in the hands of those with the vinyl. Oh sure you can go to your favorite download site and get it illegally now, but the only reason you can do that is because we all threw in some change to free the music.

Well after that the vinyl again went up for auction with half the proceeds earmarked for the charity of choice by WATMM (Doctors Without Borders). That vinyl went on to sell for a whopping $43,600, out selling a lot of the previous most expensive vinyl (beat Elvis). To top it off it sold to the creator of Minecraft who said half the sale price wasn't enough for charity and ended up giving $30,000 to Doctors Without Borders.

Because the internet.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
that is pretty awesome
Jun 26th 2014
bitches
Feb 11th 2015
it is
Feb 12th 2015
good music will prevail through
Feb 12th 2015

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Thu Jun-26-14 06:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "that is pretty awesome"
In response to Reply # 0

how's the album?

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Feb-11-15 10:36 PM

2. "bitches"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-11-15 11:04 PM by imcvspl

i'd like to think this is what set off the deluge.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄â–â–ƒ
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 04:50 AM

3. "it is"
In response to Reply # 2

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Thu Feb-12-15 10:57 AM

4. "good music will prevail through "
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2890264 Previous topic | Next topic